WVSOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have my interview for WVSOM at the end of Jan. I was curious if anyone could PM me some advice going into the interview besides reviewing this website for feedback and researching the website. Any information at all wouldbe helpful, thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I have my interview for WVSOM at the end of Jan. I was curious if anyone could PM me some advice going into the interview besides reviewing this website for feedback and researching the website. Any information at all wouldbe helpful, thank you! :)

Relax, but still be professional. This interview is very laid back. I talked about how I was very interested in primary care and how their school would prepare me for primary care. If you are interested in primary care maybe do something along those lines. Also, like you said, be knowledgeable about their school this shows you are interested.

Relax, but still be professional. This interview is very laid back. I talked about how I was very interested in primary care and how their school would prepare me for primary care. If you are interested in primary care maybe do something along those lines. Also, like you said, be knowledgeable about their school this shows you are interested.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, it's almost a guarantee that they'll ask you why you want to do Osteopathic and why WVSOM. I think everyone in my group got that question. Also the only question that surprised me was based on what I had in my personal statement on my application so review your essays too and you should be good to go!

What I did to study was go the the interview feedback thread, and copy/paste a bunch of questions from previous interviews into microsoft word, and then write my own answers for those questions. By the time I was done I had about three pages worth. I then reviewed those answers for about 2-3 days before the interview, and I was able to answer pretty much any question they threw at me w/o a hassle.

Hi
So I interviewed at this school a couple of weeks ago, and I honestly don't see the culture in this town. Im not saying this to be mean at all but I honestly saw the least amount of diversity and culture of any school or town that I've visited thus far. Maybe it is the fact that its a small town and therefore not for me, but Id love to learn what else this town has to offer. I think the facilities of the school are amazing, but I was so dissapointed by the lack of diversity at the school and the town in general. I know I was only there for less than 24 hours, but please prove me me wrong! I'd love to see the diversity in this town!

My apologies, let me clarify. When I refer to culture and diversity I'm not referring to race or skyscrapers. Though the class has a pretty solid chunk of minorities and varying ideological opinions. At first it may seem culture is absent because of the size of the town, but when you look deeper in what the town has to offer and its style is thriving.

I'm referring to things like our theater company, historical sites, the Greenbrier down the road(A 5 star resort with a bomb shelter built for congress), a good smattering of food types and quality of meals (Check out the tavern / Food and Friends / The Irish Pub / The Stardust Cafe / The General Lewis Inn / Either the baking companies), smaller parks, nearby whitewater rafting and skiing (within an hour), the state fair, and some very pretty homes. Enjoyable events exist like "Taste of our town" give the town personality. There is a feeling of community among the residents and students (in my opinion). There are several places that will offer you discounts simply for being a student at the O School. Good biking and hiking trails are close by too.

At first I was worried about the size of Lewisburg as well. Small towns are hard for some people to stomach and Lewisburg is the smallest medical school town in the country. That's something to consider if small towns aren't for you. I hope you don't feel lead astray by my previous post - but I do believe that Lewisburg has culture, its just not the same "culture" you'd find a in metropolitan city.

I want to stress by the way every applicant needs to find the school that is best for him or her. I'm very proud of my school, its student body, its faculty, facilities, and educational opportunities. I hope WVSOM is a good fit for you guys, but don't make yourself miserable to make any school the right "fit".

I just got an interview invite from WVSOM and will bet interviewing on Feb 20. Is it just me or does anyone else thing airline tickets to WV are really expensive ? :( I just hope there are still spots left by the time I get to interview.

Hi,

I interviewed twice with WVSOM...once in April for the 2008 class and didn't get in and again in Dec for the 2009 class and did get in.

The best advice I can give you is to know yourself and be able to sell yourself and BE yourself. These interveiwers are not there to "trick you". They want to get to know you and not put you in a situation where you cannot succeed well. When I got that denial, the floor dropped out from under me, but I called and took their advice and I am such a stronger medical student for 2009 than would have ever been for 2008. Also, they really read your application. So pay attention to your essay and to your reference letters....get another one if you don't think they are as strong as you would like.

Good luck!

Are you trying to fly into the Greenbrier Valley Airport? If you're looking to save money on a flight, you'd probably do better to fly into the airport in Roanoke, VA. It's about 90 minutes away from Lewisburg so you'd have to rent a car but flights are generally a lot cheaper there than the Greenbrier Valley Airport. It seems like most OOS students who live far enough away that they have to fly home always use the airport in Roanoke.

I just got an interview invite from WVSOM and will bet interviewing on Feb 20. Is it just me or does anyone else thing airline tickets to WV are really expensive ? :( I just hope there are still spots left by the time I get to interview.

Flying there IS extremely expensive.

Where are you coming from? I opted to drive 8 hours from NYC. Much cheaper. I don't regret it; the scenery was awesome. :D

Is there a certain day the admissions office sends out interview invites or can it be any day of the week?

I think it might actually be cheaper to fly into Charleston, WV rather than Roanoke, VA. I've found that flights into charleston tend to be about $100 cheaper than to roanoke (from Boston).

Members don't see this ad :)
Flying to either airport from the midwest is extremely expensive. I actually drove from South Dakota and it ended up being cheaper than flying. Weird I know but the drive is actually very pretty. Also I know they're still accepting because I was just accepted on tuesday so good luck!

I have an interview at WVSOM Friday! :D

I'm so excited, this school fits me soooo well. I've visited at least four times now, and taken a tour every time. The folks working in admissions are amazing!

Can't wait!

Anyone else interviewing Friday? I'm in the afternoon bunch.

I have an interview at WVSOM Friday! :D

I'm so excited, this school fits me soooo well. I've visited at least four times now, and taken a tour every time. The folks working in admissions are amazing!

Can't wait!

Anyone else interviewing Friday? I'm in the afternoon bunch.

How did your interview go this past Friday? Did you get an answer today?

I'm interviewing on the 27th! I am so excited. Anyone else?

Hello All!

I was offered an interview today. Problem is that I'm already interviewing at another school that day. I'm sort of put off by the invite which states: "If for some reason you are not able to attend the interview, it is imperative that you contact us immediately, as this will allow another applicant the opportunity to interview. Also, please be aware that we will NOT be able to reschedule your interview. "

I thought this was kind of weird. Sounds like "if you can't conform to our schedule, we're not interested in you." I've been following this thread and heard all about how nice the school was. Thoughts?

Hello All!

I was offered an interview today. Problem is that I'm already interviewing at another school that day. I'm sort of put off by the invite which states: "If for some reason you are not able to attend the interview, it is imperative that you contact us immediately, as this will allow another applicant the opportunity to interview. Also, please be aware that we will NOT be able to reschedule your interview. "

I thought this was kind of weird. Sounds like "if you can't conform to our schedule, we're not interested in you." I've been following this thread and heard all about how nice the school was. Thoughts?

I'm sure that if you call and tell them your circumstance then they will work something out with you. The admission staff at WVSOM are the nicest people I've met.

Declined my interview on 3/6 due to a UNECOM acceptance. I hope it goes to an SDNer! Good luck you guys.

Hey I just got an interview for this coming Monday 2/16. Anyone else going that day? I have afternoon interviews.

hey howard100, I had the same situation when they offered me an interview. But this was back in September. They offered me an interview on the same day I had another interview and when I called them back I just told them I had another interview and Angie offered me a different day. I accepted the next interview day she offered. I think they mean that once you confirm your interview date, that they will not reschedule you from there.

Hey Guys:

I have an interview on the 9th and will be flying into Charleston the 8th. I am a little nervous about driving alone for a couple of hours in the mountains. Is anyone flying into Charleston on Sunday March 8th at 5? If so PM me, maybe we can arrange a rental car together! Thanks so much.

Hey Apple182003! I am going to that interview too!!! I haven't arranged my flight yet so maybe we could work it out!!! Have you heard from anyone else yet?

Hey Howard100, did you call them because I had a test that day and they moved me up a week... I think they are flexible but they want to try to avoid a bunch of people rescheduling the interviews...

Just a follow up. I called, and yes it's true: The admissions office people are the nicest ever. Switched my interview no problem because of the situation (another interview scheduled for the same day). Anyone else interviewing 2/25?

Interviewed on Feb 20, and my status was just changed to "Accept Applicant".

Congrats Tawmus...i was there with ya on Feb. 20th. (guy from ga.) I'm still waiting on my DO letter, i have two MD recs already there but still waiting on the one the actually matters (DO)...frustrating. after talking with you i think we have about the same stats...so hopefully i'll hear some good news when i'm complete. We can watch football on the weekends...maybe UGA will play Texas in a bowl game, haha..go dawgs

I have an interview scheduled for Wednesday, March 18th. From what you know what are the odds of being accepted by simply being offered and interview? I'm an older applicant at 41 years of age. I have clinical and sales experience. I scored 25 on MCAT and have a 3.2 science GPA. My mission perfectly aligns with the primary care and rural, under served mission. What do you think?

I have an interview scheduled for Wednesday, March 18th. From what you know what are the odds of being accepted by simply being offered and interview? I'm an older applicant at 41 years of age. I have clinical and sales experience. I scored 25 on MCAT and have a 3.2 science GPA. My mission perfectly aligns with the primary care and rural, under served mission. What do you think?

Relax, same as with PCSOM if you got an interview you have a good shot.

I'm sure you'll do fine. If you're offered an interview, as long as you prepare for the interview and put your best foot forward you'll get in. Trust it.

I withdrew my application and interview invitation a few weeks ago - hope this helps one of you get an interview and a spot at WVSOM! Good luck!

Koojo,
Thank you for the encouragement and advice!

Has anyone gotten accepted lately?

JustJan,

I understand you did not get into WVSOM after your first application. What do you think held you back? What did you do to make correction? Thanks for the advice.

For all those getting interview invites, I am curious how long it took WVSOM to issue those? My primary has been done since August and I haven't heard a thing whatsoever from them. I know they don't do a secondary unless they invite you for an interview, but I am surprised to have heard absolutely nothing. My applicant status on their website has said "Decision Deferred" since day one. While I would still love to interview here, I would almost rather them just reject me if they aren't planning on sending me an interview invite.

For all those getting interview invites, I am curious how long it took WVSOM to issue those? My primary has been done since August and I haven't heard a thing whatsoever from them. I know they don't do a secondary unless they invite you for an interview, but I am surprised to have heard absolutely nothing. My applicant status on their website has said "Decision Deferred" since day one. While I would still love to interview here, I would almost rather them just reject me if they aren't planning on sending me an interview invite.

I heard about a week or two after I submitted my primary..and that was back in August as well. If I were you I would give them a call and ask them what "Decision Deferred" means to them and if there is anything you can do. It never hurts to call the admission people. They are REALLY nice.

I heard about a week or two after I submitted my primary..and that was back in August as well. If I were you I would give them a call and ask them what "Decision Deferred" means to them and if there is anything you can do. It never hurts to call the admission people. They are REALLY nice.

I would for sure call or email. They really are the nicest admissions people I have ever interacted with! I was on "decision pending" for a few months, and then sent an email and a week later had an interview invite.

On that note - - - I was accepted!!! I am so happy. This is my first acceptance, and I really enjoyed my time on the campus. I really feel like it is an environment in which students can excel. I'm the kind of student that had to really work hard and struggle to get good grades in undergrad. I really feel like at this school, more than others, that I would have the help and support to make sure that I can succeed and do well.

With that said, I had one other interview invite. It is in the state I live in, and I have family all around, the tuition is less, and I own a house here. So if I got accepted I would go. My $2000 first deposit to WVSOM is due on Monday. ***Has anyone ever been able to get an extension on this deposit? I'm going to try to get one, but I was just wondering if anyone had any luck with getting one? **

I would be thrilled to be a student at WVSOM, it just seems the logistics might work out better at this other school.... and if I could avoid having to loose the $3000 in the event that I do get into this other school, I would like to try to!

Thanks for any advice, and WHOOOO!!!!! :)

What e-mail can we contact them with? I have been decision deferred for so long now. Is the class full? are they still doing interviews?

What e-mail can we contact them with? I have been decision deferred for so long now. Is the class full? are they still doing interviews?

Ditto on the email question. The only person I would even think to contact is the lady whose name was on the initial I received after they got my primary? Annette somebody maybe?

Ditto on the email question. The only person I would even think to contact is the lady whose name was on the initial I received after they got my primary? Annette somebody maybe?

Contact either:

Moore, Annette [email protected]

or

Bowyer, Angela [email protected] (she goes by Angie, but if it's the first time you are emailing her, I suppose I would address her as Ms. Bowyer)

I interviewed two weeks ago. I know the class isn't full yet... but they are probably getting closer now. I applied last year and was on "decision pending" for about 4 months before I finally got my rejection notice. This time around I waited about 2 months before I became proactive about it and sought them out by emailing, and then as I mentioned immediately got an interview. I think it made a HUGE difference letting them know just how interested I am. My advice would be to email them and hope for the best. If you really want to go here, and don't get in this year, next year get your application in early, and then check in immediately asking about the status. Follow up every few weeks/month until they grant you an interview. This is one school that definitely looks at you as a whole applicant and not just your MCAT score or your GPA. But their ideal applicant would work in primary care, in a rural area, and stay in WV.... so if you don't fall into at least one of those categories, and can't convey that in your application or emails you probably aren't going to get selected. Oh, and my last word of advice is send your LOR's immediately. Don't wait to be invited for an interview even though they tell you that you can wait. It helps to have everything on record. I don't know if they actually look at them in any way to make the decision on who gets an interview, but it does at least show them you are serious about the school.

If you have any further questions feel free to post or pm me. This was my first medical school acceptance, and a huge milestone in my life. I have been working at this for quite a few years now and if I could help someone else have their dream come then I'd be happy to help!

And remember, Never Give Up! :) :thumbup:

I've been seeing "decision deferred" for about 6 months now. I've called and emailed almost weekly but I guess I just can't get my foot in the door. The good news is, I haven't been rejected!

I've been seeing "decision deferred" for about 6 months now. I've called and emailed almost weekly but I guess I just can't get my foot in the door. The good news is, I haven't been rejected!

What have they told you when you called to ask on the status of your app?

What have they told you when you called to ask on the status of your app?

Basically, they tell me that every Tuesday my application is up for review by the review committee. From there, they make one of three decisions: invite for an interview, rejection, or defer decision. At this point I'd much rather just hear something more concrete...

Well, I got the call yesterday morning! Interview on April 6th! Hang in there guys!

With that said, I had one other interview invite. It is in the state I live in, and I have family all around, the tuition is less, and I own a house here. So if I got accepted I would go. My $2000 first deposit to WVSOM is due on Monday. ***Has anyone ever been able to get an extension on this deposit? I'm going to try to get one, but I was just wondering if anyone had any luck with getting one? **

I would be thrilled to be a student at WVSOM, it just seems the logistics might work out better at this other school.... and if I could avoid having to loose the $3000 in the event that I do get into this other school, I would like to try to!

When I was accepted a few years ago this was an option. But, I don't know how long of an extension that people received (I never paid my deposit and thus forfeited my position in the class.

I was, and still am, pissed about how this school treats their prospective students. For me, I didn't apply EDP and I was interviewed in the beginning of September. After receiving an acceptance 4 days later, they wanted me to pony up $2000 by Dec 15th, and another $1000 by March 15th. This was before I had even heard from other schools where I was interviewing.

Oh well, I let the Dean know how I felt.. and it seems as if nothing has changed.

GL!

PS. I know a 2nd year that is there right now and is doing great. She seems very happy with her school.

When I was accepted a few years ago this was an option. But, I don't know how long of an extension that people received (I never paid my deposit and thus forfeited my position in the class.

I was, and still am, pissed about how this school treats their prospective students. For me, I didn't apply EDP and I was interviewed in the beginning of September. After receiving an acceptance 4 days later, they wanted me to pony up $2000 by Dec 15th, and another $1000 by March 15th. This was before I had even heard from other schools where I was interviewing.

Oh well, I let the Dean know how I felt.. and it seems as if nothing has changed.

GL!

PS. I know a 2nd year that is there right now and is doing great. She seems very happy with her school.

Don't the majority of the schools want to know an answer by Dec 15th though?

Don't the majority of the schools want to know an answer by Dec 15th though?

Every MD school requires a $100, refundable deposit within two weeks of acceptance. You have until May 15th to get your entire deposit back.

WVSOM on the other hand, if you get accepted, they want to keep your $2000-3000 if you decide to go anywhere else. It's unfair to the applicant and I had a few words with the Dean when he called to find out why I had decided not to accept the offer.

It's a crappy way to get students to come to a specific school.

Does anyone know how many spots are still open/ how full the class is?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.