WVSOM Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In response to Meggielou's excellent analysis, remember that on discussion boards the person with an axe to grind (for good or poor reasons) is usually the one who talks loudly while people who are happy with the program don't usually have much to say.

As for the other issue, from my vantage point (assistant professor teaching in several classes) WVSOM is in excellent shape and the accreditation is not going to be a problem. Don't let panicky posts detract from the good opinions of the other first and second-year students who have been offering their input as well.

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you in the class of 2012 next fall!

Peter Ward

Members don't see this ad.

I've received some questions about housing, so I'll just answer it here. If you have the opportunity, I'd recommend getting a place within five miles from the school. I've heard that there are a good number still looking for housing within walking distance of the school… yeah, let's be realistic here… this late into the game and looking for housing that close… I'm trying not to laugh. Those were gobbled-up long ago. Ask the students that are here as to what they know is available… often times, there's jems that we know are out there that may not advertise publically.

For example, there's a sweet place that another student in my class just bought that's got spots for two roommates… it's $425 per month, and only 2 ½ miles from school :thumbup::thumbup:. His email is [email protected]. If you're still looking for a place, I'd personally recommend getting a hold of him.

Remember, ask the other students about housing!!!! We know what it's like in searching!

Last edited:
Does anyone need a roommate?? According to the thread, I guess I'm starting to look for an apartment a bit late. ....I'm a female, 25y/o, non-smoker. If you are interested please send me a PM. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
They are unhappy students who have a post history of whining and complaining (seriously check out the post history). Not having entered med school yet... Correct me if I'm wrong, but even in undergrad we had kids who did nothing but bitch and moan about everything when it seemed like everyone else was happy.

Consider it whinning and complaining, criticism whatever. I just wish I had read a little into the school before I came here.

Another thing, dont be so quick to think that just because people don't talk, they are happy. There are way to many of us here that are scared of administration. Its like a little China here. If you truely love it, no matter what I say it isn't going to change your mind, but maybe there were a few people that were on the fence that I helped out, if so I am thankful.

If you do get here and decide you don't like it, paint on your smile and duck your head. New ideas, change and vocals that have anything to say that isnt positive are quickly silenced. Anyone ever read Anthem or Brave New World? If not and you are going to WVSOM, save it until you get out of here. The parallels are scary. There is a political amendment in WV congress that the Dean told us to "keep out of becuase you (students) don't really understand politics, leave it to me, I understand and have your best interest in mind." I have heard too many stories of this school ruining peoples careers and am too scared to put my name to it!

Consider it whinning and complaining, criticism whatever. I just wish I had read a little into the school before I came here.

If you do get here and decide you don't like it, paint on your smile and duck your head. New ideas, change and vocals that have anything to say that isnt positive are quickly silenced. Anyone ever read Anthem or Brave New World? If not and you are going to WVSOM, save it until you get out of here. The parallels are scary. There is a political amendment in WV congress that the Dean told us to "keep out of becuase you (students) don't really understand politics, leave it to me, I understand and have your best interest in mind." I have heard too many stories of this school ruining peoples careers and am too scared to put my name to it!

ok, miserableWV, I can certainly relate to being in a place where there are a lot of questionable policies, but can you be more specific? How/why has the school ruined people's careers? What kinds of new ideas have been shot down? All my experiences with the school have been extremely positive and I'm happy with my decision to attend. I'm not saying I think WVSOM is perfect, I obviously know nothing of it other than my dealings with admissions, financial aid, students (and that's mostly through Facebook), and word of mouth, but I honestly haven't heard anything quite like this. I'm not writing you off as a whacko conspiracy theorist, but I think we'd all like to have the background info to judge what you describe as a Communist reign. Maybe give us some detailed insight that you wish you had had before enrolling?

ok, miserableWV, I can certainly relate to being in a place where there are a lot of questionable policies, but can you be more specific? How/why has the school ruined people's careers? What kinds of new ideas have been shot down? All my experiences with the school have been extremely positive and I'm happy with my decision to attend. I'm not saying I think WVSOM is perfect, I obviously know nothing of it other than my dealings with admissions, financial aid, students (and that's mostly through Facebook), and word of mouth, but I honestly haven't heard anything quite like this. I'm not writing you off as a whacko conspiracy theorist, but I think we'd all like to have the background info to judge what you describe as a Communist reign. Maybe give us some detailed insight that you wish you had had before enrolling?

I would like to hear all of this information myself. I am giving up an entire life and changing my career and it all hinges on this school which I chose out of others that accepted me. Please elaborate.

I am a second year here at WVSOM. And here is my advice to you, so take it what it is worth. Everywhere you go there is going to be happy people and unhappy people, that is just a fact of life. Where you decide to go is up to you but make sure you know what makes you happy. If you have always lived in a larger city with lots of people around and could not see your life any other way, then my answer is don't come here. If you think that you would not mind the small town life (even though the traffic here can sucks sometimes) and not have all the perks of a big city and this is the place you want to come, then you will be happy. Are there things that annoy me at this school? Of course! But I do know that if would have decided to go somewhere else there would have been things that I did not like there as well. Some times people always believe that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. And we all know that is not true. If you enjoyed it here when you visited and got a good feeling I am sure you will like it. If you had a not sure if this is for me feeling then don't come, it is really that simple. Now let me reiterate the fact that not everything is perfect here and it is far from paradise. If you want an example of what I don't like and what people in the school and I have heard people outside of the school talking about is their mission statement. It is something about training rural doctors for west virginia. If they really wanted to train people to stay in west virginia then they would not have more than half of the class from out of state! I have talked to people that have nothing to do with the school mock WVSOM just because of that reason. But other than that it people truly do respect the education this school delivers.
And about this trash about the school not getting accredited. People, come on! Don't believe everything you read on a message board, it is absurd.
So again if you do chose to come here you will get a good education and that is the honest truth. The basic science teachers here are really good and they do want to see you do well. The OMT professors are also top notch. If you actually try and get to know them by talking to them outside of class you will learn so much more. Now I am not trying to sell you on this school because I don't care if you come or not! This decision is up to you. If you do come here and end up miserable well chances are if you would have went some where else you probably would have ended up with the same attitude. If you want to know anything else about the school or what not I will try and get back to you. Now that I have wasted valuable board studying time posting a message on SDN i wish you all the best and good luck!
P.S.
Sorry if it sounded incoherent I am in a bit of a hurry.

If you enjoyed it here when you visited and got a good feeling I am sure you will like it.

That is what made my decision, I toured the school during interview and came back after I was accepted for a second tour. I got a great feeling both times and I really felt at home in Lewisburg and my wife said the same thing. I already knew of the schools educational excellence from connections in the AOA and was never worried about the accreditation issue. Thanks for your input, I think I made the right decision.

I just got notice that I made the PBL roster, I look forward to working with all of you over the coming years. :clap:

I just got notice that I made the PBL roster, I look forward to working with all of you over the coming years. :clap:

congrats! It seems like there are a lot of SDNers doing PBL, which should be a good thing :)

Grats guys! I agree with the posters who say that things are ok at WVSOM.

Forget the "administration" and "statistics" You, as a medical student, need to do your due diligence and study for boards from day 1. ;) So buy a board review book or some micro/pharm flashcards, leave it by the toliet in your place and read em for 5 minutes a day from day 1. You'll be shocked how much you learn. 700 x 5 = 3500 minutes of study which is almost 60 hours.

Also, listen to Dr. Ward. He's a good guy and is always willing to help provided you are putting in the effort. I believe the vast majority of the staff are that way. I have met many many wonderful people at WVSOM.

Incoming PBLers, my advice to you is study from day 1. Don't let your group mates steer you towards minutia. Some of the basic science faculty LOVE that you are looking at biochemistry down to the sub-atomic level, but all in all, beyond knowing a few pathways is useless in the real world of medicine. Learn your cycles, learn your important enzymes and move on. Learn to spot when you are delving too deep into learning issues...and for Pete's sake, never ever take home "Psychosocial Learning Issues." Those should be filed under "Common Sense" hehe. I always took flak from everyone for being on the golf course during times when the SBLers were in class...but what people leave out is when I walked 18 holes, I had my anatomy book or my board review book or my flash cards in hand. I passed my COMLEX 1, COMLEX II and COMLEX PE on my first try. Find time to study and creative ways to study and you WILL make it through with your sanity intact. ;) Find classmates to study with productively.

If I can make it through medical school, anyone can with the right amount of motive and drive.

So, don't get caught up in the lame school politics. Do your best and become the doctors you all were destined to be. ;)

Much love,
Richie

Meggielou and Student DO,
Congratulations to the both of you.:hardy: I know ya'll were waiting for a while to hear. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I was busy graduating and doing the family thing since Friday. I know this doesn't matter now but I was accepted into the PBL program fairly quickly as I was a graduate student and spent most of my last few years learning in a PBL type setting.

As for attending WVSOM and all the negative comments. I visited and interviewed at several schools. I agree with jgl1980 that you have to trust what your gut feelings say. Two of the places I interviewed at sent off bad vibes and this was the second visit I made to them; the first was for an open house. I knew during the interview (had good vibe during open house) that I didn't think those places were right for me. I got a great feeling from Lewisburg though; and small towns don't bother myself or my wife since we both attended undergraduate in a small town.
You can't let the negativity get you down. One of my committee members said focus on what you can control and the rest of everything else will resolve itself. This doesn't mean don't be involved it just means that there is no sense in fretting over things such as low board scores. My wife is a PA and she said that even their board scores from her school varied from year to year and drastically one year. She commented that the school said the scores were lower than both school and national averages but also that the semester grades were also lower for that class. The fact is we are not there and our class might work harder and prepare more for the boards. Its time that students stand up and take some responsibility for their failures and poor performances and not blame the instructors. I am not saying the instructors were perfect and can not comment on that since I am not there. I can say, from personal experience as an instructor, that students tend to blame faculty and staff for poor performance and failures instead of realizing they slacked off and paid for it.
Anyway, I am excited to be attending WVSOM and look forward to getting started. I know several graduates from there and they are top notch. SO ALL YOU DOWNERS OUT THERE :)thumbdown), STOP :beat: YOU AREN'T GETTING ME DOWN!!:D. FOCUS on the POSITIVE. WE ARE IN MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!

So is anyone doing or going anywhere cool, fun, exciting etc this summer before we are expected in Lewisburg in August?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten any emails regarding classes and stuff, or just the Financial Aid emails? I think I read somewhere that we have to be CPR certified before matriculating, but do we have to be First Aid certified too?

Has anyone gotten any emails regarding classes and stuff, or just the Financial Aid emails? I think I read somewhere that we have to be CPR certified before matriculating, but do we have to be First Aid certified too?

Yeah I thought that I had herd something about that too, but I could not remember. I just updated my CPR, and I think my BLS is good until 09, but I dont remember hearing anything other than CPR.

Also, in response, to the FA question that someone asked, I thought that Wachovia was the best choice, and the people from Fannie Mae or whatever just seemed ******ed on the phone.

I called and asked about this, you need adult and child CPR/AED certification. You can get it fairly quickly it is a short course especially if your are just renewing.

I spoke to Sabrina I believe and she said that we get our first aid and cardiac life support as well as airway obstruction etc. training at the school.

Yeah I thought that I had herd something about that too, but I could not remember. I just updated my CPR, and I think my BLS is good until 09, but I dont remember hearing anything other than CPR.

Does everyone have all of their shots??? Being older I did not get the required immunizations (quantity) as a child and had to go get an MMR shot from my doc as well as HEP. He looked at me funny and had to check to see if it was OK but he did it.

congrats! It seems like there are a lot of SDNers doing PBL, which should be a good thing :)

There is an interesting correlation between the desire to attend PBL and the people that took the initiative to be involved in this board (thread). I am looking forward to great interaction like this at the round (oval) table.

I called and asked about this, you need adult and child CPR/AED certification. You can get it fairly quickly it is a short course especially if your are just renewing.

When I spoke with Sabrina McKinney she indicated that the Health Care BLS course will cover all this.

Student DO,
I just finished up my last Hep C vaccination and have to wait the 4 - 6 weeks for titer checks. I asked Sabrina if the titers were required prior to matriculating and she said that it is probably cheaper to wait until we get there for the titer checks. She also indicated that she has people entering rotations that don't have everything done!! Kinda weird how they slipped through the cracks. Guess its not a big deal until you get that far anyway.

thanks for the info, guys! I'm getting excited for August :)

When I spoke with Sabrina McKinney she indicated that the Health Care BLS course will cover all this.

Student DO,
I just finished up my last Hep C vaccination and have to wait the 4 - 6 weeks for titer checks. I asked Sabrina if the titers were required prior to matriculating and she said that it is probably cheaper to wait until we get there for the titer checks. She also indicated that she has people entering rotations that don't have everything done!! Kinda weird how they slipped through the cracks. Guess its not a big deal until you get that far anyway.

HEP C? I don't have that one, all they have listed on their immunization sheet is HEP B. I have to go check again ...

It's Hep B friends. Hep C vaccine doesn't exist.

Sorry about that, meant to say Hep B.

Meggielou,
I am getting excited as well for august!!

So what made the PBLers choose that route?

Sorry about that, meant to say Hep B.

Meggielou,
I am getting excited as well for august!!

more time to support my gym habit. Just kidding. Kind of.

But seriously, I learn better by sorting through material myself and then bouncing questions/ideas off others. I had a few courses like that in undergrad, and did really well and retained much more information from those classes.

* I am older and I learn better on my own
* I also have a gym habit - and WV has a GREAT weight center
* I like interaction, not being talked at, and I ask a lot of questions
* I learn better studying a broad range of topics, not a single subject (big picture)
* I have been a network engineer for >20 years and when I started with computers there were no manuals, you taught yourself, so I have become programed to think like that

I also think that people who like sitting in lecture tend to be a little more shy. You will learn when you meet me that I AM NOT SHY.

I hear a lot of mention about facebook on here, has anyone actually set up a profile on one of these and which one is recommended?

Although my physique does not represent a person who enjoys the gym i really do enjoy going. StudentDO maybe I could lift with you when we get there, if your interested. I haven't had a good lifting partnern since undergrad.

I have no idea about the facebook stuff.

Although my physique does not represent a person who enjoys the gym i really do enjoy going. StudentDO maybe I could lift with you when we get there, if your interested. I haven't had a good lifting partnern since undergrad.

I have no idea about the facebook stuff.

You got it! It is always good to have someone yelling at you while you are trying to destroy those last few muscle cells before you collapse. :smuggrin:

Since my kids will be at school and wife at work I figure I can workout and then study at the school until I pick up the kids. It is amazing how an hour of weights and cardio can really boost your mental capacity and help you focus. Especially if you are an adrenaline junkie like me.

You got it! It is always good to have someone yelling at you while you are trying to destroy those last few muscle cells before you collapse. :smuggrin:

Since my kids will be at school and wife at work I figure I can workout and then study at the school until I pick up the kids. It is amazing how an hour of weights and cardio can really boost your mental capacity and help you focus. Especially if you are an adrenaline junkie like me.

agreed. I'm definitely an adrenaline junkie - I was a field hockey goalie in college (and high school) and I swam competitively.

As for the facebook/myspace thing, I have only facebook because it used to be more private, you could join only if your school set up a network. Now I think anyone can join, so I don't think there's a big difference between the sites.

so as to the questions about why PBL, I am going to be SBL, I think mainly because I just never had any classes set up like PBL and I herd that if its not for you and you have any hesitations then its the worst thing in the world. So despite the fact that I think I would do well in that format, I am a little nervous about it and went SBL. But I do well learning on my own and bouncing questions off people and what not, so if there is anyone that likes the occasional study group SBL or PBL please let me know cause I definatly need some study peoples.

On the facebook front. I have both myspace and facebook, but I find facebook better and easier to check and use, plus there is the group for our graduating class, which is really cool. My name on there is Patrick Rush, so anyone on here please fell free to add me, you all appear to be proactive people.

Sweet!!! I look forward to it. I do enjoy the cardio and weight lifting but often get bored by myself. And I agree that it is amazing what some time in the gym can do for your mind and your sleep.

I think it is important that you understand and know which way you learn best. I am sure you'd do well in a PBL setting but don't think now is the time to discover that. I have been doing PBL for many years now and often find it intolerable to sit through just a straight lecture. Mainly b/c I get bored quickly and b/c I can learn what you are trying to say faster on my own and get onto something else. I agree with the others that I mostly like bouncing ideas and questions off others and that is mainly when I don't understand things on my own. Sometimes a different perspective can help get the point across. I enjoy the PBL class for that reason and as long as you don't have the one person who is trying to figure out how something works. That's for a PhD not for an DO/MD from what I understand :confused:.

On the facebook front. I have both myspace and facebook, but I find facebook better and easier to check and use, plus there is the group for our graduating class, which is really cool. My name on there is Patrick Rush, so anyone on here please fell free to add me, you all appear to be proactive people.

OK, can you PM me with some more pertinent info? There are a number of "Patrick Rush's" out there.

OK, I took the plunge and made a facebook thing. I don't have a picture on there because I was much cuter when i was younger but my wife won't let me put an 8 year old pic up there!

I will take care of it shortly.

I will PM my info to those on the top of this list so you can find me, I already joined the WVSOM 2012 group.

Has anyone given any serious thought to their specialty? I know that everything will probably change after years 3 and 4 but I have been researching from several perspectives already.

Another student gave me a really good writeup on the rotation sites in WV and their differences, based on what kind of learner you are there are definite advantages and disadvantages to each location.

i plan to go down to west virgina next week to secure housing. you really sound like you know a lot about the housing situation down there, ie. where the apartments and townhouses are. i'm having a tough time locating anything over the internet (just to get an idea) through craiglist, etc. i was wondering if you could send to me a list of names of places? Anything and everything would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much!!

The faster you figure out what you want to do the more likely you are to match. You do not have to have everything figured out before you start but start to narrow it down. If you want to do something very competitive having research and contacts in that field is a real plus. I did not have a good focus until the end of third year and it was almost to late.

Class of 2008

Has anyone given any serious thought to their specialty? I know that everything will probably change after years 3 and 4 but I have been researching from several perspectives already.

Another student gave me a really good writeup on the rotation sites in WV and their differences, based on what kind of learner you are there are definite advantages and disadvantages to each location.

i plan to go down to west virgina next week to secure housing. you really sound like you know a lot about the housing situation down there, ie. where the apartments and townhouses are. i'm having a tough time locating anything over the internet (just to get an idea) through craiglist, etc. i was wondering if you could send to me a list of names of places? Anything and everything would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much!!

Hey, I have housing already, but when I was looking I used the housing list that the school gave us. I spoke with a lot of those people on the phone, and some were able to send pictures via email. Also, there were two companies that have some properties that I looked at http://reamproperties.com/ (they had more houses then anything else), and www.maeholdings.com (which is where I rented from), also there is Woodland Akers, which is right next to the school I think, they don't have a website but their number is (304) 645-4403. Goodluck

thanks 108 for the housing info!!

Hey man, Yeah I have been trying to give some serios thought to what field would make the happiest. So far I think I have just come up with what I know I would be unhappt doing and a few things that I know I find intresting. I read a book that I thought was helpful, The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty, by Brian Freeman, MD, pub. by McGrawHill. I think I may do some more shadowing before I move up there too.

Oh hey can you send my a copy of that write up about the rotation sites? Thanks.

Hey man, Yeah I have been trying to give some serios thought to what field would make the happiest. So far I think I have just come up with what I know I would be unhappt doing and a few things that I know I find intresting. I read a book that I thought was helpful, The Ultimate Guide to Choosing a Medical Specialty, by Brian Freeman, MD, pub. by McGrawHill. I think I may do some more shadowing before I move up there too.

Your rotation info is on it's way.

My original goal was always family/internal medicine. My fear is that over the next 4 years with all of the nurse practitioners getting licensed to practice solo us primary care guys won't have a place in the eyes of the insurance company.

StudentDO,
Could you send that rotation info on my way as well. I would be interested in what it has to say.
I did some family med shadowing and although I enjoyed it I don't think I would relish doing that everyday. My background lends itself towards entering OB/GYN. I really enjoyed it especially since it includes surgery. But I am trying to go in with an open mind. Before starting grad school I said I didn't want to study folliculogenesis or genetics and that is what I ended up doing and love the topic.

Hello I am also interested i that write up. Will you please send it to me as well. Thanks a lot!

does anyone know if WVSOM has an ob/gyn department?

DOctor 2012,
Not sure what you are asking. They have faculty that teach OB/GYN and in fact I was told that they are in negotiations to bring in a practicing physician to lecture to 2nd yrs. If your looking for oppurtunities to get involved in that specialty I am sure they are available.

For those looking for housing, I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1440 sq. ft. house for rent on a quiet cul-de-sac. It's an ideal size for a small family or a couple of roommates. Washer & dryer & yardwork are included but utilities are not included. Electricity, water, and trash average about $120/mo. Cable/Broadband is available at the house. The house is located about 1 mile from WVSOM. Most pets OK. Can be partially furnished. Lease can start any time in June, July or August and rent is $1000/ month.
Pictures of the house as well as a floor plan can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7432333@N02/sets/72157600064571547/detail.
The pictures are from a year ago and since then, one of the bathrooms has been completely remodelled. It's much nicer than the pictures show.

Please contact me, Sean at [email protected] or 919-451-9284 if you're interested or you have any questions.
-Thanks-

Thanks bigLing. I am interested in OB/GYN and the reason I was asking about a department was because I was looking at ob/gyn residency programs just to find out what they require and one of the requirements was a recommendation letter from the ob/gyn department of your medical school. so thats why i was asking....are there many people interested in ob/gyn at wvsom that you know of??

Don't worry about WVSOM not having an ob/gyn department. If they required an ob/gyn department head letter Dr. Foster the head of clinical education will write it. I applied to several places that needed department head letters and they all accepted letters from Dr. Foster or from the Clerkship attending in my specialty. Several people just matched ob/gyn from the class of 2008.

Thanks bigLing. I am interested in OB/GYN and the reason I was asking about a department was because I was looking at ob/gyn residency programs just to find out what they require and one of the requirements was a recommendation letter from the ob/gyn department of your medical school. so thats why i was asking....are there many people interested in ob/gyn at wvsom that you know of??

Oh thats great! thanks a lot jlc060. do you happen to know where they mathched?