WVSOM Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all who are accepted so far!!

Hello everyone I have an interview on 11/26 and was wondering if anyone who interviewed already could give me some advice? I interview in the afternoon session. Did anyone sit in on a PBL session?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to all who are accepted so far!!

Hello everyone I have an interview on 11/26 and was wondering if anyone who interviewed already could give me some advice? I interview in the afternoon session. Did anyone sit in on a PBL session?

Thanks!!

Good Luck!!! I had an afternoon interview as well. I went to a PBL session and really liked it. The interview was really laid back. It was a 3 on 1 format. They really want to get to know you better and hear you explain weaknesses and strengths. The whole day was great. The Facilities are amazing.

I just heard that I got accepted into the PBL program! Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was sent an email asking me to clarify my understanding of the nature of the PBL program. I got really nervous and thought about for 2 or 3 days. After I sent my reply, I recieved an email that same day from Dr. M saying that I had been accepted.

Call Dr. M or shoot him and email asking about the status of your PBL application. They don't always remember to email you after your acceptance. I emailed Mod like 3 months after I submitted my PBL app and had been accepted but never got confirmation.

Call Dr. M or shoot him and email asking about the status of your PBL application. They don't always remember to email you after your acceptance. I emailed Mod like 3 months after I submitted my PBL app and had been accepted but never got confirmation.

Sounds Good, Thanks. What part of Colorado are you from? I grew up in Broomfield.

I was sent an email asking me to clarify my understanding of the nature of the PBL program. I got really nervous and thought about for 2 or 3 days. After I sent my reply, I recieved an email that same day from Dr. M saying that I had been accepted.

Thanks. Hopefully I'll get an email soon too.

I emailed Dr. M and he said they're forming a new PBL committee which won't be meeting until after Thanksgiving. So I guess if we haven't heard yet we have to wait awhile longer :scared:

I emailed Dr. M and he said they're forming a new PBL committee which won't be meeting until after Thanksgiving. So I guess if we haven't heard yet we have to wait awhile longer :scared:

Thanks mkendall!

I am from a small town in the middle of the mountains but I went to college and we own our house in Grand Junction. We are about 40 miles to the Utah border and 1.5 hours to Moab.

i applied to WVCOM really late and was hoping if anyone could share their stats. thanks!

I am from a small town in the middle of the mountains but I went to college and we own our house in Grand Junction. We are about 40 miles to the Utah border and 1.5 hours to Moab.

That's cool. I went to basketball camp at Mesa State in high school. Grand Junction is a great place and so is Moab. How do you like the PBL program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely LOVE it! It was definately the right choice for me. I also have three children so it is nice to have more flexibility.

All right! Count me in. WVSOM Class of 2012 :D

I absolutely LOVE it! It was definately the right choice for me. I also have three children so it is nice to have more flexibility.

That's Awesome! I think it will be right for me too! Just waitng to see if I am in it. I have twin 2 year olds and one coming in April. What ages are you kids? Boys or girls?

Hey Class of 2012. Congratulations to those who have been accepted. I'm happy to join you!! I just got my letter yesterday:clap:

Have any of you started considering how you are going to pay for tuition? I loved the school when I visited and am excited to be a part of WVSOM but as an out of stater, I am scared to death about the cost of WVSOM.

Hey Class of 2012. Congratulations to those who have been accepted. I'm happy to join you!! I just got my letter yesterday:clap:

Have any of you started considering how you are going to pay for tuition? I loved the school when I visited and am excited to be a part of WVSOM but as an out of stater, I am scared to death about the cost of WVSOM.

congrats, Soca! :welcome:

as for OOS tuition at WVSOM, yeah it sucks. I was lucky enough to be able to take a year off between undergrad and med school, so I'm hoping to save enough money to pay for 4 years of rent without having to take out a loan for that. But there are a lot of ways to have your tuition reimbursed after graduation... I'm not sure if this is fact, but I read somewhere that if you practice in WV for 5 years, the state pays for med school. Can anyone else confirm/refute this?

I know there are other programs that will pay back loans, but I've been too lazy to look them up... :rolleyes:

Anyway, see you in the fall!

Hello everyone,
I've been looking for this thread. I was accepted Oct 16 and I am really excited about starting. Sent in my first deposit the other day. I applied Friday to the PBL track. Anyone else interested in that or already applied to it? Or am I just the weird person in this thread? (lol)

obviously I am not the weird one. For some reason I couldn't see the first page of posts. I really hope I get into the PBL. I talked to Dr. M by email last week and on Saturday. He said he hopes to get the committee together before the upcoming holidays. I think he mentioned that it should appear on the web as well under the check list option as to which program you are in. Might have misunderstood that though.

futrdrwebb, I am also a mountaineer. Are you in the evansdale biochem or the better biochem up in the agschool? I am working on my graduate degree right now. Look me up if you get a chance. Although it is not a day to be a mountaineer fan wherever you may be!

Hello everyone,
I've been looking for this thread. I was accepted Oct 16 and I am really excited about starting. Sent in my first deposit the other day. I applied Friday to the PBL track. Anyone else interested in that or already applied to it? Or am I just the weird person in this thread? (lol)

Congrats! Hopefully we'll hear soon about the PBL program.

Soca and Bigling, congrats to both of you!!!

Bigling, while I certainly will not disqualify you as the wierd person on this thread, you definately aren't the only one interested in PBL. I got accepted into PBL a couple weeks ago, before this new comittee was formed (I hope the old comittee wasn't tossed due to bad judgement.) I'm really excited to start as well. I'm anxious for the new PBL comittee to form too so I know who I'm gonna be working so closely with over the next couple of years.
Soca, in regards to your OOS tution question, I'm not sure about the 5 year WV setup that MKendall is talking about but I know that NHSC has some great programs. It basically boils down to for every year of school they cover you owe them a year of service in an underserved area. The great thing about it though, from what I understand, is that you're contract with the hospital is separate from your deal with NHSC. Check out their website.

Soca and Bigling, congrats to both of you!!!

Bigling, while I certainly will not disqualify you as the wierd person on this thread, you definately aren't the only one interested in PBL. I got accepted into PBL a couple weeks ago, before this new comittee was formed (I hope the old comittee wasn't tossed due to bad judgement.) I'm really excited to start as well. I'm anxious for the new PBL comittee to form too so I know who I'm gonna be working so closely with over the next couple of years.
Soca, in regards to your OOS tution question, I'm not sure about the 5 year WV setup that MKendall is talking about but I know that NHSC has some great programs. It basically boils down to for every year of school they cover you owe them a year of service in an underserved area. The great thing about it though, from what I understand, is that you're contract with the hospital is separate from your deal with NHSC. Check out their website.

apj2010,

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the NHSC program but it is my understanding that they rarely accept first year students into their program and that it is VERY competitive. I don't want to bank on getting the scholarship although I will be applying. I have looked into the military HPSP scholarships too but I'm just not sure if I really want to join the military.

Just wondering if anyone knows of any other opportunities out there. Thanks!!

apj2010,
I doubt the committee was reformed due to bad judgement. It might not have been reformed. Dr. M just made it sound like it was. Who knows. All that matters is that your in!!

Soca,
I have also looked into the NHSC scholarship. My understanding is yes that it is very competitive but not biased towards MS2-4. They will pay for four years of school (including books, tuition, supplies, + stipend). I read somewhere, and I believe it was on this site, that the government wants to generate a large carve out that is dedicated to MD/DO students instead of just a health professions carving which is eligible to all in health professions from dentists to nurses. If you look on their website and look at openeings for NHS Scholars they will give all the possible sites to work. I pulled a few up and they stated on one that salary was nationally competitive. Problem is they just can't draw people tosome areas. I even saw a couple of openings to work int the Baltimore, MD area. Only catch is you have to due primary care (family med, ob/gyn, internal med) and changing your mind will cost you a lot of money (up to 3X cost + interest).
Also, I am not sure where you are from but if you live in a some what rural place or live close to a rural place you can try contacting a local Hospital Service Administrator and they will help pay (some to all in certain cases) for your education as long as you agree to serve the community for X number of yrs.
Also look at PHS. Not sure about their program. Just not to keen on having to go where they tell me to. I am not sure thats the case but I need to check. And if it is I might as well go join the military.

apj2010,
I doubt the committee was reformed due to bad judgement. It might not have been reformed. Dr. M just made it sound like it was. Who knows. All that matters is that your in!!

Soca,
I have also looked into the NHSC scholarship. My understanding is yes that it is very competitive but not biased towards MS2-4. They will pay for four years of school (including books, tuition, supplies, + stipend). I read somewhere, and I believe it was on this site, that the government wants to generate a large carve out that is dedicated to MD/DO students instead of just a health professions carving which is eligible to all in health professions from dentists to nurses. If you look on their website and look at openeings for NHS Scholars they will give all the possible sites to work. I pulled a few up and they stated on one that salary was nationally competitive. Problem is they just can't draw people tosome areas. I even saw a couple of openings to work int the Baltimore, MD area. Only catch is you have to due primary care (family med, ob/gyn, internal med) and changing your mind will cost you a lot of money (up to 3X cost + interest).
Also, I am not sure where you are from but if you live in a some what rural place or live close to a rural place you can try contacting a local Hospital Service Administrator and they will help pay (some to all in certain cases) for your education as long as you agree to serve the community for X number of yrs.
Also look at PHS. Not sure about their program. Just not to keen on having to go where they tell me to. I am not sure thats the case but I need to check. And if it is I might as well go join the military.

bigLing2012,

Thank you for the info. I have looked into all of those options as well. I am really scared about the cost of a medical education!! and especially the cost of tuition at WVSOM.

FYI: I have a friend who is a doctor working for NIH. She completed her schooling through the military HPSP scholarship. She told me that the Public Health Service Scholarships are only for students who attend the Uniformed School of the Health Sciences and that they are very competitive.

Thanks again for the information. I appreciate it!

Welcome and congrats on joining the family!!!

I know that the process is frustrating and makes you bug-out, but it's worth it in the end.

As a Peer Mentor Coordinator last year, I know that as the time gets closer, you'll have even more concerns about housing, phones, insurance, books, loans, all that good stuff. Don't feel afraid to drop me a line... "AF DO", "JohnUC33", and "medmom" are all PBL, as well. We've been where you are now... utilize that resource!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As well, if anyone is having issues with the PBL enrollment process, let me know.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say that I heard back from Dr. M and I received an acceptance to the PBL program. Have a safe and Happy Holidays.

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to say that I heard back from Dr. M and I received an acceptance to the PBL program. Have a safe and Happy Holidays.

Congrats Bigling!!!

Thanks apj2010! Looks like we will be spending a good bit of time together.

Congratulations 2012'ers!

congrats to everyone!

If you have any questions about anything really (lewisburg, housing, school, classes etc) feel free to message me on here! I will help you any way I can...

Oh yeah, I'm an OMS 1 in SBL.

And I'm here still as always. PBL tried and true. Match coming on the 11th so hoping to get my first choice back home. :hardy:

If you have any questions about PBL at Wvsom you can always check my thread on the mentor forum. Also, check out the PBL 2nd years on here. They know more about the changes than I did since they were just coming around around my time. :luck:

Congratulations to everyone who got it - we're looking foreward to seeing you!

I'm one of the anatomists here but you will also see me in histology, neuroscience and facilitating in PBL. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the anatomy course and I'll be glad to help. As far as tuition and housing goes, I'm afraid I can't be of much help other than referring your to the admisions and financial aid offices. They work hard to help out everyone who asks.

The PBL committee is meeting regularly and hopefully they'll be getting back with everyone who is interested very soon. Dr. M and the committee have a lot of interest this year and they're trying very hard to give fair consideration to all the applicants, so don't worry if you haven't heard anything for a while.

As for the SBL people, the lecture halls are looking good and we're in the middle of streamlining the systems courses, so there will be a lot of good stuff in store for you as well!

Lastly, we've made some huge changes to the anatomy lab over the last week. Each station now has a flat-screen monitor positioned so that everyone can see what is going on around the lab without having to cram around any one table.

Again, congrats and Richie - hope you're kicking some butt in rotations!!!

ok, so I applied for PBL way back when (September) and haven't heard anything, positive or negative. I know people have been accepted to the program, but are there any rejections out there?

ok, so I applied for PBL way back when (September) and haven't heard anything, positive or negative. I know people have been accepted to the program, but are there any rejections out there?

I applied for the PBL program back in September as well. I have emailed Dr. M a couple of times and he writes every time that he hopes to get back to me soon with an answer. I hope they get back to us soon.

I applied for the PBL program back in September as well. I have emailed Dr. M a couple of times and he writes every time that he hopes to get back to me soon with an answer. I hope they get back to us soon.

thanks, businessman. Good luck!

Hey businessman and meggielou,
I hate to hear that Dr. M hasn't decided on your applications to PBL yet. There's been a couple other people that said they haven't heard anything either. I have no idea how they decide on candidates. I would definitely give him a call and/or send him an update essay and CV. Sometimes the best things accidentally slip through the cracks. Keep your heads up. Although I am sure it would be nice to know if they didn't accept you. He told me they would let me know either way. Either way I will see you in the fall. Congrats to both of you.

hey...i got accepted on Jan 15 but have yet to apply for PBL, but am hoping i still can...can I ? lol

hey...i got accepted on Jan 15 but have yet to apply for PBL, but am hoping i still can...can I ? lol

:D
I don't forsee a reason as to why it would be too late... they are still accepting students for this next year,

Just call Dr. Mod and tell him that you're interested. He'll explain to you the process.

... and if anyone would have questions for a 2nd year PBLer, I'm just an email away.

Last edited:
I hate to hear that Dr. M hasn't decided on your applications to PBL yet. There's been a couple other people that said they haven't heard anything either. I have no idea how they decide on candidates. I would definitely give him a call and/or send him an update essay and CV. Sometimes the best things accidentally slip through the cracks. Keep your heads up. Although I am sure it would be nice to know if they didn't accept you. He told me they would let me know either way. Either way I will see you in the fall. Congrats to both of you.

Thanks, bigling. I feel stupid because I never thought to update my file with what I've been doing since I applied to PBL... great suggestion!! :)

Hi WVSOM students, I have a few rental properties... currently rented to a students, touch base with me if in the near future you should need a rentals...Sharona:)

I'd like to introduce myself to the class of 2012...I'm looking forward to it.

Congrats on your acceptance Class of 2012!!! You are going to love it here. The class of 2011 has set up a facebook group so can start meeting each other. If you got any questions at all, please email me at [email protected]

Enjoy the Summer!

Greetings, I just got an invitation to interview at WVSOM on March 28th. I am worried that it is too late in the cycle. The admissions office assured me that each interview date has open slots for matriculation. Does anyone on the forum know of how good the chances are for getting in despite interviewing so late?

Greetings, I just got an invitation to interview at WVSOM on March 28th. I am worried that it is too late in the cycle. The admissions office assured me that each interview date has open slots for matriculation. Does anyone on the forum know of how good the chances are for getting in despite interviewing so late?

I see that you are from Hawaii; in knowing the WVSOM admissions office personally this is my opinion. The whole office is very caring and considerate of others; in that I don't for one second think that they would want to you fly in from across the country if you weren't a strong candidate for one of the slots. If you nail your interview you should be fine. I know several individuals that got in from march all the way up to the week before school.

I just found out today that I was accepted to the PBL program!!! I am in Lewisburg right now looking for a place to live.

Congrats class of 2012. Hope you enjoy your time at WVSOM. For those looking for housing, I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1440 sq. ft. house for rent on a quiet cul-de-sac. It's an ideal size for a small family or a couple of roommates. Washer & dryer are included but utilities are not included. Electricity, water, and trash average about $120/mo. Cable/Broadband is available at the house. The house is located about 1 mile from WVSOM. Most pets OK. Can be partially furnished. Lease can start in June or July and rent is $1000/ month
Pictures of the house as well as a floor plan can be found here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7432333@N02/sets/72157600064571547/detail/
Please contact me (Sean: [email protected]) if you're interested.
-Thanks-