WVSOM Class of 2012!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone. I got my letter of acceptance yesterday and was thirlled to get it. I am very torn right now between LECOM and WVSOM. I love the school at Lewisburg but am aprehensive about the small town. I am married and my wife wants to continue to work once we move. I have looked at the job market in Lewisburg and it does not seem to be too open. I have about a week to make my decision. I am also wondering about the housing market. Can we find a rental property or are we going to have to buy a home. Anyone else have answers to my concerns? Also does anyone know if WVSOM is still accepting applications for PBL?

Thanks in advance,

FireDoc

Members don't see this ad.

hey, congrats! when did you interview? i interviewed on 2/22 and haven't heard from them yet. however, i did have to send out my DO letter following the interview, which was sent out 2/27. should i be expecting a decision soon?

Hey guys, congrats to all you guys who have been accepted so far and good luck to those who haven't. I was unsure at the time I was accepted whether I wanted PBL or SBL but now i've decided I want to do PBL. How do I apply for that now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, congratulations to everyone who was accepted. I am posting to see if anyone is interested in a roommate for this year. I Am looking around at places now, and I feel like it would be cheaper and easier to adjust with a roommate. I am a 25yo, clean, non-smoker male. If anyone has a place and is looking for a roommate message me, likewise if you dont have a place and want to room, I am calling places now so message me in that case too.

hey gang, I am getting ready to graduate from WVSOM and I wonder if there would be any interest in purchasing my trusty gaming laptop I acquired in my 2nd year of school. Would come preloaded with all of the "test study materials" and board review software. Would also be compliant with the school's new wireless network (verified last week when I stopped by the campus). Would throw in a pre-installed World of Warcraft account and some games for those who desire. If there is any interest I'll post the specs here.

-Richie

hey, congrats! when did you interview? i interviewed on 2/22 and haven't heard from them yet. however, i did have to send out my DO letter following the interview, which was sent out 2/27. should i be expecting a decision soon?

Goodlife,
I interviewed on 2/15 and recieved my letter of acceptance on 3/6. My status on the webpage changed on 3/4. During the interview they told me it would take about three weeks to hear if accepted. If your file was not complete at time of interview you may have to wait a little longer. Best of luck to you.

FireDoc

Hey guys, congrats to all you guys who have been accepted so far and good luck to those who haven't. I was unsure at the time I was accepted whether I wanted PBL or SBL but now i've decided I want to do PBL. How do I apply for that now?

Cook,
Dr. Modrzakowski is in charge of the PBL program as WVSOM. If you are interested in that pathway you need to file an applicaiton with him. You can get his contact info from the staff directory page on the WVSOM website.

FireDoc

Goodlife, I'd suggest calling Dr. M directly if you want to get into PBL. You'll need to write a short statement and mail it to him stating your reasons for wanting to be included in the program, as well as why you believe you are well-suited for the course of study!

Cheers!
Richie

Hi everyone! I was accepted to WVSOM back in February but I just found this thread. I'm really excited to meet everyone!!

I was accepted in December but also just found this forum. I look forward to meeting everyone. It is going to be a great first 2 years.

Has anyone thought about where they would like to do clinicals? (I plan WAY ahead for things).

IN REPLY TO: Late Interview

I would think you have just as much chance as the rest of us. I don't think they would have invited you for an interview if they did not think you were a potential candidate for admission. Good luck and I hope to see you in the fall.

I think I may go to WVSOM, Got in at LECOM too, not sure which one to go to, im thinking WVSOM, since they had cooler toys. Im opting for the Navy HPSP so money isn't a problem. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I may go to WVSOM, Got in at LECOM too, not sure which one to go to, im thinking WVSOM, since they had cooler toys. Im opting for the Navy HPSP so money isn't a problem. What do you guys think?

I think one of the most important factors in deciding is where would you feel most comfortable. Of course, in this thread, everyone is going to say WVSOM. Personally, I interviewed at LECOM-Erie and, regardless of the outcome, I still would have chosen WVSOM over LECOM. I liked the facilities more at WVSOM and I just felt more welcomed there. Of course, being an out-of-state applicant, the only disadvantage to WVSOM for me is the tuition. However, because you are doing HPSP, that's not an issue, as you mentioned. Hopefully, you choose WVSOM, but follow your heart. :)

fullnelsondnb - Have you FULLY investigated the HPSP??? Please don't obligate yourself until you do. I turned the HPSP down after getting to the finish line. In my opinion I would rather walk out with $300K in debt than deal with the things I have heard from other HPSP and former military people.

Please find the "military medicine" thread on this board and read it if you haven't already. I can answer all of the questions that the recruiter can't or won't answer.

God bless.

I think one of the most important factors in deciding is where would you feel most comfortable. Of course, in this thread, everyone is going to say WVSOM. Personally, I interviewed at LECOM-Erie and, regardless of the outcome, I still would have chosen WVSOM over LECOM. I liked the facilities more at WVSOM and I just felt more welcomed there. Of course, being an out-of-state applicant, the only disadvantage to WVSOM for me is the tuition. However, because you are doing HPSP, that's not an issue, as you mentioned. Hopefully, you choose WVSOM, but follow your heart. :)

I had 4 interviews, WVSOM blows away every other campus. Plus the students that I talked to at WVSOM were the best. The school, the technology, the staff, and the culture make it a winner.

I have to agree with student DO. I was going to pursue HPSP but, after learning more about it and talking to others about their experiences, I decided against it. The impression I got was that if you are not interested in military medicine and are simply doing it for the money, you are going to be miserable. If you are sure you want to do military medicine, by all means, do it. But, if you haven't already, make sure you get all of the information and talk to others who have done HPSP before you commit.

I also agree with studentDO in that WVSOM outshined all of the schools I interviewed at.

I have to agree with student DO. I was going to pursue HPSP but, after learning more about it and talking to others about their experiences, I decided against it. The impression I got was that if you are not interested in military medicine and are simply doing it for the money, you are going to be miserable. If you are sure you want to do military medicine, by all means, do it. But, if you haven't already, make sure you get all of the information and talk to others who have done HPSP before you commit.

I also agree with studentDO in that WVSOM outshined all of the schools I interviewed at.

I have to admit that the lure of being an Army officer is still there. I am still thinking about it and the recruiter calls me daily to see if he can persuade me to fly to San Antonio and talk to the doctors there. LaVita is right, you should NOT do it just for the money, remember in the military you are an officer first and a doctor second, this is real and is not a joke. That doesn't mean you will be doing a lot of military stuff it just means that you can be ordered around my anyone who has a higher rank than you - even if it means that they are not the same educational level as you and some people have found this to be a nightmare.

My main concern is that these days (I verified this) you WILL be deployed first right out of residency (sometimes out of internship in the Navy and Airforce) to wherever they need you. I spoke to docs who came out of training and were in the desert the next day for 6 months. They say you only "pay back" your scholarship but if they are short on people (and they are short on docs since they can't fill the HPSP right now) they can keep you in indefinitely.

I talked to the Airforce and the Nvy as well, the Navy is the worst, right out of your sixth year (intern) they send people overseas to be GMO's. In the Airforce this happens because they don't have enough training spots so you get deployed for a while until you can re-enter the match for residency. The Army is the best bet, has the most training spots and they guarantee you will finish residency before being deployed and they only deploy for 6 months at a time. I have also heard of people loosing their medical license for not planning ahead, they get stuck in a sand pit where they cannot do CME's or update their ACLS certs.

The military medicine training is also questionable, some have said they had more experience in their clinical years than in 3 years of residency. The military USES you where they NEED you, it's not like a civillian residency where you get to rotate around and cover everything.

FWIW, I am STILL thinking about this program (believe it or not) - the money is tempting - but with a wife and 2 kids everyone has told me to stay away.

Oh well - I am ranting, if you know me at WVSOM you will get used to that :laugh:. Just my .02. See you in August!

P.S. They make it look competitive to get into this program, but since they can't fill the spaces in the program, they are taking everyone. I know of guys that had major medical disqualifications and they were waived and inducted. Basically if you are not a felon you are in.

Congrats new students!
I'm a third year (will be fourth) and own a house about 7 minutes from the school. I've newly renovated pretty much everything and will be putting on some finishing touches this summer. It is a three bedroom two bathroom house in Ronceverte down by the Greenbrier River. There is a driveway with plenty of parking and a one car garage, a large deck and a swimming pool. I'm looking for $1200/month. The house is fully furnished and you are welcome to sublet any rooms. Please let me know if you have any questions. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested. Pictures may be seen at http://flickr.com/photos/15919438@N08/sets/72157604372937753/

Thanks

Congrats to everyone accepted! Im trying to secure some housing and its proving a bit problematic...What is everyone doing for this? Any recommendations? Im looking for a nice clean place but I live in Arizona so its hard to know what Im getting into without pictures.

Congrats to everyone accepted! Im trying to secure some housing and its proving a bit problematic...What is everyone doing for this? Any recommendations? Im looking for a nice clean place but I live in Arizona so its hard to know what Im getting into without pictures.

Just south of the school if you turn right on Washington street and go a little ways out of town there are some brand new and very nice townhomes for very reasonable rental rates. We found several available when we were there in Feb. I don't know the situation now.

Also, White Sulfur Springs has lots of places for rent, at least they did.

My family and I just leased a house in Frankford about 10 miles North of Hwy 64.

You might have to drive a few miles but there is a lot of property around there if you look hard enough.

hey! i am currently a first year and am thinking it would be a good idea for me to get a roommate for next year! i currently live in westridge townhouses (pretty new about 5 min from school). umm..yeah. if anyone has any questions and would be interested just message me on here! thanks

ps. i'm a female and also have a cat just in case you wanted to know...

studentDO, thanks alot. Ill def. look into that.

hey all,

I'm a 2nd year about to leave for rotations and am currently living in a 4 BR room house behind the school with 2 first years. There are going to be 2 rooms available starting end of July, and if you're looking to room in house pretty close to school, just send an email to [email protected] to get details about the house. Its fully furnished and in a great neighborhood. Good luck house/apt searching!

p.s. I am only looking for female roomates

I am 23yo, non-smoker, male from North jersey, i am looking for a roomate if you are still interested

Im a 25 yr old non smoker female and I am looking for a roomate if anyone is interested.

hey NJSteveDO im still looking for a roommate. Im 23, nonsmoker, from Arizona. Are you on facebook? (lame I know and I hate those things)

I have been looking around on sdn and have been reading some posts saying that WVSOM is going downhill and that some of the administration is concerned about the upcoming accreditation. I also heard that WVSOM only had a 82% COMLEX pass rate this past year. Is this true? I know that you have to take everything on sdn with a grain of salt, but because I have pretty much locked myself into WVSOM these kind of things are making me a little bit nervous.

If you are a current student or a recent graduate of WVSOM and have some helpful input, I am really interessted in hearing what you have to say.

I submited my previous post several days ago, and no one has responded. Does this information make anyone else a little bit nervous? Also, has anyone received thier financial aid package from WVSOM yet? If so, what does it look like? Should I plan on having to take out a bunch of private loans?

I submited my previous post several days ago, and no one has responded. Does this information make anyone else a little bit nervous? Also, has anyone received thier financial aid package from WVSOM yet? If so, what does it look like? Should I plan on having to take out a bunch of private loans?

I have been waiting to see a reply to your post as well. The only thing that I can say is that my DO mentor (heavily involved in in AOA) has told me that WVSOM has really been making a name for themselves recently.

Also the 82% pass rate is not that far off from what I have seen as an average and almost all students pass on the second try. Every medical school seems to have about a 3% dropout rate (I asked several) so that accounts for emergencies and those that just can't cut it. Even UT Southwestern in all of it's glory has a couple of students that just can't pass the boards. I met one the other day that is sitting on $100K of loans and no license for clinicals.

As far a student loans, have you talked to the financial aid office? I have not received my award letter yet, it should come in June, but I will make the entire budget from stafford and grad plus loans without any private loans unless I feel like I need extra money some time in the future (I have a family). The only thing that hurts you is the FAFSA score if you made a lot of money the previous year.

I Look forward to meeting everyone in August.

I was beggining to wonder if there was anyone else planning on attending WVSOM this summer. I appreciate your reply. I have also heard good things about WVSOM and I really liked thier facilities when I visited. However, when I heard about the 82% it just made me think a little more about this life altering step that I am about to take (going to WVSOM and getting into 200K debt for tuition alone). I began to wonder if going to WVSOM (rather than a cheaper school) would be worth it. Other people's experiences and opinions concerning WVSOM do help though. So, thanks.

I have seen a lot of 2nd year WVSOM students posting on this thread. I have to wonder why none of you are responding to these concerns.

...I also heard that WVSOM only had a 82% COMLEX pass rate this past year. Is this true? ...
If you are a current student or a recent graduate of WVSOM and have some helpful input, I am really interessted in hearing what you have to say.

Graduating 4th year here. Our class was told on several occasions that the average failure rate was about 12% (= 88% pass rate). I don't know the specific rate for the past couple of years. Board pass rate and average board scores are both important.

A couple of other important factors for medical school selection that few pre-meds seem to talk much about are quality of clinical training and residency placement.

WVSOM utilizes a statewide campus system for clinical rotations. Students are required to complete much of their third year at one of the various sites around the state. I would say that 3 or so of these sites are very strong, with >1 residency program on site and exposing you to appropriate didactics. The rest vary from not bad to weak. The site in Lewisburg is only able to take 5-7 students or so, therefore almost everyone has to move after their second year.

As for residency placement... I would recommend getting a hold of some residency placement lists and seeing what you see. Are graduates getting in to the caliber of program that you would like, specialties that you are interested in, in areas of the country where you would like to go?

The ranking that WVSOM is so proud of basically means that lots of their graduates go into primary care. They require 5 months of family medicine rotations (4 in a rural area), and their GME counseling (or lack thereof) is strongly geared toward primary care. Even if you are committed to going to WVSOM-- or any other school-- you should have a handle on what your career goals are, what you need to do to get there, and what resources your school has available to help you. Also, be prepared for the possibility that you will change your mind about what you want-- putting yourself in a strong position so that you can get into the more competitive program or specialty that you fall in love with is a good thing.
Good luck.:luck:

I have a few questions, I know I found this at some point but how are the classes broken up for first year SBL students. As in when each class starts and ends. Also, there are tests every 3 weeks in each subject, is this correct?
Also, as an entering first year what sorts of research do I need to do about residency matching as the previous poster stated to know what you need for the programs that you are interested it. How hard is it to set up your rotations in your 4th year? Thanks.

However, when I heard about the 82% it just made me think a little more about this life altering step that I am about to take (going to WVSOM and getting into 200K debt for tuition alone). I began to wonder if going to WVSOM (rather than a cheaper school) would be worth it.

I am a second year. And sad to say it, but yes, there was an 82% pass rate on COMLEX. Not to mention the average score was 466. National averages are usually 92% and are always 500. This was presented to the whole class over powerpoint by Dr. Fisk. Not to mention I "heard" that 6 of the 30 people that took the USMLE failed. Not to mention the average MCAT is 21, second lowest of all DO schools. And yes we are up for re-accreditation soon... who knows where that will go

I can see why you are concerned. I suggest in fact dare you to call the school and ask for the facts. Ask for average scores, pass rates and average MCAT. Dont stop at the admission office call the dean, Dean Adelman or even Dr. Fisk who is in charge of our COMLEX scores. I imagine they will give you a round about answer about how things are wonderful and never commit to a solid number. If thats the case RUN NOW!!! A school that is so great should be proud of their scores and forthcoming with them. In fact when I was interviewing all the other schools broadcasted their pass rate and average score. If a school hides that... well lets just say that is ominous.

I imagine you are much like I was two years ago, thrilled by the prospect of getting into med school and by the US News and World report rankings of the school. You may be rationaling your oponion becuase you already commited and you want to like it so bad. I rationalized myself all the way here, I have been holding my breath since then. In about a month when I get to leave here I will get to breath freedom again!! I cant wait!

I am a second year. And sad to say it, but yes, there was an 82% pass rate on COMLEX. Not to mention the average score was 466. National averages are usually 92% and are always 500. This was presented to the whole class over powerpoint by Dr. Fisk. Not to mention I "heard" that 6 of the 30 people that took the USMLE failed. Not to mention the average MCAT is 21, second lowest of all DO schools. And yes we are up for re-accreditation soon... who knows where that will go

I can see why you are concerned. I suggest in fact dare you to call the school and ask for the facts. Ask for average scores, pass rates and average MCAT. Dont stop at the admission office call the dean, Dean Adelman or even Dr. Fisk who is in charge of our COMLEX scores. I imagine they will give you a round about answer about how things are wonderful and never commit to a solid number. If thats the case RUN NOW!!! A school that is so great should be proud of their scores and forthcoming with them. In fact when I was interviewing all the other schools broadcasted their pass rate and average score. If a school hides that... well lets just say that is ominous.

I imagine you are much like I was two years ago, thrilled by the prospect of getting into med school and by the US News and World report rankings of the school. You may be rationaling your oponion becuase you already commited and you want to like it so bad. I rationalized myself all the way here, I have been holding my breath since then. In about a month when I get to leave here I will get to breath freedom again!! I cant wait!

So would you say that most of your classmates share your opinion about the direction the school is heading?

Do you think the general consensus would be that it would be worth if for me to turn down WVSOM and wait a year and then reapply?

I got accepted to every osteopathic school that I applied to and I am on the alternate list at three allopathic schools. I am crossing my fingers for them so I don't have to make that decision.

I really do appreciate you and several other WVSOM students who have given it to me straight. Like you said, this is a huge decision and I would like to have as much accurate information as possible before I take the plunge and get into 250K debt.

Thank you again for your honest opinion.

So would you say that most of your classmates share your opinion about the direction the school is heading?

Do you think the general consensus would be that it would be worth if for me to turn down WVSOM and wait a year and then reapply?

I got accepted to every osteopathic school that I applied to and I am on the alternate list at three allopathic schools. I am crossing my fingers for them so I don't have to make that decision.

I really do appreciate you and several other WVSOM students who have given it to me straight. Like you said, this is a huge decision and I would like to have as much accurate information as possible before I take the plunge and get into 250K debt.

Thank you again for your honest opinion.

Hello again,
Unless you are bringing 50K expect to be in 300K of debt at least. This year the board of governors approved a 3% increase which is actually a relief from the 6% they proposed. Expect around a 5% tuition increase each year. WVSOM is run like a buisness so as long as there is a demand tuition will increase.

The last thing I want to do is influence a decision that you need to make for yourself and later have you regret something becuase of some stupid SDN post. Instead I will tell you what I wished I had done. I wished I had asked the hard questions. I wish I had accepted my offers at other Osteopathic Insitutions. I too was on the wait list at an allopathic school and didnt get in. Becuase I was out of state I may never have gotten in no matter how many times I tried. But in retrospect I wish I had tried again because an MD degree can be the life or death difference at some hospitals, or in some residencies.

There is some advice I am comfortable giving out: If you know the state you want to practice in see how well DOs are accpeted there. See if you are required to do an extra intern year there becuase you are a DO (like pa, wv, mi?. there are 5) If you want to go into a certain residency find out how competitive it is. If it is competitive and you are a DO you will not match allopathic for that specialty. There are DO specific residencies in those competitive fields but they are few and far between.

I really wish you the best, follow your gut instinct. Its there for a reason. And thank you for asking the real questions. I am sorry I did not answer for the general concecus since I don't really know. I have friends that wish the same things as I do, but some are really happy here...

Is it possible for a school to lose accreditation if the comlex score % passing rate is 82%?

I posted this question before, but only 2 people who PMed me. I would like to hear more opinions. MiserableWV, and any other student who is unhappy with wvsom, what do you think???

...Also, as an entering first year what sorts of research do I need to do about residency matching as the previous poster stated to know what you need for the programs that you are interested it. How hard is it to set up your rotations in your 4th year? Thanks.

Residency programs are much like medical schools in some ways-- some are more competitive, require higher board scores for an interview offer, look for candidates with research experience, give preference to people from certain states or geographical areas, strongly consider candidates who are recommended by doctors that they are familiar with, etc.

If you know that you are interested in program X, specialty Y, or living in state Z, this information should inform all of the decisions regarding your career that you make, including what school you go to, what opportunities you take advantage of or create for yourself once you are there, etc. While it is likely that you will change your mind about your goals as time goes by, that is not a good reason to forgo some initial planning and investigation. More specifically, if program X is your dream program, peruse their web site, then get in touch with them and start the conversation. Maybe you could do some research or an externship with them the summer after your first year. Or maybe they will tell you that they prefer you to take the USMLE or that they don't accept DO applicants (for MD programs). At the very least start by finding out what programs are out there in the specialties that you are interested in.

As far as setting up rotations for your 4th year, it varies greatly. Sometimes it is as easy as calling the clinical education coordinator at a site for an inpatient rotation or calling a physician's office for an outpatient rotation. Sites that are not affiliated with your home school and are in high demand may require an application, essay, letter of recommendation, background check, drug test, etc. All of this can be filed with the WVSOM clin ed office, and they can submit it to the site for you.

Is it possible for a school to lose accreditation if the comlex score % passing rate is 82%?

I posted this question before, but only 2 people who PMed me. I would like to hear more opinions. MiserableWV, and any other student who is unhappy with wvsom, what do you think???

From the AOA:

The American Osteopathic Association’s Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA COCA) is recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE), as the only accrediting agency for predoctoral osteopathic medical education in the United States. Accreditation action taken by the AOA COCA means a college or school of osteopathic medicine (COM) has appropriately identified its mission, has secured the resources necessary to accomplish that mission, shows evidence of accomplishing its mission, and demonstrates that it may be expected to continue to accomplish its mission in the future. Accreditation of a COM means that the COM incorporates the science of medicine, the principles and practices of osteopathic manipulative medicine, the art of caring and the power of touch within a curriculum that recognizes the interrelationship of structure and function for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes; recognizes the importance of addressing the body as a whole in disease and health; and recognizes the importance of homeostasis and self-regulation in the maintenance of health. Accreditation signifies that a COM has met or exceeded the AOA standards for educational quality with respect to mission, goals, and objectives; governance, administration, and finance; facilities, equipment, and resources; faculty; student admissions, performance, and evaluation; preclinical and clinical curriculum; and research and scholarly activity.

Does an 82% pass rate equal "not accomplishing the mission" ?? I guess that is up to the review committee.

Thank you so much, StudentDO! I actually saw this info yesterday, as I tried to research the subject all over the internet. Hopefully, the chances are small that WVSOM will lose accreditation, based on the overall success of the school. I doubt one year will matter much.

First of all here is a Fall 2007 schedule this will give you an idea of what your schedule will be like. Second, what the h*ll is up with all this accreditation stuff several people seem to be freaking out about it. I'm a student government member and we have discussed the accreditation issue...short and sweet this is what it boils down to. A medical school can attain an accreditation for 1 year up to 7 years max before being reevaluated; meaning 7 years is the best you can do. The school has attained a 7 year accreditation for the past several years and there is no reason that it won't happen again so quit worrying about it.

Attachments

• SBL1 Fall 2007 Final Schedule.pdf
    161.1 KB · Views: 274
First of all here is a Fall 2007 schedule this will give you an idea of what your schedule will be like. Second, what the h*ll is up with all this accreditation stuff several people seem to be freaking out about it. I'm a student government member and we have discussed the accreditation issue...short and sweet this is what it boils down to. A medical school can attain an accreditation for 1 year up to 7 years max before being reevaluated; meaning 7 years is the best you can do. The school has attained a 7 year accreditation for the past several years and there is no reason that it won't happen again so quit worrying about it.

Well spoken. :clap:

Businessman,
Congratulations on the acceptance to the PBL program. I look forward to meeting you.

Meggielou,
Have you heard anything yet from Dr. M about the PBL program.

I apologize I haven't replied or posted in a while I was distracted trying to finish my current degree before moving on to WVSOM.

Couple of questions...

Does anyone know which loan programs most students use for their loans? Also, how much do most students take out from each of those different loans.

Thanks

hey all,

I'm a 2nd year about to leave for rotations and am currently living in a 4 BR room house behind the school with 2 first years. There is going to be 1 room available starting the end of July, and if you're looking to room in house pretty close to school, just send an email to [email protected] to get details about the house. Its fully furnished and in a great neighborhood. Good luck house/apt searching!

p.s. Females only please!

thanks!

Businessman,
Congratulations on the acceptance to the PBL program. I look forward to meeting you.

Meggielou,
Have you heard anything yet from Dr. M about the PBL program.

I have the same question, I applied to PBL 2 months ago. I emailed Dr. M a month ago and he said he would get back to me in a week, still no word.

How long has it taken others to find out if they were accepted?

bigling, YES!!! I got into PBL :D

I have the same question, I applied to PBL 2 months ago. I emailed Dr. M a month ago and he said he would get back to me in a week, still no word.

How long has it taken others to find out if they were accepted?

I'd email Dr. M again to find out what happened. For me, it took several months to hear because I was on a "waitlist" type thing, but I applied in October so I had more time. Definitely get in touch with him. Good luck!

Hello guys,

I have been accpeted to WVSOM last December and I was pretty happy b/c I loved the atmosphere.

However, I would like to here some honest opinions from the students. How do you really like it...do you guys think that you have equal opportunities like other DO or MD students? I read some of the posts before, and I see that people are genuinely concered about it. What do you think? And I mean, everybody, post your thoughts, please.

Other thing, which loans are you guys thinking about and why? I'm considering Citi bank and Wachovia. Also, I've heard that Chase has really good program for med students. However, chase is not on the prefered list of the financial aid office.

finally, i'm looking for a room, or a roomate. I'm a 23year old male, really clean, non-smoking. the only problem is that I have an electric guitar and I'm not afraid to use it. otherwise, I'm quiet.

Thank you for any replies.

Rafal

Hello guys,

I have been accpeted to WVSOM last December and I was pretty happy b/c I loved the atmosphere.

However, I would like to here some honest opinions from the students. How do you really like it...do you guys think that you have equal opportunities like other DO or MD students? I read some of the posts before, and I see that people are genuinely concered about it. What do you think? And I mean, everybody, post your thoughts, please.

Other thing, which loans are you guys thinking about and why? I'm considering Citi bank and Wachovia. Also, I've heard that Chase has really good program for med students. However, chase is not on the prefered list of the financial aid office.

finally, i'm looking for a room, or a roomate. I'm a 23year old male, really clean, non-smoking. the only problem is that I have an electric guitar and I'm not afraid to use it. otherwise, I'm quiet.

Thank you for any replies.

Rafal

Hi! I think we all have to use some judgement here, on SDN, for any post. Especially when people are complaining and making statements that could harm a school or individual's reputation. In the case of the people who have been talking about WVSOM losing accredidation, look at the source, the posters who perpetuated that rumor (I believe it started over in the pre-osteo forum). They are unhappy students who have a post history of whining and complaining (seriously check out the post history). Not having entered med school yet, I have no ability to judge whether their feelings are justified, but they certainly appear to be in the minority. It seems that the other students at WVSOM are about as happy as it is possible to be in med school. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even in undergrad we had kids who did nothing but bitch and moan about everything when it seemed like everyone else was happy.

Quite frankly, I was hoping the questions about WVSOMs accredidation on this thread would go away, because it seems unlikely that the school would face serious repercussions over one class having a "low" pass rate. :beat:

Instead, let's talk about other stuff :). I'm not sure who to use for a lender either, but I have a friend who does this kind of thing for a living, and he's going to help me out this weekend, so I'll be sure to let you all know what he says. And good luck to everyone who's looking for a place to live! When I called several months ago, Angie gave me this number for Woodland Acres: 304 645 4403 and ask for Julie. I'm not sure if there's any available places, but it's worth a shot. Good luck :luck: