WSU-CVM- Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS interview offer as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Is everyone flying into Pullman? Spokane is only marginally cheaper

Flying into Spokane because I have no good flight options into Pullman from where I'm at... Going to drive and stay in Moscow, ID most likely though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Flying into Spokane because I have no good flight options into Pullman from where I'm at... Going to drive and stay in Moscow, ID most likely though.

Flying in to Spokane is only $50 cheaper for me, which would quickly be eaten up with a rental car I think.

Reactions: 1 user
FYI: if it's foggy or the weather is bad flights can't land in Pullman. Sometimes they get redirected to Lewiston (~40 min away by car), but sometimes they go back to the last airport and try again after a delay. My friend had family flying in from Seattle about a week ago, and they got to Pullman and couldn't land, so they went back to Seattle. The flight left again a few hours later and had to turn back again after getting to Pullman. Third time was the charm. They finally landed about 14 hours after they had originally planned. So, be aware of potential delays if you fly into the Pullman airport. :) It's not likely but it's definitely possible.

FYI: if it's foggy or the weather is bad flights can't land in Pullman. Sometimes they get redirected to Lewiston (~40 min away by car), but sometimes they go back to the last airport and try again after a delay. My friend had family flying in from Seattle about a week ago, and they got to Pullman and couldn't land, so they went back to Seattle. The flight left again a few hours later and had to turn back again after getting to Pullman. Third time was the charm. They finally landed about 14 hours after they had originally planned. So, be aware of potential delays if you fly into the Pullman airport. :) It's not likely but it's definitely possible.
Argh. I'm from Oregon but go to school in the midwest so I have to fly in from the midwest because of course I can't miss 2+ weeks of classes. I was thinking of booking a flight to PDX or SEA but the drive would be annoying and I was worried about that in case of snow. I'm assuming if you have flight issues you are SOL.

Does anyone know if they send out invites in waves? I didn't receive an invite nor a rejection yet?

Does anyone know if they send out invites in waves? I didn't receive an invite nor a rejection yet?
They have sent them out in waves in the past. Rejections are sent by snail mail, unfortunately.

Not sure which I'm flying into yet. Flying into Spokane is $300 cheaper for me over Pullman, but my friend is probably picking me up so might spend the extra money and fly straight in considering she's letting me stay at her house etc.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile

Argh. I'm from Oregon but go to school in the midwest so I have to fly in from the midwest because of course I can't miss 2+ weeks of classes. I was thinking of booking a flight to PDX or SEA but the drive would be annoying and I was worried about that in case of snow. I'm assuming if you have flight issues you are SOL.

Flying into Spokane or Lewiston would give you way less to drive - unless there was some reason those airports wouldn't work for you? Lewiston is about 40 minutes from here, Spokane is about 90 minutes away.

Not sure which I'm flying into yet. Flying into Spokane is $300 cheaper for me over Pullman, but my friend is probably picking me up so might spend the extra money and fly straight in considering she's letting me stay at her house etc.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile
Offer to fill up her gas tank and see if she won't mind making the drive. Spokane isn't far and most people I know don't mind running people to/from the airport if needed. Plus, if it saves you $270 ish, it's worth asking! You could throw in buying breakfast at Old European or The Breakfast Club to sweeten the deal. ;)

Offer to fill up her gas tank and see if she won't mind making the drive. Spokane isn't far and most people I know don't mind running people to/from the airport if needed. Plus, if it saves you $270 ish, it's worth asking! You could throw in buying breakfast at Old European or The Breakfast Club to sweeten the deal. ;)
Definitely planned on some compensation/thanks for being an amazing friend. We just have to figure out details when she gets back to WA. Looking at flights into Spokane only problem is they got in super late on a weekday so we will have to see considering she will have class.

Another option to consider is there is a shuttle to the Spokane airport from Pullman that leaves a few times a day. I believe it’s $40 round trip?

Flying out of Spokane vs Pullman is usually $200ish cheaper for me, so I’d definitely try to do Spokane if possible for OOS people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another option to consider is there is a shuttle to the Spokane airport from Pullman that leaves a few times a day. I believe it’s $40 round trip?

Thank you so much for this info about the shuttle!

Flying into Spokane or Lewiston would give you way less to drive - unless there was some reason those airports wouldn't work for you? Lewiston is about 40 minutes from here, Spokane is about 90 minutes away.
Flying into Spokane would only be $50 cheaper so I didn't really see a point. I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best option. Are flights to Spokane more consistent?

I will wait for the rejection letter on the mail :(

I just opened the packet and noticed there is a student faculty mixer and a student panel. Any idea what appropriate clothing for these functions would be? Also, is the Marriott on campus a good place to stay?

I'm in-state so I *think* they haven't sent IS invites yet? so hopefully NOT waiting for a letter..yet??

Congrats to everyone who got invites <3
It looks like IS interviews are Feb 8-9th so I would assume y'all will be notified after OOS people :) hopefully before winter break though!!

I just opened the packet and noticed there is a student faculty mixer and a student panel. Any idea what appropriate clothing for these functions would be? Also, is the Marriott on campus a good place to stay?
I did undergrad at WSU and interviewed at the CVM last year. The student/faculty mixer was immediately after my anatomy lab so I just went in jeans and a sweatshirt that I had been wearing in class all day. The vet students come to the mixer after their classes so none of them are dressed up either. The only people looking fancy were the applicants who had interviewed that day.

I did undergrad at WSU and interviewed at the CVM last year. The student/faculty mixer was immediately after my anatomy lab so I just went in jeans and a sweatshirt that I had been wearing in class all day. The vet students come to the mixer after their classes so none of them are dressed up either. The only people looking fancy were the applicants who had interviewed that day.
Ok so maybe opting for nice khakis and a sweater would be ok? I asked my bio prof a few months ago what to wear to a research conference and he made it seem like wearing jeans and birkenstocks were totally ok so that's what I wore. Then a bunch of students were wearing suits and heels! But staff was pretty relaxed because they have nothing to prove lol.

Ok so maybe opting for nice khakis and a sweater would be ok? I asked my bio prof a few months ago what to wear to a research conference and he made it seem like wearing jeans and birkenstocks were totally ok so that's what I wore. Then a bunch of students were wearing suits and heels! But staff was pretty relaxed because they have nothing to prove lol.
I think even more casual would be fine. I stopped by for a bit last year, and I’m pretty sure everyone was wearing jeans that hadn’t interviewed recently

Reactions: 1 users
They do! My friend is a 3rd year at WSU and she said when she applied they sent out 3-4 waves of invites.
They used to send them out in waves. Last year they sent out all IS notifications at the same time on the same day.

Got a packet in the mail today! :soexcited:

Also, any idea why they send out interviews in waves? That seems so odd to me.

Got a packet in the mail today! :soexcited:

Also, any idea why they send out interviews in waves? That seems so odd to me.
I definitely just went and checked the mail because of this post also got my packet... And I was wondering about that too? Especially for OOS. Because they interview all OOS peeps within a 4ish day period so you would think they would just send it out all at once.

:( I just want to know ! they are my top choice !

Denied just received my letter in the mail...

Since most rejections go out by snail mail your portal won't change at all. It only updates with email correspondence, if they are doing things the same as in the past.

The waiting game is the hardest part. I'm rooting for you all. Hang in there!

Since most rejections go out by snail mail your portal won't change at all. It only updates with email correspondence, if they are doing things the same as in the past.

The waiting game is the hardest part. I'm rooting for you all. Hang in there!
Thank you, I just want to know ASAP, so I can plan my next year if am not going to be in Vetschool !

I just finished first year, and I'd be happy to try to answer any questions about the school or the area if you guys have any :)
Hi! I applied and got into WSU for the Fall 2018 school year. I am coming from Hawaii and am not sure that I'll be able to handle the weather/remoteness of Pullman. Any advice for an out-of-towner?

Do you mind me asking which state you live in?? I'm just wondering so I can expect my rejection a couple of days later here in Florida :(

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile
Someone posted on the APVMA page on the 25th that they were rejected. and it appears they are from Florida.

I got an oos interview invite as well! Anyone have any knowledge about how the interviews are there? Pretty laid back I hope?

Last edited:
I got an oos interview invite as well! Anyone have any knowledge about how the interviews are there? Pretty laid back I hope?
Very relaxed and conversational. I had a panel of 3 interviewers: a DVM/PhD professor in the vet school, a local practicing DVM/alum, and a WSU PhD animal researcher. They asked a lot of behavioral based questions and some about your specific experiences. They asked me why I got a B in Immunology and not an A. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
They asked me why I got a B in Immunology and not an A. :rolleyes:

Was the immunology question based off the transcript that you brought for Fall or was that a question based on your already submitted transcript to the school for the application? I just want to know if I need to be prepared to defend my Physics grade... I got a D the first time and an A the second but that was years ago.

Was the immunology question based off the transcript that you brought for Fall or was that a question based on your already submitted transcript to the school for the application? I just want to know if I need to be prepared to defend my Physics grade... I got a D the first time and an A the second but that was years ago.

If you get a C this fall expect them to ask about it, but :shrug: for anything older. It'll depend on who is on your committee.

Edit: Also, moving from a D to an A is GREAT and you should be very proud about that if they ask!

If you get a C this fall expect them to ask about it, but :shrug: for anything older. It'll depend on who is on your committee.

Edit: Also, moving from a D to an A is GREAT and you should be very proud about that if they ask!
In my grad program I have all As and one B+++ (because 89.6 doesn't round) and thank you! I knew I could do better than a D.. I took I over summer the first time and 5 hours a day five days a week for four weeks was too much.

In my grad program I have all As and one B+++ (because 89.6 doesn't round) and thank you! I knew I could do better than a D.. I took I over summer the first time and 5 hours a day five days a week for four weeks was too much.

For me specifically, the Immunology grade was on the updated transcript with fall grades, which I brought to the interview.

I had never worked harder for a B in my life. :laugh:

For me specifically, the Immunology grade was on the updated transcript with fall grades, which I brought to the interview.

I had never worked harder for a B in my life.
I feel you. I got a B in immunology too. I was pleased with it that and both semesters of Biochem whooped me. I was happy to take my Bs in those classes.

My interview is scheduled super early in the morning...I think it may just be the first slot. Haha low key worried that I will get there at 6 AM (paranoid + no direction sense) and just be squatting at the gates staring at the moon.
and @ earlier comments on this thread my transcript is a real roller coaster so this should be fun..........

My interview is scheduled super early in the morning...I think it may just be the first slot. Haha low key worried that I will get there at 6 AM (paranoid + no direction sense) and just be squatting at the gates staring at the moon.
and @ earlier comments on this thread my transcript is a real roller coaster so this should be fun..........

Honestly when they asked me about my immunology B I was just glad he didn't look further back and ask me about any number of my C's. This was also the first question I was asked in the entire interview. :bag:

The vet school is actually really easy to find! It's literally right across the street from the parking garage. It's also on a corner (rather than hiding in the middle of a block of buildings) so that helps, too. Give yourself about 30 extra minutes and you'll be plenty fine. :D

Hi! I applied and got into WSU for the Fall 2018 school year. I am coming from Hawaii and am not sure that I'll be able to handle the weather/remoteness of Pullman. Any advice for an out-of-towner?
I'm not going to lie, I find Pullman pretty boring. I don't hate living here or anything, but there are definitely times I wished there was more to do around here :laugh: There's a lot of places to go hiking near-by though, and the Palouse is gorgeous. If you like outdoorsy things, I'd recommend checking those out :)

I'm assuming by weather you're referring to winter? Last year sucked. We had a ridiculous amount of snow from November to February, and the first half of December the high was like 10 or less with wind chill. But I'm told that's super unusual, and so far this winter is looking pretty mild *fingers crossed*. I was fine with snow boots and a good jacket last year. One of my classmates was from Arizona and had never actually been in snow and survived, so I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

Is anyone going to change out of their interview clothes for the other activities later in the day? Like the sit-in and the panels at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk