WSU-CVM- Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TopGun86

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

Who else is applying to Washington State University College of Veterinary medicine this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi do you care to tell me more about the school and the city? I believe WSU-CVM is the best fit for me!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an OOS applicant!

Hi do you care to tell me more about the school and the city? I believe WSU-CVM is the best fit for me!

Actually I am going out to visit the school and check out Pullman and Moscow this weekend! Will report back. There's some good info on the school in the "factors to choose from" thread that's pinned in this forum, I was reading that. The few recent vet school grads I've talked to have had really good things to say about the school - I really like the fact that all the classes are pass/fail, to encourage more of a community rather than competition.

What makes you say you think its the best fit?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm planning on applying

Reactions: 1 user
I just finished first year, and I'd be happy to try to answer any questions about the school or the area if you guys have any :)

Reactions: 2 users
The C/O 2021 statistics are up now! (here) They've added a new column for Interview Offers so you can see how many people were invited to interview in each application pool. It's pretty neat. :)

I just finished first year, and I'd be happy to try to answer any questions about the school or the area if you guys have any :)
Please enlighten us about the school! I love Rebecca Haley! She is sooo sweet!

Actually I am going out to visit the school and check out Pullman and Moscow this weekend! Will report back. There's some good info on the school in the "factors to choose from" thread that's pinned in this forum, I was reading that. The few recent vet school grads I've talked to have had really good things to say about the school - I really like the fact that all the classes are pass/fail, to encourage more of a community rather than competition.

What makes you say you think its the best fit?

Please let us know about the campus!

My goal is to join global medicine/Veterinary missionary program. Also I have worked with the same therapeutic equine program in the past.
My gut is also telling me that WSU is a good fit but you never know :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just about the area, the school in general, etc etc etc? lol
I think we've talked quite a bit about the area in other WSU application threads. Reading through those might be worthwhile!

I don't know where you're from, but the Palouse can be a little bit of a culture shock if you're used to living in a more urban area. We've got some shopping, but you have to go to Spokane or Coeur d'Alene (~2 ish hour drive) to visit larger shopping centers. Moscow is within 20-30 minutes of WSU, so you have the option to live in Idaho if you like it better (I think Moscow's downtown is >>> Pullman's, but I'm biased).

I think we've talked quite a bit about the area in other WSU application threads. Reading through those might be worthwhile!

I don't know where you're from, but the Palouse can be a little bit of a culture shock if you're used to living in a more urban area. We've got some shopping, but you have to go to Spokane or Coeur d'Alene (~2 ish hour drive) to visit larger shopping centers. Moscow is within 20-30 minutes of WSU, so you have the option to live in Idaho if you like it better (I think Moscow's downtown is >>> Pullman's, but I'm biased).

For real, Pullman is so boring. I wish I'd moved to Moscow instead just cause it's adorable and feels more like a town than Pullman, but I was worried about residency stuff.

One thing to note though. If you're OOS and will be establishing WA residency during first year, you'll have to live in Pullman or somewhere else in WA to do that. If you're a WA resident or WICHE funded already, it won't matter from what I understand.

The CVM webpage has a fair amount of info about the program as well. Pass/marginal/fail circulum with no letter grades or GPA. All the first year profs are awesome and my class is really supportive of each other. Class culture will differ between years, but WSU tries really hard to discourage competitiveness and it seems to pay off. Though you will have the occasional class that really just does not get along at all.

You mentioned dual degree, but I didn't think we actually had a DVM/PhD program, so I'd email them to clarify. If we do it doesn't seem to be super common cause I don't know anyone in my class that's doing it. Do know a lot of people doing research scholars or other research during the year though.

For real, Pullman is so boring. I wish I'd moved to Moscow instead just cause it's adorable and feels more like a town than Pullman, but I was worried about residency stuff.

One thing to note though. If you're OOS and will be establishing WA residency during first year, you'll have to live in Pullman or somewhere else in WA to do that. If you're a WA resident or WICHE funded already, it won't matter from what I understand.

I've met a few people from the 2017 class that paid OOS every year, but I don't know any details about why. I thought it was really easy to get IS tuition, but from what I understand, at least a few people don't?

I've met a few people from the 2017 class that paid OOS every year, but I don't know any details about why. I thought it was really easy to get IS tuition, but from what I understand, at least a few people don't?
Where they at the Utah campus by chance? I know they can't switch. Cause otherwise I'm pretty sure the school helps you through the process to make sure you can if you want to do it.

Where they at the Utah campus by chance? I know they can't switch. Cause otherwise I'm pretty sure the school helps you through the process to make sure you can if you want to do it.
I looked at the WSU page - looks like OOS students who start at the Logan campus pay OOS all 4 years? That must have been what they did.

I looked at the WSU page - looks like OOS students who start at the Logan campus pay OOS all 4 years? That must have been what they did.
Yeah, those are the only OOS students I know that aren't allowed to switch.

Yeah, those are the only OOS students I know that aren't allowed to switch.
What's the benefit to starting at Logan and raking up more debt, rather than just applying to the Pullman campus? That seems really odd that anyone would choose to do that when literally every other student gets a tuition break.

What's the benefit to starting at Logan and raking up more debt, rather than just applying to the Pullman campus? That seems really odd that anyone would choose to do that when literally every other student gets a tuition break.
I think the OOS students at Logan was just a way to increase the class size?

There's 30 at Logan, only 10 of those are OOS. Though from the class stats page for 2021, it looks like the Pullman campus has more OOS people this year too?

I think the OOS students at Logan was just a way to increase the class size?

There's 30 at Logan, only 10 of those are OOS. Though from the class stats page for 2021, it looks like the Pullman campus has more OOS people this year too?

That's so weird. The amount of debt those students will have boggles my mind.

That's so weird. The amount of debt those students will have boggles my mind.
The OOS that start at Logan get a tuition waiver all four years I think? I think it's only like $30k over the four years, but still helps a bit. Still looking at well over $200k in loans though.

The CVM webpage has a fair amount of info about the program as well. Pass/marginal/fail circulum with no letter grades or GPA. All the first year profs are awesome and my class is really supportive of each other. Class culture will differ between years, but WSU tries really hard to discourage competitiveness and it seems to pay off. Though you will have the occasional class that really just does not get along at all.

You mentioned dual degree, but I didn't think we actually had a DVM/PhD program, so I'd email them to clarify. If we do it doesn't seem to be super common cause I don't know anyone in my class that's doing it. Do know a lot of people doing research scholars or other research during the year though.

Hey, thanks so much for your respond,

I am interested in pursuing DVM/Ph.D. and below is the response I got from the admission office awhile back. If accepted, I will be the first dual degree DVM/Ph.D. student and I don;t need to worry about any tuition as I would qualify for the federal stipend and tuition waiver. I am very excited for this opportunity if given a chance.

"We are pleased you are interested in combined DVM/Graduate studies ... We can offer you this possibility, but our program is not highly structured. The upside of this is that we can be flexible and customize a plan that works for you and your interests ....If you pursued the DVM/Ph.D., you would very likely be financially supported as a graduate student for those years in which you were predominantly engaged in the Ph.D. program (stipend and tuition waiver). Support during the DVM years in a DVM/Ph.D. program is individually negotiable and would depend on our assessment of your goals and commitment to scholarly career as a veterinarian."

Regarding the location, I grew up on a cattle/horse farm so I love the country and rural area.
But for real, Is Pullman boring? How far is Moscow from the vet school?

Moscow is about 20 minutes away from WSU, weather dependent.

Moscow and Pullman are both college towns, so if one university doesn't have much going on, there's sure to be an event of some sort at the other one. You just have to pay attention to what's going on and plan ahead. Both cities have farmer's markets that are pretty popular, we have an annual lentil festival, county fair in September . . . And a whole lot of bars. Pullman has a bowling alley! There's hiking trails nearby, skiing not too far away, campgrounds, that kind of thing.

What type of research are you interested in? Do you have a lab or mentor picked out to work with?

Moscow is about 20 minutes away from WSU, weather dependent.

Moscow and Pullman are both college towns, so if one university doesn't have much going on, there's sure to be an event of some sort at the other one. You just have to pay attention to what's going on and plan ahead. Both cities have farmer's markets that are pretty popular, we have an annual lentil festival, county fair in September . . . And a whole lot of bars. Pullman has a bowling alley! There's hiking trails nearby, skiing not too far away, campgrounds, that kind of thing.

What type of research are you interested in? Do you have a lab or mentor picked out to work with?

Well, I am not much into bar or party scene (I am older) and I am also a competitive swimmer as well as a swim coach. Are there any good swimming pool around? I only care about a good shopping place where I can buy food and a good pool that I can swim everyday or every other day.
As for research, I am interested in MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and Equine Herpis Virous B. I have selected a few mentors in mind and I would hope to work closely with them. I have also wrote a rough draft of my future PhD thesis so I am very prepared. I know exactly what I want and and how I want to finish my DVM/PhD at a time frame that I have designated.

Current students who are open to questions -

How did they manage to physically fit extra students in the classes? Are there still whole class lectures in ABDF? Because we had some people sitting on the floors at times or in seats without arm desks (I hope there has been a renovation). It was packed enough as it was. Even Bustad had just about every seat filled - no space for 30 extra people. Are they just coming for the clinical year?

How does that work with the rotations? Some were so slow that adding another student would take learning experiences away from someone else. (There were some busy ones where it would have been nice though). Are there many satellite clinics or off-campus rotations that are now part of 4th year (aside from the preceptorship and sipes) to increase caseload?

Is it an odd dynamic to have 30 "new" people join in later? Do Utah people go to COLE? At WSU they seem to spend a lot of initial effort getting the class to bond, I'm curious how that works out with the influx of new folks down the line.

Are the computers on the 2nd floor lab still old? Who took over for Dr.Leathers? What are y'all going to do without Dr.Ruby who will be retiring in a month! Does she have a successor?

Did you love Jr Revue? What's the best costume you saw at the Halloween party? Is Black Cypress still the nice place to go, or is there a new place in town? Do you still get the big sib test files?

Just curious how things are since I'm getting to be an old timer! :)

(Also super random, but does anyone who just finished first year have a blue trailer in the Robinson park? I sold my place to a vet student, that student told me she sold it to another incoming vet student. If you have my old place I'd be curious to know how it's going for you!)

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm a first time applicant and I'm in-state so I have a pretty vested interest in WSU. Plus, all the students and recent grads I've talked to have a lot of great things to say about the supportive community. I went to visit earlier this week and got to meet with Stacy (I believe she's a recruiter). It went *really* well, we looked over my transcripts and talked about my experiences and I was told I was a strong applicant and that she looked forward to seeing my application. So that made me feel pretty great.
However, I just got sucked into the "successful 2021 applicants" thread and I noticed a) not that many people included WSU in their application pool and b) a lot of the people who did got rejected. Whats up with that? Seems like there's a strong bias for east coast/mid west schools so I don't know if just less people from the west coast are on this forum, but now I'm more nervous about getting in :(

About 1000 OOS applied last year I believe and it said 250 were interviewed, so there are going to be a lot of rejections right off the bat unfortunately :/

Edit: Jk, realized you said you were IS. They usually have ~150 IS apply, interview 90, and accept 50. If you're IS and are tier I with experience and good LOR, you have a pretty good chance. But people are still going to be rejected right away that it may seem weird to stat wise cause they do take everything into account. Try not to worry too much about it (I know it's hard :) ) and just focus on trying to have strong statements for the app to make it as strong as it can be :)

Is Black Cypress still the nice place to go, or is there a new place in town?

I honestly have no idea. :p I think the Hilltop is supposed to be nice. Moscow has Sangria and Maialina (fancy pizza place) now, and I've heard the restaurant inside Best Western is nice (Seasons Public House). I've been to exactly none of them, so I can't say.

Ok, so I'm a first time applicant and I'm in-state so I have a pretty vested interest in WSU. Plus, all the students and recent grads I've talked to have a lot of great things to say about the supportive community. I went to visit earlier this week and got to meet with Stacy (I believe she's a recruiter). It went *really* well, we looked over my transcripts and talked about my experiences and I was told I was a strong applicant and that she looked forward to seeing my application. So that made me feel pretty great.
However, I just got sucked into the "successful 2021 applicants" thread and I noticed a) not that many people included WSU in their application pool and b) a lot of the people who did got rejected. Whats up with that? Seems like there's a strong bias for east coast/mid west schools so I don't know if just less people from the west coast are on this forum, but now I'm more nervous about getting in :(
You can check out the class statistics page to get an idea of the scores that accepted students have.

Last year I was the only person in my application pool on SDN, this year there were at least 3 of us. Representation is hit or miss! Don't let that freak you out.

I took some classes through a community college when I was in high school by using the dual enrollment program. Do they take into account these courses taken during high school for the "cumulative undergraduate GPA"? I'm assuming so, but I'm trying to find out for sure because if they do, I will be beneath the GPA cut off for tier 1 by .05 points. My average GRE scores are also right at 74.3%, which is also right below the cut off, so that's going to suck if I miss out on it in both regards.

Edit: All courses taken through a college/university count towards their cumulative undergraduate GPA. That sucks, but there's still hope for getting an interview!

Last edited:
Anyone else started the supplemental application and struggling with the second essay question? I know WSU is all about boasting about yourself which is kind of weird especially after I visited and they really don't seem competitive (after acceptance), more family oriented mind frame of we are all in this together. I just have a hard time of thoroughly boasting about myself...yay for essay writing!(JK)

Anyone else started the supplemental application and struggling with the second essay question? I know WSU is all about boasting about yourself which is kind of weird especially after I visited and they really don't seem competitive (after acceptance), more family oriented mind frame of we are all in this together. I just have a hard time of thoroughly boasting about myself...yay for essay writing!(JK)

It is part of being an adult to be able to articulate what you are good at and can bring to a job. It isn't boasting. It is about displaying what you have accomplished and the strengths you have as an individual. Think of it that way and you will have a much easier time writing essays, putting together a CV and developing interview skills. :)

Reactions: 2 users
It is part of being an adult to be able to articulate what you are good at and can bring to a job. It isn't boasting. It is about displaying what you have accomplished and the strengths you have as an individual. Think of it that way and you will have a much easier time writing essays, putting together a CV and developing interview skills. :)
Good angle to look at it. I can and feel I articulate all my accomplishments and strengths well as I've gotten scholarships and jobs I've wanted because I can do those things just what me specifically that I could bring to the program at WSU that would dignify me from others it's definitely hard to summarize/figure out what I want to say.

Good angle to look at it. I can and feel I articulate all my accomplishments and strengths well as I've gotten scholarships and jobs I've wanted because I can do those things just what me specifically that I could bring to the program at WSU that would dignify me from others it's definitely hard to summarize/figure out what I want to say.

The what would I bring to WSU question was the hardest for me, too. I think I talked about unique experiences and how it would help me offer a different perspective? It felt kind of corny but it worked! Haha

I'm just glad I submitted all my applications. I actually thought that was a good question. I was able to write why I think I am a good fit over others and what I can bring into the table. I value honesty and transparency so I was very honest about everything.

How many words or characters do you get for the supplemental app? I haven't paid the fee yet so I can't see.

How many words or characters do you get for the supplemental app? I haven't paid the fee yet so I can't see.
300 words per prompt. There are two prompts: one is asking what interests us about their program and the other is asking what we offer their program.

Are you guys responding to the 2nd questions as basically a diversity question - "what makes you cool"?

Are you guys responding to the 2nd questions as basically a diversity question - "what makes you cool"?
That's essentially what it is, but try to use whatever you talk about to show how you'd be a good fit for the program, what you'd bring to the school, etc. :)

That's how I'm taking it as well. I'm using my unique hobby to describe the attributes that I think would make me successful at WSU.

That's essentially what it is, but try to use whatever you talk about to show how you'd be a good fit for the program, what you'd bring to the school, etc. :)

Can you elaborate on this a little? I have a good handle on the other question asking why I'm specifically interested in WSU but the reasons I feel like they should be interested in me aren't really specific to the school but more the same, "why i would be a good vet" type of things...

That's how I'm taking it as well. I'm using my unique hobby to describe the attributes that I think would make me successful at WSU.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I have a good handle on the other question asking why I'm specifically interested in WSU but the reasons I feel like they should be interested in me aren't really specific to the school but more the same, "why i would be a good vet" type of things...

Basically what they said above. If X makes you unique, say how that will help you succeed at the school or diversify the class. I changed to vetmed at the end of college and had a ton of undergrad research experience in ecology, as was my BS, but all my vet experience was in the year or so before applying. So I talked a lot about how even though ecology is a different field than vetmed, my experiences could still helped prepare me for vet school and would be helpful at WSU. I also mentioned how it could offer a different perspective, since I hadn't been entirely focused on vetmed all through undergrad, etc. and had different experiences than some of my classmates would.

I hope that helps :)

yes, helpful! Also, I'm being a dang idiot and not up-reading in the thread XD sorry about that.

yes, helpful! Also, I'm being a dang idiot and not up-reading in the thread XD sorry about that.
Ha, no worries! It's just exactly what I would have said too so I didn't want to ignore it :p

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the app! I'm happy to help if I can :)

I honestly have no idea. :p I think the Hilltop is supposed to be nice. Moscow has Sangria and Maialina (fancy pizza place) now, and I've heard the restaurant inside Best Western is nice (Seasons Public House). I've been to exactly none of them, so I can't say.

Oooh I loved Sangria! That was the "relatives are in town" restaurant :) Maialina is after my time. I still miss Ferdinand's and want a Sella's massive salad. And the Breakfast Club! Man, I miss Breakfast Club. Aw, I'm getting Moscow homesick again!