WSU-CVM- Applications C/O 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oooh I loved Sangria! That was the "relatives are in town" restaurant :) Maialina is after my time. I still miss Ferdinand's and want a Sella's massive salad. And the Breakfast Club! Man, I miss Breakfast Club. Aw, I'm getting Moscow homesick again!
Ooh, the Breakfast Club. :love: I need to go to Ferdinand's more often - I could use more ice cream in my life.

Moscow has a new diner! It's a chrome 70's style diner. They built it before Christmas but it only just opened about a month ago. It's insanely popular right now. We have some other new bars and restaurants downtown - there are actually a lot of new places around town, now that I think about it. We have a fancy hamburger place that literally only sells burgers, fries, and beverages.

Come visit! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how they calculate pre-req GPA? I am getting anywhere from 3.62 to 3.95 depending on what classes I use since their list of pre-reqs is so vague.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how they calculate pre-req GPA? I am getting anywhere from 3.62 to 3.95 depending on what classes I use since their list of pre-reqs is so vague.
Which requirements do you find vague? Also when you open the supplemental it's slightly more specific than website, but essentially biology is sequence series with lab(there's more guidance in supplemental) and same for organic, inorganic,physics etc

Which requirements do you find vague? Also when you open the supplemental it's slightly more specific than website, but essentially biology is sequence series with lab(there's more guidance in supplemental) and same for organic, inorganic,physics etc
I haven't opened the supplemental so perhaps that is the problem. If I will have a bachelor's, do the english and social sciences credits count towards it? And for certain classes, I'm not sure if higher level classes can be subbed in to bump it up. For instance I took intro chem at a college while I was 17 and in HS and got two B+'s. Later I got an A in an upper level analytical chem class. NC state is allowing me to sub one of the intro B+ grades for that A which bumps up my pre-req GPA. Same with intro bio vs an upper level.

I should have re-phrased the word vague as "up for interpretation as to which classes can be used". Both Oregon state and NC state are allowing me to do these subs but WSU's website using the words sequence makes me think only intro classes could be used?

I should have re-phrased the word vague as "up for interpretation as to which classes can be used". Both Oregon state and NC state are allowing me to do these subs but WSU's website using the words sequence makes me think only intro classes could be used?
For the humanities it sounds like they are not really factored if you have or will have your bachelors completed, they will just be considered completed. You would have to double check for sure if they will let you sub, but as currently written the way I interpret it is that it would be your intro classes. This link is more descriptive and gives you the guidelines to follow for the supplemental for your science prereqs. http://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/prerequisites/course-descriptions

I haven't opened the supplemental so perhaps that is the problem. If I will have a bachelor's, do the english and social sciences credits count towards it? And for certain classes, I'm not sure if higher level classes can be subbed in to bump it up. For instance I took intro chem at a college while I was 17 and in HS and got two B+'s. Later I got an A in an upper level analytical chem class. NC state is allowing me to sub one of the intro B+ grades for that A which bumps up my pre-req GPA. Same with intro bio vs an upper level.

@ziggyandjazzy I had some similar questions - I had AP Bio credits so was able to transfer out of the general bio labs. But I listed the gen bio lectures I took as well as my AP credits, and I emailed Rebecca about it. This is what she said:
"Even if you didn’t list the AP credit, it would still be fine as we are looking for more content rather than exact credit amounts. You are also free to list upper division biology courses (as long as you are not also using them to fulfill other prerequisites like genetics). It is completely up to you as long as you are using courses that cover our required content (as listed on our course descriptions pagehttp://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/prerequisites/course-descriptions). The courses you enter into the prerequisites section of our supplemental application will be used to calculate your prerequisite GPA (one of the five GPAs considered as part of the academic criteria http://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/academic-criteria).

Hope that helps!

It's not an MMI like some of the schools. I didn't get an interview, but the admissions officer told me they don't do MMIs.

I have done an mmi if you have questions!!

Good Luck! Tell us about the interview process please :)
When I interviewed there were three interviewers. Two faculty members and a local alumni. There were 10ish questions. Some very basic, "tell us why you want to be a vet/why you think you're well suited," etc, other's situational. "Tell us about a time when X and how you resolved it." I also had a few ethics questions about how I would handle a situation. All around a pretty laid back interview and pretty short. They have half hour slots, but mine was only around 20 minutes.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not an MMI like some of the schools. I didn't get an interview, but the admissions officer told me they don't do MMIs.

I have done an mmi if you have questions!!
Thank you, you are sweet, my dear. I have done MMI as well. THis is my second and last year applying to veterinary schools. If I don't get in this year I will pursue a different career.

When I interviewed there were three interviewers. Two faculty members and a local alumni. There were 10ish questions. Some very basic, "tell us why you want to be a vet/why you think you're well suited," etc, other's situational. "Tell us about a time when X and how you resolved it." I also had a few ethics questions about how I would handle a situation. All around a pretty laid back interview and pretty short. They have half hour slots, but mine was only around 20 minutes.
Thank you so much for the tips. You are awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm visiting Thursday. Any advice?

That it is!

Just be prepared for road construction. :yeahright:
So much construction every where. School starts in two weeks and I feel like there is no way this is going to be done by then with how long everything else has taken

Bit late, but I'm a first time OOS applicant. Can anyone who is already at WSU tell me how pet-friendly Pullman is? I've got two dogs that would be coming with me if I get in. Also, is there a fair amount of outdoor rec in the area (nature areas, hiking trails, etc)?

Bit late, but I'm a first time OOS applicant. Can anyone who is already at WSU tell me how pet-friendly Pullman is? I've got two dogs that would be coming with me if I get in. Also, is there a fair amount of outdoor rec in the area (nature areas, hiking trails, etc)?

Pullman is fairly pet friendly. It's pretty easy to find an apartment, but you might have to settle for an older rental home versus a newer apartment building. Many people purchase a trailer and sell it when they're done with school. There are a couple of dog parks in Pullman and Moscow (I think you have to pay to use Pullman's - Moscow has 2, and they're free). There are a lot of trails around. Moscow Mountain might not feel much like a mountain, depending on where you're from, but it's grown on me. We have walking/bike trails that go between Pullman/Moscow/Troy, there's Moscow Mountain for hiking within ~40 minutes of Pullman, and then a lot of other options with a slightly longer commute. (Northern Idaho is absolutely gorgeous - Priest Lake/Priest River is my favorite. It's just a few hours north of us.) I've been told this is a really great fly fishing area, too, if you do that.

Reactions: 2 users
What's the benefit to starting at Logan and raking up more debt, rather than just applying to the Pullman campus? That seems really odd that anyone would choose to do that when literally every other student gets a tuition break.
I am a C/O 2020 OOS currently at Logan. It isn't really a choice you are given if you are at WSU or USU-they just put you there. It is more expensive and not being able to ever get in state tuition sucks, but the class size is small and the environment is very supportive. I chose the option of USU if possible simply because I wanted the best chance of getting in to the school.

I am a C/O 2020 OOS currently at Logan. It isn't really a choice you are given if you are at WSU or USU-they just put you there. It is more expensive and not being able to ever get in state tuition sucks, but the class size is small and the environment is very supportive. I chose the option of USU if possible simply because I wanted the best chance of getting in to the school.
On the supplemental you get to choose if you want to be considered for Logan positions or not. So if you choose to be considered it will be where they put you for your offer. However if you choose not to be considered for Logan then you will only be offered a position at WSU if you are accepted.

Wear sunscreen and bring water! (Or $ for vending machine water) It's been hot here and if you explore campus, there are a lot of hills.
Yeah it was super hot. I got a very tasty milkshake tho!

I was a bit discouraged by the stats, learning there are only about 20 OOS spots in Pullman. I don't think I would consider Logan. One of the main reasons I am applying to WSU is for the IS tuition rate. The person I met with said to really think about whether you would attend Logan or not and that you should not put yes on the supplemental just to have it look better.

Just hit the submit button on the supplemental!! :banana:

Hopefully I didn't screw anything up :cat:

Reactions: 1 users
Ok so...is the interview not a requirement prior to acceptances? I was looking at last years Acceptances/Rejects threads, where everyone posted the date on which they heard back from the school and two people got accepted into WSU in NOVEMBER last year. Both were OOS. So is it like Oregon where only IS are interviewed? That doesn't match up to what their website says, which is: "The non-cognitive evaluation of the top qualified applicants in the WIMU and nonresident applicant pools may include a personal interview"

**confused**

Ok so...is the interview not a requirement prior to acceptances? I was looking at last years Acceptances/Rejects threads, where everyone posted the date on which they heard back from the school and two people got accepted into WSU in NOVEMBER last year. Both were OOS. So is it like Oregon where only IS are interviewed? That doesn't match up to what their website says, which is: "The non-cognitive evaluation of the top qualified applicants in the WIMU and nonresident applicant pools may include a personal interview"

**confused**
Only some applicants from WICHE states are accepted without an interview :)

Generally they're the top ones from their state and those most likely to get WICHE funding. Other WICHE applicants will be either be offered acceptance contingent on getting WICHE funding, and offered to interview in the general OOS pool in case they don't get WICHE funding and want to be considered as an OOS student.

All other applicants (IS, ID, MT, UT and OOS), have to interview :)

I'm not sure what they mean in the question "Have/will you successfully complete an undergraduate academic honors program?" which is on the supplement. Do I answer yes if I will have a bachelor's degree in Spring? My college doesn't have an honors program specifically.

I'm not sure what they mean in the question "Have/will you successfully complete an undergraduate academic honors program?" which is on the supplement. Do I answer yes if I will have a bachelor's degree in Spring? My college doesn't have an honors program specifically.
It sounds like they're asking if you're in a honors program, so your answer would be no.

You'll put no then :) they're looking for if you're in an honors program specifically, not just if you'll have your batchelor's in the spring.

For WSU's eLOR requirement, does this involve brand new letter writers or are the writers I have for my VMCAS application able to just email what they've already written? I just got an email saying I need to submit eLORs when I've got 4 already submitted through VMCAS.

For WSU's eLOR requirement, does this involve brand new letter writers or are the writers I have for my VMCAS application able to just email what they've already written? I just got an email saying I need to submit eLORs when I've got 4 already submitted through VMCAS.
Unless they've seriously changed something this year, only the eLOR's through VMCAS should be required.

Is the email from someone specific in the admin to just you, or is it an automatic email just reminding people to have everything submitted by the due date?

Unless they've seriously changed something this year, only the eLOR's through VMCAS should be required.

Is the email from someone specific in the admin to just you, or is it an automatic email just reminding people to have everything submitted by the due date?
It is specific to me. It looks like they want an academic LOR and I don't have that because I've been out of school for over a year! Haha

Just hit the submit button on the supplemental!! :banana:

Hopefully I didn't screw anything up :cat:

Congrats!! :D

Geez, when I logged in today SDN notified me that I got my 10-year award. I initially signed up when VMCAS was having online issues and I found other people to commiserate with lol. Here's to you looking back at apps in 10 years and thinking it's been a good ride :)

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! :D

Geez, when I logged in today SDN notified me that I got my 10-year award. I initially signed up when VMCAS was having online issues and I found other people to commiserate with lol. Here's to you looking back at apps in 10 years and thinking it's been a good ride :)
Congrats on your decade! ;)

Anyone know when they will be doing OOS interviews? I had it marked that they will be Jan 22-26th but now I can't find where I originally saw that.

Anyone know when they will be doing OOS interviews? I had it marked that they will be Jan 22-26th but now I can't find where I originally saw that.
They have been known to change interview dates in the past, so if information disappeared from the website it might be because they're making a scheduling change.

They have been known to change interview dates in the past, so if information disappeared from the website it might be because they're making a scheduling change.
This is good to know, but I really hope they don't because if I interview everywhere I applied it currently works out great...really don't need that changing.
Although I just looked at their website and everything is still the same for now :)
Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile

I figured that is why it may have been removed.

Got notification my app is complete and being reviewed by the admissions committee the other day. Yay... I should be more excited about this, but it just shows I got all my stuff in and there is only like 55 or so more days before they release interview decisions if they stick to last years time line.:whistle:

Got notification my app is complete and being reviewed by the admissions committee the other day. Yay... I should be more excited about this, but it just shows I got all my stuff in and there is only like 55 or so more days before they release interview decisions if they stick to last years time line.:whistle:
When is the other day ?

Idaho and WA usually hear about interviews in early Nov. I think my invite came 11/2 last year, or around then. OOS don't hear until December.

Idaho and WA usually hear about interviews in early Nov. I think my invite came 11/2 last year, or around then. OOS don't hear until December.
Ahh! That's so soon! I'm getting anxious to hear:)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk