WOW lots of desi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiahs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never knew so many desi's where on this site...

HAhA I just forgot where else would we be we're indian.....

No, I'm sorry actually I always resent it when I meet an american person and they're like what are you studying medicine or engineering :)

Members don't see this ad.

No, I'm sorry actually I always resent it when I meet an american person and they're like what are you studying medicine or engineering :)[/QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
that is sooo true!!!!

kiahs said:
I never knew so many desi's where on this site...

HAhA I just forgot where else would we be we're indian.....

No, I'm sorry actually I always resent it when I meet an american person and they're like what are you studying medicine or engineering :)

Welcome bud :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity how many of you decided to choose medicine because of family pressue? I was discussing this very topic with some of my indian friends who claim that this is the reason all desi kids choose the field which i believe is a bunch of crap, but hey you never know. I chose on my own but my parents were definatly thrilled to find out what about you folks?

kiahs said:
Just out of curiosity how many of you decided to choose medicine because of family pressue? I was discussing this very topic with some of my indian friends who claim that this is the reason all desi kids choose the field which i believe is a bunch of crap, but hey you never know. I chose on my own but my parents were definatly thrilled to find out what about you folks?

i kind of have to agree with your friends. i think a lot (not all, but a lot) of indians do what makes there parents happy...or whatever will make them alot of money. majority of the indian friends i have went into either medicine (or some health field incl. pharmacy, nursing, etc.), engineering, or business. i began my college career as pre-pharmacy because my parents felt it was a suitable career choice (esp. for a girl!!) and gave a good salary. i soon realized i had no interest in it except to make my parents happy. i now have a MPH and a good job (not a lot of money...but i love what i do). i also think alot of indians choose their careers based on money..also another influence of our parents. recently i butt heads with my in-laws because they kept telling my brother-in-law, who starts college in the fall, that he had to choose a career that made alot of money and nothing else. you should have seen the look on their faces when i said that money was not important, but he had to enjoy what he did. they were not pleased with me telling him that...oh well!! :rolleyes: like my daddy says "a big house doesn't buy you a home; and a nice car will not take you where you need to be in life!"...

kiahs said:

My parents completely opposed the idea of me going to medical school. They're afraid I won't get married till im 30!! lol for me it was fighting them and convincing them that I wanted to pursue medicine. Quite an unusal case. :)

like my daddy says "a big house doesn't buy you a home; and a nice car will not take you where you need to be in life!"...[/QUOTE]

Very well said !!! :thumbup:

That's not an unusual argument. My parents went to heads with it when I applied, with my dad finally telling my mom that there were more important things in the world then getting her daughter married at a suitable age. My mom doesn't believe him, and is right now set on collecting anecdotes about people who get married while they're in medical school and turn out ok.

I'm trying my best to appear very studious and not concerned about the train of her thoughts lately... :laugh:

otherwise, i'll just have to throw a tantrum, and tell my dad more horror stories about people getting married -- watch the news for a while, I don't think Peterson and Hackey (sp?) really help the cause of supposed wedded bliss at all. It's so sad that some people would resort to violence before they'd resort to divorce.

Anyways, I forgot the point of my post. Oh yeah, it was to tell the previous poster that you're not alone in parents scared to death that you're not going to get married till you're 30. A friend of mine doing engineering actually had her parents congratulate her on her smart choice in careers because her cousin who's a doc is 29 and single, and there can be no greater atrocity...

Haha. Ok, hope I amused you guys at least a littlE! I'm going to have to go write a more substantial post somewhere else to make up for this.. :p

entsworld said:
That's not an unusual argument. My parents went to heads with it when I applied, with my dad finally telling my mom that there were more important things in the world then getting her daughter married at a suitable age. My mom doesn't believe him, and is right now set on collecting anecdotes about people who get married while they're in medical school and turn out ok.

I'm trying my best to appear very studious and not concerned about the train of her thoughts lately... :laugh:

otherwise, i'll just have to throw a tantrum, and tell my dad more horror stories about people getting married -- watch the news for a while, I don't think Peterson and Hackey (sp?) really help the cause of supposed wedded bliss at all. It's so sad that some people would resort to violence before they'd resort to divorce.

Anyways, I forgot the point of my post. Oh yeah, it was to tell the previous poster that you're not alone in parents scared to death that you're not going to get married till you're 30. A friend of mine doing engineering actually had her parents congratulate her on her smart choice in careers because her cousin who's a doc is 29 and single, and there can be no greater atrocity...

Haha. Ok, hope I amused you guys at least a littlE! I'm going to have to go write a more substantial post somewhere else to make up for this.. :p

yeah my parents are warming up to the idea. i guess i left them no choice :D

DoctorMalki said:
like my daddy says "a big house doesn't buy you a home; and a nice car will not take you where you need to be in life!"...

Very well said !!! :thumbup:[/QUOTE]
Very well said :thumbup: Please tell your dad we are impressed

pinktooth said:
Very well said !!! :thumbup:
Very well said :thumbup: Please tell your dad we are impressed[/QUOTE]

thanks...i'm impressed with my daddy too...he's a very wise man!!