This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@gyngyn @wingedscapula What are your thoughts on open cut style jackets (like a short blazer, no button), with matching material for skirt/pant?

I've got a petite, curvy frame and I've had zero luck with any jacket that buttons (it ends up looking ridiculous). Tried going up a few sizes so the jacket covers my chest without pulling when buttoned, but then the whole thing is much too big everywhere else (beyond possibility of tailoring).

Seriously considering starting a WOMen's Wearhouse if med school doesn't pan out. Finding appropriate suiting should not be this challenging... **pounds glass ceiling**

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Trendy short jackets are just not appropriate; you'll look to much like a movie usher/waiter.

Tailoring is your friend. Find one big enough to fit your chest and have the waist/sides taken in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @wingedscapula! Saw a girl at an interview with one that I thought looked OK, but always better to err on the conservative side. Appreciate the feedback!

You're welcome (BTW, you aren't tagging me - my user name has caps and spaces. I just happened to see your post).

Reactions: 1 user
I start my interview marathon next Thursday and have an interview/week for the next several weeks. I have all of my attire completely planned for each interview. What I forgot to consider is what I'm supposed to do with my hair. I have very VERY long hair that's past my belly button. I'm most comfortable wearing it in a ponytail or half-up, but I don't want to appear hippie-esque or childish. When I pull it into a bun, the bobby pins really irritate my scalp and cause headaches (because I'm using approx. 100). My main question is can I still look professional with an incredibly long straight or loosely curled ponytail?

I start my interview marathon next Thursday and have an interview/week for the next several weeks. I have all of my attire completely planned for each interview. What I forgot to consider is what I'm supposed to do with my hair. I have very VERY long hair that's past my belly button. I'm most comfortable wearing it in a ponytail or half-up, but I don't want to appear hippie-esque or childish. When I pull it into a bun, the bobby pins really irritate my scalp and cause headaches (because I'm using approx. 100). My main question is can I still look professional with an incredibly long straight or loosely curled ponytail?
My hair is that long. I wore it in a ponytail for my first interview and felt self concious about it. I wore it in a bun for the other 2 and felt much more comfortable. However, I don't use any bobby pins to do it.

Look into the product Goody Spin Pins! You can get them in different colors for your hair. I think I got mine at Target but they might be available elsewhere (definitely online as well). You will need to practice a bit, and you probably will need to add a few bobby pins to get the flyaways, but you can probably greatly reduce the number of pins you are using with this product.

Here is a tutorial of someone using them:

Reactions: 2 users
I suggest you wear your hair in a LOW BUN. I wore mine with my hair either parted in the middle or side for my interviews. I did a low-pony for 1 interview, but my hair was straightened, I felt good with that style too.

If bobby pins hurt you, those spin-pin things look pretty neat, try those!

Is it okay to wear unmatching color of slacks and suit jacket? Was thinking of dark grey bottoms with black jacket and white top underneath.

Is it okay to wear unmatching color of slacks and suit jacket? Was thinking of dark grey bottoms with black jacket and white top underneath.
No it needs to be a matching suit. Dark grey or black are both good, the dark grey is best.

I have pretty long hair and I used a low half-ponytail for my interviews. I have curly hair and I straightened it (seems more professional to me.) A full ponytail seems a little too casual, but the half-ponytail looked fine to me.

I use those Goody Spin Pins and it looks pretty good (I actually brush my hair first unlike the woman in the video above - helps ;) ); then again, my hair is not waist length.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about a 3 quarter sleeve blazer ?
3450800_fpx.tif

what about a 3 quarter sleeve blazer ?
3450800_fpx.tif

I think it looks very elegant and sharp, however my intuition tells me that it may fall into the same category as cropped ankle pants, in that it may read as more trendy/fashion/casual than full length. I'll be curious to hear thoughts on this.

I think it looks very elegant and sharp, however my intuition tells me that it may fall into the same category as cropped ankle pants, in that it may read as more trendy/fashion/casual than full length. I'll be curious to hear thoughts on this.

Me too. My interview is in 3 days so I need to make a decision quick lol. One thing I liked about it is it's fits me better because I'm very petite so even with a size small it can sometimes look like I'm swimming in the full sleeve jacket

I'm going to say that the particular dress suit posted in the photo looks very polished and professional, so a good choice.
But I would not necessarily generalize to say that as a rule 3/4-length sleeves are fine. My vote is that this one works.

I feel like it's unfair that girls are expected to wear heels. Why do we need to take a tour in heels while guys get to wear comfy, flat shoes. I'll stop complaining now...

I feel like it's unfair that girls are expected to wear heels. Why do we need to take a tour in heels while guys get to wear comfy, flat shoes. I'll stop complaining now...
you can always wear flats!

you can always wear flats!
I've considered it but then I always hear that it looks better to wear heels. I'm just being a cry baby about the heels. I'll get over it. hahaa

Even though I have super comfortable low heels, my feet kill me after more than 4 hours. Campus tour? Rough. I try to stay engaged and look interested but mostly running through my mind is "Ouch!"

I hate when I'm running down the stairs during a tour and feel like I'm holding up all of the guys behind me haha. Agreed! But I also still wear them just because I feel more put together when I'm wearing heels.

I've considered it but then I always hear that it looks better to wear heels. I'm just being a cry baby about the heels. I'll get over it. hahaa
Well this might help then: I wore heels the entire day and then I would switch to flats during the tour. The trick is to carry a bag large enough to hold the shoes.

Although I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter...I saw plenty of women opt for flats only.

Even though I have super comfortable low heels, my feet kill me after more than 4 hours. Campus tour? Rough. I try to stay engaged and look interested but mostly running through my mind is "Ouch!"
Yeah I feel okay in my heels, but I've only ever worn them into a building for an interview and then out of the building. I've never taken a tour in them. I have my (only!) interview this Wednesday at what is basically my dream school. I am so nervous and it still doesn't feel real that I have an interview there! I'm going to wear my heels around my house as much as possible to get used to standing in them for long periods of time. I'm so scared!!! haha

Well this might help then: I wore heels the entire day and then I would switch to flats during the tour. The trick is to carry a bag large enough to hold the shoes.

Although I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter...I saw plenty of women opt for flats only.

I have a pair of flats that I might consider bringing. Only problem is they are nude and my heels are black. I couldn't afford to drop more money right now so I couldn't go buy black flats. I think they still look good with my outfit so I'm considering bringing them. And yes, definitely have to bring a bag big enough!!

I hate when I'm running down the stairs during a tour and feel like I'm holding up all of the guys behind me haha. Agreed! But I also still wear them just because I feel more put together when I'm wearing heels.

Hahaha I always just try to stay as far to the right as possible and hope people just pass me. haha

Good luck at your interview!!! I got accepted to my first interview that was also my dream school. Just be confident and friendly (all of which I'm sure you know) and you're golden. As for the nude flats, I definitely saw people changing to nude flats for the tour. I changed to flats for the tour as well for that interview and was sooo glad I did. At a later interview, I didn't switch over because I didn't want to bring a big bag, and I don't remember anything from the tour except for how badly my feet hurt. Definitely take them and play it by ear based on how your feet are feeling. Good luck again!!

Wow thanks so much for the advice and the well wishes! It actually makes me feel better knowing you were accepted into the first school that you interviewed at. Congrats on that! How exciting!! I'm just nervous since I won't have as much practice as some of the others. I think I will definitely pack my flats then and just see how my feet are doing when it comes time for the tour. Thanks!!

Wow thanks so much for the advice and the well wishes! It actually makes me feel better knowing you were accepted into the first school that you interviewed at. Congrats on that! How exciting!! I'm just nervous since I won't have as much practice as some of the others. I think I will definitely pack my flats then and just see how my feet are doing when it comes time for the tour. Thanks!!
Thank you!! I still don't believe it to be honest. :) I had the same concerns as you! I wanted to schedule my dream school after another interview but it wasn't possible so I just tried to go in as confident as possible. Looking back, I think my answers were the most genuine and didn't sound rehearsed like they did at my last interview. Just practice saying your answers to the basic questions out loud if it's a traditional interview (so why do you want to be a doctor, talk about leadership experience/community service etc) since it helps to actually verbalize those things. You've totally got this. :)

I have a pair of flats that I might consider bringing. Only problem is they are nude and my heels are black. I couldn't afford to drop more money right now so I couldn't go buy black flats. I think they still look good with my outfit so I'm considering bringing them. And yes, definitely have to bring a bag big enough!!
GOOD LUCK this Wednesday girl! you got this!

On every interview I've been on, which is about 12 at this point, I've been one of 2 or 3 girls wearing heels out of a group of up to 12 women. My thoughts on the trail was that it was far less common for women to wear heels, especially the younger applicants.

As we move into the last round of interviews, allow me to comment on some recent aberrancies.
Boots are not business professional. This is especially true of ankle shooties with buckles and/or embellishment and over the knee styles.
A suit is required, not a shift with a sweater or a shift with a non-matching jacket.
Glittering belts or accessories are not recommended.
Long, dangling necklaces are not business professional.
Long slits up the front of a dress are particularly distracting.
If we remember your makeup, it was not business professional.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 users
They are in Texas!!!

As we move into the last round of interviews, allow me to comment on some recent aberrancies.
Boots are not business professional. This is especially true of ankle shooties with buckles and/or embellishment and over the knee styles.
A suit is required, not a shift with a sweater or a shift with a non-matching jacket.
Glittering belts or accessories are not recommended.
Long, dangling necklaces are not business professional.
Long slits up the front of a dress are particularly distracting.
If we remember your makeup, it was not business professional.

I love a good loafer. What is your suit like? This could probably only work with straight leg a pant suit, I think it would look off with anything else because of how high they are cut. Not sure if loafers are considered "business professional". I know they were worn with suits in the like 1960s-1980s but I haven't seen that look recently, but then again I don't spend much time with people in suits/business professional.

TPTB on this thread consider loafers too casual to wear with formal business attire (although those look cute and comfy, and the burgundy one is gorgggg). Consensus is to find a neutral pump with a low heel, or--if you absolutely cant wear heels--a flat or wedge that imitates the style of a heel (no ballet flats, etc).

Pointed toe loafer is def better than square toe loafer, but you'd be safer with a more formal pump.

Are there any drawbacks for a girl going more masculine with her suits? Even light makeup makes me uncomfortable and distracted--I usually wear none. I'm comfortable in skirts and dresses but not in flats or heels, so I tend to go for loafers w/ socks (I'll be on the lookout for something more formal than that), which necessitates a pantsuit.

The original post suggests that no makeup might make me look too young, which is already a problem I often have--people tend to underguess my age by about three/four years. And is there any chance that it will unintentionally come across as, like, a social/political statement? I know part of the purpose of business clothes is to fit the mold and I definitely don't want to stand out b/c my clothes, but I also don't want to bleed all over the school grounds.

I'm not applying this cycle so if the advice is "learn to be comfortable in makeup" I have time to do that. Advice?

Are there any drawbacks for a girl going more masculine with her suits? Even light makeup makes me uncomfortable and distracted--I usually wear none. I'm comfortable in skirts and dresses but not in flats or heels, so I tend to go for loafers w/ socks (I'll be on the lookout for something more formal than that), which necessitates a pantsuit.

The original post suggests that no makeup might make me look too young, which is already a problem I often have--people tend to underguess my age by about three/four years. And is there any chance that it will unintentionally come across as, like, a social/political statement? I know part of the purpose of business clothes is to fit the mold and I definitely don't want to stand out b/c my clothes, but I also don't want to bleed all over the school grounds.

I'm not applying this cycle so if the advice is "learn to be comfortable in makeup" I have time to do that. Advice?
Pantsuits are fine. No make up is fine. Post a pic of the loafers. Flats are a better option; maybe with some added cushion for comfort and support.

A pants suit sounds like your best bet then. Look for a dressy shoe with a lowish heel if you're not comfortable in pumps. With pants, you've got a bit more shoe leeway, though you DO have to be extra careful with flat shoes that they're not too casual. If you wear socks as opposed to stockings, they should be dark, dressy and sheer.

NO makeup is not the most professional look, but you can get by with just a touch of mascara and blush, plus maybe a touch of lip tint. Plenty of time to practice --

NO makeup is not the most professional look, but you can get by with just a touch of mascara and blush, plus maybe a touch of lip tint. Plenty of time to practice

@AttemptingScholar I recommend tinted lip balm. It's not as obvious if it starts to wear off, it can look a little more natural than traditional lipstick, and it feels like regular lip balm on your lips. If you go with that, then mascara will probably be the hardest to get used to but I don't know any ways around that one ;)

While I'm here, anyone know how to go about finding a tailor/seamstress? I bought my suit early because I need one for something else this summer, but I'm having a really hard time finding someone to do some alterations. I've come across some folks who do minor stuff (i.e. just hemming) or formalwear/bridal alterations, but nobody so far who is willing to work on a women's suit jacket :unsure:

While I'm here, anyone know how to go about finding a tailor/seamstress? I bought my suit early because I need one for something else this summer, but I'm having a really hard time finding someone to do some alterations. I've come across some folks who do minor stuff (i.e. just hemming) or formalwear/bridal alterations, but nobody so far who is willing to work on a women's suit jacket :unsure:

What part of the jacket needs work? Shoulders are exceptionally difficult; nipping in the waist is easy.

What part of the jacket needs work? Shoulders are exceptionally difficult; nipping in the waist is easy.

I made sure it fit in the shoulders when I bought it (I have been reading/listening!), but the waist very much needs to be taken in. Glad to hear that will be an easier alteration.
I'm still waiting to hear back from a woman who does alterations in addition to teaching sewing lessons. Not sure it's the best option, but going to her wouldn't require me to take off work and make an hour drive (one-way) to another city during business hours.