This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a friend who considers leopard print to be "a neutral" -- seriously. You know - because it goes with everything... :oops::rolleyes:o_O

Are you friends with my sister?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a friend who considers leopard print to be "a neutral" -- seriously. You know - because it goes with everything... :oops::rolleyes:o_O

Well it really does and I know the fashion magazines promulgate that sensitivity. But it is not professional and certainly I would not expect or advise someone to wear it for this type of interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As we move into the second half of the interview season, I would like to address a few aberrancies I have seen so far.

1. A suit is required. It has a jacket and either trousers or a skirt made of the same fabric. A shift and matching jacket are also acceptable. A sweater is not a jacket. A shawl is not a jacket. Tights are not trousers! Neoprene is not a component of a business professional suit.
2. It is common not to wear hose in California. Wear them anyway in this circumstance.
3. If you have multiple piercings, remove all but two of them (earlobes).
4. If a significant portion of your scalp is shaved, put off your interview until you can fashion the remaining hair into something that covers this area.
5. Animal is not business professional.
6. Eyeliner should not make a statement. Jewel tones, in particular are not acceptable.
7. A skort is not a skirt.
8. Earrings should not dangle.
9. We should not know the color of your pedicure.
10. We should not know if your umbilicus is pierced.
11. We should not know whose name is tattooed over your left breast.

In summary, your appearance should not be how we describe you ("tights girl," animal woman...)

12. Suits should not be made out of leather (I've seen 2 of these!!)

Reactions: 2 users
Regarding shoes: Can I wear black oxford shoes (with a charcoal suit) similar to these? https://www.amazon.com/U-lite-Brogues-Lace-up-Wingtip-Leather/dp/B01M4M9BLY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1483116079&sr=8-7&keywords=women+oxford+shoes+black

Regarding the suit: I was wondering if this shade of Navy Blue is acceptable? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b8/ee/2e/b8ee2eb58593087d14b4701b51da6c68.jpg (This isn't the suit, just using it for color reference)

Thanks!

Don't know about the shoes (pumps generally recommended), but I've seen that color on a bunch of people at interviews and I think it looks great!

Ohhh I should have read through this thread before I went shopping...
I bought these black suede wedges with small scalloped edges. They're about 2 inches, I think. I thought it was very professional and cute. Am I wrong?
Kind of like this but with edges like these.

I know this is incredibly vague, but does anyone have any general suggestions for particular types of suit cuts to avoid/seek for those of us with large chests and large posteriors? :laugh:

I don't feel like I necessarily need to "hide" anything (I think the best way to phrase it is that nothing is so large that it looks like surgery was involved), but it seems that most suit cuts I find actually emphasize these areas and make it look like surgery may have been involved!

I bought these black suede wedges with small scalloped edges. They're about 2 inches, I think. I thought it was very professional and cute. Am I wrong?
I've seen worse, much worse.

I know this is incredibly vague, but does anyone have any general suggestions for particular types of suit cuts to avoid/seek for those of us with large chests and large posteriors? :laugh:

I don't feel like I necessarily need to "hide" anything (I think the best way to phrase it is that nothing is so large that it looks like surgery was involved), but it seems that most suit cuts I find actually emphasize these areas and make it look like surgery may have been involved!

I totally understand where you're coming from, hahaha. I've heard a few times that a sheath dress with a matching blazer can help if you're on the more curvy side!

You know, I'm really curious; what's the worst thing that you all have seen as an outfit?

Love these threads by the way, it's super helpful to see what other people get so you know what to look for when you're picking out an outfit.

Members don't see this ad :)

Haha, okay. I guess that means I should play it safe and go get something more conservative? I think the rest of my outfit is fairly similar to the "approved" outfits from earlier comments. Well, at least this gives me the excuse to go shopping again.
Thank you, by the way!

For all of those confused/deciding which kind of tops to wear with your suit, I found it the most appropriate and professional to wear a plain, simple button down. I literally rotated between white, blue and white vertical striped, and salmon pink ones for all my interviews. I wore it tucked in with a proper black pant suit and I always felt comfortable. I also highly suggest pulling your hair back, I think it looks too casual to wear it down. Just my opinion!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/1c/7f/ef/1c7fef4de38a18f9c62d599679e9c770.jpg

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-54326505...ipe-executive-oxford-button-down-shirt-14.jpg

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Non-I...var_WV00757_Color=PNMD&contentpos=2&cgid=0242

A question I didn't even think of until now- I get my hair cut in a standard military fade- I'm actually trying to be an Army physician, and USUHS is one of the schools I'm applying to.

Do I need to start growing out my hair for interviews? I'd be applying for the June/July 2017 cycle, so I have time to grow it out if necessary.

I saw some shoes like what you're describing out when shopping and I think they're totally fine! Is it a pant suit or skirt/dress suit? If pants, I doubt if your shoes will even be noticed if they're black and your suit is black.
I am wearing a skirt. If it's not too much of a distractor, then I may just keep the shoes.

Thanks for advice, especially on New Year's Eve!
Happy 2017!

I have a similar problem. I was more comfortable in a pant suit but opted to have it altered so that it fit properly.

Reading this thread I am glad I am not a female.. You folks have it rough lol
Also out of curiosity
Would you accept a female dressed like she belongs in 1865?
art-museum-polonaise-oscar-debbie-love-victorian.jpg

A question I didn't even think of until now- I get my hair cut in a standard military fade- I'm actually trying to be an Army physician, and USUHS is one of the schools I'm applying to.

Do I need to start growing out my hair for interviews? I'd be applying for the June/July 2017 cycle, so I have time to grow it out if necessary.

How short is it? Can you post a picture of the approximate length? 'Short' is fine, but totally buzzed could work against you.

"professional and cute" When talking about interview wear, these two words don't go together... If you're wearing a black pantsuit with black sheer socks, you could get by with them. For a dress or skirt suit, sorry...

Yes, a sheath dress and matching blazer will definitely de-emphasize your hourglass if it's not too tight. Do get your dress tailored to fit -- an easy alteration.

Kinda OK. An improvement over the funeral black outfits we always see, but is it interview professional? You tell me.

I don't know what it is about gyngyn's school, but we've never had wackos act out in their clothing styles at interviews. Maybe 2-3x some people have shown up in street clothes, but they had lost their luggage during their flights in.

So something like this?
article-2131375-0933CE6D000005DC-499_634x475.jpg

Kinda OK. An improvement over the funeral black outfits we always see, but is it interview professional? You tell me.

I don't know what it is about gyngyn's school, but we've never had wackos act out in their clothing styles at interviews. Maybe 2-3x some people have shown up in street clothes, but they had lost their luggage during their flights in.

I wouldn't know, asking the wrong guy lol
My typical outfit is work boots jeans and a shirt
But if I was going to an interview(work or med school) this would be how I would dress..
And yeah I would leave the cowboy boots at home.. 0_0
e6c4fe43a2c4d1cc8558d9156c72a944.jpg

Looks fine. I have no doubt some people will bitch about the shade of blue.

I wouldn't know, asking the wrong guy lol
My typical outfit is work boots jeans and a shirt
But if I was going to an interview(work or med school) this would be how I would dress..
And yeah I would leave the cowboy boots at home.. 0_0
e6c4fe43a2c4d1cc8558d9156c72a944.jpg

Looks fine. I have no doubt some people will bitch about the shade of blue.
You know I wonder what it will be like in 20 years when the young guys start to take over?
Tattoos are increasingly considered to be okay in white collar work(visible ones), piercings on men as well, and so is facial hair..

Will our future doctors be tattooed with mohawks and ear gauges? Hmmmm

Yes, a sheath dress and matching blazer will definitely de-emphasize your hourglass if it's not too tight. Do get your dress tailored to fit -- an easy alteration.
Something along these lines?

imageService
imageService

Reactions: 4 users
How short is it? Can you post a picture of the approximate length? 'Short' is fine, but totally buzzed could work against you.

Military-Haircut-Passion-in-Teen-Boys-1.jpg

Didn't even mean to find a uniformed guy, but around that length. I can grow it out if I needed to, but I'd like to know in advance.

Assuming you're fully out on your application, a haircut that short might not work against you. But if you want your orientation to be a smaller part of your story, an extra inch or two would certainly tone down the 'in-your-face' shortness and blend in more. Up to you --

Assuming you're fully out on your application, a haircut that short might not work against you. But if you want your orientation to be a smaller part of your story, an extra inch or two would certainly tone down the 'in-your-face' shortness and blend in more. Up to you --

Thanks for your advice! I'll be completely out.

Would a sling back like this be ok? I have gone through three pairs of pumps already and my feet actually bled at my last interview. This style always seems to give me the least trouble...
ImageUploadedBySDN1483539996.906621.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Would a sling back like this be ok? I have gone through three pairs of pumps already and my feet actually bled at my last interview. This style always seems to give me the least trouble...View attachment 213052

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Maybe if you are wearing a pantsuit and the pants are long enough the backs are covered. I've been using moleskin with my feet and shoes at interviews. Helps with rubbing and not stepping out of them.

Maybe if you are wearing a pantsuit and the pants are long enough the backs are covered. I've been using moleskin with my feet and shoes at interviews. Helps with rubbing and not stepping out of them.

I'd also suggest the Band Aid Blister Ampoules. I used to do field work, and they were the only thing that saved my feet after hiking miles each day.

... and in a pinch, a spot of Scotch tape applied to dry feet under your pantyhose. Shoes and hose slide right over the tape & blister.

As to the acceptability of slingbacks -- Not as good as pumps, but (IMO) better than peeptoes or wedges. @Winged Scapula ?

Thanks everyone! I am going to try walking around the house in the blister bandaid/moleskin combo this weekend!

... and in a pinch, a spot of Scotch tape applied to dry feet under your pantyhose. Shoes and hose slide right over the tape & blister.

As to the acceptability of slingbacks -- Not as good as pumps, but (IMO) better than peeptoes or wedges. @Winged Scapula ?
Well I love me a good slingback that's for sure.

Definitely better than peep toes and I do think they are more elegant and formal than wedges. Not as good as a full pump but I hear ya about the blisters. I'm prone myself.

So just make sure that the strap stays on and you are "clomping" all over the place

@gyngyn @Goro What is the to go rule if it's snowing? Are we supposed to wear snow boots and bring shoes to change once inside the building? What about the winter coats that are not formal, such as this one? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/a6/e2/61/a6e2618455cc87cfea264ec955f0c97d.jpg
I wore a coat like that when I was in the East Coast during the polar vortex last month and no one seemed to care. I was more concerned about the girl in the nearly mini-skirt length suit with no pantyhose on!

Reactions: 3 users