This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any drawbacks for a girl going more masculine with her suits? Even light makeup makes me uncomfortable and distracted--I usually wear none. I'm comfortable in skirts and dresses but not in flats or heels, so I tend to go for loafers w/ socks (I'll be on the lookout for something more formal than that), which necessitates a pantsuit.

The original post suggests that no makeup might make me look too young, which is already a problem I often have--people tend to underguess my age by about three/four years. And is there any chance that it will unintentionally come across as, like, a social/political statement? I know part of the purpose of business clothes is to fit the mold and I definitely don't want to stand out b/c my clothes, but I also don't want to bleed all over the school grounds.

I'm not applying this cycle so if the advice is "learn to be comfortable in makeup" I have time to do that. Advice?
No makeup is just fine, in my opinion. Some gals can go overboard with the cosmetics, so if you don't even wear any now and don't have a clue how to apply makeup, I'd say stick to that to be safe. If you do opt to wear makeup, I suggest you begin experimenting now so you can learn what you like and what feels most comfortable.

Mascara: Since you're a beginner, I suggest this popular mascara from Maybelline in the bright pink tube with a neon green cap.
8216cfa1-d880-4cb3-9244-bc7c1e9acbc5_1.3371828bf90f18d4cd64c2cb3822c101.jpeg

Face: keep your skin clean and apply moisturizer. If you have blemishes or acne and wish to conceal them, apply a light layer of foundation or tinted moisturizer. I'd avoid blush for now if you're a beginner.

Lips: bleh, I never wear lip product (hate lip balm, lip gloss, lip stick, all of it!). If you have dry lips, just apply chapstick!

Just remember, you're gonna look great with some light mascara or no makeup at all! Just act professional and look groomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a conservative little black dress from Ann Taylor. I was wondering if I could wear this to the white coat ceremony but it is a sleeveless v neck and v back sheath so I thought that might be too much. It isn't low or anything, nothing from AT really is, but should I shoot for more business than evening?

I have a conservative little black dress from Ann Taylor. I was wondering if I could wear this to the white coat ceremony but it is a sleeveless v neck and v back sheath so I thought that might be too much. It isn't low or anything, nothing from AT really is, but should I shoot for more business than evening?
It sounds fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lips: bleh, I never wear lip product (hate lip balm, lip gloss, lip stick, all of it!). If you have dry lips, just apply chapstick!

Tinted chapstick is a wonderful thing, if you aren't into lipstick or gloss, but want "I tried a little bit"/"maybe it's makeup look"

Tinted chapstick is a wonderful thing, if you aren't into lipstick or gloss, but want "I tried a little bit"/"maybe it's makeup look"
that's a good idea! what brand do you like?

I have Burt's Bees Rose Tinted Balm. I usually had to reapply it once or twice throughout the interview day especially after food, but otherwise it is the most convenient "makeup" product ever!

EDIT: And I got it at Walmart

I have Burt's Bees Rose Tinted Balm. I usually had to reapply it once or twice throughout the interview day especially after food, but otherwise it is the most convenient "makeup" product ever!

EDIT: And I got it at Walmart
oh ok yeah Burt's Bees is one of the only lip brands that I like. I use their lipstick when I want to have some color on my lipzzzz. I have their Matte Lip Crayon in the color Sedona Sands and it's pretty much the same color as my natural lips hahaha that's why I like it! But I'm gonna check out their tinted lip balm for sure

Color selection is limited, but I like Neutrogena's tinted lip balm (it's in a stick, like chapstick).

Reactions: 1 user
Suit fabric question - I have read on this forum that wool is recommended for suits, but do adcoms really notice a big difference between a black wool and a nice black poly blend? All the suits at Ann Taylor, Loft, Macy's, and many other nice clothing stores are a poly blend, so it makes me think maybe it's a more standard fabric for women's suits. And they drape more like a structured wool, not like a thick, stretchy knit.

For example, would this suit be suboptimal because it's polyester blend, even if it fits well?
IMG_7620.JPG

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Would a similarly-cut wool suit be noticeably better for some reason?
Yes. As long as you maintain your body weight and maintain it well, a well-cut suit will provide service for decades.

Thanks for the advice. I just bought a wool suit from BR and will keep the poly blend as an emergency backup. :)

ok, I'm still having suit problems. Apparently I'm hard to fit. Measurement-wise, it turns out my shoulders fit a size 4 jacket and my bust/hips, a size 14. I haven't been able to find someone who wants to take the shoulders/arms of a 14 jacket down ten sizes so that I can close the jacket but not have it hanging off my shoulders and arms.. A size 6 jacket looks great *open* - shoulders, back, arms look great, and overall it looks perfect when it's open... but I can't button it at all. Advice? Would it be horribly uncouth to just wear a jacket open the whole time instead of just when I'm sitting down?

ok, I'm still having suit problems. Apparently I'm hard to fit. Measurement-wise, it turns out my shoulders fit a size 4 jacket and my bust/hips, a size 14. I haven't been able to find someone who wants to take the shoulders/arms of a 14 jacket down ten sizes.. A size 6 jacket looks great *open* - shoulders, back, arms look great, and overall it looks perfect when it's open... but I can't button it at all. Advice? Would it be horribly uncouth to just wear a jacket open the whole time instead of just when I'm sitting down?
Will the tailor meet you half way?
Jackets that can't be closed are quite unflattering.

She said it would ruin the jacket to take that much out of the shoulders, and kept reinforcing to me that women rarely button their jackets at work or for interviews, that it's more old-fashioned and that I'd be better off with the more flattering/fitting jacket and leaving it open. I emphasized that med school interviews are more conservative and that I was told I'd be expected to button the jacket.
I may take the shoulders in a few sizes, but it'll cost as much as it did to buy the jacket! Just seems silly to pay that much to be able to button for the first 30 seconds of the interview, but first impressions are important.

Also, are any other ladies frustrated by the lack of quality women's wool suits? Walk into any department store and there are 3 square acres of men's wool suits and one rack of polyester women's suits, and maybe one wool jacket left in a size 0. :rolleyes:

For example, this is an 8 - it hangs off my shoulders about an inch on each side and is loose in the arms - not too horrible. But I can't button it. I mean, technically I can, but it's incredibly (inappropriately) tight when buttoned.

View attachment 221131
Find another tailor.

Sounds good. I may try a few more suit brands as well to find a better starting point.
I think changing the brands will be more helpful. Ann Taylor and Banana Republic clothes are cut very slim. Evan Picone suits are often available at outlet malls and are more forgiving. Nordstrom clerks are great at helping with fitting clothes and choosing things that are classic and will work for you.

I'm trying to get in on this thread since I tried on three of my suits yesterday and it seems that I either need to buy a new one, or I need to pray that I can get one tailored to fit correctly. I have a banana republic suit, but the top is too big or just doesn't hang right. It's clearly one size too large in the bust and waist, probably because I have long arms and needed to cover them. It is a two-button jacket and I am wondering if it is something that can be taken in? Poly blend.

I have a sharp black wool J Crew suit, but I can't figure out how I fit in it when I bought it because I'm the same weight now that I was 15 years ago and the skirt is WAY TOO TIGHT - everywhere. It's not a simple, "let's take the waist out" issue. I don't think that can be fixed, so I'm thinking I'm dead in the water with that one. Jacket looks sharp. Do they still make similar enough suits that I could purchase a bottom that fits and matches the top?

I also have a grey suit from The Limited, but I don't think it's formal enough. It's not dark grey and it doesn't look super professional. I think the top is also a tad large.

That said, if I pick a new suit out, where should I go? I think the suits I have will work for a photo, but I need something that works for interviews, assuming I get some.

Are we expected to wear a button up shirt? I have a high waist and tucked-in shirts look a little weird, but I'll make it work if a nice wool sweater is unacceptable.

Also, based on my age (I'm 35), I'd like to look as young as possible. Most people think I'm low 20s. My hair is long - can I leave it down in photos and at the interview to give me a more youthful look? I will, of course, go with very professional almost imperceptible makeup.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone have any suggestions for where to find a shirt to wear with a navy suit? Gaping is a serious issue with the traditional button-up shirt route :/ I was hoping to find something with a bit of a sleeve so I don't have to dry clean the suit quite as often, but all I've found so far that has an appropriate neckline are sleeveless shells.

I'm trying to get in on this thread since I tried on three of my suits yesterday and it seems that I either need to buy a new one, or I need to pray that I can get one tailored to fit correctly. I have a banana republic suit, but the top is too big or just doesn't hang right. It's clearly one size too large in the bust and waist, probably because I have long arms and needed to cover them. It is a two-button jacket and I am wondering if it is something that can be taken in? Poly blend.

I have a sharp black wool J Crew suit, but I can't figure out how I fit in it when I bought it because I'm the same weight now that I was 15 years ago and the skirt is WAY TOO TIGHT - everywhere. It's not a simple, "let's take the waist out" issue. I don't think that can be fixed, so I'm thinking I'm dead in the water with that one. Jacket looks sharp. Do they still make similar enough suits that I could purchase a bottom that fits and matches the top?

I also have a grey suit from The Limited, but I don't think it's formal enough. It's not dark grey and it doesn't look super professional. I think the top is also a tad large.

That said, if I pick a new suit out, where should I go? I think the suits I have will work for a photo, but I need something that works for interviews, assuming I get some.

Are we expected to wear a button up shirt? I have a high waist and tucked-in shirts look a little weird, but I'll make it work if a nice wool sweater is unacceptable.

Also, based on my age (I'm 35), I'd like to look as young as possible. Most people think I'm low 20s. My hair is long - can I leave it down in photos and at the interview to give me a more youthful look? I will, of course, go with very professional almost imperceptible makeup.

Thanks for the help!
Sounds like the first option after tailoring would be a great choice! I wouldn't go with trying to get a skirt to match the second option- I doubt J Crew is still using the exact same material after all of these years so no matter how hard you try, you likely won't be able to get an exact match which is essential. If none of those work, a suit from Banana Republic, J Crew, Macy's/Dillards (department stores are more hit and miss, but a classic suit by Calvin Klein is reliable). For tops, I personally wore a boatneck shell from Loft (button downs always look weird on me too). I'm not positive if a wool sweater would work, I'm sure others could weigh in better. I mostly replied to comment on age- I'm also an older applicant and wore my hair half up/half down and thought that worked well so I wasn't messing with it but also had the youth effect. Your age may very well be a benefit to the schools you interview at (it was for me! everyone liked my life experiences and maturity), so I wouldn't stress too much over that! :)

Anyone have any suggestions for where to find a shirt to wear with a navy suit? Gaping is a serious issue with the traditional button-up shirt route :/ I was hoping to find something with a bit of a sleeve so I don't have to dry clean the suit quite as often, but all I've found so far that has an appropriate neckline are sleeveless shells.
This time of year is really tricky to get tops IMO! I had bought a top in late summer that was passable but felt borderline sheer, then went shopping the night before an interview in October to pass the time and changed to it at the last minute because I FINALLY was able to find what I was looking for- bit of a sleeve, boatneck neckline, opaque material. So if possible, you might want to wait a bit. FWIW, I've been shopping for professional clothes now that I'm about to start med school, and I've had luck at Loft, Banana Republic, and Van Heusen (VH outlet stores carry women's clothing and they're super cheap and great for basic shells!).

I'm sure this questions has been addressed earlier in this thread, so I'm sorry for being lazy. What's the rule of the thumb for hair? Mine is waist-length. Would it be unprofessional to leave it down? I'm guessing I should probably just put it in a chignon.

Two words: boatneck shell.

Sounds like the first option after tailoring would be a great choice! I wouldn't go with trying to get a skirt to match the second option- I doubt J Crew is still using the exact same material after all of these years so no matter how hard you try, you likely won't be able to get an exact match which is essential. If none of those work, a suit from Banana Republic, J Crew, Macy's/Dillards (department stores are more hit and miss, but a classic suit by Calvin Klein is reliable). For tops, I personally wore a boatneck shell from Loft (button downs always look weird on me too). I'm not positive if a wool sweater would work, I'm sure others could weigh in better. I mostly replied to comment on age- I'm also an older applicant and wore my hair half up/half down and thought that worked well so I wasn't messing with it but also had the youth effect. Your age may very well be a benefit to the schools you interview at (it was for me! everyone liked my life experiences and maturity), so I wouldn't stress too much over that! :)

This time of year is really tricky to get tops IMO! I had bought a top in late summer that was passable but felt borderline sheer, then went shopping the night before an interview in October to pass the time and changed to it at the last minute because I FINALLY was able to find what I was looking for- bit of a sleeve, boatneck neckline, opaque material. So if possible, you might want to wait a bit. FWIW, I've been shopping for professional clothes now that I'm about to start med school, and I've had luck at Loft, Banana Republic, and Van Heusen (VH outlet stores carry women's clothing and they're super cheap and great for basic shells!).
No sweaters.

The boatneck shell is the best choice, but if you cant do that (I personally look like a linebacker with a boatneck + suitjacket), you can take a button up blouse that FITS (gaping is ok, but the blouse shouldn't pull around the bust or in the armpits--that means it's too small) and just sew up between the buttons. Just sew straight up the middle right up to the button right above the bust so that you can pull it over your head but it wont gape. Obviously you can't unbutton it anymore, but it solves all problems with gaping and it will make the shirt lie a lot smoother under a suit.

I'm sure this questions has been addressed earlier in this thread, so I'm sorry for being lazy. What's the rule of the thumb for hair? Mine is waist-length. Would it be unprofessional to leave it down? I'm guessing I should probably just put it in a chignon.

I was planning to braid my long hair, similar to this:

186634-228x342-side-fishtail-braid.jpg

However, I saw that someone on the previous page said that braids were too trendy (???). My issue with putting my hair in any kind of bun is that it is very thick and absolutely will not stay in position over the course of an interview day (even with hairspray). I thought a braid would be a good compromise because my hair would be less messy, but I can easily redo it if it comes out.

A friend and I both had some questions with regards to attire:

1) Is it better to wear a skirt suit or are pants ok?
2) Can we wear very nice flats with a skirt suit? Or is that ok with a pants suit, but not a skirt suit? I'm 5'7" so I don't need height and I don't enjoy walking in heels. If this is impossible, can someone suggest the best/most comfortable heels?
3) Can someone wear loafers with a pants suit? I'm not a loafer person, so I am asking for a friend.
4) Necklaces - I generally wear a pearl choker (I think it's 15"). I am thinking of layering it with a very slim necklace that has a 1/4" compass charm. It's very meaningful to me and I would like to be able to wear it, but can nix it if it's too much.

A friend and I both had some questions with regards to attire:

1) Is it better to wear a skirt suit or are pants ok?
2) Can we wear very nice flats with a skirt suit? Or is that ok with a pants suit, but not a skirt suit? I'm 5'7" so I don't need height and I don't enjoy walking in heels. If this is impossible, can someone suggest the best/most comfortable heels?
3) Can someone wear loafers with a pants suit? I'm not a loafer person, so I am asking for a friend.
4) Necklaces - I generally wear a pearl choker (I think it's 15"). I am thinking of layering it with a very slim necklace that has a 1/4" compass charm. It's very meaningful to me and I would like to be able to wear it, but can nix it if it's too much.
Have you read this entire thread? Most of those questions are covered.

Have you read this entire thread? Most of those questions are covered.

Thanks! I actually read the thread a few weeks ago and clearly must have forgotten the answers, so I'll use the search bar!!

Thanks! I actually read the thread a few weeks ago and clearly must have forgotten the answers, so I'll use the search bar!!
Really just read the thread from start to finish. Might take 10-15 minutes total, but it's full of great info. Also lots of good info in the prior 3 threads on this subject.

Really just read the thread from start to finish. Might take 10-15 minutes total, but it's full of great info. Also lots of good info in the prior 3 threads on this subject.

Thanks! I'll save this for when I'm unable to concentrate on my essays.

I will also take a picture of the necklace as I feel like that might be impossible to answer without an example. Thanks again!

While I'm here, anyone know how to go about finding a tailor/seamstress? I bought my suit early because I need one for something else this summer, but I'm having a really hard time finding someone to do some alterations. I've come across some folks who do minor stuff (i.e. just hemming) or formalwear/bridal alterations, but nobody so far who is willing to work on a women's suit jacket :unsure:
I've had good luck with Nordstrom. They will tailor things for you even if you didn't buy it there. If you have their card they also give you a certain amount of alteration credits every year.

Thinking of buying this suit...it's dark grey, but there's a slight plaid pattern to it.

Is this ok, or should I go with a non patterned suit that's more conservative?

No experience at all with medical school interviews, but I love this suit. I'd wear it to court (and I practice in a very conservative jurisdiction). It seems from this thread, however, that medical school admissions committees are more conservative than my local judges, so I defer to the advice of those more experienced than I.

Edited to add caveat: I'd wear it to court as a skirt suit. I work in a very conservative jurisdiction in which lady lawyers are expected by many judges to wear skirts.

I was planning to braid my long hair, similar to this:

186634-228x342-side-fishtail-braid.jpg

However, I saw that someone on the previous page said that braids were too trendy (???). My issue with putting my hair in any kind of bun is that it is very thick and absolutely will not stay in position over the course of an interview day (even with hairspray). I thought a braid would be a good compromise because my hair would be less messy, but I can easily redo it if it comes out.

I can't speak to interviewer opinions on braids in general, but I would avoid the type of braid you pictured (which is a very fashion-y fishtail braid). I can definitely see that coming across as "too trendy", and in my experience they don't hold up well all day (but that may just be with my thick, slippery hair). If you're going to braid it, I'd stick to something more simple.

I can't speak to interviewer opinions on braids in general, but I would avoid the type of braid you pictured (which is a very fashion-y fishtail braid). I can definitely see that coming across as "too trendy", and in my experience they don't hold up well all day (but that may just be with my thick, slippery hair). If you're going to braid it, I'd stick to something more simple.

Thanks for your opinion! :) The way I do it looks more like a regular braid (thicker strands). I also have rather thick, slippery hair too -- what were you planning on doing?

Some cleavage doesn't hurt. It shows confidence and that you're a strong independent woman.

Thanks for your opinion! :) The way I do it looks more like a regular braid (thicker strands). I also have rather thick, slippery hair too -- what were you planning on doing?

A thicker stranded fishtail is probably more reasonable - those do tend to look more like standard braids. And of course someone wiser than me may have better advice :) As far as my own hair, still undecided! My hair is pretty long but not ridiculously long (mid back ish? and I might get a bit cut off before interviews) so I can still get it into a nice bun, which is probably my most conservative option. otherwise I'm a fan of the half-up if I'm having a good hair day and want to show it off but keep it out of my face. If someone wiser chimes in with the ok for braids, I do like a good french braid (though my hair tends not to cooperate with a basic braid alone, as the front pieces tend to slip out and annoy me).

Some cleavage doesn't hurt. It shows confidence and that you're a strong independent woman.
Ummm....that would be a gigantic NO for a med school interview!

I have very thick, long black hair. Hair is down to my hips. For interviews, I curled it into soft waves and clipped it back in a half-up/half-down style to keep out of my face. Seemed to worked fine at all of the schools I interviewed.

This is referring to the OP, which I think all in all is very helpful, but I disagree that clear nail polish is necessary for interviews (if you never normally wear nail polish). That seems way too extra; no one will look at or notice your hands.

I've got a braid question, too. I usually wear my hair in microbraids, sort of like this:

https://i1.wp.com/therighthairstyle...ro-braids-with-curls.jpg?resize=500,500&ssl=1

But, I wonder if my regular hair (straightened, length about halfway between chin and shoulders) would be more appropriate for interviews. I like my braids because they're super low-maintenance (like, I literally spend less than 10 seconds a day on my hair), whereas flat-ironing & styling my regular hair takes a while. I was wearing my regular hair in my secondary photo pics (although it was cut shorter than it is now), so I wonder if it might be better in some way to wear it that way to interviews as well. Also, the micros are kind of "ethnic," so if we're meant to be conservative, perhaps that would not be the way to go. Opinions?

I did read the first page, but haven't read the rest so forgive me if this has been covered. What to do for pregnancy? If I am lucky enough to interview, I'll likely look pregnant. I'm due mid-November and get pretty big usually. Is a maternity suit okay? Should I opt for a dress? I'm worried I'll look frumpy or casual either way. Will it be held against me that I'm pregnant at interview time?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I did read the first page, but haven't read the rest so forgive me if this has been covered. What to do for pregnancy? If I am lucky enough to interview, I'll likely look pregnant. I'm due mid-November and get pretty big usually. Is a maternity suit okay? Should I opt for a dress? I'm worried I'll look frumpy or casual either way. Will it be held against me that I'm pregnant at interview time?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It hasn't been discussed in this thread that I have seen, but I think I've read other threads on this topic. My guess would be that you get a little slack on attire if you're obviously pregnant. I'm assuming you won't want to wear heels (I personally couldn't wear heels, because my ankles were obscenely swollen for the duration of all three of my pregnancies), so I'd personally go with maternity trousers and flats. I got an amazing pair of maternity suit pants from Motherhood that were so comfortable I kind of wish I were pregnant again so I could still wear them. They were very perfectly professional in appearance and didn't roll down at the waist. I generally wore my regular suit jackets and left them unbuttoned while pregnant, as I didn't like how maternity jackets were cut. Or I would go one size up and do one-button jackets that would accommodate the belly.