This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did read the first page, but haven't read the rest so forgive me if this has been covered. What to do for pregnancy? If I am lucky enough to interview, I'll likely look pregnant. I'm due mid-November and get pretty big usually. Is a maternity suit okay? Should I opt for a dress? I'm worried I'll look frumpy or casual either way. Will it be held against me that I'm pregnant at interview time?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The advice I've seen (I think from @DokterMom) is that a maternity suit would be great if you can afford it, but a sheath dress with a matching blazer would also be fine. Adcoms are likely to give you some slack for not buying wanting to buy a full on suit that won't fit in a few months, but look for something conservative and business formal in navy or charcoal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Applause for the moms out there! Y'all are my heroes! I have no idea how you do it.

Reactions: 3 users
Do you think 3.5 inch heels are too high? I'm comfortable walking in heels and I'm not very tall. (Also not a boy as my username suggests, not that there is anything wrong with boys in heels!)

3.5 inch heels should be fine unless you wear a really small shoe size, in which case the proportions would make them look higher. But 3.5" is fine.

I was planning to braid my long hair, similar to this:

However, I saw that someone on the previous page said that braids were too trendy (???). My issue with putting my hair in any kind of bun is that it is very thick and absolutely will not stay in position over the course of an interview day (even with hairspray). I thought a braid would be a good compromise because my hair would be less messy, but I can easily redo it if it comes out.

A fishtail or French braid are both fine, as are many other styles. The idea is for your hair to be out of your face and 'maintenance free' for the day. You want to look like the kind of woman who doesn't have to fuss with her hair and make-up multiple times a day. If you're not sure if your hair will stay neat in a braid all day, try it! You've got weeks to practice and modify.

Thinking of buying this suit...it's dark grey, but there's a slight plaid pattern to it.

Is this ok, or should I go with a non patterned suit that's more conservative?

The plaid is subtle, so fine. But also not your very best choice.

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying blouses to wear with a navy suit that I already own.

What are your thoughts on the following blouse:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/calvin-klein-pleated-v-neck-shell?ID=3340591

Also, if anyone has any suggestion on where to find plain boatneck blouses, please share! (preferably less than $100)

That's a lovely shell and very much the right type of blouse. But FYI, you can find zillions of them on Amazon for less than half the Macy's price... Sleeveless is fine; cap sleeve is even better. Don't do 'cold shoulder' or cut in to where your bra straps would show if you remove your blazer.

Some cleavage doesn't hurt. It shows confidence and that you're a strong independent woman.

There's one man's point of view. But I suspect this particular one's more interested in seeing your cleavage than in seeing you succeed... :cool:

I've got a braid question, too. I usually wear my hair in microbraids, sort of like this:

https://i1.wp.com/therighthairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/19-side-swept-micro-braids-with-curls.jpg?resize=500,500&ssl=1

But, I wonder if my regular hair (straightened, length about halfway between chin and shoulders) would be more appropriate for interviews. I like my braids because they're super low-maintenance (like, I literally spend less than 10 seconds a day on my hair), whereas flat-ironing & styling my regular hair takes a while. I was wearing my regular hair in my secondary photo pics (although it was cut shorter than it is now), so I wonder if it might be better in some way to wear it that way to interviews as well. Also, the micros are kind of "ethnic," so if we're meant to be conservative, perhaps that would not be the way to go. Opinions?

It you're African American, microbraids would be very appropriate -- off the face, low-maintenance, etc. If you're white, they would look "ethnic" and like you're trying to make some sort of a statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
These threads have been very helpful to me in the past. I was on an extreme budget when applying to both medical school and residency and I ended up buying a liz claiborne suit from jcpenney x2 (gained some weight). That suit worked out incredibly well for me both times. Now, I am applying to fellowship and have tried on many more suits this past month from all the traditional places like banana republic, ann taylor, etc. and I still think my previous Liz claiborne suit was an absolute steal (the pieces are almost always on sale for 20-40ish dollars). The jacket is lined and much nicer than you would expect for the price point (I was not impressed by some of the other typical brands you see at Macy's, Dillards like Kasper - thought the fabric on some of them looked very cheap/polyester-ish). Just wanted to add some links for anyone shopping for a budget suit this interview season - don't forget to check jcpenney. Free returns to store.

Liz Claiborne 1 Button Suit Jacket 1
Liz Claiborne® Belted Pencil Skirt - JCPenney
Liz Claiborne Audra Straight-Leg Pants

Reactions: 2 users
These threads have been very helpful to me in the past. I was on an extreme budget when applying to both medical school and residency and I ended up buying a liz claiborne suit from jcpenney x2 (gained some weight). That suit worked out incredibly well for me both times. Now, I am applying to fellowship and have tried on many more suits this past month from all the traditional places like banana republic, ann taylor, etc. and I still think my previous Liz claiborne suit was an absolute steal (the pieces are almost always on sale for 20-40ish dollars). The jacket is lined and much nicer than you would expect for the price point (I was not impressed by some of the other typical brands you see at Macy's, Dillards like Kasper - thought the fabric on some of them looked very cheap/polyester-ish). Just wanted to add some links for anyone shopping for a budget suit this interview season - don't forget to check jcpenney. Free returns to store.

Liz Claiborne 1 Button Suit Jacket 1
Liz Claiborne® Belted Pencil Skirt - JCPenney
Liz Claiborne Audra Straight-Leg Pants

Is it OK if our jackets are a little baggier like the one on the model? I keep thinking I need to get a new suit because I'm nervous mine won't be able to be taken in, but it looks like the jacket in that top photo, so maybe I'm worried for no reason. (My chest is smaller than the size I need for my shoulders).

Following the thread. Thank you so much for the help! I was nervous thinking about what I need to wear for my interview.

However... I think my grey suit is on the lighter side. Is that really viewed as too casual?

Question for those of us with curves: are pants that subtly narrow towards the leg opening acceptable?

I feel like pants that fit through my rear end and have a straight leg tend to look like clown pants on me towards the leg opening - I feel like I'm going to drown in all the extra fabric!

Question for those of us with curves: are pants that subtly narrow towards the leg opening acceptable?

I feel like pants that fit through my rear end and have a straight leg tend to look like clown pants on me towards the leg opening - I feel like I'm going to drown in all the extra fabric!
Tapered pant legs (however slightly) seem to be frowned upon. I would suggest trying a couple different styles of straight leg suits. I found that some made me look like a clown and some were OK. (I went with Ann Taylor) In general, suit pants are going to feel ridiculously wide, just because all the other pants we wear are so much tighter cut. When you feel silly, just trust that you do actually look professional lol.

Also, HEELS. I found that if the pants are hemmed correctly, wearing heels turns "frumpy, bell bottom looking, wearing-my-mother's-suit" into "sleek and professional with incredibly long legs". Make sure your hem hits about 1/2" to an 1" above the ground WITH the heels (they will drag on the ground barefoot). That will give you the silhouette you want so try wearing your interview heels when you try on suits. And good luck! Finding well fitting suits for curvy women should be a professional job lol.

EDIT: Also a good crease. That will keep the axis of the pant front-to-back instead of side-to-side which makes it look wider. Always fold your trousers properly!

A fishtail or French braid are both fine, as are many other styles. The idea is for your hair to be out of your face and 'maintenance free' for the day. You want to look like the kind of woman who doesn't have to fuss with her hair and make-up multiple times a day. If you're not sure if your hair will stay neat in a braid all day, try it! You've got weeks to practice and modify.

Thanks so much! It's always great to hear back from those who are more experienced :)

Tapered pant legs (however slightly) seem to be frowned upon. I would suggest trying a couple different styles of straight leg suits. I found that some made me look like a clown and some were OK. (I went with Ann Taylor) In general, suit pants are going to feel ridiculously wide, just because all the other pants we wear are so much tighter cut. When you feel silly, just trust that you do actually look professional lol.

Also, HEELS. I found that if the pants are hemmed correctly, wearing heels turns "frumpy, bell bottom looking, wearing-my-mother's-suit" into "sleek and professional with incredibly long legs". Make sure your hem hits about 1/2" to an 1" above the ground WITH the heels (they will drag on the ground barefoot). That will give you the silhouette you want so try wearing your interview heels when you try on suits. And good luck! Finding well fitting suits for curvy women should be a professional job lol.

Suit styles do change with the times... (NBA draft class of 2003 vs. 2017 :D)

Zcar9-t7s2S01I9mWJgf_Qe_shzJ-KPCegKqj6XJzJQ.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Suit styles do change with the times... (NBA draft class of 2003 vs. 2017 :D)

Zcar9-t7s2S01I9mWJgf_Qe_shzJ-KPCegKqj6XJzJQ.jpg

Haha thats true! But just think, if that's what the suits looked like in 2003, what would they have looked like when your adcom/interviewer was becoming a suit wearing professional...? That's what they'll be looking for!
(Also, having read the men's page, I'm sure gyngyn would have some scathing comments for those men's suits as well. A midnight tuxedo jacket with suit pants! Herringbone double breasted jacket! Bright red suit! What is the world coming to. :p)

EDIT: Also a good crease. That will keep the axis of the pant front-to-back instead of side-to-side which makes it look wider. Always fold your trousers properly!
Unfortunately, I'm well below average height as well as curvy - no amount of (appropriate height) heel will give me a long-legged appearance! I'll be lucky if I manage to look only slightly below average in height!

Unfortunately, I'm well below average height as well as curvy - no amount of (appropriate height) heel will give me a long-legged appearance! I'll be lucky if I manage to look only slightly below average in height!

Try a dress suit -- sheath dress and matching jacket. Something like the first suit or the second one in a darker color. Very forgiving on less-than-perfect figures, and also less distracting on Sofia Vergara-esque curves.

Sheath_Navy_wJacket.jpg
images

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I have a purse I'd like to use for my interviews. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it-- I'll buy a new one if I really have to, but obviously would rather not if I already have something that works.

It is medium-size; not too big and not too small, so that I feel I could comfortably carry it all day and fit all of the day's necessities.

It is black leather, and nothing too flashy. It has a long strap (it hits from about my hip to mid-thigh).

IMG_5188.jpg IMG_5189.jpg

Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you for all of the awesome tips already in this thread :)

Try a dress suit -- sheath dress and matching jacket. Something like the first suit or the second one in a darker color. Very forgiving on less-than-perfect figures, and also less distracting on Sofia Vergara-esque curves.

Sheath_Navy_wJacket.jpg
images
Would it be a terrible sin to go with slacks and a jacket? Partially because I know I'll be a bit uncomfortable in a dress and partially because I have Reynaud's that I suspect will flare up in any cool environments if I'm wearing a dress.

Hi everyone! I have a purse I'd like to use for my interviews. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it-- I'll buy a new one if I really have to, but obviously would rather not if I already have something that works.

It is medium-size; not too big and not too small, so that I feel I could comfortably carry it all day and fit all of the day's necessities.

It is black leather, and nothing too flashy. It has a long strap (it hits from about my hip to mid-thigh).

View attachment 222027 View attachment 222028

Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you for all of the awesome tips already in this thread :)

I think it works! Also, just an FYI for my first interview I didn't bring a purse. I only had my phone and keys, which I left in a room the entire time. Moving forward I think I'll bring a business portfolio. I imagine most interviews will have a place to put your stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would it be a terrible sin to go with slacks and a jacket? Partially because I know I'll be a bit uncomfortable in a dress and partially because I have Reynaud's that I suspect will flare up in any cool environments if I'm wearing a dress.

A pants suit - matching slacks and a jacket would be just fine. You'd just mentioned 'short and curvy' and I was thinking professional but flattering. If you can find a nice well-fitting pants suit, that would also be very appropriate.

I think it works! Also, just an FYI for my first interview I didn't bring a purse. I only had my phone and keys, which I left in a room the entire time. Moving forward I think I'll bring a business portfolio. I imagine most interviews will have a place to put your stuff.

That purse is very appropriate. Not so large that an Ad Com would worry about "What's she got in there?!" and plain and simple in design. Tasteful. As @fourandtwo notes, you don't actually need to bring a purse unless you feel uncomfortable without your 'stuff'. Consider juggling papers, coffee, handshakes, etc. and you might opt against one.

T
The color is fine.
The "v" is a bit deep.
Do they have a bateau neckline in the same color?
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm a bustier than the model so it shows no cleavage on me, not even a hint of it. I was mainly concerned about the color and a couple of my friends said it's "too bright" and "too colorful" for med school interviews. Very much appreciate you telling me it's okay :D

Any recommendations for where to find bateau neck shells? I thought button ups were the only way, but I'm having the button gapping issue and only one of the few I bought is fully opaque. :( I'm planning to wear a navy skirt suit if that matters.

Any recommendations for where to find bateau neck shells? I thought button ups were the only way, but I'm having the button gapping issue and only one of the few I bought is fully opaque. :( I'm planning to wear a navy skirt suit if that matters.
Ann Taylor and Banana Republic were my go-tos. You could also try Macy's and Nordstrom's but they very wildly depending on season for some reason. Also, if gaping is the only issue you can always sew them shut!

These look fine as long as the material is the same.

Certainly appropriate - And I've got to appreciate the 'rent it' option.

@gyngyn and @Catalystik and @Winged Scapula -- Would you all agree that maternity wear is one time when a plain dress and simple coordinating but non-matching jacket would be perfectly acceptable? I guess I'm not loving how a skirt and different-color top break mid-bulge.

@gyngyn and @Catalystik and @Winged Scapula -- Would you all agree that maternity wear is one time when a plain dress and simple coordinating but non-matching jacket would be perfectly acceptable? I guess I'm not loving how a skirt and different-color top break mid-bulge.
I appreciate the effort and I give pregnant applicants broad latitude in their interview dress.

Reactions: 3 users

I agree - the suit with the white blouse peeking out looks like a fat man wearing a too small suit. But pregnant applicants get a lot more leeway, IMHO.

There are some suits on that site which are less formal (tie fronts) but may not give the above impression.

My sense is that a dress with a non matching jacket would be fine IF the OP has some fashion sensibility. If the cut, fabric and fit on her are off, I'd rather see a nice simply cut dress that fits well worn alone rather than a dress with a jacket that looks "thrown on".

Last edited:

I had the same concern with this look. I don't have a ton of fashion sense, but I was thinking a dress would look way better. I'm going to try some things over the next few weeks. If I can figure out how to post a photo, I'll come here for the consult.

I had the best luck with simple knits when pregnant. You want a soft drape that 'skims' and does not look 'stretched tight'. Many of the dresses I'm seeing now have ruching on the sides, which IMO makes almost any dress look too tight. (See the first photo -- It would be a great look if it did not have the ruching) I'd definitely avoid that. I think a long open jacket draws attention away from your midsection. The jacket in the second photo is not particularly professional, but you get the idea. Either of the bottom two dresses below would work well with a coordinating jacket if not too tight. If you've got a nice second-hand shop near you, go hunting!
89ecd5b899c1c1eb9282f5865a822d12--maternity-work-dresses-pregnant-dresses.jpg

ccea98618762b8c3bd03516b3c55ebc2.jpg

tessa_34_black_1.jpg
puff3.jpg

I had the best luck with simple knits when pregnant. You want a soft drape that 'skims' and does not look 'stretched tight'. Many of the dresses I'm seeing now have ruching on the sides, which IMO makes almost any dress look too tight. (See the first photo -- It would be a great look if it did not have the ruching) I'd definitely avoid that. I think a long open jacket draws attention away from your midsection. The jacket in the second photo is not particularly professional, but you get the idea. Either of the bottom two dresses below would work well with a coordinating jacket if not too tight. If you've got a nice second-hand shop near you, go hunting!
89ecd5b899c1c1eb9282f5865a822d12--maternity-work-dresses-pregnant-dresses.jpg

ccea98618762b8c3bd03516b3c55ebc2.jpg

tessa_34_black_1.jpg
puff3.jpg
That is really helpful. It gives me an idea of how far I can deviate from the traditional expectation of a suit with two matching pieces.

Oh okay, thanks! What size should I go for?
Something that isn't large enough to take your gear to the beach! :p Something just large enough to hold a few essentials...your wallet, your phone, your keys, maybe some lipstick and a hair bush. I would keep the length at maybe under 10". Smaller is better.

Something that isn't large enough to take your gear to the beach! :p Something just large enough to hold a few essentials...your wallet, your phone, your keys, maybe some lipstick and a hair bush. I would keep the length at maybe under 10". Smaller is better.

I have a nice cross body purse that fits that description, but I'm confused about what to do with my heels if I decide to change into flats for a tour. Would it be okay if I just hold them in my hand, or should I look for a slightly larger bag?

I have a nice cross body purse that fits that description, but I'm confused about what to do with my heels if I decide to change into flats for a tour. Would it be okay if I just hold them in my hand, or should I look for a slightly larger bag?
Ideally you should try to find a pair of low heels that you can comfortably walk in for the tour.

Oh okay! I know I heard that some people put a copy of their resume and stuff in their bags. I don't need a bag that would need to fit papers in or anything?

Oh okay! I know I heard that some people put a copy of their resume and stuff in their bags. I don't need a bag that would need to fit papers in or anything?
Why would you need your resume...and other papers stuff? It is not show and tell.

Why would you need your resume...and other papers stuff? It is not show and tell.
That makes sense. Thanks! I read another forum with someone mentioning that what they planned to have in their bag when they brought it to their interview, but definitely should've checked other resources before thinking so.

I wasn't going to bring a resume, but I did consider using a bag large enough to fit a folder, which I believe many schools hand out at interviews. Maybe like 13"X10" or so? I don't have a handbag quite that big now, and I haven't gone looking for one yet. I wonder if it would be too big for me - I'm 5'9" (6' in heels), so I generally carry a fairly substantial bag anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I wasn't going to bring a resume, but I did consider using a bag large enough to fit a folder, which I believe many schools hand out at interviews. Maybe like 13"X10" or so? I don't have a handbag quite that big now, and I haven't gone looking for one yet. I wonder if it would be too big for me - I'm 5'9" (6' in heels), so I generally carry a fairly substantial bag anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm 5'1" and carried a bag that size to my interviews. As long as you get one that is structured, it should be fine!

I have a really cute wallet/purse, but it is chanel and has the logo all over it. I have another that is the same size and would work well, but it is made of cork. Would that look odd? I have found it is really difficult, if not impossible, to find a bag/wallet in the size I want in a fabric that I like. I think the wallet would work perfectly as it has everything I need in an emergency and is easy to carry around.

I have a really cute wallet/purse, but it is chanel and has the logo all over it. I have another that is the same size and would work well, but it is made of cork. Would that look odd? I have found it is really difficult, if not impossible, to find a bag/wallet in the size I want in a fabric that I like. I think the wallet would work perfectly as it has everything I need in an emergency and is easy to carry around.

Wallet as in it fits in your pocket or wallet as in you'd hold it as a clutch? If the latter, that's not ideal, nor is the cork. You really want to go for a solid neutral. I got the bag below for my interviews, if it helps

Amazon product

Ideally you should try to find a pair of low heels that you can comfortably walk in for the tour.

Hmm, that's too bad. I have a nice pair of heels that are really comfortable for walking, but I know that generally heels will hurt for me after standing in them for too long so I think I would do better with flats! The only other black bag I have is a nice tote that I take on interviews – but I think it's considered too large?

41u2ndIs5pL._SY445_.jpg

Wallet as in it fits in your pocket or wallet as in you'd hold it as a clutch? If the latter, that's not ideal, nor is the cork. You really want to go for a solid neutral. I got the bag below for my interviews, if it helps

Amazon product

It's a clutch with a strap so it fits on my shoulder like a purse. I thought the cork would not be ideal, although I could argue it's "neutral" (as in it matches with just about everything). It's just not neutral in the way that I need it to be. What I love about it is that I can grab it and put it into *another* bag, so I can basically purchase anything and put it into that. I'll look into the bag you posted - thanks!

Last edited:
Hmm, that's too bad. I have a nice pair of heels that are really comfortable for walking, but I know that generally heels will hurt for me after standing in them for too long so I think I would do better with flats! The only other black bag I have is a nice tote that I take on interviews – but I think it's considered too large?

41u2ndIs5pL._SY445_.jpg
You are not going to be accepted or rejected because of the size of your bag or whether or not you change out from heels to flats.

It is generally recommended to go with a smaller bag because in years past (not quite so much now) bags became ridiculously large. They are (thankfully) trending smaller now since the "beach bag sized purses" women carried a few years ago. My personal rule of thumb to use is if it is large enough to tote your stuff to the beach, it is too large.

I'm the same height, and in heels I sometimes feel a little self-conscious if I'm a lot taller than a female (or male!) interviewer/professor/etc. Just an issue I have to get over, I guess.

I also got a larger bag (briefcase size, structured leather) but I'm not sure if I'll bring it. It does look tall/long, but it's thin and very structured.. I've heard conflicting reports on if it's good to have something to fit a folder, papers, makeup/feminine supplies or if it's better to go in empty-handed.

Last edited:
This is it. I guess it might be too big. But maybe I don't care if it's exactly the 'right' size and maybe they won't either? It's like we have to be neurotic to get to the point of not *looking* neurotic.. haha :rolleyes:
Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 11.05.58 PM.png

I'm the same height, and in heels I sometimes feel a little self-conscious if I'm insanely taller than a female (or male!) interviewer/professor/etc. Just an issue I have to get over, I guess.

I also got a larger bag (briefcase size, structured leather) but I'm not sure if I'll bring it. It does look tall/long, but it's thin and very structured.. I've heard conflicting reports on if it's good to have something to fit a folder, papers, makeup/feminine supplies or if it's better to go in empty-handed.

I have a bag very similar to this one (also black leather and pretty thin, and I took the keychain off) that I plan on bringing! I personally keep a notebook with all of my application information that won't fit in a smaller bag, so that narrows down my choices significantly... but I don't plan on stuffing this one, just adding the rest of the essentials!

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...r=Black#fn=sp=1&spc=233&ruleId=78|BS&slotId=3

This is it. I guess it might be too big. But maybe I don't care if it's exactly the 'right' size and maybe they won't either? It's like we have to be neurotic to get to the point of not *looking* neurotic.. haha :rolleyes:View attachment 222253

I have a bag very similar to this one (also black leather and pretty thin, and I took the keychain off) that I plan on bringing! I personally keep a notebook with all of my application information that won't fit in a smaller bag, so that narrows down my choices significantly... but I don't plan on stuffing this one, just adding the rest of the essentials!

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/michael-michael-kors-top-zip-large-tote?ID=4704950&CategoryID=58155&swatchColor=Black#fn=sp=1&spc=233&ruleId=78|BS&slotId=3

As I said earlier, the size of your purse/tote is not going to get you accepted or rejected. BUT...smaller is better and more looks professional. You quite simply do not need to bring that much stuff with you. Your wallet, your phone, and maybe a few personal items is really all you need to have in your purse.