What do single women think of a male OB/GYN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diesel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering going into OB/GYN. I'm also single, and was wondering what women in general think of a male OB.

Members don't see this ad.

Excellent question!!! I am in the same boat and I also want to know!

think about it- you are in a profession that deals with all women, and mostly women work in it. how often do you see a male L&D nurse?

Members don't see this ad :)
most women will suspect you are a pervert.

females patients prefer a female to deal with gynecologic problems. men just can't relate and dont know where to put the speculum so that it doesnt pinch!! i personally, would never see a male gynecologist again. there's also the comfort factor of seeing a female ob/gyn, you can be fairly sure that theyre inspecting your sexual organs in a nonsexual manner...not to say that all male ob/gyns are perverts, but it crosses their mind every now and then. men think dirty thoughts 90+% of the day.

Hmmmm, some of these statements might be unfair. There are several women that are comfortable with male OB/GYNs. I think it depends on the woman's comfort level with their body, word of mouth and comfort level with their physician. I think male and female OB/GYNs can both do an excellent, gentle exam...and the flip side BOTH are capable of performing a most uncomfortable exam. I have worked with some excellent OB/GYNs over the years, and both sexes have been on either side of that coin. I have in all fairness run into some female docs who are very uncompassionate, rude and give ruff vag exams (I work L/D) and on the same note some have been just wonderful, it depends on the person. I use a large OB/GYN group and have had both of my children delivered by c-sect. one by a male OB and the other a female...BOTH gave exceptional, comptent care. I guess I don't choose a OB/GYN by their sex, but by their professionalism, bedside demenor and their excellance in practice...However I do have an inside scoop...I work with these guys and have for years, so I am a little biassed as I have been able to observe them with other patients before I was their patient.

To the OP...if OB is what you want and you have a passion for it...Go For It!!! You can be a good OB/GYN if you have your heart and mind into it, maintain a professional relationship with all of your patients and have good bedside manor. And for your marital status, well that is your personal business which shouldn't even come into play when you are at work. IMHO

I have to completely disagree with inregistered's comments. I just had my first child and have to say that in the end I would prefer a male as an OB/GYN. The group that delivered me is composed of 4 males and 5 females. Since they rotate call any one of them could delivered me, therefore, they want you to see every provider so you will be familiar with each one. I have always seen a female OB/GYN and thought I prefered it going into my pregnancy. After seeing all the providers in the end I hoped that one of the male physicians delivered me. I though that they were much more gentle and compassionate. Now that I look back it seems that the female providers took the attitude that "we are all females these are normal female problems that we all have to go trhough.. so deal with it." I also felt their exams were more rushed and less carefull. It seemed that the males were much more gentle in fear that they did not want to put me in any discomfort. Anyways this is just my expperience with male v female OB/GYN.

I don't think I would ever go to a male ob/gyn. I definitely wouldn't want a strange man inspecting me down there. It may be a juvenile sentiment, but I feel more comfortable with a woman because I know she's the same as I am... but I know alot of male gynecologists do very well, so if I were you I'd go for it... I don't think most women care as much as I do:)

Women today are refusing male doctors for the intimate exam known as gynecology for a variety of reasons, but the main reason is simply privacy. The exam is too damn invasive and too repulsive to allow any strange man to examine that part of the female body. It's just that simple. And with some women, not just any woman will do. More and more women are beginning to take the time of day and get referrances of a doctor of their choice (male, female) and go check them out. The M.D. can just as easily mean Mad Dog instead of Medical Doctor. That's just one reason my friend. There are millions more.

You should be aware by now that gynecology is getting a complete overhaul. It should. The way it is practiced today makes it not much more than Legalized Medical Rape!

so, janice, when i get my prostate checked is that legal medical butt rape???

my god, i better call my lawyer!

i can happily accept someone being comfortable with a care provider of the same sex. in fact, it is fine to choose a doctor that you are comfortable with for whatever reason. you need to be comfortable. but, male ob/gyns, just like female urologists are professionals. they do the job they are trained to do well, and with compassion, at least in the vast majority of cases. legalized medical rape? i just don't understand that statement.

Legalized medical rape ( LMR)? ER would probably pay you good bucks for this one...and then...oh...oh....it could turn into a case of legalized medical insemination...whereby doctor carter who gets carried away during a pelvic somehow manages to get the girl pregnant!..and then..oh..then..I know...she would be refused an abortion..because it is a doctors baby. Gosh darn those male doctors..they can get away with anything. Giving in to her pitiful plight the young woman returns to the E.R. to participate in the mass orgy std rally thing sponsored by the government...yeah!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Janice
The M.D. can just as easily mean Mad Dog instead of Medical Doctor. That's just one reason my friend. There are millions more...gynecology is getting a complete overhaul. The way it is practiced today makes it not much more than Legalized Medical Rape!

Please seek psychiatric help.

Originally posted by Teufelhunden
Please seek psychiatric help.

You got a problem accepting NO for an answer. There are plenty of doctors out there who are more than just a little confused. I need not use the F word. I'm sure it is well understood.

Needless to say pal, not all of you are lilly white. What the patient sees at first glance is a white lab coat, a stethescope and a male doctor? Maybe he's an imposter. It happens all the time in case you forgot.

Need I say more?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by neilc
so, janice, when i get my prostate checked is that legal medical butt rape???

my god, i better call my lawyer!

i can happily accept someone being comfortable with a care provider of the same sex. in fact, it is fine to choose a doctor that you are comfortable with for whatever reason. you need to be comfortable. but, male ob/gyns, just like female urologists are professionals. they do the job they are trained to do well, and with compassion, at least in the vast majority of cases. legalized medical rape? i just don't understand that statement.

That's because you can't share a woman's intimate feelings and/or emotions. Maybe I can break it down a bit to you.

It's an exam if the woman feels the need for it or has a problem in that area of the body, or it is pregnancy related. She choses to go to the doctor of her choice and takes the time to talk to him and let him know exactly where she is coming from. If he is too busy to listen and seems to be trying to hurry her into being examined, then she needs to let him know that he's not what she's looking for or needs. She needs to let him know in no uncertain tone, that she's looking for a doctor my friend, and not a high priced ***** prober. And by the way, any doctor that lies, intimidates, uses scare tactics or threats or any outlandish or subtle unethical ways to get a woman to submit to a pelvic in the interest of medicine and her health, is not a doctor anybody would want in the first place. If he does exams as a routine or if he refuses to honor her right to refuse any part of the exam such as the rectal or even the so-called bimanuel. That is what makes this unwanted and often unneeded exam medical rape.

To make this long story short, it's an examine when wanted and sought after. It's rape if it is not wanted or needed or any cohersion of any type was used.

Have I made anything clearer?

As for your prostate, it some female doctor, should you chose one, decide that she has a right of passage to your privates whether you want it or not, try to be kind enough to sue her. If you get violent, it might hurt your case in court.

Originally posted by irisheyes
Legalized medical rape ( LMR)? ER would probably pay you good bucks for this one...and then...oh...oh....it could turn into a case of legalized medical insemination...whereby doctor carter who gets carried away during a pelvic somehow manages to get the girl pregnant!..and then..oh..then..I know...she would be refused an abortion..because it is a doctors baby. Gosh darn those male doctors..they can get away with anything. Giving in to her pitiful plight the young woman returns to the E.R. to participate in the mass orgy std rally thing sponsored by the government...yeah!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You might be closer to the truth than you realize. There are some real horror stories on the net about this issue. Check aol or just type in Den of Iniquity, a website found on aol. For your entertainment be sure and check this link:

http://upalunmi.org/medschool/ob-gyn.html

http://upalumni.org/medschool/appendices/appendix-49.html

Two good links that take you directly to an article about a medical student (male) who sued the hospital because the hospital allowed women to choose who they wanted to do their dreaded gyn exams. (LMR) a good title. I'm sure women appreciate the court ruling in favor of the hospital due to women's privacy rights. Maybe the medical student needs to get psychiatric help.

Janice,

I went to one of the links you gave to find these "horror" stories. The first story began; "In 1914.....". Realizing this was nearly a hundred years ago (when cocaine was also being prescribed) I immediatly quit reading. Unfortunatly, there probably are a few isolated cases of rape today, but does that mean that women should not see male OB/GYNs? I believe women have the right to choose who they want to see and that probably slightly more of these women would prefer to see females MDs, but that doesn't mean men shouldn't become OB/GYNs.

Personally, I hope nobody takes your words seriously. I agree totally w/ teufelhunden in that you should seek psychiatric help.

Finally, Are you implying that men are the only ones that can rape women? I am sure there are alot more lesbians than rapists MDs out there.

Originally posted by cguidr4
Janice,

I went to one of the links you gave to find these "horror" stories. The first story began; "In 1914.....". Realizing this was nearly a hundred years ago (when cocaine was also being prescribed) I immediatly quit reading. Unfortunatly, there probably are a few isolated cases of rape today, but does that mean that women should not see male OB/GYNs? I believe women have the right to choose who they want to see and that probably slightly more of these women would prefer to see females MDs, but that doesn't mean men shouldn't become OB/GYNs.

Personally, I hope nobody takes your words seriously. I agree totally w/ teufelhunden in that you should seek psychiatric help.

Finally, Are you implying that men are the only ones that can rape women? I am sure there are alot more lesbians than rapists MDs out there.

Nobody has to take them seriouly, however, I am aware of some cases of abuse, assault, rape by male doctors that have gone on for years; even decades. It it a fact that I am not the only one who has heard of doctor rape. It's not my fault that male doctors are sometimes perverse and resent the fact that women are increasingly leaving their butts for a female doctor. Since you beleive that women have the right to see whoever they want, than you should not be offended and say I need psychiatric help, simply because I say very plainly what I feel.

You have a problem with something called "Time." What happened many years ago is unfortunately happening today. There's a simple name for it. What do you think, that all doctors are professional and can do no harm? That what happened then would or could not happen today? Your crazy.

Male medical students can become what the hell they want, but it is a known fact that they are not preferred today and won't be a few years from now. Oh yes, the future does look a little bleak for male medical students in the area of obgyn. If it was hopping and bopping for them, what's behind a male doctor graduating from school and setting up his gyn practice and a female student graduates a whole year later and starts her practice, and within six months she is booked up. The male student who graduated a year before she did, was having a problem getting women through the door.

Can you sympathize with the male student doctor who sued the hospital because the hospital allowed women patients to choose a female doctor for their gyn exams? Need I remind you he lost? His reason for the lawsuit was that gynecology offered him all he ever wanted in medicine. The question was asked, what is it about gynecology that interested him the most. Having the patient scoot to the edge of the table, or thrusting in two fingers and watching her squirm under his touch. Of course he did not answer.

I personally don't see a damn thing wrong with a male student considering another choice.

Male medical students can become what the hell they want, but it is a known fact that they are not preferred today and won't be a few years from now. Oh yes, the future does look a little bleak for male medical students in the area of obgyn.

Well, I'm a 3rd year male medical student who's interested in OBGYN, and although I agree there is an increased demand for female OBGYNs, I wouldn't go so far to say that our future is bleak.

Again, there are women who prefer female OBGYNs. However there are some who prefer a male. The majority of women, however, just want a doctor who they feel comfortable with; someone they feel they can freely commuincate with; someone who listens to their concerns and shows compassion, sensitivity and empathy; someone they trust....irrespective of gender.

Originally posted by diesel
I'm seriously considering going into OB/GYN. I'm also single, and was wondering what women in general think of a male OB.

As a female, I don't have a problem with males going into OB/GYN. As long as you are a competent doctor and treat your patients well then you will be successful. :)
I don't know what it will do with your prospective relationships. A guy's specialty in med is not a determining factor as to if I want to have a relationship with him, but I can see why some ladies would be intimidated or insecure about that being their guy's career choice.

Male medical students can become what the hell they want, but it is a known fact that they are not preferred today and won't be a few years from now. Oh yes, the future does look a little bleak for male medical students in the area of obgyn. If it was hopping and bopping for them, what's behind a male doctor graduating from school and setting up his gyn practice and a female student graduates a whole year later and starts her practice, and within six months she is booked up. The male student who graduated a year before she did, was having a problem getting women through the door.

Studies seem to disagree, Janice.

Obstetrics and Gynecology
From
Obstetrics and Gynecology
June 2002 (Volume 99, Number 6)

Do Women Prefer Female Obstetricians?
Howell EA, Gardiner B, Concato J
Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2002;99(6):1031-1035

Site: Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY, and Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
Objective: To investigate gender preferences for obstetricians in a hospital setting and to examine its relationship to patient satisfaction.

Methods: The authors interviewed 67 obstetric patients during their postpartum hospital stay. They asked open-ended questions about gender preference in the choice of a healthcare provider and satisfaction with healthcare.

Results: 58% of patients expressed no preference for physician gender, 34% preferred female physicians, whereas only 7% preferred male physicians. Interpersonal style, communication style, and technical expertise were considered by patients to be important characteristics. The majority of patients preferred a female nurse. Patient satisfaction scores were not associated with physician gender.

Conclusions: Physician gender is less important to patients than other physician characteristics are.

I'm a woman and to be honest, Janice's remarks are kinda scaring me here. I am with the guys on this one. I don't care who does my exam as long as they are professional and kind. I don't know if "kind" is the right word but I think we all probably know what that means (and I'm tired). Compassionate and sensitive maybe?

It's ok to disagree with each other but I guess I am alarmed by the attacks from poster named Janice. I say things sometimes, but then I listen to others and think: hmmm, maybe I am wrong about that. Janice, can you try and hear what others are saying? Maybe we can discuss things more reasonably and even learn from each other.

Doctors are professionals plain and simple. Yes, there are a few freaks out there as with any profession but smart people don't study medicine for years just to "cop a feel" . I remember partnering with male classmates during our first gyn exams on model patients during medical school. They were so afraid of hurting patients or making them feel uncomfortable in any way. Once they overcame this fear they were very compassionate, professionals examiners. Most doctors see naked people every day. It's part of the job. We don't give it a second thought. How can anyone go to an OB/GYN and not expect a pelvic exam? It's the standard of care. I have seen a male OB/GYN since the age of 18, as do my mother and grandmother (same doc). He is knowledgable, professional and well-respected in the community. During college I saw a female GYN once and was very appalled by her touchy-feely attitude. I don't want to talk for 20 min with a speculum in place, I want it done professionally and quickly. This is what I expect from any physician, male or female. Those who are squeamish about a male physician may lack respect for the medical profession as a whole and suffer a bit of paranoia. I can tell you that to every doc that I know, a pelvic exam is a not-enjoyed (by doc or patient) but necessary part of providing comprehensive medical care. So Janice.....get over it.

Originally posted by Paws
I'm a woman and to be honest, Janice's remarks are kinda scaring me here. I am with the guys on this one. I don't care who does my exam as long as they are professional and kind. I don't know if "kind" is the right word but I think we all probably know what that means (and I'm tired). Compassionate and sensitive maybe?

I agree with Paws. The person is more important than the gender. I have gone to female OB/GYNs (both straight and lesbian) and male. I don't have any strong preference, as long as I have a good physician. When I was pregnant, I chose a group of female physicians rather than a single-physician male practice...not because I was avoiding a male, but because I wanted to go to a group so that I wouldn't have to wait for my appointments because the Dr was delivering some else's baby.

I have found pretty much an even split among my friends of those who don't want a male OB/GYN, those that do, and those that don't care. There definitely is a future for men in the specialty.

What Janice describes is not a problem with male OB/GYNs overall, but a problem with creepy physicians. They'd be creepy no matter what specialty they went into (we have a ophthalomologist in my state that has fondled many female patients...not exactly the specialty that most-easily lends itself to this.)

I agree with smalltowngirl and drmom. I'm indifferent to the sex of my physician, as long as he or she does a good job. The most uncomfortable pelvic exam I ever had was with a female doc, and my best experience was with a male doc. In that case, the male doc made me feel much more at ease than the female. It is NOT a sexual exam, and the only reason I can think of that someone might see it as sexual is if they have a history of rape or abuse.

It is great to see that other qualities are more important than physician gender. The future of male OB/GYNs is not in jeopardy.:clap:

Originally posted by smalltowngirl
Doctors are professionals plain and simple. Yes, there are a few freaks out there as with any profession but smart people don't study medicine for years just to "cop a feel" . I remember partnering with male classmates during our first gyn exams on model patients during medical school. They were so afraid of hurting patients or making them feel uncomfortable in any way. Once they overcame this fear they were very compassionate, professionals examiners. Most doctors see naked people every day. It's part of the job. We don't give it a second thought. How can anyone go to an OB/GYN and not expect a pelvic exam? It's the standard of care. I have seen a male OB/GYN since the age of 18, as do my mother and grandmother (same doc). He is knowledgable, professional and well-respected in the community. During college I saw a female GYN once and was very appalled by her touchy-feely attitude. I don't want to talk for 20 min with a speculum in place, I want it done professionally and quickly. This is what I expect from any physician, male or female. Those who are squeamish about a male physician may lack respect for the medical profession as a whole and suffer a bit of paranoia. I can tell you that to every doc that I know, a pelvic exam is a not-enjoyed (by doc or patient) but necessary part of providing comprehensive medical care. So Janice.....get over it.

I don't have to get over the fact that I'm in charge and always was. And as for going to an OB/GYN and not expecting a pelvic? Some GYN doctors combine that with a family practice. The patient may not be going for a gyn exam, but some other reason. They may be getting a physical that does not include a gyn exam. A gyn exam is not part of every woman's medical care. It is part of yours.

If I were a patient in the hospital for a gyn problem, only my private doctor who put me in the hospital would be allowed to do a pelvic exam. Not the students, intern or resident. Another thing, there are no hospital policies about women being examined in that fashion ( as some male doctors want you to believe) except the policies I make about my body.

To make a long story short, what the doctor wants to do, and what I'm going to let him/her do is two different things.

Get over what? Telling some doc to keep his hands off my privates?

Originally posted by kcrd
I agree with smalltowngirl and drmom. I'm indifferent to the sex of my physician, as long as he or she does a good job. The most uncomfortable pelvic exam I ever had was with a female doc, and my best experience was with a male doc. In that case, the male doc made me feel much more at ease than the female. It is NOT a sexual exam, and the only reason I can think of that someone might see it as sexual is if they have a history of rape or abuse.

How the hell can you not see it as sexual when it involves a sexual part of the body? I don't have to have a history of assault or rape to know that the exam involves a sexual part of the body.

Originally posted by Paws

It's ok to disagree with each other but I guess I am alarmed by the attacks from poster named Janice. I say things sometimes, but then I listen to others and think: hmmm, maybe I am wrong about that. Janice, can you try and hear what others are saying? Maybe we can discuss things more reasonably and even learn from each other.

That's what being knowledgeable is all about. Learning, asking questions, researching, etc. Not believeing everything you hear but finding out about things on your own. A lot of study and research is involved.

Some women don't care about who does their exam as long as they are (as you say) professional. A lot of women feel that way. A lot of women ( probably more) feel the need for a women for the sake of communication. Girl Talk, in other words.

Yes you be afraid to a degree today. It's a part of being careful and selective. Not just anybody should do. Getting to know the doctor and researching his background is more important than settling for any nice kind doctor. The freaks and rapist of them appear nice, kind, caring and compasionate. Dr. John Huntington Story of Lovell was seemingly kind, was there for his patients-he even loaned them money and excused some of their bills. He was everything a woman thought a doctor should be. But he had a problem. That problem was rape. He even finger probed a three (3) year old child and told her mother she needed to get used to it.

Your choice is any doctor. My choice is the doctor I select.

Originally posted by cguidr4
It is great to see that other qualities are more important than physician gender. The future of male OB/GYNs is not in jeopardy.:clap:

Yeah, Right!

That's what being knowledgeable is all about. Learning, asking questions, researching, etc. Not believeing everything you hear but finding out about things on your own. A lot of study and research is involved.

Some women don't care about who does their exam as long as they are (as you say) professional. A lot of women feel that way. A lot of women ( probably more) feel the need for a women for the sake of communication. Girl Talk, in other words.

Yes you be afraid to a degree today. It's a part of being careful and selective. Not just anybody should do. Getting to know the doctor and researching his background is more important than settling for any nice kind doctor. The freaks and rapist of them appear nice, kind, caring and compasionate. Dr. John Huntington Story of Lovell was seemingly kind, was there for his patients-he even loaned them money and excused some of their bills. He was everything a woman thought a doctor should be. But he had a problem. That problem was rape. He even finger probed a three (3) year old child and told her mother she needed to get used to it.

Your choice is any doctor. My choice is the doctor I select.

Janice, I think you are missing the point (or at least my point, perhaps others disagree).
I don't think anyone disagrees with you that every woman is "in charge" as you say of her own body. Everyone has the right to refuse any part of the physical exam as well as any medical test/procedure. This is called informed consent, with consent being the operative word. Yes, physicians are in a position of authority/power and patients may feel obligated to consent. Thus, it is the duty of the physician to act in the patient's best interest. It is also the patient's duty to stand up for themselves and as you say, do the research.
Next, I would like to dispute the idea that a pelvic exam is sexual simply because it involves reproductive organs. "Sexual" is a state of mind, an interpretation. I doubt a rape victim feels "sexual". Is it an uncomfortable and embarassing "position" to be in? Absolutely. I will however, endure the annual procedure for the preventive health benefits it entails.
And yes, many OB/GYN's serve as a patient's primary physician. Patients may see them for non OB/GYN issues, which of course does not necessitate a pelvic exam. Common sense. Just out of curiosity, how many exams have you performed? What did you think of the process?
Lastly, I believe there are 2 ways to view the world. #1 The world is a safe place with islands of danger. #2 The world is full of danger with islands of safety. I prefer the former. What I wanted you to "get over" was belief #2. That "safe world" includes men whether we like it or not.

Janice,

You really need to give up.

Janice,

It would seem that you have some sort of bias against male obgyn's in general. I don't know if it's because you had a bad exprience or what. But using the obgyn of a doctor's website as a platform for calling all male gynos sexual predators(you haven't yet, but you're only a step away) is totally wasting your breathe.

Personally, I'm not interested in OBGYN, but If I were, it most certainly wouldn't have any sexual aspect or connotation to it. You keep talking about medical rape, and it being your choice as if you expect an argument. You will find none. Every woman is entitled to make her own decision based on her preferences, beliefs, and comfort level. You sound as if you're trying to convince everyone that male obgyns are all rapists. This probably isn't the place where you'll find a huge following for that platform.

But to put it in your terms, it is each male doctor's choice weather or not he can go into this specialty. That is his choices as much as your preference for a doctor is yours. You can say that there's a sexual connotation to it, but that is generally untrue.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see one person post here that was in agreement with you. Need I say more?

Janice,
You are one foolish ignorant person. However, while I agree OB/GYN can be an appealling field, I would strongly discourage most males from going into this field. Take not only my word for this, but also my experiences, and those of males I know graduating from a top OB/GYN program. The only fields open to men are E & I, and Gyn/onc. If you enjoy the operating room, head in to a surgical specialty( go ahead and bash me for not considering OB/GYN a surg specialty). A few of the men I have known who have tried to go into the workforce as general OB/GYN Practitioners have had several fold less offers, no matter their qualifications. It is a difficult decision, especially to those in med school who may have an interest in the field yet are unaware of practice opportunities. Someone else here posted about insurance problems with the field as well. It is a real and very big problem.........
In the end go with your heart and what feels right........But I can't deny that I question any male heading into the field.....

ICUDOC,

It is amazing to me how much I've been discouraged from going into OBGYN. Most doctors cringe if I mention it as a possibility. I have to admit that its starting to deter me from the field. It was #1 on my list for a while, now its barely holding onto being in consideration.

But, if you (and others) are right and the marketplace is unfriendly to male obgyn's, you're right...we'd be fools to enter this field.

janice...

ever heard of "parts are parts"? just an expression that i've heard many times...it means treat every part of a patient equally sensitively and realize that what you're looking at is just another component of the same patient

so whether it's the pelvic exam or the ear exam, do all of them skillfully and keep the patient comfortable so they can receive the best possible care. i'm always careful not to spike someone's tympanic membrane when i do an ear exam, and i always try to make sure that a woman is comfortable during her pelvic exam...and performing the pelvic exam without focusing too much on the fact that "oh-my-gosh, it's a vagina!" helps me do a better job and makes the patient feel more comfortable.

and since we're being completely honest here, when i'm performing a pelvic exam, let's just say that sexual thoughts are perhaps the least likely things that are going through my head...i mean, jeez, these aren't scantily-clad supermodels walking through the door, stripping for me, and then requesting a pelvic exam. they're patients who want to make sure they're healthy and want a comfortable experience. and while there may be some perverts out there who can't keep their sexual frustrations under control, 99% of docs out there maintain their professionalism.

Not too long ago, men ruled all of medicine, even OB/Gyn and there were no major problems that women were screaming all over town about. I too had my best experience with a male gyn and worst with a female. It sort of scares me that all teh menn are being pushed away becuase we could be losing a really good doctor that was tryely ment for this field. For those of you that say they are scared that the man is a pervert or will sexually abuse you, I feel the same way about a woman doc. There are a lot of crazy people out there and who's to say a man is to be more of a pervert than a woman. Some might ask why a woman would want to get tin to the field and stare at women all day. People that think that going into gyn is only about looking down there, but there is a lot more to the field. The doctor, be that male or female, is helping the wellness of a woman in probably the most important aspect of her body and well being. To some, that can be a great fulfillment and feeling accomplishment. Also if you do OB as well, you are helping to bring a new life into the world. This used to be a much more respected field of medicine in the past and it seems to be changing for the worse. Could it be becuase all the men are leaving? Well I am not agreeing with either side because both are right. You go to the doctor that makes you feel more comfortable and gives you the care you need. Don't choose other peoples doctors and don't chose other doctors field of choice based on your opinion, or a couple or your girlfriends. I think if a man truely feels that calling for OB/gyn he should go for it. Just know it might not be a easy walk. Good luck to all you guys considering and women should support a man for doing something he tryely feels is right. With malpractice going up so much, those entering the field are probably the ones that truely want to and not for the $. I am pretty sure that a pervert would get him or herself into something more easier in terms of hours and money. Sorry for blabbling, Happy early X-mas!!

originally posted by Janice:

------------------------------------------------
My level of medical knowledge is college courses and self-taught.
------------------------------------------------

judging by some of janice's previous comments in several threads, we clearly have a person here who is
overly-emotional concerning men in women's health.

she's entitled to her opinions...but fellas, don't quit on the idea of ob-gyn because you see negative comments
like janice's on this forum...as janice has alluded to many times in previous posts, you've got to make yourself
aware of all the facts out there...so while she can speculate about the future of men in ob-gyn, she ISN'T in the
field of medicine, so be sure you give her opinions the proper weight before you make any decisions concerning
your futures.

I've always been curious about this, so I have to ask--what would make ob/gyn a male's first choice? And are there any docs who are just gyn anymore?

I'm also curious to know what a woman who is against male gynocologists thinks about lesbian gynocologists. Janice--you still around?

Originally posted by KarateGirl
I've always been curious about this, so I have to ask--what would make ob/gyn a male's first choice?

I'd imagine the same things that would make OBGYN a females first choice. This is how I answered a similar question on a previous thread:

Personally, my interest in OBGYN stems from the fact that OBGYN gives you the opportunity to practice both medicine and surgery. You get to do surgical procedures (c-sections, hysterectomies) and manage medical problems (e.g. preeclampsia, gestational DM, infections, etc).

Also, the opportunity to take care of two patients at once, i.e. mom and baby, is a unique challenge. I like GYN issues too, e.g. correctly diagnosing the cause of amenorrhea, treating PCOS, etc.

Also, as an MS1 and MS2 I really enjoyed reproductive physiology/endocrinology. I like the possibility of fellowship training in reproductive endocrinology/fertility medicine, GYN/ONC, URO/GYN, etc.

Anyway, I just happen to think its an interesting field that offers the variety of primary care and surgical procedures that most fields don't.

Okay the more this Janice person is taunted, the more threads she puts out and the more people defends themselves. So why argue with her? If she has something agianst male OB/GYNs, than oh well. But anyways, if I may allow me to add a few of my own comments here.

First off I have no desire to be a male OB/GYN. I like OB, but found GYN boring, that's just my opinion. But a male OB?GYN is not such a terrible awful thing.

Let me give you some quotes from some guys I know that do want to be OB/GYNs are already are.

1)" I am a father myself, it was a true joy when my kids were born, I think it is a true privilege to deliver a baby" (I have heard this said by guys many times over)

2) "Women make better surgical patients, they are more willing to go to the doctor, care more about their health, and whine less."

3) "My wife and I had problems conceiving, I spend a lot of time researching infertility, I would love to do GYN/infertility and share what I know with others"

4) "I did one yera of family medicine before I switched to OB/GYN. I got sick of unhealthy old people dying on me, In OB women are young and healthy for the most part. In GYN, some women may be post-menopausal, but other than cancer, most gyn problems are not going to kill the patient."

5) "I have a wife and a mother, I would hate to think that they go to an OB/GYN and are treated rudely or unprofessionally, so I treat my patients professionally and give them extra respect"

Now Janice may not like male OB/GYN. Well that is her opinion and I am sure that many other women shrae this opinion with her. But, I worked with two male OB/GYNs when I did my MS3 OB/GYN rotation, one which ran a solo practice, and let me tell you all, they did not starve, they did not force patients to come into their office.

During my MS1 and MS2 years, I was in Erie, PA which has s shortage of OB/GYNs. A certain male OB/GYN left the area because of malpractice premiums and I can tell you that many of my female classmates were dissapointed because this guy was much more kind, sensitive, and caring than the partners he left behind.

As I said before, I do not want to be and OB/GYN, but when I did OB/GYN, during a pelvic exam, delivery, or surgery, never did perverted thoughts ever! You are there to do a job, and you must stay on your toes and do that job.

So guys, if you want to be an OB/GYN, then don't be discouraged. Just always remember that you are there to do a job, you are treating somebodies wife, girlfriend, mother, etc. Treat all with respect and professionalism, and you should have no problems.

To say that a male OB/GYN is a pervert is to say that a female urologist is a pervert. It makes no sense!

Nice post, bustbones26.

I have to admit, as someone who does have an interest in OBGYN, these type of threads have been a downer. In fact, I just read a poll in my wife's Glamour magazine (don't say a word...I get bored too) that showed that 2/3s of their readers preferred a female OBGYN.

Anyway, my interest in the field parellels many of the reasons you mentioned above, especially infertility medicine. But, if this female-preference thing is the new trend, maybe I should take OBGYN off my list (of possible fields).

before you opt out of a perfectly good choice, teuf, try this simple experiment....pull out the yellow pages and call the male ob/gyn offices. tell them you are a med student donsidering ob/gyn and ask how full they are booked. i am pretty sure that they will be booked several weeks out. or, better yet, have a female friend call a few and see how long it takes to get in.

most ob/gyns that i know are very busy, regardless of sex. the fact is that many girls do prefer a female. but, how far out of thier way will they go to see one? will they see only a female at all costs? will they go to the first available doctor? will they wait a week or two? will they go to a male if they have a friend/relative that highly reccomends them? i think you get my point. a preferance is fine, but it often doesn't work out that way, and that is fine too.

if you want to do it, do it. become a well trained, compassionate physician and be available to build a practice. and it will happen. perhaps it will take a bit longer than a female colleague, perhaps not. in the end, your availability and ability will bring all the patients that you can handle to your door.

best of luck!

In my experience, most think "doctor."

How the hell can you not see it as sexual when it involves a sexual part of the body? I don't have to have a history of assault or rape to know that the exam involves a sexual part of the body.

By this rationale, every female caretaker who changes the soiled diapers of a male child is performing a sexual act on said child.

But in both this and in doing pelvics, context and purpose determines the nature of the action, not the action itself and on its face.

Janice,

research Persecutory Type Delusional Disorder.

Originally posted by Doni
As a female, I don't have a problem with males going into OB/GYN. As long as you are a competent doctor and treat your patients well then you will be successful. :)

well put....

Janice, put down ur crack pipe :rolleyes:

To men who are still considering OBGYN as a specialty, I say more power to you! I did my MS3 rotation at a hospital with many excellent male OBGYNs, and my experience was that women develop a relationship with their DOCTOR, not the man or woman playing the part. True, when seeing a doctor for the first time, many women would choose a female gyn over a male gyn if given the choice, but many patients, male and female alike, simply do not have that choice in today's managed care climate and provider shortage in many geographic regions. There will always be people like Janice, with some wierd psych issue about the pelvic exam that makes them difficult to any doctor, not just male gyns. As long as you are the professional you are supposed to be, and you take your patients' health issues seriously and treat them with respect, very few women will desert your practice in search of a female replacement.

As for the original poster's original question: as a single woman, I only think of male OBGYNs as being somehow strange in the sense that it definitely takes balls to stand up to everyone else and go into a field you love despite all the $hit you have to take over it. Kinda like being a woman going into surgery...

Originally posted by Teufelhunden
Nice post, bustbones26.

I have to admit, as someone who does have an interest in OBGYN, these type of threads have been a downer. In fact, I just read a poll in my wife's Glamour magazine (don't say a word...I get bored too) that showed that 2/3s of their readers preferred a female OBGYN.

Anyway, my interest in the field parellels many of the reasons you mentioned above, especially infertility medicine. But, if this female-preference thing is the new trend, maybe I should take OBGYN off my list (of possible fields).

I personally prefer women doctors. But what do I know I am 32, going back to complete about 2 years worth of premed classes (chem and org chem) and off to med school, and I actually use a CNM instead of a OB/Gyn for pg and women exams. But I want to be an OB. Yet I think that CNM's should be providing care to women. Actually I think Ob's are fine as long as they give the same care as a CNM would. Makes sense, huh. I have never gone to a male ob/gyn, but there is one thing that would have me rethinking that. Two ob's in town, one female with high episiotomy and section rates and a male ob with really low rates. So I think if you can give women the care they want they will come to you. And there are many women who don't care what gender their dr is. Even with my issues of males, the obs in the ob/cnm practice I go to are males (I have never had an exam with them, although I have met all of them. My CNM does my well-women exams). But even though I knew there was a chance of running into problems and needing the male dr, I still choose the practice. Why? Because there section rate is below 5% and there episiotomy rate is even lower and they don't do episiotomies with forceps or vacuums. As it was I had 3 children there, no episiotomy and no sections all with only the CNM in attendance. So even though I personally prefer women what I think the OB field needs is drs who keep the section and episiotomy rate low. Drs who realize, unless the pg becomes high risk, they are only there as a sort of spotter and catcher. I also think drs need to spend more time with their patients in labor. My CNM was in there the whole time. I intend to be that kind of dr.

On another note, does anyone know if while in med school and residency you can refuse to perform or watch circumcisions? Is there any protection by law if you morally object to it? Or will I have an uphill battle.

To each their own. If you prefer female doctors ayndim, thats fine with every physician. It is a personal choice. With Janice's posts, that was not the issue. It was her assumption that many male OB/GYNs are perverts and that it is a "sexual" exam, which is just untrue.

As for refusing circumcisions, I don't know if its possible or not, especially for an OB/GYN. In hospitals that I have seen, OBs are the ones that perform circumcisions (pretty odd in my opinion) and this is considered a part of your training in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.