OB/Gyn Fellowships Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woohooig

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m currently a medical student and really love women’s health and OB/Gyn, but the one thing that is holding me back from committing to the specialty currently is the lifestyle post-residency of a generalist. I understand that MIGS, urogyn, REI, and MFM subspecialties have a relatively great lifestyle in attendinghood. However I was curious about what the lifestyle is like during fellowship for these. Are hours reasonable during the fellowships too? I think I can get through a tough 4 year OB/Gyn residency, but I want to know if the fellowships also have tough hours because 6+ years of grueling training with 80+ hour weeks is a lot. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I’m currently a medical student and really love women’s health and OB/Gyn, but the one thing that is holding me back from committing to the specialty currently is the lifestyle post-residency of a generalist. I understand that MIGS, urogyn, REI, and MFM subspecialties have a relatively great lifestyle in attendinghood. However I was curious about what the lifestyle is like during fellowship for these. Are hours reasonable during the fellowships too? I think I can get through a tough 4 year OB/Gyn residency, but I want to know if the fellowships also have tough hours because 6+ years of grueling training with 80+ hour weeks is a lot. Thank you!

Fellowship hours are typically better.

Migs isn't a real subspecialty. Those fellowships can vary greatly regarding their setup.

For urogynecology, my hours were fairly predictable. No overnights but potentially having to round the entire week and answer constant pages from nurses or patients.

On research year, hours were 9 to 5 basically.

On clinical years:
OR days: Typically start at 7am. If on a busier service, come in earlier to round. Typically done by 4 or 5.

Clinic: 8 to 5.

No in house overnight call but there was pager responsibility. Also if any patients in the hospital on the weekend, you are rounding on them. Not difficult but takes some time out of your mornings on the weekends.

--------------------------------------------------------
MFM and REI also have dedicated research time so those hours are typically fine. If MFM, there is some component of L and D coverage as a fellow which usually involves being in house.

REI is probably the most chill in that sense but probably has a lot of in basket stuff to deal with.

Reactions: 1 user