Traditional OB/GYN vs Laborist Salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Metamorphosis.DO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I could get some numbers on OB/GYN salary for traditional vs laborist. Applying to OBGYN soon and hoping to get some solid numbers as I’ve considered doing shift work at some point in my career.

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering if I could get some numbers on OB/GYN salary for traditional vs laborist. Applying to OBGYN soon and hoping to get some solid numbers as I’ve considered doing shift work at some point in my career.

This is region specific.

Salary and job duties for traditional jobs will vary based on location and practice type.

There are MGMA numbers out there if you search the board.

The practice I left was hospital based. 5 in house calls a month with office hours as well. Mix of OB and GYN. The new compensation structure makes it so you can make around $400k with your typical workload.

The main downside is the 5 in house calls.

As a contrast, there is a FQHC that is offering $320k for Monday through Friday work (plus one half Saturday a month) for clinic and OR. No call duties whatsoever.

Laborist jobs vary. If you join an academic institution and function in that capacity it will depend on their pay structure.

If you do locums laborists or get employed by an OB hospitalist group, typically you are doing 7 or 8 twenty four hour shifts a month. Can approach 300k or more but you could be covering some terrible hospitals with little support.

Reactions: 1 users