WesternU MSMS Fall 2011/2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome.

I'm hoping and praying for the best.

I was in the second interview too porkyo - I was the Pre-Physician Assistant applicant.

:xf: :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yay Mick you got accepted tooo!!!!! So happy for you! Can't wait to study alongside you and everybody else!

my letter was just as mick described. I called Jacob at Western and he said that the linkage notice would come much later. =/ But lets hope that what Jodi said about everyone being linked this year is true =)

everyone who gets in this year will be linked?! really?

Members don't see this ad :)
On the interview day, Jodi was walking us over to the computer lab to do our essays and I asked if there was still going to be the same 10 spots available for the DO linkage and she said that they are hoping to get everyone who was accepted as DO to be linked. She was not certain it would happen but that's what they were hoping to do. So let's hope that's what happens

So from my count...3 out of the 30 spaces are accounted for. Has anyone else heard back? I will keep everyone in my prayers. It was a long wait but so worth it. Again Congrats everyone. I am pre-DO. What is everyone else's area?

:) See you guys soon!

4 spots there are 4 people in the facebook group accepted

So 3 on SDN and 4 (well, 5 now at this moment) on FB? Are there a few people here that are not also in the WesternU MSMS 2012 group on FB?

theres a total of 6 people accepted on the facebook page.

they have not made it through reviewing all the packets from thursday...talked to someone from the school.... just to take the edge off of waiting for those still waiting

Well, we're looking into Claremont and Upland, the former tending to be a bit pricey, but it's supposed to be a nice city. Also for consideration is Rancho Cucamonga. I'm actually going to take a drive down to these cities this Tuesday to look at apartments. June 1st (Wednesday) is the first day of class, according to the booklet we were given on our interview date, so we've got to plan fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
they have not made it through reviewing all the packets from thursday...talked to someone from the school.... just to take the edge off of waiting for those still waiting

good to know. thanks

Anybody tried to contact Jodi regarding Linkage?

Couldn't agree more with the bold. If by some chance I get into this program, I'd probably drop all plans for applications this cycle and just focus on doing well. Btw Mzeep, are you still in the UCLA extension?

What med school does the Western link to? Also, this is the Western in California, right?

Yes, this is the Western in Pomona, California. They have a linkage with their D.O program.

Have you heard anything about WesternU SMP grads going to any of the California MD programs?

Yes, this is the Western in Pomona, California. They have a linkage with their D.O program.

Anybody tried to contact Jodi regarding Linkage?

My application was completed about 10 days ago and I spoke to Jodi about the linkage program. From what she told me, it seems that the linkages are primarily reserved for students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds (aka URM). I am guessing this is done to increase the probability of students returning to address the shortage of physicians in certain communities. However, Jodi did mention that some students, who do not fit this particular description, may still be given linkages to the program.

I am sorry if that question is too personal, but Med2OP and the others who have been accepted, would you guys consider yourselves as coming from a disadvantaged background? I am just curious because I do not consider myself disadvantaged and would like to know if it would significantly affect my chances of gaining an acceptance. You do not have to answer; I'm just trying to assess my chances of being accepted into this great program :) Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Well, we're looking into Claremont and Upland, the former tending to be a bit pricey, but it's supposed to be a nice city. Also for consideration is Rancho Cucamonga. I'm actually going to take a drive down to these cities this Tuesday to look at apartments. June 1st (Wednesday) is the first day of class, according to the booklet we were given on our interview date, so we've got to plan fast.

Awesome Mickc...let us know how apt hunting goes! I'm trying to get a single bedroom apt/studio and will make a trip to Western soon. I looked at the University apartments and they were pretty pricey!

Awesome Mickc...let us know how apt hunting goes! I'm trying to get a single bedroom apt/studio and will make a trip to Western soon. I looked at the University apartments and they were pretty pricey!

So today we drove out to Chino, Ontario, and Upland. Initially, we considered Claremont as a possible place for the next five years, however, it seems the going price for a 2-br apt is a bit out of our range. While we were looking at 2-br apts, we also took note of the going price for a 1-br, which was approximately $1050, give or take $50. It seems to me that you get what you pay for, and that is especially true in this area. For reference, out of the five places we visited, one was a 2-br going for $975/month, with the need for major upgrades. The average price for a 2-br was approximately $1150, give or take a few. These places all had central air/heating, a balcony, a swimming pool (not that we'd have time to swim), a gym, and laundry either in the apt or within the complex. PM me if you need more information. (I think you have to add me as a friend first, though.)

Since no one has answered, I will chime in. As far as I know, everyone accepted (~6 ppl) are all pre-DO. Things seem to be moving slowly on the WesternU side right now.

Best,
Mick

I counted about 8 people being accepted and they are all pre-DO. In my opinion, I think since so few people apply as non-DO, they want to interview all candidates before deciding on who to accept or not into dental, PA, etc. Wouldn't that make sense?

Hi Everyone,

I spoke to Jodi today in regards to my status. However, she was able to tell me that she still needs to review 21 application from the 1st and 2nd interview. She told me that it has been difficult to get everyone in the same room for a review - I believe i understand that because some cohorts are in spring break, and some faculty are probably busy or out of town.

In regards to my status as a Pre-PA, my application has actually been reviewed. Great news and not so great news. Jodi wants me to be in the MSMS program, however, since the linkage in the PA program is yet to be determined, she has put a hold on my application until she has spoken to all the committee members in regards to giving me a chance to matriculate to the PA program after the MSMS program. So far, the PA program is saying maybe but most likely no. However, the hold on my application is also existent because she does not want my MSMS career to go to waste if the PA linkage or the chance of matriculating into it is not given to me. I did tell her that I knew that there was no linkage program involved, and that I am ready to accept all incoming responsibilities thereafter.

I really appreciate what she has been doing for me through out this process. I feel very blessed to have someone like her advocating me for the PA program. It was also nice to know that my interview was wonderful and that the faculties supported me as well as the students interviewers.

My file is going to be reviewed again within the upcoming week - hopefully with a PA representative and with the MSMS faculty.

Wish me luck everyone.

Goodluck PAbound86, I hope things work out for you. It's really nice to hear that this school and its faculty cares. However, It seems that Western is way behind on reviewing applications, I wonder if they'll wait to make decisions after reviewing the applicants from the April 14th interviews. It's only 2 weeks away! I'm a pre-dental student and I've had my application complete since Feb. 28th. I'm hoping that I will still have a chance of getting a spot in the program and linkage too. Were there any pre dental students at your interview?

Goodluck PAbound86, I hope things work out for you. It's really nice to hear that this school and its faculty cares. However, It seems that Western is way behind on reviewing applications, I wonder if they'll wait to make decisions after reviewing the applicants from the April 14th interviews. It's only 2 weeks away! I'm a pre-dental student and I've had my application complete since Feb. 28th. I'm hoping that I will still have a chance of getting a spot in the program and linkage too. Were there any pre dental students at your interview?

Yes, there was one pre-dental student during my interview. We were able to see the dental lab (i'm sure if that is what they call it) during the campus tour because of that one particular student.

I can't say agree or disagree in regards to Western's current procedures in reviewing applications. I just know that some schools can take months to even get back to you. My friend just got accepted to Pharmacy school, and she applied last October interviewed in early December - and she finally heard back from them last week!!

"Don't stop believing, just hold on to that feeling" - Journey or Glee - which ever you prefer :p

I love Journey's version LOL! I guess I'm just getting really impatient. Also, I think one of the people that posted here said that the program starts in early June so it seems that they're cutting it close. Oh well, I guess the waiting continues...

Good luck PAbound! Jodi seems awesome, hope everything works out!:xf:

I'm kinda in the same boat as aimee. My app was turned in last October but was complete the first week of Feb, so I'm guessing there is a chance it hasn't been reviewed yet? I'm really losing hope as days go by but knowing that they're still reviewing apps from the first interview dates would explain why it's been slow, at least I hope this is the case! :(

Btw those of you looking at housing, have you looked at the Helix? I remember hearing about it on one of their preview days.

i interviewed on march 10th and they said that it would take three weeks for a decision. well today is that day. nothing. congrats to those who got in. i just want to know. called and just got machines.

does anyone know the final day that the interviews are taking place?

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Stay hydrated and wear sunscreen, but don't forget to have fun in the sun!!

:D

In the orientation booklet we were given on interview day states there will be interviews in march, April, and may. Doesn't give specific dates and says it is subject to change. I would call Jodi and ask.

I found this off of the AAMC site:
(909) 706-3842

Good luck.

hey all, has anyone received an interview invite for either 4/14 or 4/28? I haven't heard anything since my file was completed back in Feb... gettin a lil discouraged here :(

Hang in there, someone on the FB group received a phone call for a 4/28 interview yesterday.

Hello everyone! I received a call yesterday around 6:40pm (Eastern Time) for an interview invite! YAY! It is for April 14th.

For all of those people that have already been interviewed, how did you get there and where did you stay? I was looking at flying into LAX and driving the 45 mile drive to Pomona, but it is actually looking like flying into Ontario would be the same price but I wouldn't be able to get a rental car. Any suggestions? Should I have a rental car? Also any pointers on where to stay?

I am super excited! Just have to get everything into place since I only have a week to prepare! Ekk!

Anyone else going to be there the 14th?

Also could someone post a link to the facebook page. I cannot find it. :confused:

Thanks!

Hello everyone! I received a call yesterday around 6:40pm (Eastern Time) for an interview invite! YAY! It is for April 14th.

For all of those people that have already been interviewed, how did you get there and where did you stay? I was looking at flying into LAX and driving the 45 mile drive to Pomona, but it is actually looking like flying into Ontario would be the same price but I wouldn't be able to get a rental car. Any suggestions? Should I have a rental car? Also any pointers on where to stay?

I am super excited! Just have to get everything into place since I only have a week to prepare! Ekk!

Also could someone post a link to the facebook page. I cannot find it. :confused:

Thanks!

AWESOME! Congrats! request me as a friend and I will add you to the group.

Marianna Khrlobyan =)

Congrats miramorel! Good luck on your interview! When was your app complete?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! Anyone have any pointers for the interview? lol

Miramorel,
Yes, just be yourself and don't worry. You're there to be interviewed for a reason.

Best,
Mick

Hi Everyone,
For those who are accepted to the MSMS program and for those who will hopefully get in soon, please take note and let me know if you are interested. The current MSMS students will be presenting their Capstone project to the University and faculty at a Colloquium. (Date and Time will be posted soon). I asked Jodi, and she thought it would be a great idea to have the incoming MSMS students attend the Colloquium. But, I need to know who will be coming in order to give her a number to ensure we all get breakfast that morning. I thought this would be a great opportunity for us. We will be working on our capstone projects soon and be presenting it just as they will be so this should be a great learning experience for us. PLEASE let me know if you are interested in attending. Either Private message me or just reply to this post. I have also posted this message on the MSMS facebook page. Thanks! =)

Manya

I am definitely interested in attending, just let me know the details whenever you find out! I am not accepted into the program and I have my interview on April 14th!

getting nervous but excited :)

Hello Everyone,

Can you go through the questions that were asked during your interviews?

Thank you!

Hello Everyone,

Can you go through the questions that were asked during your interviews?

Thank you!

Hi Doctora Jr.
Unfortunately, we are not allowed to go through the questiosn that were asked during the interview. It would not be fair to those who were already interviewed and to those waiting to be interviewed. I can tell you that they were "behavioral-based questions" as it states they would be on the WesternU website. Just be yourself and try to relax and you will do great! Good luck to you!

I am definitely interested in attending, just let me know the details whenever you find out! I am not accepted into the program and I have my interview on April 14th!

getting nervous but excited :)

Great! Good luck on your interview! If you get in, please let me know so that I can confirm that you will be attending the colloquium. As soon as I know the details of time and date I will post it.
Congrats on the interview! =)