Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still no calls/emails.....hopeful for a call tomorrow!

Keep up the positive attitude... I could really use it!

SDN can really get you down sometimes... I am feeling like we are probably waitlisted...

but I guess things could be worse!

Good luck to you (and me too! haha) man!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep up the positive attitude... I could really use it!

SDN can really get you down sometimes... I am feeling like we are probably waitlisted...

but I guess things could be worse!

Good luck to you (and me too! haha) man!

:) Things could be worse. This is true. If you're waitlisted at least you still have a chance.

As a reapplicant I learned not to count on waitlists for much. It can just be a strung out rejection.
I was in two waitlists last year and I feel the same way. It's a terrible experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! So happy! I absolutely love the culture at this school.

No call or email yet hoping it's not a waitlist

No call or email yet hoping it's not a waitlist

I recall hearing during interview day that all acceptances will be via snail mail. No calls. No emails. That's why they emphasized updating mailing addresses if they had changed.
That makes me feel better because I remember hearing that at the interview also.

Hang in there folks! If you're like me, I know you've been checking this forum obsessively wondering if Dr. Pham reappeared and blessed some more students with acceptances....no news is good news right?

No news is probably a wait list, which if I remember doesn't move much at all here. So no one has received snail mail yet?

Last edited:
No news is probably a wait list. So no one has received snail mail yet?
It seems odd to me that so many of us haven't heard anything. I wonder if they are waitlisting more people this year; they are interviewing a larger amount of people this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters went in the mail Friday....I got waitlisted.

Where did you get that information that it doesn't move much here? Can someone else confirm or back this statement up?
I was waitlisted in February of last year and didn't get in despite updates and a letter of intent. Not many people were accepted off the waitlist/ or not many people posted that they were accepted off the waitlist. You have an advantage in the form of extra time though, as you can probably get feedback and update the committee on your progress

A few questions:
1. Does anyone know if there is a pizza social the night before every interview date? I was invited to the November 14th interview but have not heard anything about the pizza social except on here. I plan on calling Jeannie about a few other things, so I will probably ask her when I do and post here once I do, but thought I'd ask before asking her something stupid.

2. Has anyone had any luck with the student host program? I e-mailed Jeannie about it but haven't heard back for a few weeks. Just wanted to know if anyone ever got a student host, and if not, if there's anywhere everyone preferred to stay?

Anyone else get snail mail or email on acceptance/rejection? Still havent heard anything...

For the people waitlisted: how do you feel about your interview? Did you think it went really well.

The same question goes for those denied/accepted?

Snail mail is in...waitlisted. Which for me means I won't be attending here. Good luck to everyone else it's a great school!

Just marked complete today (Friday evening). I know someone said they got an II within 24 hours of complete email (which seems weird to me but I guess they were just an amazing applicant), but can anyone else share how long they waited until II?

My MCAT is not particularly strong but I have a well rounded app/lots of experience working under DOs...I hope that will be enough to get in!

I came out of the interview knowing that my interviewers will present a very strong case for me to the rest of the adcom. However, many students think that this thing is just about the interview. It isn't! Everyone that was present for the interview day is part of the adcom. Therefore, you need to demonstrate that you're an awesome person to everyone there. You are under constant surveillance.

...not really under constant surveillance. If you fingerpaint on the bathroom walls with your feces, then yes you might draw some attention your way. But overall you don't have to be on edge with the biggest smile and best small talk to everyone you meet that day. Just be a normal human and have thoughtful answers in you interview.

You're going to send some people into an anxiety spiral thinking they have to constantly impress and entertain everyone they meet on interview day. Just don't be a jackass and your intervview and app will seal the deal.

Everyone was so nice and inviting! The panel interview was also very relaxed and conversational. Overall I liked the MMI and the school. Lebanon is a cool little town. Loved the city manager.
Do not base your medical education on your feelings for the city manager at any school. But yes, he is a very nice guy.

So I am going to be interviewing here on Oct 24 and this would be my first MMI interview. Does anyone know how COMP-NW structure their MMI like what type of stations did they have and how best to prepare for it? My pre med advisor just straight out told me that there is no way to prepare for them except to read up on some of the issues and be myself. I mean at least for a regular interview you can do a mock interview but what do you do for an MMI???

I have a question, concerning the physician shadowing section of the application. I was a scribe for 2 years. Does this count as shadowing? I don't want my scribe experience to be overlooked if I don't put it in. I know it is in the AACOMAS section, but there isn't really a place for it in the secondary.
Please help.

Last edited:
I have a question, concerning the physician shadowing section of the application. I was a scribe for 2 years. Does this count as shadowing? I don't want my scribe experience to be overlooked if I don't put it in. I know it is in the AACOMAS section, but there isn't really a place for it in the secondary.
Please help.
I put my scribe experience in the shadowing section, was interviewed and accepted. Shouldn't be a problem.

For those of you on waitlists, don't give up hope!
I interviewed on 9/24 and was accepted, but I just turned down the offer since I'll be attending Texas Tech. So that means at least one spot opened up. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys :)

Do any current students know the name of the apartment complex that is being built right next to the school?

FOR THOSE INTERVIEWING THIS WEEKEND:

There is an OSU football game, so traffic from Portland will be slower than usual all day. Be prepared to leave early, and check commute times before you leave. And good luck! See you all there

There is an OSU football game, so traffic from Portland will be slower than usual all day. Be prepared to leave early, and check commute times before you leave. And good luck! See you all there

Thanks for the heads-up!

I also appreciate the heads-up. Luckily I am arriving Thursday night and my flight after the interview is 11:30 PM so I should still be good with timing. I had a feeling something like that would happen

Very impressed with the interview day. If I get an acceptance, I will be going here, so I'm hoping for some good news

I agree with the 2 posts above mine. I LOVED this school and I am hoping for an acceptance. It seemed like a great environment with good ways to get involved on campus. This is going to be a long couple of weeks waiting for the news

Lebanon is in a great location, Bend is not far, tons of hiking, ocean is not too far away either. It's literally in the middle of everything. The only thing I heard is that it rains most of the time.
Excited to interview here. How soon do they usually notify you about the decision?

Thanks for the info!
I am actually a big fan of snow and would take snow and cold over rain anytime.
Working in the hospital, I constantly interact with many physicians, some of them DO's. And every time I check their bios, most of the DO physicians are Western's graduates. So that means a lot.

10-15 business days. Sure it might rain quite a bit during the winter season. But it beats the cold in the Midwest and East Coast by a mile. The biggest selling point is the support from school faculty and current student body. COMP-NW is the only school that arranges a current student host with interviewees. That literally saves like $100 off your budget right there. At the end of the day, you should go where you feel comfortable at. It's a gut feeling thing.
How did you get a student host? I have an upcoming interview and was hoping to get a student host, but haven't heard anything about that yet :/

Also, I haven't checked back in this thread, but what did people wear to the pizza social the night before if you were able to attend?

I wore a nice pair of jeans with a nice top that was modest and a cardigan with flats. A lot of females wore nice pants with nice tops and cardigans. A lot of men wore a nice pair or slacks and polo shirt or nice button down top

10-15 business days. Sure it might rain quite a bit during the winter season. But it beats the cold in the Midwest and East Coast by a mile. The biggest selling point is the support from school faculty and current student body. COMP-NW is the only school that arranges a current student host with interviewees. That literally saves like $100 off your budget right there. At the end of the day, you should go where you feel comfortable at. It's a gut feeling thing.
KCOM set up a student host for me.