Western University - Lebanon (COMP-NW) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Supposedly most DO schools see about 25% of their class move come traffic day for MD schools. At least that's what they told me at ACOM.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Dear current students, could you please talk about how physically personal the students get? I know that at some schools you do physical exams on each other, with like 20 other students in the room. Basically, everybody sees each other naked/half dressed. I come from a different culture and don't really feel too comfortable with this idea of being undressed in front of a crowd. I understand that it'll be part of the job to see others, but it's different. I get that you practice omt on each other, but at least you're dressed. Do you practice gyno exams on each other, and does every female partake, or do you use the sim robots? How does this work? Thanks in advance!
Hey Vrach',

You will NOT do invasive physical exams on each other (i.e. gyno, breast, rectal) there are standardized patients for that. You will practice using your medical tools for physical exams on each other typically while wearing scrubs. OMM will be sports bra and shorts for girls, and shirtless and shorts for boys (There are exceptions to this rule on a case by case basis).

Hope this helps.

For those students who
Have been accepted and paid your deposit, did you immediately have access to the student/employee section of banweb?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those students who
Have been accepted and paid your deposit, did you immediately have access to the student/employee section of banweb?

It took them about a week to get it all to me, but I was accepted right before their winter break, so it may be sooner for you.

Dear current students, could you please talk about how physically personal the students get? I know that at some schools you do physical exams on each other, with like 20 other students in the room. Basically, everybody sees each other naked/half dressed. I come from a different culture and don't really feel too comfortable with this idea of being undressed in front of a crowd. I understand that it'll be part of the job to see others, but it's different. I get that you practice omt on each other, but at least you're dressed. Do you practice gyno exams on each other, and does every female partake, or do you use the sim robots? How does this work? Thanks in advance!

Hey current student here. It was answered above, but you don't need to do invasive exams on your classmates. During second year there is a controlled environment for that with specific patients who come in, and a physician walks you through those sensitive exams with just you, the physician, and another classmate in the exam room with the patient (prostate, breast, rectal, etc).

OMM class has a dress code of shorts and sports bras for girls, or shorts for guys. They do demonstrations of techniques at the front of the class with students, but that is completely voluntary, so you wouldn't be expected to sit half clothed in front of the class unless you volunteered to do so. I know the school allows exceptions to the dress code on case by case situations, so that is something you would need to address with the faculty, but it is much easier to learn palpating on skin rather than through clothing :)

ECM (essentials of clinical medicine) is basically your "learning to be a doctor" class, and you practice some physical exams on each other, but it is really just things like taking blood pressures, pulses, using all of your new medical equipment...you aren't really expected to expose much skin for that (this year we wear scrubs for class).

I hope that is helpful. I was nervous about the dress code in OMM as well, but it became more comfortable once I got into class.

Last edited:
So, have a financial aid award letters been sent out for anyone yet?

So, have a financial aid award letters been sent out for anyone yet?

Nope, I have a feeling that will be a while from now

Is there an official 2020 class fb page yet for this?

Interviewed on Nov 14 last year and was waitlisted. Submitted my Letter of Intent last Friday. Jeanie was a great help as always. Fingers crossed.

Interviewed on Nov 14 last year and was waitlisted. Submitted my Letter of Intent last Friday. Jeanie was a great help as always. Fingers crossed.
I probably met you there. Hope you get in ;) good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
is anyone else still on pre-ii hold?

Just interviewed today. Loved the campus, was ok on the segmentation of the curriculum. My only complaint... There is no natural light in the anatomy lab. So all that being said, I am excited to hear back. Being a man of the west I think that WesternUNW would be a good fit for my cut.

Just interviewed today. Loved the campus, was ok on the segmentation of the curriculum. My only complaint... There is no natural light in the anatomy lab. So all that being said, I am excited to hear back. Being a man of the west I think that WesternUNW would be a good fit for my cut.
It's so students can lose themselves working in the lab without thought of time passing ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 3/19/16. They said this was the last interview date for the 2020 class. Feel the interview went well - anxiously waiting on response!

So...I'm taking it kinda easy this semester and I might end up with a C in one of my classes. Does anybody know if this will be a problem for matriculation?

You could just not do that.

Yes, and I'm working on that.

Hey everyone, do you know how long anatomy lab is? Is it three months or a year long? I don't remember for this sepecific school. Thanks!

What's the dress code here? Do first and second years wear scrubs? Is there a color requirement?

Has anyone received an acceptance for the 3/19 interview yet? Still no response.. Trying to have patience!!

No word here yet either. What was the timeframe they gave?

They said that the letters should go out after about 2 weeks.

Last edited:
They said that acceptance letters should go out after about 2 weeks.

Just wanted to follow-up... it was great meeting you all on the 03/19 interview day and I hope to see you all next year! I was ACCEPTED on 03/30!!! Got the call from Dr. Pham last week! I'm so stoked! :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to follow-up... it was great meeting you all on the 03/19 interview day and I hope to see you all next year! I was ACCEPTED on 03/30!!! Got the call from Dr. Pham last week! I'm so stoked! :soexcited:

Congrats!! :highfive:
Thank you for the update!

What's the dress code here? Do first and second years wear scrubs? Is there a color requirement?

First years wear scrubs in the anatomy lab, and both first and second years wear scrubs during Essentials of Clinical Medicine on the days that professional dress is not required. Professional is required during Standardized Patient encounters and you have a few of these per semester. ECM is only 1 day/week, and there's no dress code outside of ECM.

How many people have received information about ISAC? How does the invitation work, anyways? I'm on the "interested" list, but haven't received any word yet...

So I called admissions regarding March 19th interviews and Jeannie said that we could hear back by the end of this week since they have been waiting on the Dean's approval (She said some people were out of town).

How many people have received information about ISAC? How does the invitation work, anyways? I'm on the "interested" list, but haven't received any word yet...

I don't have a wealth of information regarding this question; however, I will say that from what I've read on the Facebook page no one else has really heard anything either. One of the students (a second year I believe) said he remembered being notified around the middle of April. I also emailed Holli 2 and a half weeks ago inquiring about their timeline and at that time she told me they would hopefully be in contact "in the next week or so".

Not a direct answer to your question, but I hope this helps! With any luck we should know soon (which would be great because I have to give my job and my landlord enough notice before I move!) :)

I don't have a wealth of information regarding this question; however, I will say that from what I've read on the Facebook page no one else has really heard anything either. One of the students (a second year I believe) said he remembered being notified around the middle of April. I also emailed Holli 2 and a half weeks ago inquiring about their timeline and at that time she told me they would hopefully be in contact "in the next week or so".

Not a direct answer to your question, but I hope this helps! With any luck we should know soon (which would be great because I have to give my job and my landlord enough notice before I move!) :)
Called Holli last week. They have notified the 16 people that were selected. Waiting for paperwork to be returned this week. Additional people will be notified as people decline. Who knows how many that will be.

I declined last night! So at least one more offer will go out :)

Called Holli last week. They have notified the 16 people that were selected. Waiting for paperwork to be returned this week. Additional people will be notified as people decline. Who knows how many that will be.

Well that stinks :/ Was hoping to do the course, but unless I find out about a spot in the next week or so I wouldn't be able to do it anyway because of needing to let me job know/find a place to live. *sigh* Thanks for the info!

Well that stinks :/ Was hoping to do the course, but unless I find out about a spot in the next week or so I wouldn't be able to do it anyway because of needing to let me job know/find a place to live. *sigh* Thanks for the info!
It probably wouldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know you are very interested.

Just got an email invite for ISAC! =) Will be happy to join! How many of you are also gonna do it?

Got mine also! I'll be tgere

Got mine also! I'll be tgere

Did you have the required files attached? What's the deadline to submit all documents if you're doing ISAC? And congrats; see you there!

It probably wouldn't hurt to give them a call and let them know you are very interested.

Lol I actually received an invitation about a day after I posted that and submitted my signed acceptance :) See all you ISACers in June!!

Did you have the required files attached? What's the deadline to submit all documents if you're doing ISAC? And congrats; see you there!

My email didn't have all the attached documents so I emailed Holli and she sent them to me. On my paperwork it said the deadline to accept was April 15th, but it might be different depending on when you were notified.

So who else is on this alternate list and what does it mean?

I dont think you can fly into the corvallis or the albany airport. They are municipal airports... Which sucks since it would have made things more convenient. Unless I'm mistaken - can anyone comment? Or is the closest airport from lebanon that you can fly into and out of is that the eugene airport?

can any 3rd or 4th year students comment on the rotation sites? what they like, what they don't like? I'm having trouble deciding is COMP NW is a good fit for me in regards to rotation sites because lets face it... exposure is key.

can any current year students comment on what books to get (as an incoming first year)...

I would honestly get Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy and that is it. Everything else is based off the slides.