West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
We aren't. Most people simply aren't this active early on. Once interviews begin in a few months, this and every other thread will be popping.

I'm sure you stand a chance! Just try and get everything else (everything with the exception of your MCAT) in as soon as you can.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when this school will begin sending out secondaries? I've received a few but I'm really waiting on this one

#1 school for me. OOS though, hoping for some love.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year, the system that sent out secondaries was slow so we got them around August. Hopefully you guys get them earlier this year. Good luck!

Good Luck to all the other WVSOM applicants!

Last edited:
Someone I know talked to WVSOM and they go through their primary apps by hand and she has not even started yet. Expect August at the earliest...

I know but they are very careful about who they invite and like a lot of DO schools, they really care about the person not just data.
This process can certainly do me some favor haha, applying with 3.5s/26, Oregon resident, good luck to everyone else!

This process can certainly do me some favor haha, applying with 3.5s/26, Oregon resident, good luck to everyone else!
Good luck! It is a great school from what I know and have heard from friends who went there!

Just got the secondary! Guess what? They only require a secondary fee if you are selected for an interview.

Edit: Thanks for the likes, wishing you guys the best of luck during the cycle. Here are the essays for the secondary.
Please answer the following questions, restricting your answers to 500 characters or less.

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.
4. What do you feel it will take for you to succeed in medical school?
5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? (empty fill in blank for #s) hours per week. Optional brief comments about your study habits.
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
7. What experiences (living, working or visiting) have you had in rural areas?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
THIS IS THE MOST COLORFUL EMAIL I HAVE EVER GOTTEN!

Reactions: 8 users
Just got the secondary! Guess what? They only require a secondary fee if you are selected for an interview.

Edit: Thanks for the likes, wishing you guys the best of luck during the cycle. Here are the essays for the secondary.
Please answer the following questions, restricting your answers to 500 characters or less.

1. Why do you want to be an osteopathic physician?
2. What advantage do you see in attending WVSOM over other medical schools?
3. Describe an ethically challenging situation you have been in, and how you responded.
5. How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time? (empty fill in blank for #s) hours per week. Optional brief comments about your study habits.
6. Describe a situation in work, volunteer activities, or organizations where you demonstrated your ability to work well with others.
Even though its 500 characters, it is a rather long secondary

Even though its 500 characters, it is a rather long secondary
There are many questions in this secondary; however, it is an easy one... Though it was difficult for me to answer these questions using only 500 characters... I was accepted and it was a difficult decision to decline the acceptance because of high tuition since I was OOS applicant... WVSOM is excellent school with great/nice staff...

I just got everything required submitted and in the automated e-mails I found something interesting. "While your electronically submitted letters of recommendation via Virtual Eval or Interfolio are available to us, please note that your checklist will not be updated until you are invited for an interview. Following the interview appointment notice, your letters are then posted to your checklist a few days prior to your interview appointment."

I'm really glad they that included that tidbit otherwise I would of been wondering if they had received my LORs or not. Off topic, but this is my last secondary that I needed to fill out of the application cycle. Feels weird now.

Has anyone been able to find a due date for the secondary? Early is obviously better; however, I have a pile of them to get through...

EDIT: They do not have a due date. Also, speeding tickets count as "yes" for question 10.

Last edited:
What about a ticket for an improper turn that took place 4 years ago in Idaho?

Last edited:
What about a ticket for an improper turn that took place 4 years ago in Idaho?

I asked if speeding tickets counted, and they said yes—that was the extent of the conversation. My last speeding ticket was 7 years ago in Ohio, so I would assume you would need to check "yes" as well.

Any thoughts on if they want a description of experiences or a simple yes or no I lived, worked, and was schooled here?

What does it mean? Could someone explain it to me please?

What does it mean? Could someone explain it to me please?
Qualities you need to succeed

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone that had LORs sent via US mail had their checklist updated yet? I had mine sent earlier this summer and they definitely should have arrived but they are not listed on my checklist...

Has anyone that had LORs sent via US mail had their checklist updated yet? I had mine sent earlier this summer and they definitely should have arrived but they are not listed on my checklist...
I had mine sent via Interfolio and according to the checklist, they are not marked as being received. I do not know that at this time, if anyone's are so I am curious as well...

I had mine sent via Interfolio and according to the checklist, they are not marked as being received. I do not know that at this time, if anyone's are so I am curious as well...

see this post:

I just got everything required submitted and in the automated e-mails I found something interesting. "While your electronically submitted letters of recommendation via Virtual Eval or Interfolio are available to us, please note that your checklist will not be updated until you are invited for an interview. Following the interview appointment notice, your letters are then posted to your checklist a few days prior to your interview appointment."

I had two LORs that were received by the WVSOM admissions office during the first half of June and received email notification today that they are now processed. Chances are they have your LORs and are working through the pile.

What does "application preference" mean on the checklist?

Submitted last night, decision deferred this morning. lol FML!!!!!

Submitted last night, decision deferred this morning. lol FML!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. Don't give up, last year people received that status and they received interviews later in the year. My status still says in progress, decision pending.

I don't understand the question "How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time?"

Is this to weed out the people who put too many hours (gunners) and the people who don't put enough hours? Would 30 hours be ok, i'm not sure :confused: ?

I don't understand the question "How many hours per week are you willing to commit to studying in addition to the 25 hours of weekly scheduled class time?"

Is this to weed out the people who put too many hours (gunners) and the people who don't put enough hours? Would 30 hours be ok, i'm not sure :confused: ?
Who knows? I put 40 like a full time job. I was thinking like 5 hours per day and 8 during the weekend. Free on Sundays. But it is only an estimate. Some may require more and some may require less.

Who knows? I put 40 like a full time job. I was thinking like 5 hours per day and 8 during the weekend. Free on Sundays. But it is only an estimate. Some may require more and some may require less.
I put 80. It seemed like a plausible number to me, and I wanted to communicate that I understood that medical school requires a time commitment on a level above that of undergrad.

I put 80. It seemed like a plausible number to me, and I wanted to communicate that I understood that medical school requires a time commitment on a level above that of undergrad.

Seems excessive. But not false in any sense. I am sure during some blocks, courses, etc.. it will require 60+ hours of studying and especially close to exam time. The only that bothered me was I have never heard of 25 hours per week days. Most days are suppose to be 8-4/5 with the exception of friday which is 8-12. I am only speculating because that is how it is at other schools.

Assuming you get 8 hours a night, there's 87 available hours. You have an hour a day to eat three times, drive wherever, bathe, and try relaxing. You must be a machine.