Wayne State vs. MCW

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amandaeleven

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The last post comparing these two schools is from 2007, which I feel is quite outdated. Also, I do not have an acceptance from MCW (top quartile of the waitlist) but just in case I have to make a decision, having thought it through earlier would make life easier (and hopefully free up a spot at one of these two schools for a waitlister sooner!).

Here are my thoughts:

Wayne PROS:
- IS tuition (at least $10k cheaper when just considering tuition)
- Urban setting (I feel like training/learning in an Urban setting may expose you to more variety in cases)
- Great hospital connections (though I'm kind of sad at the loss of Beaumont to OU for rotations)

Wayne CONS:
- Living close to home (which may prove to be a huge distraction from studying)
- I'm a bit worried about safety in Detroit (although, I do realize there are tons of people trying to turn the city around)

MCW PROS:
- Suburban area (at least gives the impression of safety)
- Affiliation with top rated Children's hospital (I really want to go into a peds specialty)
- Smaller class size (I don't know that this would really matter... but it's a fact)

MCW CONS:
- Much more expensive...
- I only experienced the area for a day, so my perception of the school/area might be slightly off

Any insight at all from current students or anyone who has close ties with either institution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Wayne and most people do commute from outside (they said 15-20 minutes). The city doesn't have good public transportation so it'd be by car. Keep that in mind. I love the cities - lived in them all my life and will continue to do so. Detroit has a lot of problems but the campus itself is safe and there are nice areas to go to for nightlife and other cultural events, just like any other city.

I can't speak to MCW since I declined my interview there.

$40k over four years is a lot. That's going to be closer to $80k over the course of the payback. It's not a trivial sum. I would go there unless getting far away from your family is that important to you.

However, as with most choices between USMD schools, you can succeed and do well with either place :).

Given the choice between the two, I'd probably take MCW.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nicer setting, better research, better rotation sites. Expense is somewhat trivial in my opinion (although that's easier for me to say because I'm HPSP). I'm currently waitlisted at both so I have no dog in this fight, but a friend of mine had to make this same decision last year and went with MCW. She's now set up for a summer research opportunity with the NIH and has no regrets about her decision

MCW seems like a great choice for you. The only real con you have for it is that it's slightly more expensive, and in my opinion that should not be the thing that ever holds you back from something. From your pros, being in a surburban setting where there is a successful pediatrics environment seems like a great choice. I'm more biased also because I am looking to go to a place I'm not extremely familiar with (which seems like the same situation with Wisconsin for you) because it allows you to grow and be successful. Being somewhere unfamiliar lets you show yourself how strong of a person you truly are. Anyways, point is --> MCW = :thumbup:

I interviewed at Wayne and most people do commute from outside (they said 15-20 minutes). The city doesn't have good public transportation so it'd be by car. Keep that in mind. I love the cities - lived in them all my life and will continue to do so. Detroit has a lot of problems but the campus itself is safe and there are nice areas to go to for nightlife and other cultural events, just like any other city.

I can't speak to MCW since I declined my interview there.

$40k over four years is a lot. That's going to be closer to $80k over the course of the payback. It's not a trivial sum. I would go there unless getting far away from your family is that important to you.

However, as with most choices between USMD schools, you can succeed and do well with either place :).

I'm definitely commuting and have taken that into account. I agree that the money part is hard to pass over especially since I've heard that Wayne has quite a few scholarships to give out (then again, it's a huge incoming class!). Thanks for the input!

Nicer setting, better research, better rotation sites. Expense is somewhat trivial in my opinion (although that's easier for me to say because I'm HPSP). I'm currently waitlisted at both so I have no dog in this fight, but a friend of mine had to make this same decision last year and went with MCW. She's now set up for a summer research opportunity with the NIH and has no regrets about her decision

Hmmm these are interesting points. The research part actually isn't as huge of a factor so much as the community service aspect (another reason it's hard for me to let go of Wayne). Thanks for the input and good luck to you!

Hmmm these are interesting points. The research part actually isn't as huge of a factor so much as the community service aspect (another reason it's hard for me to let go of Wayne). Thanks for the input and good luck to you!

Thanks! And good luck to you as well. No matter where you end up, the end result is the same in that you get to be a doctor!

MCW seems like a great choice for you. The only real con you have for it is that it's slightly more expensive, and in my opinion that should not be the thing that ever holds you back from something. From your pros, being in a surburban setting where there is a successful pediatrics environment seems like a great choice. I'm more biased also because I am looking to go to a place I'm not extremely familiar with (which seems like the same situation with Wisconsin for you) because it allows you to grow and be successful. Being somewhere unfamiliar lets you show yourself how strong of a person you truly are. Anyways, point is --> MCW = :thumbup:

The lure of going to a new place is definitely there -- I did that 5 years ago though and ended up in rural Massachusetts (which, I absolutely hated while I was there...), but then discovered a lot about myself. Then again, Detroit is unchartered territory for me since I've never actually ventured into the city and it may prove to be more of a growing experience than moving to a safe suburb.

I'd jump on the MCW wagon if it weren't for the $10k+ difference/year (plus the additional cost of moving there and out, rent, food... when a lot of these expenses would be significantly lower near home).

Thanks for the input!

You really need to figure out if any advantage you'd get from going to MCW over Wayne is worth 40k + interest.

If you're into community service then Wayne is the place for you. They actually have a co-curricular program where you can get credit for volunteering.

Personally, I think the best aspect about Wayne is getting to be in a city like Detroit during third and fourth year. Also, Wayne is strengthening their relationship with Henry Ford which is awesome.

Also, there's really no need to be worried about your safety in Detroit. The med school is in one of the safest areas of the city. To address your other con, living close to home i.e. a good support system may actually be a plus during med school.

I turned down a top 25 school for Wayne. I'm going to be saving a ton of money, and I definitely feel like I made the right choice.

Last edited:
I am going to MCW next year and declined the interview at Wayne so can't really comment on Wayne.

Everyone above has made some solid points. Just reminding you, MCW has a pathways program and one of the pathways is 'Urban & Community Health" so I feel like you can a good amount of community service in.

I have nothing else to add other than I think MCW is an awesome school and I hope you join us!

You really need to figure out if any advantage you'd get from going to MCW over Wayne is worth 40k + interest.

If you're into community service then Wayne is the place for you. They actually have a co-curricular program where you can get credit for volunteering.

Personally, I think the best aspect about Wayne is getting to be in a city like Detroit during third and fourth year. Also, Wayne is strengthening their relationship with Henry Ford which is awesome.

Also, there's really no need to be worried about your safety in Detroit. The med school is in one of the safest areas of the city. To address your other con, living close to home i.e. a good support system may actually be a plus during med school.

I turned down a top 25 school for Wayne. I'm going to be saving a ton of money, and I definitely feel like I made the right choice.

Definitely agree on trying to justify the cost -- and honestly, a couple of hours after I posted this thread, I started to really lean more towards Wayne. A stronger relationship with Henry Ford sounds great (any possibility of extending to the West Bloomfield campus...? I'm living near there).

Thanks for the insight! I'm glad someone posted pros on Wayne!

I am going to MCW next year and declined the interview at Wayne so can't really comment on Wayne.

Everyone above has made some solid points. Just reminding you, MCW has a pathways program and one of the pathways is 'Urban & Community Health" so I feel like you can a good amount of community service in.

I have nothing else to add other than I think MCW is an awesome school and I hope you join us!

I really loved my interview experience at MCW, as well as the Pathways program, but unfortunately, I don't think I can justify the extra cost of attending the school. Thanks though, and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.