***Wayne State SOM Everything***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so we have to have a hep A and C titer? what does that involve?

Members don't see this ad.

Ohh I see now. That makes a lot more sense, thanks! So once my blood test for hep c comes back, I should be all set then. Thankfully, I have had all the other shots from volunteering in Asia, hah :) And by the way, I want to let you know that you are smarter than my doctor who was trying to figure out where I can get a Hep C vaccine ;)

Lol. Yeah I asked for a Hep C titer last year before starting MI and my physician said you don't need that. So yes I still need to get the titer done. If you want to know why they ask you to have it is that they need the number as a baseline so if you have an exposure they want to compare it to your baseline to see if you were exposed and to measure progress.

Anyway, yeah I had a lot of micro in undergrad. (Looking forward to it in August).

No you need the Hep A vaccination. It is a two-dose vaccine.
The titer is for Hep C. They draw blood and measure the antibodies to one of the Hep C antigens.

They must be changing things... I don't recall having to come up with any bloodwork for that physical.

Immunization records, but no bloodwork

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyway, yeah I had a lot of micro in undergrad. (Looking forward to it in August).

Odds are that will change.

Unless the class has changed substantially - esp the pharm aspects.

hey everyone!

Has anyone received any information for Wayne State regarding Orientation or classes? Three weeks left to go so I was wondering if there was a package that was sent out that I just never received. Also is anyone's status updated on pipeline?

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you all soon!

Well yeah memorizing antibiotic to bug is annoying but unavoidable unless they can find some better way to teach it.

Also, as for the titer I think that was changed since Hep C was on the form they wanted us to fill out and I had to get permission to register since I didn't have it done.

So I received their registration packet the other day...

Does anyone know what our schedule is like for the first year?

I know the courses we take, but from what month to what month do we take each course.........? What days/week, etc?

I hate not having any idea at all, lol

Hi, I have a question for current students. I was wondering how conflicts in the schedule is resolved. My brother is going to get married in India, and we have an exam during that time. What are things that I can do? Do professors allow a move in the exam?

Hi, I have a question for current students. I was wondering how conflicts in the schedule is resolved. My brother is going to get married in India, and we have an exam during that time. What are things that I can do? Do professors allow a move in the exam?

IIRC there was usually a second date when exams could be taken for people that had to miss it due to being sick, etc.
For your conflict I would suggest finding out who your class contact/counselor in student affairs is and start begging now for some accommodation.
:rolleyes:Or tell your brother to move either the date or location of his wedding.:rolleyes:

I have a question for all of you who know the freeways around Detroit. I was already not liking the idea of relying on the freeway into Detroit because of all the hassles I have had before. Starting July 14th, the I-96 to I-94 junction is closing, which is what I rely on to get to WSU. I understand I can take Grand Blvd. but that took a while in the past. Does anyone have any advice on roads to take to get to WSU from the I-96/I-94 exchange?

I have a question for all of you who know the freeways around Detroit. I was already not liking the idea of relying on the freeway into Detroit because of all the hassles I have had before. Starting July 14th, the I-96 to I-94 junction is closing, which is what I rely on to get to WSU. I understand I can take Grand Blvd. but that took a while in the past. Does anyone have any advice on roads to take to get to WSU from the I-96/I-94 exchange?

I don't know much about that interchange as I'm more of an I-75 or M10 kind of driver to school. Anyway, construction will be a way of life for us for the next few years just as it was last year. For pretty much the whole last semester there was the construction after 94 on 75 and the ramp to Warren was closed. So often we were better off getting off on davison and M10. Still, things can get choppy. On 75 there was a big accident by 14 mile and I was exactly 14 minutes late to the last test of first year (genetics) but you are allowed to be 15 minutes late and still take the test. So all was fine. But I had to get off 75 and take woodward all the way down. I called ahead of time to student affairs, and you better do that if you are ever going to be late for an exam.

As for you doctor2201, you better talk to student affairs before the year starts. I know they had a policy for religious observances, but you have to talk to them beforehand. I'm not sure what the policy is with your particular situation. There are always retake exams after the actual test if you have a valid reason and talk to them before.

has anyone bought textbooks yet? anyone know if the list is correct in the curriculum guide?

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone bought textbooks yet? anyone know if the list is correct in the curriculum guide?

I would suggest waiting until the AMSA used book sale (during orientation or the first couple of weeks) to do much buying.
I have said elsewhere on SDN that Rohen is a valuable anatomy atlas - you'll still need Netter but it fills a different role.
Also, make a point of finding some MS2s to talk to about what books were useful last year.

Everyone I have talked to has said not to buy any text books, so I would wait.

Hey, since everyone in this thread seems to be going to Wayne State, just wondering what their application process is like? Do they screen secondaries and just send one when you get an interview or what?

I'm sorry if there is another thread dedicated to this...

Hey, since everyone in this thread seems to be going to Wayne State, just wondering what their application process is like? Do they screen secondaries and just send one when you get an interview or what?

Wayne says they screen the AMCAS before sending out the secondary essay questions. Two required essays - pick one from each category of 3 questions. I don't know how wide of a net they cast for instate versus OOS. They also review the secondaries before granting an interview.

Question about health insurance: unless we have our own, we have to enroll in one of theirs. Is this something that needs to be added to our COA?

Last edited:
Question about health insurance: unless we have our own, we have to enroll in one of theirs. Is this something that needs to be added to our COA?

Actually the choices (at least as presented to me between MS1 and MS2) are:
1. Parents' health insurance - if you are still eligable
2. Spouse's health insurance - if you have one
3. Wayne's health insurance - at least you now have the choice of a couple of different plans
4. the door

As for adding it to the COA, you might want to speak with the folks at fin. aid to see if that has already been done or not.
IIRC within the last couple of years they made it so that you could have the health insurance premium taken out of your fin. aid check by Wayne (rather than having to pay it and then be running short on $ until the check came through from fin aid).

Podie,
In general terms, most med schools use each of the steps in the application process to "thin the herd".
Step 1: They look at all of the applications that they get from the AAMC and decide who they are going to extort $ from - opps, I mean send a secondary to.
Step 2: They'll review the secondaries to decide the smaller group that is going to get interviewed.
Step 3: They extort more $ - opps, make that request a deposit from the folks that they decide to accept.

As for secondaries, most schools will have you supply them with some additional data beyond what was in the primary and write them some additional essays - number and topics will vary.
One trick is to look for ways to reuse the essays that you write for the secondaries - usually requires a little bit of reworking but can save some time in the long run.

Any Canadians reading this thread? I have another question about health insurance.

The registration packet that we've received says that we are able to waive the Blue Cross insurance with our OHIP plan.

I've also received the International student package way back when, which says that we must buy the $829 Aetna policy (ie cannot waive with OHIP).

Am I doing the right thing by only getting the Aetna policy, and not the Blue Cross?

So I only got the Hep C titer (since I was immunized for everything else) and now they send out a message stating that we need to get titers for everything! UGH! Should I call and ask or should I just make another appt to have my blood drawn and get the rest of the titers done?

I called in and they told me that if you have proof of immunization for everything and titers for hep C and varicella, you are set. You can always call in and confirm.

i called the office of student affairs and they said only the hep c and varicella titer. then the guy called me back saying he got new information saying that we need MMR titers also. our proof of immunization is just the physical form (as long as it is filled out by the doctor).

has everyone received their orientation packets?. I live in mi and have still not received it.

Doctor2201, are you sure that your AMCAS address is correct, that is the address they mailed orientation info too. If it is, maybe it got lost in the mail. I don't think it would hurt to give them a call. I believe they went out a week ago...

MDrunner, if you have vaccines for everything but Hep C, make sure you have documentation. So if you have had a varicella vaccine, get proof that you have it and you do not need a titer. The student affairs office told me that they require a titer for it so they know whether or not you will get chickenpox when doing rounds in peds ;)

I have a question for those entering. Do you think we get supplies, books, etc. during orientation week or is that something we can drop by and get earlier (if you live close enough)? I'm still trying to figure out what size coat I would need, hah.

Also, a heads up to those of you who may need to take I-75 through Detroit...it's a mess. Thankfully, I-96 and I-94 seem to be moving fairly well in the morning.

Hi, I was considering the post-bac program at Wayne State med school. Can anyone that has completed the program or is enrolled in it right now gimme a little more info about it? For example: what kind of classes (repeating pre-med or med classes), heavy work load?, how much was the monthly stipend, any additional info that you wish someone told you before enrolling? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Does anybody have info on this program?

Good luck Canadians! I am from Vancouver, BC and was accepted to Wayne State class of 2011. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey

Im also a Canadian (from U of T)... I was wondering what were your STATs when you applied to Wayne? How was the interview experience for you?

Have any of you received word about scholarships? I was told by the office to keep waiting, but I have a feeling that's not true...

Also, they say the whole week of orientation is mandatory, but does the student affairs office give anymore specific details? like what time on what days?

Have any of you received word about scholarships? I was told by the office to keep waiting, but I have a feeling that's not true...

Also, they say the whole week of orientation is mandatory, but does the student affairs office give anymore specific details? like what time on what days?

Yeah, I was wondering about the whole orientation thing also. I called the SOM student affairs office a couple days ago and they said to just show up on Monday before 8 a.m. at Scott Hall and the receptionist will tell us where to go. Can anyone confirm this or clarify? Some Jason Bourne **** if you ask me.

^^^^^
I think they sent us more info on orientation today. And I wouldn't worry about it. You have to be zen about these kinds of things. All this administrative bullsh** will get done, and eventually we'll be knee deep in other sh**. No worries :)

I am looking forward to meeting some of you guys today at the ice cream social!!!

To WSU students: any tips on the best/fastest/cheapest way to get to campus to/from the airport (DTW)?

Um, first Class of 2013 post?

I have an interview with Wayne State in a few weeks, and even though the Interview Feedback states the interview is relatively low-key, I'm still freaking out.

Stats:
OoS (Virginia)
3.67 overall/3.4 science
>35 MCAT, but O on Writing
2 years of clinical experience (3-5 hours)
Family member on faculty

If you got the interview, obviously they thought your gpa/mcat made the cut. Just know your app...and chill. they just want to get to know you more than on paper.

I have an interview with Wayne State in a few weeks, and even though the Interview Feedback states the interview is relatively low-key, I'm still freaking out.

Stats:
OoS (Virginia)
3.67 overall/3.4 science
Family member on faculty

i have an interview in a few days (maybe i'll see you there). your stats beat mine (oos, cali, 32P, 3.49, 3.38 sci, from ucla), but i have pretty good EC's. i'd say your stats are more than good enough for wayne.

Hey all, sorry to bug you with this question. I am going nuts here waiting to hear back from med schools.

I received a secondary from Wayne and sent that in, yadda yadda. I then found out that I was placed in the 'possible interview' pile, AKA a pre-interview 'hold'.

Are my chances slim to nil? Wayne State is at the top of my list, not to mention one of my biggest chances. Please respond if you can. It would be much appreciated.

Stats:
OoS (Virginia)
3.67 overall/3.4 science
Family member on faculty

You like fine.

Hey all, sorry to bug you with this question. I am going nuts here waiting to hear back from med schools.

I received a secondary from Wayne and sent that in, yadda yadda. I then found out that I was placed in the 'possible interview' pile, AKA a pre-interview 'hold'.

Are my chances slim to nil? Wayne State is at the top of my list, not to mention one of my biggest chances. Please respond if you can. It would be much appreciated.

1. It's still very early in the interview season = be patient
2. WSU has a reputation of interviewing by decreasing MCAT score

I was complete about mid-August... placed on a "pre-interview hold" mid-September... and just received an interview invite in mid-October! Keep up hope!

Hey all, I have a great interest in Wayne State, however being out of state the finances are a bit daunting. I was wondering if anyone can give me any idea what the average indebtedness looks like specifically for OOS students, are there a number of scholarships that bring the COA number down to a more manageable number.

Thank you for any help!

Hey all, I have a great interest in Wayne State, however being out of state the finances are a bit daunting. I was wondering if anyone can give me any idea what the average indebtedness looks like specifically for OOS students, are there a number of scholarships that bring the COA number down to a more manageable number.

Thank you for any help!

Its just as bad as you think it will be. 56k x 4 yrs + 8k x 4 yrs (extreme lowball cost of living)=256k. Thats living like a poor working mother of 4 too.

Tuition completely killed this school for me.

Hey,

I received an interview for Nov 21, anyone else get that day?

The costs do seem rediculous....the letter I got said its like roughly 80k with living costs a year!!!

However...it will pay off in the end, so it is worth it!

I was complete somewhere in August as well, so I am wondering from those that found out about their pre-Interview listing - how did you find out if you were placed on this pre-interview list ???
Did you call personally?

Also, does Wayne State send out interview invitations or do they use e-mail?

Regarding the secondary application for WSU, do they require the documents to be in a specific format? I wasn't able to find any clue from the instruction they mailed me..... Please help. Thanks a lot!!

They don't specify anything. I put each essay on its own page with the prompt and my name & AMCAS. Everything else just went in the envelope.

Status
Not open for further replies.