***Wayne State SOM Everything***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to put my finances in order and finalize loans, etc.

Gah, for rizzle. my decision to attend WSU is pretty much going to depend on this. As an OOS student, Wayne is hella expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be at WSU in August, and am wondering about insurance.

I know the medical school provides it, but should I get it privately or from
the school. There are 3 plans for WSUSOM, Does anyone know the prices for these. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be at WSU in August, and am wondering about insurance.

I know the medical school provides it, but should I get it privately or from
the school. There are 3 plans for WSUSOM, Does anyone know the prices for these. Thanks

You'll read all about it at orientation. Unless you are in a group insurance with parents you must get insurance through Wayne. There's no choice.

Interesting article about going to medical school in Michigan from the Det News:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008806180336

Yeah the debt is getting crazy. This is why many people are choosing price over any kind of perceived school prestige.

Is there much activity regarding the WSU wait-list this late in the game? I'm still on the wait-list and hoping for the best, but I am constantly seeing the days tick past. Does much happen between now and Aug. 4th?

Should I start applying for next year..?

Is there much activity regarding the WSU wait-list this late in the game? I'm still on the wait-list and hoping for the best, but I am constantly seeing the days tick past. Does much happen between now and Aug. 4th?

Should I start applying for next year..?

Friend of mine got off the alt list last week. It sucks to be in the waiting game but I think you should probably get your app ready for next year and schedule an appointment with the schools you were rejected at to see why. As long as it is July/June when you submit your primary and your LORs are ready to go then you are definitely early. Wayne is slow anyway.

hey guys I just got into my top choice so I will be withdrawing from WSU. I hope one of you gets it!

I too just got into my top choice, and am withdrawing my WSU acceptance. I really loved it there and was excited to go, but as an OOS the tuition was a big factor in deciding to go elsewhere.

So to those of you on the WL, don't give up hope yet!

Hey Wayne staters, what do you think my chances are if I were to apply? I like everything I've heard about the school... I would be an OOS... My GPA is on the low end, will my MCAT make up for it?

Thanks all!

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=10328

Honestly, with that MCAT you have a good chance of getting an interview as for getting in that might be a whole different matter. As you anticipate the GPA is going to hurt you.

Some of it will depend on what the circumstances that you alluded to were, how you dealt with them, your letters and your ECs.

In the grand scheme of things I would suggest that you consider some additional course work (post-bacch, masters, etc) to address the GPA issue.

However, that being said the only thing lost by appling this cycle with those numbers is possibly some $. And what is lost by not applying could be an acceptance letter (since the applicant pool is getting more competitive every year)

Thanks Oldjeeps,

I am actually beginning the Georgetown SMP this Fall in order to address the GPA issue... So hopefully that will help!

I appreciate you thoughts on my odds, I think I will definitely apply to Wayne State :)

Honestly, with that MCAT you have a good chance of getting an interview as for getting in that might be a whole different matter. As you anticipate the GPA is going to hurt you.

Some of it will depend on what the circumstances that you alluded to were, how you dealt with them, your letters and your ECs.

In the grand scheme of things I would suggest that you consider some additional course work (post-bacch, masters, etc) to address the GPA issue.

However, that being said the only thing lost by appling this cycle with those numbers is possibly some $. And what is lost by not applying could be an acceptance letter (since the applicant pool is getting more competitive every year)

DrJD, i know someone that got into Wayne with a 2.7 and 35, so i think you have a good shot. Kill the interview and you will be good. And Detroit is not as bad as everyone says ;)

DrJD, i know someone that got into Wayne with a 2.7 and 35, so i think you have a good shot. Kill the interview and you will be good. And Detroit is not as bad as everyone says ;)

Awesome!!! Thanks Nibby! Good to know that Detroit isn't as bad as everyone says, because the school sounds great!

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently turned down an acceptance also, should be another spot opening up for one of you guys.

Just wanted to say thank you to whoever it was that gave me their spot :) You have just made me very happy!

I do have a question for you all. I live in Livonia and I once commuted to WSU for a summer class and I absolutely hated the commute (it was during the Freeway Revamp for the superbowl...traffic was awful). I know Livonia is close-ish and free rent would be great, but what do you think about living closer to campus? If you think closer to campus, what are some good places to look at? Would the WSU office help to find a place, maybe with another student as well, at this late of a time?

Thanks!

Sorry, duplicate

Last edited:
omg livonia was too far??? my parents are practically forcing me to stay at home and make the commute from rochester hills!! O_O this sounds like it will be the death of me..
i was thinking about finding an apt in royal oak, but that's about the same distance to detroit as livonia. how long would you say the commute was from your place??

From where I am, it takes between 35 minutes on a really good day (clear traffic on 96 and 94) to 50 minutes on a busy day. During the I-96 overhaul three years ago, it took over an hour...

Like I said, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I see it as wasting an hour, hour and a half each day that I could be studying with. However, how that compares with the cost difference, I'm not sure.

For anyone that might be interested, I know that my former landlord is looking to sell or rent the house that I was in (now I just need to finish getting settled in for residency).
It is located in Grosse Pointe Park, near the Grosse Pointe Park - Detroit line and was a relatively short and easy commute to WSU-SOM, the DMC, and St. John's.
As memory serves it was about 10 miles drive to Scott Hall which depending on route, time of day, etc could be as little as 15-20 min each way.

FWIW I enjoyed the Grosse Pointes and they have the added benefit of haing multiple routes downtown (for avoiding freeway construction, etc).

If anyone thinks they might be interested, drop me a line and I can get you more details and get you in contact with my former landlord.

I'm living in Northville for the first year so my girlfriend and I could split the driving distance for the 2 of us (she will be commuting to Ann Arbor). I guess this means I will be taking 96 in to Detroit. How long of a commute will it be? Ive heard a wide range (25-60 min) and was wondering what a realistic figure should be. How is construction these days?

I'm living in Northville for the first year so my girlfriend and I could split the driving distance for the 2 of us (she will be commuting to Ann Arbor). I guess this means I will be taking 96 in to Detroit. How long of a commute will it be? Ive heard a wide range (25-60 min) and was wondering what a realistic figure should be. How is construction these days?

Good friends of my family live in Northville and I've driven from their house to Wayne numerous times. It takes me 25-30 mins depending on how crowded traffic is on 6 mile getting to the freeway. An hour is just unrealistic, unless you head to Detroit during rush hour. It's not a bad drive at all.

Good friends of my family live in Northville and I've driven from their house to Wayne numerous times. It takes me 25-30 mins depending on how crowded traffic is on 6 mile getting to the freeway. An hour is just unrealistic, unless you head to Detroit during rush hour. It's not a bad drive at all.

Im living on 8 mile about 2 min from 275. I like what I'm hearing about the drive :)

From where I am, it takes between 35 minutes on a really good day (clear traffic on 96 and 94) to 50 minutes on a busy day. During the I-96 overhaul three years ago, it took over an hour...

Like I said, I'm trying to figure out what to do. I see it as wasting an hour, hour and a half each day that I could be studying with. However, how that compares with the cost difference, I'm not sure.

If i was u i would stay in livonia, if u stay there for free. If you hav e to rent then u would have to pay more money or get more loans, i dont think that would be smart at all. BESIDES LIVONIA IS VERY CLOSE TO DETROIT. your talking about a good 20- 25 minute (35 min MAXXX) drive to detroit. Id rather spend one hour driving each day, then accumulating hundreds of hundreds of money in debt (perhaps) bec of rent. That is just my personal opinion tho. Good luck to u..

From northville it would probbaly take u (dropping ur gf then commuting to ur school) about 35 to 45 minutes. just make sure u guys leave an hour early each time just incase of traffic. Good luck...:thumbup:

Does anyone know when the traffic is the worst on 75 coming from the northern suburbs? I hate rush hour traffic like i go crazy....so either i wanna wake up and leave before it even if it means waking up at like 5 am or I am hoping classes start like at 10 so i could leave at 930. If anyone has like detailed info on this stuff please let me know.

I appreciate it and cant wait to see you all in the fall
Cheifsaab out

Does anyone know when the traffic is the worst on 75 coming from the northern suburbs? I hate rush hour traffic like i go crazy....so either i wanna wake up and leave before it even if it means waking up at like 5 am or I am hoping classes start like at 10 so i could leave at 930. If anyone has like detailed info on this stuff please let me know.

I appreciate it and cant wait to see you all in the fall
Cheifsaab out

I take I-75 from 14 mile to Wayne right now and it takes me 20 minutes when I leave at 8:30am. The absolute worst right now is the 696/75 interchange because of the lane closures on 75. Normally 14 mile until 12 mile can be slow but it has not been bad.

anyone still waiting for their financial aid package? cause i am!!! i'm getting a little antsy for it.. :scared: and the financial aid office keeps telling me that it should be ready "soon".. whatever that means

Is anyone attending the prematriculation program starting on July 28th? Could anyone give me an idea of what the program is about? THANKS!!

Is anyone attending the prematriculation program starting on July 28th? Could anyone give me an idea of what the program is about? THANKS!!

I did not even hear about this? What is it?

is there anything else we have to do besides complete the fafsa for fin aid?

is there anything else we have to do besides complete the fafsa for fin aid?

For all of you worried about your financial aid - call the fin aid office!

I was wondering the same thing a couple weeks ago and after one call to a very nice lady in the office, she immidiately released my package and I was good to go! I now have all 50,000+ :scared: (gulp!) in loans taken out for the year

I did not even hear about this? What is it?

I'm not sure exactly what it is. I thought that maybe someone on here would know. All I know is that it runs 9-4 July 28th-August 1st, and there are limited spots so I registered for it. I'm sure we'll get more details later. I went to Wayne for undergrad and they do EVERYTHING last minute.

So I may have answered my own post. Apparently only some students were invited (my friend was invited and told me about it. I hadn't heard about it until then and had to call and ask for a spot) so that's why I don't know all of the details. He explained that he had a low science GPA and thought they may have invited him because of that.

Does anyone know if this program will be helpful if I have an above average science GPA and MCAT score??

I was wondering the same thing a couple weeks ago and after one call to a very nice lady in the office, she immidiately released my package and I was good to go! I now have all 50,000+ :scared: (gulp!) in loans taken out for the year

I tried calling about a week or two ago and was told they were taking care of 3rd and 4th years first so I should wait a week or two. I think I am going to try and call again tomorrow.

wow that sucks that everyone's still waiting for financially aid. must be super stressful not knowing if you'll have money for school and life O_O........ what the hell is wrong with the fin aid office?!

oh, is anyone still looking for roommates? and for people who have found apts/housing, how many roommates do people have? me and my friend are thinking about looking for another two people, but it seems like finding a nice place with 4 bedrooms is a little tough...

yea, i've called them 3 times at least. i think perhaps they just dont like me :laugh:

Like people said earlier, you should give em a call. I did and they released my fin aid instantly over the phone. There really isn't much to their financial aid package, you get the sub and unsub stafford, and some get the board of governors money. But yeah, Wayne is extremely slow with everything, and they tend to forget you exist if you don't call a billion times.

omg livonia was too far??? my parents are practically forcing me to stay at home and make the commute from rochester hills!! O_O this sounds like it will be the death of me..
i was thinking about finding an apt in royal oak, but that's about the same distance to detroit as livonia. how long would you say the commute was from your place??

It's not that bad. I did it all first year and I still live at home in Rochester Hills. On most days I was also able to carpool with my fiancee who is an undergrad at Wayne. Just make sure you have a car that is fuel efficient.

FYI, most people stream lectures anyway from home so you don't have to go to the morning lectures anyway. Plus, when you don't have labs you don't have to drive down to school at all. After Anatomy/Histo is done you won't have to be at school that much until the very end of the year with neuro/genetics.

Hey everyone...The last time i talked to the Financial aid office they said i could expect a loan offer like rite b4 orientation....i had everything turned in like by like March
Are they fo real?

I swear i dont think imma have any money to pay for medical school....
Its all good i could always work at Mcdonalds my whole life....free fries i heard....

Sorry guys just wanted to release some frustration...

You guys need to relax. Trust me you will get all the money you need. Make sure you go on pipeline and have completed all of the required documents/lender selection in the financial aid section. Until you select a lender the finaid office can't do anything for you.

You won't get your loan money until around orientation. If you need something to tie you over use a credit card or borrow from family and make sure you pay it off when you get your loan disbursement.

FYI, if you are still looking for a lender go with discover. They are the only ones I know of that are still giving out loans with no fees up front. www.discoverstudentloans.com. I'm an assistant mod in the financial aid forum here and if you need help post there or PM me.

anyone moving in the next couple of weeks? i am trying to find a place now and i suddenly realized that i only have 2 weeks until my lease ends in ann arbor. august is creeping up faster than i thought!

I just got a house in Ferndale...we move in August first! I guess I will be unpacking like crazy during orientation week!! This summer has gone by fast..I still need to get my physical done! :eek:

i'm signing a lease for a house in ferndale tomorrow. where are you? i'm on mcdowell

ooh man.. i am almost signed on a lease too.. and also i just checked my finaid stuff on pipeline today and the govt wants to give me money!!! ahahahhaha this is fun...........

are you guys living by yourselves or with roommates at wayne too?

I am going to be on East Marshall street! I just did the home inspection today!!

I will be living with my husband (this is our first house!!!) so no roommates for me.

I have a question, perhaps a dumb one...

On the physical, there is a section for vaccinations, one of which is Hep C, however, I thought that there is no Hep C vaccine...Am I out of the loop or is this something that shouldn't be bothering me?

I have a question, perhaps a dumb one...

On the physical, there is a section for vaccinations, one of which is Hep C, however, I thought that there is no Hep C vaccine...Am I out of the loop or is this something that shouldn't be bothering me?

You are correct. There is no Hep C vaccination. However, there is a new pdf version of the physical form and it is a little more clear on what they want, although the form is still pretty confusing. The new form says that WSU requires that you get a Hep C titer not a vaccine. It doesn't say whether or not we need titers for all of the other immunizations.

I believe Hep C is the only titer you need. Though I haven't even given them my titer I had a couple years ago and they still let me register for YI registration last year. I didn't get it because I was too lazy to go back to Henry Ford. I'll probably just get a new titer done.

Ohh I see now. That makes a lot more sense, thanks! So once my blood test for hep c comes back, I should be all set then. Thankfully, I have had all the other shots from volunteering in Asia, hah :) And by the way, I want to let you know that you are smarter than my doctor who was trying to figure out where I can get a Hep C vaccine ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.