***Wayne State SOM Everything***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

just wanted to let you know.. for anyone who is waiting to hear...

I will be withdrawing this week.
I am Canadian and was accepted to a Quebec medical school which will cost me around 4000$ a year, a savings of about 51,000$ a year.

Needless to say, my decision was not very difficult.
Good luck to you all in your careers ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

just wanted to let you know.. for anyone who is waiting to hear...

I will be withdrawing this week.
I am Canadian and was accepted to a Quebec medical school which will cost me around 4000$ a year, a savings of about 51,000$ a year.

Needless to say, my decision was not very difficult.
Good luck to you all in your careers ;)

Congrats Dan!

I also got accepted to a Canadian school so I will be withdrawing from Wayne soon.

I really hope this opens up a couple of spots to those on the alternate list!

does anyone know approximately how many people are on the alternate list still?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i just withdrew from wayne, hope someone here gets to go to this fantastic place

So I got accepted on the 12th (5/12) and I haven't received any financial aid packages yet. I want to get all my finances in place and I was wondering how long it usually take for these things to come out. I have my pipeline login and password so I have my account all set up at this time.

When can I expect to get something? Does WSU usually award all Stafford loans or will I need a grad plus?

Depends what your cost of attendance will be on whether Stafford will cover everything. The office can take a long time, but it can't hurt to call them. Do you have any outstanding requirements on pipeline for financial aid?

has anyone heard anything from wayne lately? People have been withdrawing but no one has said anything about being accepted

im still waiting to hear too....

For everyone else still waiting, the office told me the last day they accept people is August 4 (is that right before their orientation??).

Do Some People Go To The Golf Outing Not Knowing How To Play Golf? I Don't Want To Be The Only One. Btw, How Important Is The Golf Outing In Meeting People? Is It Worth Going Regardless?

Do Some People Go To The Golf Outing Not Knowing How To Play Golf? I Don't Want To Be The Only One. Btw, How Important Is The Golf Outing In Meeting People? Is It Worth Going Regardless?

When and where is said golf outing?

Members don't see this ad :)
fyi, the golf outing was May 10th.

I was offered acceptance on 5/29/2008 :):):):):):soexcited::):):):)!!!!! Detroit here I come!

I finally withdrew from Wayne State. This was one hard decision to make and I knew I couldn't hold on any longer to a wonderful school. May someone else get the good news soon because this is one great school.

:thumbup: Good luck.

Anyone else notice that Wayne State's website is always really slow? Or is it just me?

I got the call last wednesday!!!! Im soo happy... My top choice!

How long does it take for them to give out financial aid information? Its been a month and I'm starting to worry

How long does it take for them to give out financial aid information? Its been a month and I'm starting to worry

They should have sent finaid info a few days after your initial acceptance letter. Basically, you get info to log into http://pipeline.wayne.edu (You need an accessID and a password to login to pipeline). A WSU ID also comes with this letter, but you don't need it for pipeline. Once you are logged in, it's pretty easy to figure out.

If you didn't get this in the mail, call up admissions and they should be able to help.:thumbup:

hey guys,

i just got accepted to wayne med. I am from maryland so dont really have any idea about housing in detroit. Does anyone know where med students generally prefer to live?

thanks

hey guys,

i just got accepted to wayne med. I am from maryland so dont really have any idea about housing in detroit. Does anyone know where med students generally prefer to live?

thanks

Most students live in Royal Oak..though with gas prices some of the apartments and condos in Detroit are looking rather nice! ;)

Hmm.... I have been on pipeline several times and they just list the cost of tuition. I need their stafford loan stuff (MPN ect.) Sounds like I have some calling to do tomorrow!

Any Detroit/WSU folks here know anything about Corktown and/or Lafayette Park? It's a pretty open ended question, just curious about your impressions. Thanks!

So I got accepted on the 12th (5/12) and I haven't received any financial aid packages yet. I want to get all my finances in place and I was wondering how long it usually take for these things to come out. I have my pipeline login and password so I have my account all set up at this time.

When can I expect to get something? Does WSU usually award all Stafford loans or will I need a grad plus?

Wayne hasn't sent me my financial aid package yet and I was accepted at least a couple months ago, also. I called the office and they said they had received all of my forms and to just wait. So... I guess they're just slow.

Any Detroit/WSU folks here know anything about Corktown and/or Lafayette Park? It's a pretty open ended question, just curious about your impressions. Thanks!

For what it's worth: I've visited Lafayette Park once and will probably end up living there (lafayette towers or the pavilion). Lafayette towers seems fairly safe...the whole complex didn't appear to be gated...but...I've heard that a good number of med students live here, and a friend of mine that lives there said she's always felt safe. Keycards to get in the buildings. Parking garage available for ~50/month; parking lot spot for ~20/month. The apartments are unimpressive, but the location is good (8-10 minute drive to campus) and the price is reasonable (small studio starts at 500/month). Although I haven't visited the Pavilion (formerly Lafayette Pavilion), looking at their website, it seems very similar to Lafayette Towers and I'm pretty sure med students tend to live there too.

Don't know anything about Corktown.

Hope that helps.

Does anyone know what the requirements are for the "pocket pc/mobile web device" at Wayne State? If you look at the Financial aid it is factored into the costs for the first year.

http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/financial_aid/costs.asp

The reason I ask is I am going to get a new phone soon and didn't want to buy a phone and then have to get a different one in a couple of months once class starts. I'd just assume get the right thing the first time and save myself some cash.

Wayne hasn't sent me my financial aid package yet and I was accepted at least a couple months ago, also. I called the office and they said they had received all of my forms and to just wait. So... I guess they're just slow.

I called today and talked to a nice lady in financial aid and within 5 min I had been awarded aid! I'm disappointed that the amount of coverage I got is for 42,722 when they say the cost is 52,179 :(. I was hoping that stafford loans would cover all of it, so it looks like I'll need the grad plus. Is this common for everyone?

I just wanted to let you guys know that I withdrew from Wayne State last week (Tuesday 6/3) after I got into Loyola. I really liked Wayne, but as an OOS, it was just TOO expensive, and Loyola is going to be much cheaper to begin with and I got a better financial package. Hopefully someone on here got my spot. Good luck to all of you starting in August! I know you guys will do great things.

Does anyone know what the requirements are for the "pocket pc/mobile web device" at Wayne State? If you look at the Financial aid it is factored into the costs for the first year.

http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/financial_aid/costs.asp

The reason I ask is I am going to get a new phone soon and didn't want to buy a phone and then have to get a different one in a couple of months once class starts. I'd just assume get the right thing the first time and save myself some cash.

Don't buy a pocket pc or anything right now. You won't need it until 3rd year. My fiancée got me one before school started last year and I had to have her return it because there was no reason to have one now.

Don't buy a pocket pc or anything right now. You won't need it until 3rd year. My fiancée got me one before school started last year and I had to have her return it because there was no reason to have one now.

Agreed!

Do not buy anything like that until you absolutely need to.
Since you probably won't need it until MS3 why get it now so that it can be old and slow by the time that you do need it.

IF you are still on waitlist----Please keep call and send letter to admisson office.

My friend recieived call from WSU/DREXEL AND TEMPLE TODAY . ALL CALL CAME TODAY. FIRST ACCEPTANCE . He was going to start reapplying starting Monday. Please call and keep sending letter to admisson office.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL WATING FOR ADMISSON--- Keep faith in GOD
THANKS.. MSU 2012:):):):):):):):)

Agreed!

Do not buy anything like that until you absolutely need to.
Since you probably won't need it until MS3 why get it now so that it can be old and slow by the time that you do need it.

Do you know if Wayne has a laptop preference for us? I know some schools have a certain model they like but I don't remember reading anything like that about Wayne.

Do you know if Wayne has a laptop preference for us? I know some schools have a certain model they like but I don't remember reading anything like that about Wayne.

Having recently talked with a couple students, I was told that *if you need a new computer to get something with a big screen. This was for the sole purpose of watching lectures online with a bigger picture. It was also NOT recommended to buy a tablet PC, as Wayne will apparently give us all of the note packs in paper.

Hope this helps

Your paper notes are printed with your tuition money so don't get a tablet.

As for a laptop in general even 13.3" screens of a Macbook are fine (especially if you pay the few bucks for quicktime pro to go full screen).

I had a computer that was 6-7 years old. Watching lectures on it was horrendous and I had to upgrade. (Was going to anyway).

Wayne does not care what if any laptop you have. One thing to remember is that if you save your receipt, you can have your financial aid budget increased so you can have extra loan money to pay for it (though that means more loans... but an extra 1-2K on top of 100-250K... not a big deal :)

PS don't forget to relax and enjoy one of your last summers. Spend tonight making sure you have everything filled out for wayne and then absolutely forget about school until you start. Don't read a dang book; don't do anything but chillax!:hardy:

Anyone have any advice on finding a place to live in the Royal Oak area? Where is a good place to start looking? I am heading there next weekend to look for a place, and was curious if anyone has any suggestions. Are there any specific apt complexes that are popular with Wayne med students? I have been looking online ie. craigslist, rent.com. Anyone know popular realtors in the area to call for showings? Thanks for the help.

Recently heard that Wayne state lost its contract with DMC and MSU has signed a new contract with DMC. This would limit the Wayne state students to very few hospitals that are not with DMC? Is this true, has anyone else heard this and how will it impact the new applicants?

yes, they signed a contract with MSU -- and with the DO school, to be more specific (I believe. though, I could be wrong).

However, from MY understanding on the issue, it is not that wayne students will have access to less hospitals for rotations, but there may be less spots offered in the DMC hospitals for wayne students than in the past (if that makes sense).

all in all, i do not think you should worry -- if you are going to wayne, it is a great program, with a tremendous reputation throughout the state, as well as the country for their medical program.

Recently heard that Wayne state lost its contract with DMC and MSU has signed a new contract with DMC. This would limit the Wayne state students to very few hospitals that are not with DMC? Is this true, has anyone else heard this and how will it impact the new applicants?

Ok, so I'm gonna weigh in on the situation, becuse this was a huge issue in my decision to attend Wayne next year. I have spent a lot of time talking to current and former med-students and residents as well as watching the news closely to try and find out exactly what is going on with Wayne/DMC relationship. Sorry about turning my response into a novel, but I thought all of this info was important when I was deciding where to go and there was no single source that I was able to gather it from. (2nd paragraph answers that original question) I eventually settled on the fact that although I may have to deal with some additional headaches from a strained relationship with the DMC, the quality of clinical education at Wayne will be fine regardless, so I will be attending next fall.

First off I am going to say that the Wayne DMC relationship is strained. The root of the problem is that DMC is a hospital as well as a business, but as a hospital that serves a largely poor uninsured population making money can be difficult. Wayne State is an academic medical instituion, and as a school its primary goals are research and education oriented and not neccisarily towards making money. With these conflicting goals there are certainly issues between the DMC and Wayne that leave some doubt about the stability of the school. Even if Wayne were to lose the DMC as a partner, Wayne still has relationships with many other hospitals in the area to send students to (Henry Ford, Beaumont, St. Johns, etc.) However, there is bound to be some uncertainty over the next few years regardless. To give you a better idea of the feelings - all of the signs and logos, etc used to say DMC/Wayne State - they now say only DMC.

Now regarding the MSU med students, the MSU Osteopath school is going to open a campus at the DMC in 2009. They're planning on putting 50 students there - some think that this may add to the problem, as Wayne is pissed about this, and I've gotten the impression that DMC CEO Mike Duggan is allowing MSU to come in, as a way to tell Wayne that they don't need them.

The situation with the DMC is getting worse not better. Recently, the DMC just forced the laying off of a bunch of Wayne people with some shady moves. The politics of all this make the working environment in the DMC hospitals a little stressful - the residents and students are feeling the effects, by losing call rooms, etc. An unexpected result is the quality of the residents training here - using Surgery as an example, they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel last year to fill the intern class, they think that this is due to the DMC/Wayne uncertainty. That affects med-students because a bad intern just means a lot more work for the student. (For more info read these articles http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080605/BUSINESS06/806050340/1019 and http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/SUB/806090302/1069)

Lastly, as a result of an uncertain relationship the University is looking to solidify there relationships with various hospitals. One way of doing this is to sign contracts that gaurantee med-students rotate at a certain location for a certain amount of time. So starting in 2009 all 3rd year rotations will be done at a single hospital. I personally find drawbacks in this because many students chose Wayne specifically for the urban medicine aspect and may get stuck in the suburbs for their entire 3rd year. Similarly you will only see things done one way at one hospital. Each hospital offers very different atmospheres and methods, which is valuable when it comes to choosing where to do a residency.

So when all was said and done. Wayne is a good school that offers great training, but there is some uncertainty in the future.

I'm trying to put my finances in order and finalize loans, etc. I have heard from last years M1s that scholarship offers (if you are given one) are usually mailed out around this time of year. Have most people received them? Are scholarships generally easy or difficult to get?

I'm trying to put my finances in order and finalize loans, etc. I have heard from last years M1s that scholarship offers (if you are given one) are usually mailed out around this time of year. Have most people received them? Are scholarships generally easy or difficult to get?

I believe the private scholarships (through Wayne Alumni and such) are not distributed until end of July/August..then financial aid just adjusts your loans accordingly. Merit scholarships (and don't quote me on this) have gone out already..since so few of them are offered anyways. When I talked to the financial aid lady she said they were trying to get 3rd and 4th years in order since they start July 1st and we should expect our packages in the next two weeks. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.