WashU c/o 2010 (official)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

Fourth year here. We did awesome in the match this year - best in ten years!

I have some old, but still possibly useful first year books that I refuse to move to my new house. If anyone is in STL, they are yours free of charge if you will please come get them before May 1.

If you have questions, let me know. I absolutely adore my med school, and could not imagine having gone anywhere else.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2006match63.doc
    49 KB · Views: 174
wow... 8 orthos, 9 anesth, 3 derm, 8 rad :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
lorarp said:
Hey all,

Fourth year here. We did awesome in the match this year - best in ten years!

I have some old, but still possibly useful first year books that I refuse to move to my new house. If anyone is in STL, they are yours free of charge if you will please come get them before May 1.

If you have questions, let me know. I absolutely adore my med school, and could not imagine having gone anywhere else.

Thanks so much!

hey so am i the only one who still doesn't know how much money we're getting?

I know, mine has been on the website for a couple weeks at least and I got it in the mail at my home address over easter break.

how many of you guys are already set on a school? i can't even decide what i want for dinner, how am i going to make this choice????? where's my magic 8 ball?... are all the hot guys who swing my way going to be at wash u? *shake shake shake* "cannot predict now" wtf? *dies*

kirexhana said:
how many of you guys are already set on a school? i can't even decide what i want for dinner, how am i going to make this choice????? where's my magic 8 ball?... are all the hot guys who swing my way going to be at wash u? *shake shake shake* "cannot predict now" wtf? *dies*
What are you going to do if you get there and all of the hot guys are straight??? ;)

QofQuimica said:
What are you going to do if you get there and all of the hot guys are straight??? ;)

All the hot guys are NEVER straight :)

Rex, I have no clue about money either. Probably because I turned in my finaid stuff during the last week.

I know how much money I'm getting, but only because I'm international and we get a big. fat. 0. :rolleyes:

Rex, I vote that you come to Wash U! There, surely the decision should be easy now. :D

stherling said:
I know how much money I'm getting, but only because I'm international and we get a big. fat. 0. :rolleyes:

Rex, I vote that you come to Wash U! There, surely the decision should be easy now. :D

omg that SUCKS... well if stherling really wants me to go, then i guess i'll just have to kiss my 8ball good riddance. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
kirexhana said:

I am so far from knowing it's not even funny. Stressssssssssssssss!

browniegirl86 said:
I am so far from knowing it's not even funny. Stressssssssssssssss!

See browniegirl, I think you should come to Wash U too! Otherwise, how will I ever figure out who you are? But nooooooo, you guys won't let me simplify your decision for you... :p

hehe seriously though -- if you're that torn, you probably can't make a wrong decision, so don't stress out so much! I bet you'll feel much better after the UCSF 2nd Look this weekend.... and if you're still unsure after that, flip a coin and get it over with! It feels so good once you've decided and can start planning and being excited about a specific place.... :cool:

stherling said:
See browniegirl, I think you should come to Wash U too! Otherwise, how will I ever figure out who you are? But nooooooo, you guys won't let me simplify your decision for you... :p

hehe seriously though -- if you're that torn, you probably can't make a wrong decision, so don't stress out so much! I bet you'll feel much better after the UCSF 2nd Look this weekend.... and if you're still unsure after that, flip a coin and get it over with! It feels so good once you've decided and can start planning and being excited about a specific place.... :cool:

I hope so. I've been lashing out at my friends lately from all the ambient stress. :smuggrin:

browniegirl86 said:
I hope so. I've been lashing out at my friends lately from all the ambient stress. :smuggrin:

i think what's worse is that i have a bajillion other waitlists, a few that i'm actually considering so... there's SO MUCH UNCERTAINTY... :scared:

kirexhana said:
i think what's worse is that i have a bajillion other waitlists, a few that i'm actually considering so... there's SO MUCH UNCERTAINTY... :scared:

:(

For better or worse, we'll know this time next month!

browniegirl86 said:
:(

For better or worse, we'll know this time next month!

ok wash u is giving me like... nothing... $3800 guttman scholarship... the rest is loans and family contribution. that'.... hold on.... 50k+.... *sigh*

Guys, after all the soul-searching and stressing out, I have finally chosen . . .

. . .

. . .

UCSF! It was tough but the second look there solidified it for me.

I'll keep up with this thread though because I DO really want to know where you all end up. So keep me posted.

well, :( for us, but I'm sure you'll have a great time at UCSF :) All the best with everything!

stherling said:
well, :( for us, but I'm sure you'll have a great time at UCSF :) All the best with everything!

You too! It really was tough but UCSF just has everything I want. It's so nice to know now. :D

browniegirl86 said:
You too! It really was tough but UCSF just has everything I want. It's so nice to know now. :D

Hey, browniegirl-- I'm glad you figured out what you wanted. I'm sure you'll do awesome. You make all us state schoolers proud!

browniegirl86 said:

I told you so. :D

QofQuimica said:
Ditto. I know it was a hard decision for you, Brownie, but you'll have a great time at UCSF. :luck:

oh man, first it's no money from wash u, then i lose my *** hag. i think signs are pointing me towards duke... :rolleyes:

So I am going to ask a dumb question to ease my mind. All the WashU scholarships have been sent out, right? If I wasn't invited to interview for a full scholarship or apply for one other than the ones you have to interview for, there is no chance I will be getting a full scholarship? I want to go ahead and withdraw to hopefully give someone else a chance of getting in soon, but I don't want to screw myself out of any scholarship opportunities. I am pretty sure I did not get any scholarship. Can anyone back me up on this? Thanks!

I would say that's accurate, but I'm hardly an expert on wash u's financial policies. That said, the only full scholarships I'm aware of had applications due on Feb 1 (Olin), one month after your acceptance, or required an MSTP application.

UTpremed said:
So I am going to ask a dumb question to ease my mind. All the WashU scholarships have been sent out, right? If I wasn't invited to interview for a full scholarship or apply for one other than the ones you have to interview for, there is no chance I will be getting a full scholarship? I want to go ahead and withdraw to hopefully give someone else a chance of getting in soon, but I don't want to screw myself out of any scholarship opportunities. I am pretty sure I did not get any scholarship. Can anyone back me up on this? Thanks!

Yea, unfortunately i'm afraid that they gave all the full-tuition scholarships out, and they were only given to people who had been invited for the interview. That said, you can always wait until ~May 15 if you want to be safe (I'm pretty certain there won't be any waitlist movement until after May 15 at most schools and so you're not hurting anyone by doing so).

So have you decided on Duke? I still haven't got a clue where I'm going, but I'll be sure to post and let y'all know when I decide.

UTpremed said:

they sent out "it's ok we still love you, even though you're not THAT talented" letters to the scholarship rejectees. did you get the memo?

kirexhana said:
oh man, first it's no money from wash u, then i lose my *** hag. i think signs are pointing me towards duke... :rolleyes:

Oh honey. That just means you have to come visit me in SF. In the gay capital of America.

That doesn't sound so bad, right? :oops:

browniegirl86 said:
Oh honey. That just means you have to come visit me in SF. In the gay capital of America.

That doesn't sound so bad, right? :oops:

yea... the only thing that can tear me away from duke is UCSF. cuz if SF is the gay capital of america, durham would be the gay podunk of america. now, let's see about that waitlist come may 15th. ;)

kirexhana said:
yea... the only thing that can tear me away from duke is UCSF. cuz if SF is the gay capital of america, durham would be the gay podunk of america. now, let's see about that waitlist come may 15th. ;)

I'm SO pulling for you. If I had any influence I'd use it.

Well, in the wake of losing kirexhana and browniegirl, I guess I wanted to bring good news into the thread and tell stherling, justbreathe, and everyone else who's matriculating at Wash U that I've just decided within the last hour that I'm definitely going to be at WUSTL next year! So what's up, buuuuudies?

Keg said:
Well, in the wake of losing kirexhana and browniegirl, I guess I wanted to bring good news into the thread and tell stherling, justbreathe, and everyone else who's matriculating at Wash U that I've just decided within the last hour that I'm definitely going to be at WUSTL next year! So what's up, buuuuudies?

SWEET! Welcome aboard :D

Keg said:

Congrats on choosing! You'll have a great time at WashU. :thumbup:

Keg said:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm i don't think you've COMPLETELY lost me. still wondering about life in st. louis vs. durham, that's for sure. this is SOOOOOO HARD. i can't believe may 15th is just around the corner.

Hey guys, when are our final transcripts due? And was there a form that had to be sent in with it? All my Wash U stuff is at work and I won't be back at work till Monday (surprise visit from mother.... sneakily timed for mother's day I suspect...). I only ask because there's all this hubbub over in pre-allo about May 15 and having to send in transcripts and whatnots.

And rex... I thought you'd settled on Duke! but hey, if you haven't.... COME TO WASH U! :)

sorry guys, i was wavering for a few days, but i just turned in my withdrawal letter to wash u on monday.. :( but you guys will have a blast without me anyway :)

kirexhana said:
sorry guys, i was wavering for a few days, but i just turned in my withdrawal letter to wash u on monday.. :( but you guys will have a blast without me anyway :)
Good luck at Duke, kirex. :)

It's too bad we can't have all of the cool SDN people all go to one med school together. That would be awesome. :thumbup: What would an SDN medical school be like?

Does anyone know if WashU offers deals on new computers or recommends a certain type of computer? How about PDAs? Would it be useful to get one before third year?

There are deals on computers. They should send you something about that; if not (or if you need it earlier) you can email the ITLS staff who will gladly help you out. (I'd look you up a link but I'm not at all sure I'd be able to find the right one.)

They've been recommending Tablet PCs; I don't know if they'll continue to do so for next year or not but I assume so. I think maybe 10-15% of our class got them. They are kind of cool but definitely not necessary; I ended up getting a different laptop because I liked it better and had a good discount through a friend.

A PDA would only be useful if you are the kind of person who would use one normally. They do provide the class schedule in a format so you can download it onto your PDA, so it could be nice for calendaring. A few people have them and seem to enjoy them, but I'm not sure what else they use them for.

lorelei said:
There are deals on computers. They should send you something about that; if not (or if you need it earlier) you can email the ITLS staff who will gladly help you out. (I'd look you up a link but I'm not at all sure I'd be able to find the right one.)

They've been recommending Tablet PCs; I don't know if they'll continue to do so for next year or not but I assume so. I think maybe 10-15% of our class got them. They are kind of cool but definitely not necessary; I ended up getting a different laptop because I liked it better and had a good discount through a friend.

A PDA would only be useful if you are the kind of person who would use one normally. They do provide the class schedule in a format so you can download it onto your PDA, so it could be nice for calendaring. A few people have them and seem to enjoy them, but I'm not sure what else they use them for.

Thanks! I guess I'll hold off for now, I'm not in a big rush.

hey guys just so you know, unless you already use a PDA, don't buy one for med school. WashU is so cool that they are requiring PDAs during clinical years (starting this year), and you know what that means, the school issues them to you!! You can buy them at the end of the year or you can return it (which is the smart thing to do with the current rate of obsolescence)

I think they issue Palms, not Pocket PCs.

OK, a question. Browsing through the WUSTL site, I saw that the first year was changed to p/f upon student petition. Has there been a similar petition for changing second year grading from hon/hp/p/f to straight p/f, and if not, do any of my future classmates have any interest in getting that changed?

Keg said:
OK, a question. Browsing through the WUSTL site, I saw that the first year was changed to p/f upon student petition. Has there been a similar petition for changing second year grading from hon/hp/p/f to straight p/f, and if not, do any of my future classmates have any interest in getting that changed?

I remember having a discussion about this with someone @ WashU, although I can't remember the details, but it was somewhere along the line that this had already been done (or may be the initial petition was for two years p/f, but they settled on one?). Regardless of details, the short story is some students tried to get the second year P/F at some point and it didn't go through. You could always try again, though, or try for H/P/F.

Does anyone know how Mac-friendly WashU is? I'm considering purchasing a MacBook...

Can anyone tell me what the recommended stethoscope is for Wash U?

Thanks.

mitsui said:
Can anyone tell me what the recommended stethoscope is for Wash U?

Thanks.

There's no recommended stethoscope. A lot of people get the Littman 3M, I think. At the beginning of the year, they have an equipment fair for the first years at which they tell you all the equipment you'll need and I think offer discount prices. You might want to wait for that.