WashU c/o 2010 (official)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? Parents are trying to make travel plans ...

Members don't see this ad.

JustBreathe said:
Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? Parents are trying to make travel plans ...

it's usually the friday before classes start, so in this case, it would be friday august 18. i didn't find the actual date posted anywhere, though, so i'm not 100%. maybe only 95% :)

When I was driving in to work this morning, I came up with two questions that seemed pressing at the time... and now I can't remember either. But another one that I did think of while sitting here has to do with apartments.

My girlfriend and I are probably going to move to St. Louis together at the start of August, and I've started the apartment search online and plan on going up at the end of July. Does anyone (either future or current WUMS's) have any suggestion as to which properties are popular among students? I want to have an environment where I'm around my peers so that I can study with them as well as have fun, so I don't want to end up in an apartment with noone else from the med school. I've gotten quite a few names off of apartments.com and rent.com, etc., but that doesn't give me much in the way of knowing the clientele and setting. Yet, I still want to narrow my list to 8 or 10 places to schedule appointments with when I go up to look at apartments myself.

OK, I know this post was long and kind-of rambling, but I appreciate any help. And I'll remember what the real questions I had were at some point and come back and post those... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Keg said:
When I was driving in to work this morning, I came up with two questions that seemed pressing at the time... and now I can't remember either. But another one that I did think of while sitting here has to do with apartments.

My girlfriend and I are probably going to move to St. Louis together at the start of August, and I've started the apartment search online and plan on going up at the end of July. Does anyone (either future or current WUMS's) have any suggestion as to which properties are popular among students? I want to have an environment where I'm around my peers so that I can study with them as well as have fun, so I don't want to end up in an apartment with noone else from the med school. I've gotten quite a few names off of apartments.com and rent.com, etc., but that doesn't give me much in the way of knowing the clientele and setting. Yet, I still want to narrow my list to 8 or 10 places to schedule appointments with when I go up to look at apartments myself.

OK, I know this post was long and kind-of rambling, but I appreciate any help. And I'll remember what the real questions I had were at some point and come back and post those... Thanks!

Ha, if you want a place where a lot of other medical students live look no further than the Del Cornado. They're pretty nondiscript apartments, but its not too far from school and a lot of other students will be living there if that's a priority for you. Other popular buildings include the Hawthorne, Park 44, any of the buildings on Lindell between Euclid and Taylor, and Olin of course (if you can deal with a dorm.

Best of luck. I don't know where you're moving from but most people find St Louis to be very affordable by comparison.

velo said:
Ha, if you want a place where a lot of other medical students live look no further than the Del Cornado. They're pretty nondiscript apartments, but its not too far from school and a lot of other students will be living there if that's a priority for you. Other popular buildings include the Hawthorne, Park 44, any of the buildings on Lindell between Euclid and Taylor, and Olin of course (if you can deal with a dorm.

Best of luck. I don't know where you're moving from but most people find St Louis to be very affordable by comparison.

Awesome, all of those places are on my list. I'm pretty much just bounding myself to the area between Forest Park, Lindell, Kingshighway, and Newstead and am still finding gads of properties.

And I'm moving from Nashville, which has more-or-less moderate pricing, and I was shocked to see that St. Louis was still cheaper than what I was used to here... a very pleasant surprise!

Thanks for your help.

What is WashU's Step 1 pass rate?
What is the national average pass rate?

Sorry, I know WashU has an email list for this kind of thing, but if I do choose to attend WashU I don't want to be remembered as the student questioned WashU's greatness.

Just wanted to say hi as I've decided to join you guys in the fall! Not much time to spend with a post as I'm currently in China, but I was so excited I thought I'd take a peek over here to drop a hello. Hope you guys are enjoying your summer, and see you soon...

Welcome, GoodEats! :)

Hey guys! Haven't been on SDN in EONS because I'm all the way over in Asia at the moment, but I just wanted to pop by and say I'm now OFFICIALLY coming to Wash U, because they FINALLY approved my student visa. (YAY!) No more standing in the blazing equatorial sun for hours outside the US Embassy!

Hi Folks.

I'm a WashU waitlistee and have posted on this thread before, so please don't slam me for posting this here - it's relevant.

If you are moving to the St. Louis area and are in need of a bed, I have a full sized mattress and box spring for sale. It's a Spring Air mattress and it's barely been used. We bought it for our guest room and realized that it's just a little too large for the room. I live in West County St. Louis. Please PM me for pricing if you are interested. I'm not moving since I've been accepted to SLU, so there's no deadline to sell, but it will be first come first serve.

Thanks.

Chanjurban

Any new Wash U students who haven't found a place to live yet, I have a lead on a great apartment. My boyfriend (who isn't a student) just got a 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom apartment right in the Central West End, at Euclid and Laclede, and he's looking for a roommate.

It's really inexpensive (especially for the CWE) and in addition to the great location and private bathroom, there's a washer and dryer, nice kitchen with dishwasher and garbage disposal, new hardwood floors, central air, etc. Gated parking is available for a small additional fee.

He's a good roommate (quiet, clean, friendly) and I'm frequently over there cooking - at least I hope that continues as I enter 2nd year.

PM me for more details.

Hi. I don't mean to intrude on your thread but could someone please explain the "Indicate the institution(s) that will submit the Dean's Certification form(s) on your behalf" part of the secondary application? I didn't have any institutional action against me but it seems like it is required?

Thanks for the help.

Wash u requires that form to be submitted by every undergraduate institution you attended i believe, so you list them all (in my case just the one) and then get someone from each one to sign the form and send it in. My school's admin office receptionist looked at me and said, oh, this must be for Wash U... no one else ever asks for this. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey is everyone's parents showing up for the white coat ceremony? it's a really long flight for my parents to get there and it doesn't sound like it's all that meaningful.... or am i missing something?

Hey, congrats on the visa!

As for the white coat ceremony, I think my parents will probably make it because 1) my dad loves picture opportunities, and 2) they'll be passing back and forth through the midwest a few times next month. But that leads me to my question: what's the exact time and date? I just got the e-mail saying we should get a big packet of info soon, but I guess the sooner I can tell the parents for sure the better (I thought it was the Fri of orientation, but I wasn't positive).

stherling said:
Wash u requires that form to be submitted by every undergraduate institution you attended i believe, so you list them all (in my case just the one) and then get someone from each one to sign the form and send it in. My school's admin office receptionist looked at me and said, oh, this must be for Wash U... no one else ever asks for this. :)

Hi Thanks a lot. Do you know who signs the certificate? I have graduated and I don't know if i am supposed it to mail it to the registrar's office or the pre-med office?
Thanks again.

Hi all! I was accepted off the waitlist about a month ago and forgot to come say hi to my future classmates. So here I am now! Anyways, nothing else, just wanted to say hi :)

welcome, laurapaz :) any chance you're staying in olin? :p

teee, I sent mine to the dean's office. They seemed quite familiar with the situation. I think on the form or the supplemental app it lists which officials can sign off on it, but unfortunately I can't access either at the moment.

stherling said:

Nope, I went up apartment hunting last week, and will be living in The Hawthorne, a couple blocks from the school.

Oh, and speaking of, I'll be moving in early...like around Aug 2nd. Anyone else going to be in the area early as well want to go exploring the restaurants and such? :)

GoodEats said:
Hey, congrats on the visa!

As for the white coat ceremony, I think my parents will probably make it because 1) my dad loves picture opportunities, and 2) they'll be passing back and forth through the midwest a few times next month. But that leads me to my question: what's the exact time and date? I just got the e-mail saying we should get a big packet of info soon, but I guess the sooner I can tell the parents for sure the better (I thought it was the Fri of orientation, but I wasn't positive).

According to the mailing, the white coat ceremony is at 2pm on August 18, and the reception should be over at 5ish. My mom, brother, and girlfriend's parents are all coming in... they seem to think it's a big deal.

LauraPaz said:
Nope, I went up apartment hunting last week, and will be living in The Hawthorne, a couple blocks from the school.

Oh, and speaking of, I'll be moving in early...like around Aug 2nd. Anyone else going to be in the area early as well want to go exploring the restaurants and such? :)

My girlfriend and I are moving in at the MetroLofts on August 5th... so we'll be up for some area-exploring goodness.

Keg said:
My girlfriend and I are moving in at the MetroLofts on August 5th... so we'll be up for some area-exploring goodness.

Excellent, should be fun!

The white coat ceremony is pretty neat but not earthshakingly important. Lots of parents will be there, but if yours aren't, you won't be the only one. (Mine arranged their vacation so they were passing through, but I don't think I would have had them make a special trip.)

stherling said:

teee, I sent mine to the dean's office. They seemed quite familiar with the situation. I think on the form or the supplemental app it lists which officials can sign off on it, but unfortunately I can't access either at the moment.

Thanks again stherling

Hey all,

Newcomer to SDN - but I'll be in the Metrolofts, too. I'm sure we'll see each other around quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing everybody there!

devilishlyblue said:
Hey all,

Newcomer to SDN - but I'll be in the Metrolofts, too. I'm sure we'll see each other around quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing everybody there!

What apartment? We're in 520 in the B / 4545 building (the middle one).

Alright, I think I decided to move in on Aug 5th and would be very up for some exploring. I'll be in Olin and will let you know more as it gets closer I guess. Getting antsy to get going...

Welcome, blue eyes.

I'll be in the C building, 4th floor? We'll trade room numbers exactly when we meet in person. :D

Who else is doing WUMP? I just got the email today...

Keg said:
Who else is doing WUMP? I just got the email today...

I think I'm going to, but I haven't gotten any e-mails about it yet.

I think I will, too, and no e-mail yet over here, either.

GoodEats said:
I think I will, too, and no e-mail yet over here, either.

I wannnnt to. :( Unfortunately I only get back to the US on the 8th and won't be in St Louis until the 12th night.

What email are you guys talking about anyway? The last I heard about WUMP was an email in mid June. Did they just send out another one?

Also... I haven't received the mailing the Office of Student Programs promised -- possibly because I'm on the other side of the world, but still -- anything interesting/useful in there?

Here's the email list for those accepted to WUMP, to allay any fears / give some info:

preethi.guniganti@gmai; bjcarr@wm; jimmy.l.kerrigan@gmail; stbartel@wustl; michael.triebwasser@gmai; p0lei001@yahoo; shentehsu@gmail; beddowke@charter; elliotmweiss@gmail; manjool@gmail; jerinp@gmail; l-nayak@northwestern; ap40@duke; eboyum@gustavus; olufunmi.awonuga@gmail; cassieaw@stanfordalumni; cezhang2@gmail.; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; jlcbautista@gmail.; [email protected].; [email protected]da_23@hotmail.; [email protected]; kattrain2010@yahoo.; jourdie.stuart@gmail.; jbwillia@gmail.; psinatra@gmail.; murphyvp@gmail.; gillian-c-smith@yahoo.; lizzie.jagodinski@gmail;rogue050@gmail.

Don't spam them, please :) I removed the domains to keep random people from getting the email too easily.

I dropped by home yesterday and picked up my WashU mailings. If I remember right, there were:

- Dis-Orientation Guide (I love it, and will have it on hand in St. Louis I'm sure)
- Packet about Student Research Opportunities
- Packet about Student Organizations
- Postcard to return to RSVP a spot (+guest) for a baseball game during orientation
- Papers advertising Air Force/Navy/Army scholarships for those willing to serve
- In a separate envelope there was a draft of our orientation schedule

Hmmm, I wonder if I can e-mail them and try to join in the WUMP activities. I had some waitlist drama going on and think I missed the first e-mail. Was it something with limited space that you had to apply for?

Hm. Is it the new Dis-O guide, or the same one that they handed out at interviews?

Also, is there a list anywhere of the books (textbooks etc) that we're gonna need for M1? I remember a mailing listing the biochem texts, but not anything else. Textbooks are much cheaper here in Singapore, so I'd like to pick up anything I might need while I'm here....

stherling said:
Hm. Is it the new Dis-O guide, or the same one that they handed out at interviews?

Also, is there a list anywhere of the books (textbooks etc) that we're gonna need for M1? I remember a mailing listing the biochem texts, but not anything else. Textbooks are much cheaper here in Singapore, so I'd like to pick up anything I might need while I'm here....

wait until you get to St Louis to buy textbooks...a lot of us 2nd/3rd/4th year students are waiting to sell you some of our old books at a crazy marked down price.

we can also give you the skinny on what books you really need.

stherling said:

This is a new DisO, updated for the present day (adjusted for inflation!). In any case, the DisO has a list of what books are recommended, and list prices... but it does recommend waiting until you get to the Lou before you buy them so that you can get them from upperclassmen.

GoodEats said:
Hmmm, I wonder if I can e-mail them and try to join in the WUMP activities. I had some waitlist drama going on and think I missed the first e-mail. Was it something with limited space that you had to apply for?

I was thinking this same thing (also had the wait-list drama). Let me know what you find out? Thanks!

No reply yet, and a call got the machine. (Tried calling the contact in the student programs booklet.) If I don't hear something by Thursday, I think I'll try another number. I'll be sure to let you know once I do!

I remember mailing the application for WUMP on June 19th. (I got the form about a week earlier.) It's unfortunate that so many people didn't get it. I think I was even mailed the form twice.

They were expecting to take in 15-20 students, but they now have around 30.

Any other WUMPers on SDN? Feel free to give the board a shout out.

Anyone considering joining the Bear Bikers (I just got the email) for the MS 150? I had initially been planning on it, but haven't had the chance to train all summer. Wondering if I can get in shape within the month between getting to StL and the race itself....

stherling said:
Anyone considering joining the Bear Bikers (I just got the email) for the MS 150? I had initially been planning on it, but haven't had the chance to train all summer. Wondering if I can get in shape within the month between getting to StL and the race itself....

I emailed the guy back asking about some less intense stuff (for those of us out of shape people :) ) and he said that if you're not really ready for the long haul of the MS 150 yet, there's another shorter race fairly soon, and it's in St. Louis, so you don't have to go way out to Columbia. He sent me a pretty good description of all three of their main races; I can forward it to you if you want. At this point, I'm considering skipping the MS 150 and shooting for getting into shape first.

who's in st. louis already and want some housewares? I'm moving at the end of the month and have 2 side/end tables (roughly 2'x2'x2' cherry finish), 2 dining chairs (also cherry finish with cushiony seat) a 4 shelf bookcase (maybe ~4.5 or 5 feet tall?), a vacuum cleaner (1 year old), an ironing board, a brand new laser printer (samsung-- not compatible with macs...as I discovered), and a loveseat with cover. I also have dishes and stuff. I'm trying to think off the top of my head, so there might be other stuff. PM me for details

Hi again. On the corner of Pershing and Taylor, there is a blue bike locked to the gates on the east side of the street (in front of a big apartment building). It's definitely a beater-- a heavy, clunkity old thing. But whoever can get the lock off can have it. It served me well in getting to work on time!! It's got a kryptonite U-lock on it and the bic-pen-trick didn't work. Perk: it's got new handlebar tape on it! (though worn through the weather for however long I left it locked there)

If anyone is looking for a goog apartment, I recommend the Towne House on Lindell and Newstead, only a few blocks from the med school. It's not actually a towne house but rather a high rise apartment. It's a bit long of a walk (~20min) but it doesn't feel like such a long walk. The rooms are pretty large, there's a pool, and management is very friendly and responsive to any concerns. I moved in mid-May and haven't had any problems (though I do ride a bike to the med campus so it's really convenient for me). Bank of America is only two blocks away, as well as Schnucks-the supermarket. If you take a look, be sure to mention my name.

-Phil Sinatra
WUMS I

Just wanted to update on the WUMP front: talked to Ms. Smith today, and she said that she's forwarded on all questions concerning WUMP on to the sudents who run it all. I also got a contact e-mail for those students, e-mailed them, but have yet to hear back. Sounds like it might be too late, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Does anyone know what password we use to sign up for the Metro pass thing? I got an email today to sign up...

JustBreathe said:
Does anyone know what password we use to sign up for the Metro pass thing? I got an email today to sign up...

I just got the e-mail too. I went looking through the website for WEBSTAC info, and it says we're not going to get our PIN's until orientation. I'm not sure if that's what we're supposed to use or not, so I'm going to e-mail someone to find out.

Also, has anyone else gotten the paperwork on joining the AMA? If so, what are we supposed to put for graduation date? May 2010? I'm assuming it's asking when we'll be done with med school, rather than when we finished undergrad.

LauraPaz said:
I just got the e-mail too. I went looking through the website for WEBSTAC info, and it says we're not going to get our PIN's until orientation. I'm not sure if that's what we're supposed to use or not, so I'm going to e-mail someone to find out.

Also, has anyone else gotten the paperwork on joining the AMA? If so, what are we supposed to put for graduation date? May 2010? I'm assuming it's asking when we'll be done with med school, rather than when we finished undergrad.

If you find out about the PIN, can you please post it? Thanks.

Yeah, it should be your webstac ID# and Password. I don't know why they sent out the email prior to giving everyone their webstac info (because I was a WashU undergrad, my webstac info is the same as before). You can ask the admissions office (or Chris Mossinghoff from the email) and simply ask for your webstac info. I did that (at the admissions office) just to make sure that mine was the same and they happily gave it to me.