WashU c/o 2010 (official)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
guys? anyone else having difficulty planning out the budget for the Wash U fin aid form? also, i was planning to call the fin aid office about this, but does anyone know if putting down 0 for family contribution even though your family has the means to contribute is bad? i just don't want to have my parents support me, but i'm worried that i won't get grant money that way either.

Members don't see this ad.

stherling said:
over the last two years people were notified somewhere between the first and second weeks of April (this from perusing old SDN threads). But their interviews were in early May, so since the interview dates for this year have been moved into April then maybe we'll hear earlier? Oh well... less than a month, either way!

being paranoid I went to look over those old threads again.... looks like the timeline varies quite a bit (the earliest notification I saw was 3/29), presumably depending on when the interview is (April/May). But based on last year's timeline, people were notified almost a full month before the finalist interview. So since the interview is on 4/21 this year.... shouldn't we have heard by now? :confused:

On the bright side, apparently in 2002 (or 2001?) they only gave them two weeks before the interview. So maybe it varies. argh. I'm driving myself crazy!!

All this to say.... has anyone heard from them?

kirexhana said:
guys? anyone else having difficulty planning out the budget for the Wash U fin aid form? also, i was planning to call the fin aid office about this, but does anyone know if putting down 0 for family contribution even though your family has the means to contribute is bad? i just don't want to have my parents support me, but i'm worried that i won't get grant money that way either.
I have the same problem. My parents haven't supported me in ten years, and it's obscene that they'd be expected to do it now. :rolleyes: I am not planning to give any parental contribution. You are still under 21, aren't you? I think you won't be able to get out of it, but you should probably call them and talk to them just to be sure. Hope it works out for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
kirexhana said:
They have your FAFSA and already know what your parental contribution "should" be. I suspect that what they are looking for is what it will be. I am sure many people put $0.

stherling said:
being paranoid I went to look over those old threads again.... looks like the timeline varies quite a bit (the earliest notification I saw was 3/29), presumably depending on when the interview is (April/May). But based on last year's timeline, people were notified almost a full month before the finalist interview. So since the interview is on 4/21 this year.... shouldn't we have heard by now? :confused:

On the bright side, apparently in 2002 (or 2001?) they only gave them two weeks before the interview. So maybe it varies. argh. I'm driving myself crazy!!

All this to say.... has anyone heard from them?

Apparently I'm the only person here nervous about this :p Nonetheless, just in case anyone else is interested, here's the response I got from emailing them:

"The Merit Selection Committee will be meeting this Wednesday, March 29, to select those individuals who interview for a scholarship. Those individuals chosen to interview will be contacted by John Walters on the phone - starting on the 29th. However, the phone call process takes a few days, so the official result list won't be known until possibly March 31."

Good luck to everyone who applied :luck:

stherling said:
Apparently I'm the only person here nervous about this :p Nonetheless, just in case anyone else is interested, here's the response I got from emailing them:

"The Merit Selection Committee will be meeting this Wednesday, March 29, to select those individuals who interview for a scholarship. Those individuals chosen to interview will be contacted by John Walters on the phone - starting on the 29th. However, the phone call process takes a few days, so the official result list won't be known until possibly March 31."

Good luck to everyone who applied :luck:
I think most of us have given up. :p Ok, so have any of you ladies at least been invited to interview for the Olin fellowship? Surely there have to be at least a few SDNers who got invited!

QofQuimica said:
I think most of us have given up. :p Ok, so have any of you ladies at least been invited to interview for the Olin fellowship? Surely there have to be at least a few SDNers who got invited!

Not me. Definitely rejected from that one.

not me either.... and there was only one SDN interviewee last year. seems odd to me, but oh well. guess SDNers are a smaller sample of the overall population than I thought.

stherling said:
not me either.... and there was only one SDN interviewee last year. seems odd to me, but oh well. guess SDNers are a smaller sample of the overall population than I thought.
Weird, especially you, brownie. You have incredible stats. :confused: Eh, I should stop trying to make sense of any of this stuff. :p

do we get notified if we don't get an interiew? an email maybe?

I believe everyone gets a letter eventually.

hey everyone, it's me again, the washU groupie checking in. I just want to say that from who I know in the 2nd year class, it's amazing who the scholarship kids are. They are certainly not all of the the brightest in the class!! I don't know how they select the winners of the merit scholarships, it seems kind of random.

good luck to you all, but no worries if you don't get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:
Anyone get a call? I had a message from the dean on my voicemail this evening. He must have called right after I left for work. :p
Congrats Q!!! A pre-allo thread lists a few others that got calls (Wahina did, I think). Nothing for me, though. Oh well.

Good luck to those still hoping- their *may* be more calls tomorrow!

heh, i'm trying NOT to hope =/

dajimmers said:
Congrats Q!!! A pre-allo thread lists a few others that got calls (Wahina did, I think). Nothing for me, though. Oh well.

Good luck to those still hoping- their *may* be more calls tomorrow!
Thanks, dajimmers, I think, although the congrats may be premature before I call him back. :p This whole process makes no sense to me, and I can't wait until it's finally over....

no calls today? Maybe they did get done yesterday then. oh well :p

stherling said:
no calls today? Maybe they did get done yesterday then. oh well :p
I don't know. I did talk to the dean today. He said he would keep calling people until all of the invite slots were filled, and that there are a lot more people that they would like to invite than there are slots to interview them all. He also said that Wash U would expect a commitment from the people who were awarded the scholarship. So he may be calling some more people still, because he is actively discouraging people from interviewing if they are more or less committed to another school. They do not want to award scholarships and then have people withdraw to go elsewhere. Good luck to you; I hope you get a call tomorrow. :)

Oh Q. don't give me reason to hope, it's not healthy. :p

stherling said:
Oh Q. don't give me reason to hope, it's not healthy. :p
Well, there are only three or four of us on SDN who got calls so far, and at least one person turned their interview down, so obviously they will have to fill that slot....of course, I don't know how many people they interview.

true, but i'm assuming that SDN is a rather small sample of the actual applicant population. In any case, good luck with the interview!

stherling said:
true, but i'm assuming that SDN is a rather small sample of the actual applicant population. In any case, good luck with the interview!
It's hard to judge. SDN *is* a small sample, and it's also a *skewed* sample. Skewed toward the high end, I might add. ;) Anyone reading this forum would assume that most applicants have a 35+ MCAT, for example. :p

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I was able to get my financial aid package on the Wash U website with the password that they provided in the financial aid email. Just wanted to give everyone who's waiting for packages a heads-up.

Hmm, forgive my ignorance, but what was the date on this financial aid email you speak of? I'm looking through my saved emails and I cannot see it. Thanks!

Camel said:
Hmm, forgive my ignorance, but what was the date on this financial aid email you speak of? I'm looking through my saved emails and I cannot see it. Thanks!
The one I got was dated 3/9/2006, entitled "Financial Aid 2006-07" from [email protected]. I think you need your own PIN number to access the website, which was included in this email. The site and description was:

If you would like to see your financial aid status, go to this website http://medweb.wustl.edu/viewer/index.asp
you will input your SSN and pin number: ??????

QofQuimica said:
Weird, especially you, brownie. You have incredible stats. :confused: Eh, I should stop trying to make sense of any of this stuff. :p

I didn't get called for the other scholarships either.

Now I'm REALLY 50/50 with UCSF. UCSF will now be less expensive over 4 years regardless of aid packages (b/c I could establish CA residency at some point, hopefully after 1 year).

:confused:

are you factoring in cost of living as well?

hey did anyone get any further info about the 2nd Look weekend? Like, where do we go when we get into town, etc....

stherling said:
are you factoring in cost of living as well?

hey did anyone get any further info about the 2nd Look weekend? Like, where do we go when we get into town, etc....

Wash U's email last week said:
The Parkway Hotel
4550 Forest Park Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63110
314-256-7777

Take the Metrolink from the airport, get off at the Central West End
station and turn right (N) at the top of the stairs. You will be on Euclid
Ave. Go approximately 2 ½ blocks north on Euclid to the corner of Forest
Park Boulevard and Euclid. The hotel is across the street from the Center
for Advanced Medicine. Look for the Applebee’s Restaurant sign. The
hotel entrance is just past the restaurant entrance.

When you check in, you will receive a detailed schedule and map. If you
arrive by 3 p.m. on Friday afternoon, please come to the courtyard near
the Admissions Office for the Ice Cream Social. If you arrive later, plan
to meet in the lobby of the hotel at 5 p.m. to be picked up for dinner.
You will go directly from dinner to the theater so plan accordingly.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or need further
directions.

Admissions Office
Room 100 McDonnell Sciences Building
314-362-6858

see you guys there!

kirexhana said:
see you guys there!

I only just received that email (about a half hour ago), but mine says that I'll be staying at Olin Hall! I can't believe this. Everyone else gets to stay in the hotel and I get to stay at OLIN?!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

stherling said:

I only just received that email (about a half hour ago), but mine says that I'll be staying at Olin Hall! I can't believe this. Everyone else gets to stay in the hotel and I get to stay at OLIN?!

maybe you're not diverse enough for the hotel. :( WashU pulls crap like this. Last year, for the interview mornings, there were only the "AMWA breakfast" and the "minority breakfast". So if you're a white boy who can't qualify for either of those, you were stuck with a cold breakfast with your fellow white boys in a separate room. My boyfriend was one such white boy. He didn't even realize the other breakfasts were the hot delicious kind until this year!! He and his friends organized an "activities breakfast" to be inclusive.

anyway, I know you're a girl, but I offer one such hypothesis for WashU snubbing you. you should call and be outraged, or at least threaten to go to your other top choice school. :laugh:

ahumdinger said:
maybe you're not diverse enough for the hotel. :( WashU pulls crap like this. Last year, for the interview mornings, there were only the "AMWA breakfast" and the "minority breakfast". So if you're a white boy who can't qualify for either of those, you were stuck with a cold breakfast with your fellow white boys in a separate room. My boyfriend was one such white boy. He didn't even realize the other breakfasts were the hot delicious kind until this year!! He and his friends organized an "activities breakfast" to be inclusive.

anyway, I know you're a girl, but I offer one such hypothesis for WashU snubbing you. you should call and be outraged, or at least threaten to go to your other top choice school. :laugh:
That sucks, stherling. At my interview, our AMWA reps took the guys out for breakfast along with the girls. That seems to be the best way to handle things. I mean, can't guys be pro-women's lib too???

Thanks y'all :) Well, I emailed them to clarify, hopefully it was just a mistake or something.

stherling said:

Here's a possible explanation:
This year, the MSTP weekend and regular second look weekend are the same weekend. Usually, they are different. The MSTPs get golden treatment, the regular second look weekend kids get normal treatment. If the poster who's staying in a hotel is an MSTP and you are not, this would make sense...

Syranope2 said:
Here's a possible explanation:
This year, the MSTP weekend and regular second look weekend are the same weekend. Usually, they are different. The MSTPs get golden treatment, the regular second look weekend kids get normal treatment. If the poster who's staying in a hotel is an MSTP and you are not, this would make sense...

nope, not MSTP, but i heard that if you're going a day early, you're going to be staying in Olin on thurday and then the hotel for friday and saturday. Otherwise, it could be that you RSVPed too late for them to get you a room at Parkway. well, stherling, if worst comes to worst i'll share my room if you want, cuz it would totally suck to be separated from other prospective students.

lol thanks kirexhana! heh it really doesn't matter anyway, i just had a bad day and then came home to that email and the official no-money-for-you letter from the scholarship folk :p

Ok, they got back to me. I am indeed staying at Olin. Which, really, is totally fine, and wouldn't even bother me at all if they hadn't told me EARLIER that they had hotel reservations for the weekend. Anyhow, apparently I'm not the only one, so at least I'll have company! Though I don't really get why they're putting half the students up in one place and the other half in another... But anyway, I'm going to be living at Olin for the first year, so I might as well start liking it :p Gah... I was hoping not to have to deal with communal bathrooms till at least the fall though!

stherling said:
Ok, they got back to me. I am indeed staying at Olin. Which, really, is totally fine, and wouldn't even bother me at all if they hadn't told me EARLIER that they had hotel reservations for the weekend. Anyhow, apparently I'm not the only one, so at least I'll have company! Though I don't really get why they're putting half the students up in one place and the other half in another... But anyway, I'm going to be living at Olin for the first year, so I might as well start liking it :p Gah... I was hoping not to have to deal with communal bathrooms till at least the fall though!
I'm sure they just ran out of space. Did you register later?

Not unless everyone else registered within 24 hours :) I RSVPed the day after I got the email invite! And in fact, they told me about the hotel reservations in their reply to my RSVP email.

stherling said:
Not unless everyone else registered within 24 hours :) I RSVPed the day after I got the email invite! And in fact, they told me about the hotel reservations in their reply to my RSVP email.
:laugh: ok, I cry uncle. I have no earthly idea why they did it. :p

stherling said:

Weird... they're putting my girlfriend and myself up in the hotel (she's not going to Wash U next year), but they put you in olin? That's whack.

On an unrelated note, what are y'all wearing on Saturday of second look? It never gives dress except for Friday night, so I'm wondering if jeans would be alright, or if everyone is going business-casual (which is then what I would do, as well).

I'll probably be in jeans. They're not about to rescind your acceptance, so wear whatever you're comfortable in :) If only I could wear jeans on Friday night as well....

Keg said:
On an unrelated note, what are y'all wearing on Saturday of second look? It never gives dress except for Friday night, so I'm wondering if jeans would be alright, or if everyone is going business-casual (which is then what I would do, as well).
I'd vote for not wearing jeans or t-shirts; that's TOO casual for a professional gathering IMO. You can't go wrong with a nice pair of pants and a button down shirt or a sweater. Some of the other schools had people asking if they had to wear SUITS to their second looks. You guys are wanting to go extreme the other way. :smuggrin:

wait... jeans are too casual for walking around st.louis and attending a barbecue? god, I so don't want to grow up. :p

stherling said:
wait... jeans are too casual for walking around st.louis and attending a barbecue? god, I so don't want to grow up. :p
I dunno, I guess if they're nice (not full of holes) it's probably ok. The funny thing is that I wear old holey jeans and t-shirts to work at the lab every day, and I almost never dress up, but somehow it does seem too casual to me to wear jeans to a second look.... :oops:

QofQuimica said:
I dunno, I guess if they're nice (not full of holes) it's probably ok. The funny thing is that I wear old holey jeans and t-shirts to work at the lab every day, and I almost never dress up, but somehow it does seem too casual to me to wear jeans to a second look.... :oops:

nah, it's fine to wear jeans, as long as you look tidy, which i will be :p .

OK, so I emailed the person who emailed me (us?) tonight about second look... here's her response:

"saturday is casual so jeans and a polo are perfect (barbeque dinner, student play then studen party). "

Keg said:
OK, so I emailed the person who emailed me (us?) tonight about second look... here's her response:

"saturday is casual so jeans and a polo are perfect (barbeque dinner, student play then studen party). "
Ok, I am obviously overruled. Jeans it is.

Does anyone know if WashU suggests a certain type of computer? I want to buy a new one this summer and I'm somewhat lost..

Also, how dressed up is everyone going to be on Friday night? I'm thinking nice slacks and a button down shirt (I'm female). Too casual?