WashU c/o 2010 (official)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's probably what I'm wearing.... and I think what someone suggested earlier in the second look thread. ah yes. here it is:

Syranope2 said:
when i attended second look two years ago, they took us to the whitmore house for dinner, which is a kind of faculty club on the underground campus, a very pretty large house-thing owned by the med school. For women, dresses definitely aren't required, but something "nice" is (black pants and a nice shirt, etc.). you don't need to go all-out.

Members don't see this ad.

stherling said:
That's probably what I'm wearing.... and I think what someone suggested earlier in the second look thread. ah yes. here it is:

omg, my flight departs from LA at 6:06 tomorrow.... i'm going to be so groggy... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, mine leaves at 7.20, and I get in at 9. not sure what I'm gonna do with myself until the afternoon... probably go back to sleep :p

stherling said:
yeah, mine leaves at 7.20, and I get in at 9. not sure what I'm gonna do with myself until the afternoon... probably go back to sleep :p

you can always sit in on the first year's lecture that morning. Tomorrow they have lecture until 10:30, the topic from 9:30 to 10:30 will be Spinal Cord and Brainstem. They meet in Moore Auditorium.

The 2nd years are on OB/GYN block and their lectures are from 9-12, with the first 2 hours on the mechanisms of contraception and the 2nd part on Amenorrhea and dysfunctional uterine bleeding. What exciting topics!

it might rain tomorrow, but it should be warm.

ahumdinger said:
you can always sit in on the first year's lecture that morning. Tomorrow they have lecture until 10:30, the topic from 9:30 to 10:30 will be Spinal Cord and Brainstem. They meet in Moore Auditorium.

The 2nd years are on OB/GYN block and their lectures are from 9-12, with the first 2 hours on the mechanisms of contraception and the 2nd part on Amenorrhea and dysfunctional uterine bleeding. What exciting topics!
:laugh: That would probably put me to sleep for sure. :smuggrin: I have a funny story for you guys. When I visited Wash U, I was there for three days b/c that was just how my schedule worked out. So I thought, ok, I'll attend a class. And I saw there was one in session, so I just went in and sat down to listen. As I'm sitting there, it really struck me that 1) so few students came to class (there might have been like, what, 20, 25 of them out of a class of 100 and something) and 2) that the class got pretty specific into molecular mechanisms of action, much more than I would have expected for a medical school molecular bio class. So I was asking about these things to one of the students afterward, and he told me that it was a biomedical graduate student class (they were PhD students). :smuggrin: I never did sit in on an actual medical student class at Wash U, but in my experience, the grad students there are super nice, and their classes seem pretty good to me too. :p

My tour guide said that most people don't attend lectures anyway... wonder how true that is. Not sure I'll make it for the 9.30 class... think they'll mind if I wander in late?

There's actually a Neuroscience seminar on at 4, but it's during the ice cream social. hmm. choices choices :)

I was also thinking of wandering through Forest Park, which I didn't get to see much of when I was there. Are the trees green again yet, or still bare? :p

browniegirl86 said:
I have a chamber singers concert, and since I'm one of the three first sopranos . . . I have to be there. Oh well, it's one of my last performances with professional level choral group so it's worth it :)

browniegirl -- all the best for your concert!!

stherling said:
My tour guide said that most people don't attend lectures anyway... wonder how true that is. Not sure I'll make it for the 9.30 class... think they'll mind if I wander in late?

There's actually a Neuroscience seminar on at 4, but it's during the ice cream social. hmm. choices choices :)

I was also thinking of wandering through Forest Park, which I didn't get to see much of when I was there. Are the trees green again yet, or still bare? :p

the tour guide must have been on crack because I think a lot of students attend lecture. I mean, over the span of a year, there may be a majority of student who don't attend every single lecture, but on any given day, there's a good turnout. But the lecture halls are very spacious, so it may appear sparse. And there are plenty of seats in the back and the doors are very quiet, so you can sneak in and out.

I think the trees in forest park are green now. you can get a beautiful view by going to the top floor of the CAM building (center for advanced medicine) on the corner of euclid and forest park blvd. (right across from the applebees) You can also see a view from the top of children's (there's some sort of playground up there) but I'm not sure how to get there.

let's hope it doesn't rain!

kirexhana said:
omg, my flight departs from LA at 6:06 tomorrow.... i'm going to be so groggy... :(

*jealous* . . . my flight leaves at 6:30 a.m. on SATURDAY :(

Figures that the ONE Friday night obligation I have this semester falls on tomorrow.

stherling said:
:confused:

I only just received that email (about a half hour ago), but mine says that I'll be staying at Olin Hall! I can't believe this. Everyone else gets to stay in the hotel and I get to stay at OLIN?!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Me too, wtf?!

browniegirl86 said:
Me too, wtf?!

that sucks, not a very good way to sell the school to us... :( how am i going to get to know you guys if we're going to be spilt up? oh well, if anyone wants to crash in my room, my offer still stands (although... i'm not sure if we're already assigned roommates... :confused: )

howdy,

just wanted to say i look foward to hopefully seeing some of you guys on saturday. my apartment is one of the stops on the central west end "apartment tour", so maybe some of you will even find out where i live! maybe i should clean a little. :idea: i'll also try to make it to the barbeque, but we'll see.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I just wanted to say that I had a blast meeting everyone. Good times all around.

P.S. kirexhana would beat Britney Spears in a danceoff ANY day.

browniegirl86 said:
P.S. kirexhana would beat Britney Spears in a danceoff ANY day.

HA HA HA!

omg, you guys are making me blush. :oops: although i'm not going to argue with you :p ;) ...

kirexhana said:
omg, you guys are making me blush. :oops: although i'm not going to argue with you :p ;) ...
:laugh:

Ok, so besides finding out that kirex is one mean little dancing machine, did anything else useful come out of second look that y'all care to share with those who didn't go?

QofQuimica said:
:laugh:

Ok, so besides finding out that kirex is one mean little dancing machine, did anything else useful come out of second look that y'all care to share with those who didn't go?

useful? there were a few talks and panels about student orgs and opportunities available for public health. the apartment tour was going on too, advertising how cheap the housing is. i think the general pricing range for a decent single bedroom apartment is about 700 whereas a 2 bedroom is more along the lines of 400-500 per person. otherwise, nothing particularly useful, depending on how practically you find free booze to be. ;)

kirexhana said:
useful? there were a few talks and panels about student orgs and opportunities available for public health. the apartment tour was going on too, advertising how cheap the housing is. i think the general pricing range for a decent single bedroom apartment is about 700 whereas a 2 bedroom is more along the lines of 400-500 per person. otherwise, nothing particularly useful, depending on how practically you find free booze to be. ;)
I thought you were underage!!! :eek: ;)

QofQuimica said:
I thought you were underage!!! :eek: ;)

Oh, Kirex was definitely ahead of me in the keg line... Wash U is so progressive that they just don't care about underage drinking ;)

hey guys,

I had a great time this weekend. Q, I thought you were coming! I spent all weekend looking for you ;)

btw, I second browniegirl's review of kirexhana's dance moves :laugh: (although browniegirl, I never managed to track you down, though it seems everyone else did!)

The apartment tour was probably the most informative. I wasn't surprised by the prices, but the amount of SPACE that you get is amazing. Every apartment I stepped into was huge. AND about 10 minutes from school. AND right on Forest Park. Almost made me regret my decision to stay in Olin for the first year! (not quite though.... I actually had a good time staying at Olin this weekend)

Also, it was good to hear about how easy it is to get funding for both research and international health opportunities. We heard about that at the student panel, but it was also backed up in just about every conversation I had with any current students.

I think aside from that... it was just great to get a better feel of the place and the people. When I interviewed I had been a little weirded out by the people I met (first years and applicants), but everyone I met this weekend seemed really cool, and the first year class turned out to have a really nice mix of people in terms of age, interests, personalities, etc :)

I also got a chance to explore the central west end a little, and was pleasantly surprised -- it's quite a lovely neighbourhood.

So... I'll be there this fall... Good luck to those of you who are still making decisions!

stherling said:
I had a great time this weekend. Q, I thought you were coming! I spent all weekend looking for you ;)
:oops: :D

No, I wasn't able to go anywhere this weekend. Pitt had their second look too, and I missed everything. :( The final draft of my thesis is due this week, so unfortunately I spent my weekend scanning NMR spectra and making corrections. It sounds like you guys had way more fun though. :)

stherling, we were like ships in the night :( I don't know how we managed to miss each other, especially since I randomly ended up at the same table as kirexhana, utpremed AND keg at the BBQ dinner! Maybe next year :)

Q, my useful information was mostly about the feel of the school and students (great), international oppurtunities (very forthcoming and easy to arrange), research (same way), and housing. I was really impressed by housing, which is actually a very critical issue for me. All the apartments were spacious, unique (old hotels converted to apts), close and pet friendly, which is a big plus for me. And the park is really close and beautiful. I am already having pre-puppy neglect guilt, so it made me feel a lot better about that.

Another thing I think you should know (Q) is that the student body seems very cohesive. I know you've had some concerns about age differences, but I really got the feeling that it won't be an issue as far as social life. Just my two cents.

So, I loved it even though I missed the whole day and was running on 1 hour of sleep :rolleyes: . I am really hoping to know where I'll be after the UCSF second look, which is in 2 weeks!

i just wanted to say i hope you guys all enjoyed the weekend and came away with the impression that washu students aren't (all) crazy. some of us are actually pretty damn normal!

i don't know if i personally spoke with any of you guys, as i went to pretty much every function except the BBQ where you all found each other. also, i hope you guys liked the apartment tour (mine was the parkway--one that was converted from an old hotel...) :oops:

as always, contact me any time with questions. hope to see everybody in august!

ryan

superdevil, your apartment was really nice! (I was part of the party of 3 that arrived late.)

stherling said:
superdevil, your apartment was really nice! (I was part of the party of 3 that arrived late.)
thanks. :cool: i hope the other apartments were nice, too--i don't have a clue what other places were on the tour, though. at any rate, places in the CWE are generally pretty nice. i'm sure it was nice to get to the BBQ on saturday; i remember hearing that you guys were looking at 7 places, which is a lot of walking around. oh well, working up an apetite is healthy. :thumbup:

superdevil said:
thanks. :cool: i hope the other apartments were nice, too--i don't have a clue what other places were on the tour, though. at any rate, places in the CWE are generally pretty nice. i'm sure it was nice to get to the BBQ on saturday; i remember hearing that you guys were looking at 7 places, which is a lot of walking around. oh well, working up an apetite is healthy. :thumbup:

Ah I figured that was you (you were the only guy on the apartment tour, at least when I went). Yeah, the apartments were all great. We were especially impressed with your trash door thingie :) Walking was nice for me at least; cool weather is a great change from the high 80's/low 90's we've been having in TX. One of the big pluses of WashU for me is housing. Spacious, reasonably priced, and the character of the old hotels can't be beat. Thanks for letting us poke around your place!

browniegirl86 said:
Ah I figured that was you (you were the only guy on the apartment tour, at least when I went). Yeah, the apartments were all great. We were especially impressed with your trash door thingie :) Walking was nice for me at least; cool weather is a great change from the high 80's/low 90's we've been having in TX. One of the big pluses of WashU for me is housing. Spacious, reasonably priced, and the character of the old hotels can't be beat. Thanks for letting us poke around your place!
ah yes, the trash door. gets 'em every time :D glad you enjoyed everything.

soooo...i've gotta ask (purely out of curiosity), did anybody who came to the 2nd look weekend think they're leaning more towards washu now? any firm committs? anyone have anything they particularly enjoyed (or maybe even disliked) about the revisit weekend? i just wanted to get your impression on the school and the students you met--i never went on any revisits, so i don't know what things looked like from your side of the matter...

well, I know I'm going to Wash U in the fall, but that's hardly a surprise since I knew that before the 2nd look weekend anyway :p

I met about 3-4 other people at the weekend who were definitely going there as well.... the rest were split about 50/50 between 'it's come down to Wash U or School X for me and now I really can't decide' and 'Wash U is my top choice, unless I get off the waitlist at School X'. I only met one person who didn't enjoy the weekend. Think he's going to Hopkins.

stherling said:
well, I know I'm going to Wash U in the fall, but that's hardly a surprise since I knew that before the 2nd look weekend anyway :p

I met about 3-4 other people at the weekend who were definitely going there as well.... the rest were split about 50/50 between 'it's come down to Wash U or School X for me and now I really can't decide' and 'Wash U is my top choice, unless I get off the waitlist at School X'. I only met one person who didn't enjoy the weekend. Think he's going to Hopkins.

really? i didn;t meet anyone that didn't have fun... how is it possible to not have fun with all the free booze? maybe he's allergic to alcohol... ;)

I didn't commit, but I'm hoping that once I can compare the two second looks (next weekend, woo hoo!) and financial aid I'll be able to.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved WashU since the night before my interview. I just need to get more "EQ" type of info on UCSF to make an informed decision.

stherling said:
I only met one person who didn't enjoy the weekend. Think he's going to Hopkins.

LOL that was probably me (I didn't meet any other guys deciding between Wash U and Hopkins). And I had a blast at the weekend!! I hope I didn't give the impression that I wasn't enjoying it! To clarify, I think at the end of the weekend I said something like it didn't convince me to definately attend WashU over Hopkins...but it didn't definately convince me to stay away! And it's not because I didn't like the weekend or anything like that...my biggest reservation about WashU is I'm not a big fan of the curriculum, because the students have a lot more class time than JHU, don't seem to have as many electives or flexibility, and it seems to be a little lecture-heavy. But Hopkins is much more intense. It'll be a very hard decision (which I'm lucky to be making), and like some others who I'm pretty certain I spoke to who were deciding between school X and WashU, I have no idea right now how I'm going to make it. Hopefully the Hopkins second look will help me decide.

And superdevil...thanks a lot for letting us see your apartment! I was also impressed w/your trash pickup...

browniegirl86, UTpremed and JustBreathe...I definately met you guys and it was really nice to talk to you guys! Good luck w/those of you still making decisions... stherling, who were you? I must have met you, but I'm not sure who you were...

hey sen... it probably was you! Sorry, I must have just gotten the wrong vibe when we were talking -- all those kegstands and loud music going on in the background tend to disorient and confuse me :) Well, I guess that means I didn't meet anyone who didn't enjoy themselves then! :p Good luck making your decision... I hope you come to Wash U!

(I'll PM you so you can figure out who I am :laugh: )

stherling said:
hey sen... it probably was you! Sorry, I must have just gotten the wrong vibe when we were talking -- all those kegstands and loud music going on in the background tend to disorient and confuse me :) Well, I guess that means I didn't meet anyone who didn't enjoy themselves then! :p Good luck making your decision... I hope you come to Wash U!

(I'll PM you so you can figure out who I am :laugh: )

kegstands look like fun, i should try one next time...

kirexhana said:
kegstands look like fun, i should try one next time...
Ok, someone has to explain the point of this to me. The Pitt people were talking about it as well, and since I'd never even heard of a keg stand, I googled it. It said that you literally are doing a headstand on the keg, trying to drink from the tap. WTF??? Besides presumably being extremely difficult to do in comparison with drinking the beer the normal way, it doesn't exactly sound the most hygienic, either. Remind me to get MY beer BEFORE the games begin. :p

QofQuimica said:
Ok, someone has to explain the point of this to me. The Pitt people were talking about it as well, and since I'd never even heard of a keg stand, I googled it. It said that you literally are doing a headstand on the keg, trying to drink from the tap. WTF??? Besides presumably being extremely difficult to do in comparison with drinking the beer the normal way, it doesn't exactly sound the most hygienic, either. Remind me to get MY beer BEFORE the games begin. :p

but i'm asian.... we don't believe in hygiene when it comes to food. besides, the alcohol should be a disinfectant all on its own ;) .

QofQuimica said:

Dear Q,

1. It's hard. The longer you can do it, the cooler you become.
2. It's a lot of beer all at once, so this makes you drunker faster.
3. Head rush?

Love,

22-year old fresh out of a huge party school

:love:

p.s. I've never done one, becuase I'm almost certain I would vomit.

browniegirl86 said:
Dear Q,

3. Head rush?

Love,

If you're trying to persuade me that doing a keg stand is a good idea, it is SO not working. :smuggrin: Ok, I will happily concede that if this is the basis for judgment, I am almost certain to be the LEAST cool member of any medical school class. Like I said, I'll continue to have my drinks the normal way....if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and at least I don't have to worry about anyone vomiting in my drink. :eek: :p

browniegirl86 said:
Dear Q,

3. Head rush?

Love,

If someone has to hold your legs cause you can't do a headstand by yourself does it still count?

no worries Q, I'll be right there with you -- along with the rest of the other folk that I met at wash U who were more than happy to leave the kegstanding to others :laugh:

Saluki said:
If someone has to hold your legs cause you can't do a headstand by yourself does it still count?

people hold you up for the kegstand.

ahumdinger said:
people hold you up for the kegstand.

Then I might be able to do it, though since I've never had more than a glass of wine I think it might take a little bit of practice :laugh:

QofQuimica said:
If you're trying to persuade me that doing a keg stand is a good idea, it is SO not working. :smuggrin: Ok, I will happily concede that if this is the basis for judgment, I am almost certain to be the LEAST cool member of any medical school class. Like I said, I'll continue to have my drinks the normal way....if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and at least I don't have to worry about anyone vomiting in my drink. :eek: :p

No persuasion here! I'd never do a kegstand either. I just like watching OTHER people do them. Beacuse it's usually hilarious. Oh, and you (as a member of the crowd) get to count out loud. ONE! TWO! THREE!!!!

And that's always fun. :D

browniegirl86 said:
No persuasion here! I'd never do a kegstand either. I just like watching OTHER people do them. Beacuse it's usually hilarious. Oh, and you (as a member of the crowd) get to count out loud. ONE! TWO! THREE!!!!

And that's always fun. :D
Great. You know, I didn't go to a normal university, so I missed out on a lot of these adolescent hi-jinx during college....I'm glad to know that I'll get a chance to do them now. As with everything else about me, better late than never, I suppose. :p

Does anyone have a copy of WashU's match list for this year?

QofQuimica said:
Great. You know, I didn't go to a normal university, so I missed out on a lot of these adolescent hi-jinx during college....I'm glad to know that I'll get a chance to do them now. As with everything else about me, better late than never, I suppose. :p

a lot of the non-traditionals (at least the single ones...I've never met the married ones) say that they feel like they've regressed in maturity since starting starting med school. I guess that's a good thing...we're all seeking youth these days. :)

UTpremed said:
Does anyone have a copy of WashU's match list for this year?
i think i have it somewhere. i'll look around for it and post it when i find it.