WashU c/o 2010 (official)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahumdinger said:
waiting for summer would definitely be fine. CWE is probably one of the more expensive places to live in St. Louis. If you live by yourself, you can get a studio for $450+, a one bedroom for $500+ (though the nicer ones are $600-700). If you share an apt, you can usually get it down to about $300-400 per person, depending on how many bedrooms. Again, your choices are limited if you have a dog and you may have to pay extra.
Brownie's dog *is* cute, and so is yours, ahumdinger. I love that picture in your avatar. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

QofQuimica said:
Brownie's dog *is* cute, and so is yours, ahumdinger. I love that picture in your avatar. :laugh:

Roxie says "woof," which I take to mean "thanks!"

hey class of 2010, my boyfriend is in the 2nd year, and he started this newsletter called "the Hippo." basically it's like a med school version of the Onion. Go here to see old issues. (ignore the first two links, I was being stupid) but the 5 issues of the hippo that have been published are posted in PDF format. Most of them are from first year. the bf was trying to get someone to take over the hippo this year, but the current 1st years suck balls (most of them) and don't like to participate in anything fun. The classes tend to cycle in and out of cool class/lame class, so class of 2010 better rock hard like c/o 2008. Read the old issues, be inspired, and carry on the hippo tradition for next year!!

artsci.wustl.edu/~ldinga

Members don't see this ad :)
about housing, i agree with pretty much everything ahumdinger has said. you definitely have time to wait until the summer to get an apartment.

also, at least during my revisit weekend, they had an afternoon where they went around to a whole ton of first years apartments so that you could look at some of the different buildings. so even if the locator places aren't open on sunday, you still should be able to get in to see what a lot of apartments are like.

Wash U requires a year of calculus?

hey, any cyclists at/going to Wash U who might be riding the MS150 this year? I meant to do it last year but I wound up in Mexico for a month over summer and couldn't train (and got really sick when I came home and couldn't train then either).

QofQuimica said:

omg, that's a dog? i thought it was a blurred out picture of some lady's face with weird hair.... but now i see the eyes.... and what was the face is actually a nose. haha, cute dog!

kirexhana said:
omg, that's a dog? i thought it was a blurred out picture of some lady's face with weird hair.... but now i see the eyes.... and what was the face is actually a nose. haha, cute dog!
There is someone else with the ID apparition who has a similar avatar, only with a cat. But the cat's face is right up in the lens like that. Cats and dogs have the cutest little noses.

Hopefully this will work, but here's a picture of Gray in his crinkle bag.

Gray in crinkle bag

stherling said:
browniegirl, your dog Uma is really cute :) Btw, I know this is kinda random, but being from Austin, have you ever been to Spamarama?

Never been but some of my friends have. Eeyore's birthday party, canned-goods donation Marleyfest, Austin City Limits, yes.

I'm going to miss Austin so much . . . :(

QofQuimica said:
There is someone else with the ID apparition who has a similar avatar, only with a cat. But the cat's face is right up in the lens like that. Cats and dogs have the cutest little noses.

Hopefully this will work, but here's a picture of Gray in his crinkle bag.

Gray in crinkle bag

Link won't work for me :(

Oh, and kirexhana, I TOTALLY thought the same thing about ahumdinger's icon! Creeped me out because it looked like the person had a mask on that covered only the top of the face and blurred out the eyes!!

hey, for second look, do we get the night of the 8th in the hotel too? or do we just have to leave... late at night for our flight. we leave the morning of the 9th, no?

Hey future WashU'ers. I'm a current MS1, making my monthly visit to SDN so I thought I'd stop by. I see superdevil has been doing a great job at answering questions.

About apartments, 2 things: first, definitely the CWE is a cool place to live, but don't necessarily limit yourself there. I ended up with an apartment about 2 miles south from school, and I love it. It's cheap, charming, quiet (OK, since they evicted the loud guy it's quiet), and mentally relaxing to get really away from school. I drive, though.

Second, you can totally wait til summer to find a place, but it's worth looking around to familiarize yourself with the area at 2nd look. If you go for an apartment building (the kind with a management company) you'll want to try and obtain a place about a month before you want to move in. OTOH if you are interested in the kind of place you'd find on Craigslist (house/duplex/small apartment building with a For Rent sign out front) you almost need to get closer up to the move-in date, because the mom-and-pop landlords tend not to advertise until the place is actually or practically vacated, and then they don't want to leave it sitting around empty for long. Coming from DC where you need 2 months' notice, this was a surprise for me, and I ended up having to start my lease 2 weeks before I moved in, in order to get the apartment.

kirexhana said:
hey, for second look, do we get the night of the 8th in the hotel too? or do we just have to leave... late at night for our flight. we leave the morning of the 9th, no?

When I emailed to ask about the night of the 6th they said: dorm room for 6th, hotel for 7th and 8th. So yes, you can leave on the 9th. :) I plan on leaving as late as possible so I can spend Sunday exploring a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
browniegirl86 said:
Link won't work for me :(

Oh, and kirexhana, I TOTALLY thought the same thing about ahumdinger's icon! Creeped me out because it looked like the person had a mask on that covered only the top of the face and blurred out the eyes!!
Tell me how to insert an image directly into the message, and I'll try that.

stherling said:
When I emailed to ask about the night of the 6th they said: dorm room for 6th, hotel for 7th and 8th. So yes, you can leave on the 9th. :) I plan on leaving as late as possible so I can spend Sunday exploring a little.

awesome, anyone else with this plan? i kinda wanted to roam around for a bit too :rolleyes: .

QofQuimica said:
Tell me how to insert an image directly into the message, and I'll try that.

[ IMG ] url here [ /IMG]

without the spaces.

kirexhana said:
awesome, anyone else with this plan? i kinda wanted to roam around for a bit too :rolleyes: .

I'm leaving on the 9th too! Because I can't get there until the 8th in the morning, I'm leaving Sunday afternoon. Anyone want to try and apartment hunt together?

Gray+in+crinkle+bag.jpg

the link works now though! looks like we can add graymalkin to the cute list :) although the flash in his eyes is rather scary. :p

stherling said:
the link works now though! looks like we can add graymalkin to the cute list :) although the flash in his eyes is rather scary. :p
Gray is a very, very naughty boy, so the evil flash befits him. But he is also very sweet and super friendly.

Any of you lucky acceptance holders interview in mid-february, i did and am anxiuosly awaiting. Also, do you know when the AdCOMM meets again. Any help would allow me to sleep better at night.

poopoohead said:
Any of you lucky acceptance holders interview in mid-february, i did and am anxiuosly awaiting. Also, do you know when the AdCOMM meets again. Any help would allow me to sleep better at night.
No, I think we all interviewed earlier. Mine was in November. Not sure when the adcom will meet again. :luck: to you. :)

poopoohead said:

I interviewed in mid-November and got accepted 2 months later (to the day, mid-January).

Q, love the cat!

So how far is everyone traveling for the second look? I am trying to decide what to do because I really want to check it out again, but it's kind of expensive to travel up there and I'd have to miss more class too. Are you all 100% that you are going to WashU? Are any of you accepted to Duke also? That's basically my choice because their 2nd looks are back to back and I probably can't go to both.

I'm flying from Philadelphia. I actually already know I'm going to WashU, but I want to take the opportunity to explore a little, meet future classmates, and maybe look into apartments, since I won't have another chance to visit before fall.

Wahina said:
So how far is everyone traveling for the second look? I am trying to decide what to do because I really want to check it out again, but it's kind of expensive to travel up there and I'd have to miss more class too. Are you all 100% that you are going to WashU? Are any of you accepted to Duke also? That's basically my choice because their 2nd looks are back to back and I probably can't go to both.
I know, I have the same problem with Wash U and Pitt. :rolleyes: I'm thinking I probably won't go to either second look, because the timing is just not great for me.

Don't stress too much about the decision, Wahina. They're both great schools, and you can't make a bad choice. Go with your gut, and see how much financial aid they offer you. It might also help you to make a list of all the things you like about each school, and compare the two lists. Good :luck: whatever you decide. :)

I think the financial aid and the classmates/environment will be the two biggest factors, but it's hard to tell much about the classmates and environment if I don't go to second look. What are you thinking with Pitt and WashU?

Just my 2 cents, but I think classmates are just something you have to take a chance on at every school. Even going to second look may not help all that much since not everyone there will wind up matriculating in the fall.... in any case, like Q said, they're both great schools! Good luck with the decision :)

Wahina said:

cali... it's a $240 plane ticket... that sweater better be nice :p

kirexhana said:
cali... it's a $240 plane ticket... that sweater better be nice :p

You get a free sweater?

Wahina said:
You get a free sweater?

i think so, they asked for a size on the 2nd look reg. :)

Wahina said:
I think the financial aid and the classmates/environment will be the two biggest factors, but it's hard to tell much about the classmates and environment if I don't go to second look. What are you thinking with Pitt and WashU?
Heh heh, I'm doing the same thing I told you: waiting to hear about financial aid. ;) Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything about scholarships at Wash U? They've got to be awarding them soon, don't you think? Browniegirl? Anyone?

QofQuimica said:
Heh heh, I'm doing the same thing I told you: waiting to hear about financial aid. ;) Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything about scholarships at Wash U? They've got to be awarding them soon, don't you think? Browniegirl? Anyone?

i think the finalists for the scholarships have to interview again for them. they said they were going to fly us out again or soemthing...

Here we go:

The next decision point takes place when the Scholarship Selection Committee must identify those scholarship applicants, designated as "Finalists,” who are to be invited to return to St. Louis specifically for the scholarship interview. All travel arrangements and associated expenses are paid by Washington. Finalists will travel to St. Louis on Friday, April 21, be interviewed and participate in the activities on Saturday, April 22, and depart St. Louis on Sunday, April 23, 2006.

Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award during the following week, and will be given until May 15, 2006 to confirm their decision to attend Washington for their medical education.

so... soon? haha

kirexhana said:
i think the finalists for the scholarships have to interview again for them. they said they were going to fly us out again or soemthing...

Here we go:

The next decision point takes place when the Scholarship Selection Committee must identify those scholarship applicants, designated as "Finalists,” who are to be invited to return to St. Louis specifically for the scholarship interview. All travel arrangements and associated expenses are paid by Washington. Finalists will travel to St. Louis on Friday, April 21, be interviewed and participate in the activities on Saturday, April 22, and depart St. Louis on Sunday, April 23, 2006.

Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award during the following week, and will be given until May 15, 2006 to confirm their decision to attend Washington for their medical education.

so... soon? haha
:smuggrin: Right. So, ok, when do you find out if you're a finalist??? :p

QofQuimica said:
:smuggrin: Right. So, ok, when do you find out if you're a finalist??? :p
hm... assuming they have to book tickets well in advance for those special few. maybe they'll tell us the end of march?

over the last two years people were notified somewhere between the first and second weeks of April (this from perusing old SDN threads). But their interviews were in early May, so since the interview dates for this year have been moved into April then maybe we'll hear earlier? Oh well... less than a month, either way!

More importantly (or at least more excitingly, since it's a definite thing, as opposed to my scholarship chances), only 2.5 more months before I can leave my job!!

stherling said:
over the last two years people were notified somewhere between the first and second weeks of April (this from perusing old SDN threads). But their interviews were in early May, so since the interview dates for this year have been moved into April then maybe we'll hear earlier? Oh well... less than a month, either way!

More importantly (or at least more excitingly, since it's a definite thing, as opposed to my scholarship chances), only 2.5 more months before I can leave my job!!
Thanks, guys. :thumbup:

Is anyone else having problems filling out the WashU financial aid application? Specifically, I can't get it to save information about my family members' names and status in school (I think it's the last page in the parent section). I suppose I could just print it and send it in, but I figured online was faster... I'll be contacting them tomorrow when I get a chance, but I was wondering if any of you had or fixed this problem.

i like how wash U likes showering people with merchandise. an alarm clock at the interview, a sweatshirt at 2nd look and now a free pen. i thought the ps. note about how to open the box was kinda cute.

kirexhana said:
i like how wash U likes showering people with merchandise. an alarm clock at the interview, a sweatshirt at 2nd look and now a free pen. i thought the ps. note about how to open the box was kinda cute.

I didn't get an alarm clock at my interview! Then again, I haven't gotten in yet. Maybe that was the secret signal for admittance. :laugh:

ahumdinger said:
I didn't get an alarm clock at my interview! Then again, I haven't gotten in yet. Maybe that was the secret signal for admittance. :laugh:

Did you stay at Olin? The guy who checked me in forgot to give me mine, and someone had to bring it up to my room later on.... so maybe they're just not terribly on top of the alarm clock situation :p

The pen was amusing. Mine was covered in dust -- how that much dust got into that supposedly impossible to open box is beyond me.

poopoohead said:

I interviewed in December, but I just noticed that UTpremed interviewed in early February and was accepted on 3/3. Good luck! :luck:
(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=267294)

kirexhana said:
Yeah, I just got mine yesterday. I did not have to break the box to get it open. :p

kirexhana said:

"If all else fails, break the box to get to the pen."

LOL

Wahina said:

Coming from Austin, TX.

My ticket was also around $240 . . . damn.

Yeah, I send my mail home and my mom called to tell me that she had to break the box to get the pen. I was like "What?" :) But yeah, I think alarm clocks only went to those who stayed with a student host? I didn't get one because I stayed at my grandparents' house.

Camel said:
Yeah, I send my mail home and my mom called to tell me that she had to break the box to get the pen. I was like "What?" :) But yeah, I think alarm clocks only went to those who stayed with a student host? I didn't get one because I stayed at my grandparents' house.

hey guys, I just got waitlisted at WashU. Dodson says he expects to give out 50 more acceptances before august. Here's to hoping I join you all!