WAMC: Prep for Applying 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroscie23

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. First time posting on SDN. I just wanted to see how I am stacking up for applying this coming cycle. Just to preface, I do not have a MCAT score, so if you are not comfortable giving advice, I understand. Here are some stats. Would like some advice on where I stand and my chances of getting accepted. Thanks!

1. CGPA and SGPA = 4.0, neuroscience major
2. Have not taken mcat, last practice exam on blueprint was a 509 but still not the real deal.
3. Connecticut resident
4. ORM (Asian)
5. Undergrad is a low tier private school
6. Paid Clinical Experience= 650 hours as a medical assistant
Volunteer Clinical Experience = 200 hours as a hospital volunteer
7. 400 hours as a research assistant at my school, only one second author poster which I presented at a conference, should have another one before applying
700 hours as a research assistant at a medical school
5 publications, (1 first author, 1 third author, 1 second author, 2 fifth author) should have at least two more publications before applying
1 book chapter in review, should be published before applying
also been a invited peer reviewer for a journal
8. 300 hours shadowing GI, 100 shadowing neurosurgery, 200 shadowing anesthesia
9. 400 hours non clinical volunteering
10. Executive board in honors program, club president, student advisor, on many committees in my school
11. Letters of recs: 1 PI and doctor I worked with, 1 advisor and PI, 2 science professors, 1 doctor supervisor

I am a traditional applicant, so I am attempting not to take a gap year. any advice on my application is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome gto the forums. We need an MCAT for strong feedback, but here is what details I would need.

6. Paid Clinical Experience= 650 hours as a medical assistant
Volunteer Clinical Experience = 200 hours as a hospital volunteer
9. 400 hours non clinical volunteering

Describe your roles and responsibilities.

Welcome gto the forums. We need an MCAT for strong feedback, but here is what details I would need.

Describe your roles and responsibilities.
For the medical assisting I recorded medical histories, vital signs, weight. I accompanied the doctor to the exam rooms prior to procedures. I helped patients understand what procedure they were having and why they were there. I would transport them to the procedure room. For the clinical volunteering I charted, facilitated discharges, recorded vital signs.

For non clinical volunteering, a big chunk of it is volunteering at a nursing home where I put on games for the residents. I also helped stocking, decorating, and putting on events. I do not consider it clinical because I wasn't working directly with the patients per se.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Post your MCAT score here when available and I will suggest schools.
Thank you! Do you think besides the MCAT, I have a good application? I am not asking if I will get in, because that is contingent on the mcat, but if my other areas are strong. Thank you.