WAMC: ORM 4.0/519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommychester

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
BU
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Rochester
Jefferson
Temple
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
George Washington
Georgetown
U Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
Miami
Vanderbilt
Tulane
St. Louis
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Mayo

Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours as a tutor, starting a new assignment assisting visually impaired individuals
Every premed has some hours of tutoring or teaching, so this does not count in the "non-clinical community service" bucket as much as you think. Can you identify specific community service activities where you are not a subject matter expert or fundraiser (at least 150 hours) in a clinical or health-related setting? You need something with much more hours for places like Georgetown, GW, and Loyola. Why Colorado?

Research experience seems light for applying to brand-name schools on your list. (Duke, specifically.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Every premed has some hours of tutoring or teaching, so this does not count in the "non-clinical community service" bucket as much as you think. Can you identify specific community service activities where you are not a subject matter expert or fundraiser (at least 150 hours) in a clinical or health-related setting? You need something with much more hours for places like Georgetown, GW, and Loyola. Why Colorado?

Research experience seems light for applying to brand-name schools on your list. (Duke, specifically.)

My experience in particular was through a community outreach program at my school that matches tutors with local students if that changes anything. However, I know this is a weakness of mine and I have a new volunteer opportunity that fits my interests that I'll be starting. Despite this, do you think Georgetown, GW, and Loyola should be removed? I also know Duke is a tough sell with the research experience but I really like a lot of things about the school so I'm ok with giving it a shot even though the chances are extremely low. Colorado's on there more tentatively until I research it more to see if I like it enough to travel that far.

Other than those things does my list seem solid? Thank you so much

My experience in particular was through a community outreach program at my school that matches tutors with local students if that changes anything.
Not really. You should be inspiring other students to succeed in school. It's also in your wheelhouse and doesn't take your much out of your comfort zone as an expert.

However, I know this is a weakness of mine and I have a new volunteer opportunity that fits my interests that I'll be starting. Despite this, do you think Georgetown, GW, and Loyola should be removed?
If your activity takes you out your comfort zone where you witness people in distress, and you can rack up 150+ hours, you will avoid getting screened out. If you get to 500+ hours, you have a better shot at those schools. It's your money to spend as a donation to the schools.

I also know Duke is a tough sell with the research experience but I really like a lot of things about the school so I'm ok with giving it a shot even though the chances are extremely low.
A lot of people like Duke too. You still need the overall experience and impactful community service to stay on par with the applicant pool.

Reactions: 1 user