WAMC 4.0/510 URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lasofloxabuterol

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS 4.0cGPA, 4.0sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts. 510 (129/123/130/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) VA, ties to NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race AA Male
  5. Undergraduate institution or category Top 100
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) -6000 Hours paid work experience throughout undergrad into my gap year with the homeless/refugees in field hospitals and shelters in leadership roles. Three different experieces here.
    -300 Hours paid work experience as a covid-19 testing site manager during covid. -100 Hours ED Volunteer.
  7. Research experience and productivity -1000 hours clinical research assistant (volunteer) running device outcomes research on TAVR/TMVR cardiac procedures. (1 pub, 3rd author)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented -200 Hours CT Surgery, Interventional Cardiology, Anesthesia, IM
  9. Non-clinical volunteering -800 Hours as a Disaster Action Team Responder (volunteer) with the Red Cross. -250 Hours as a wish granter (volunteer) with Make a Wish foundation. - 250 Hours with American Cancer Society (volunteer)
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc) -Intramural Basketball, have played all my life.
  11. Relevant honors or awards N/A
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important What schools would be ideal for me?? Are top 20's out of reach?? I think my EC's and GPA are strong enough, however, my MCAT seems to be low relatively speaking. Should I apply DO?? THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
West Virginia
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Duke
Emory
Tulane
Miami
St. Louis
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati
Georgetown
George Washington
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Dartmouth
Brown
Boston University
Tufts
Mayo

Do you think my CARS score of 123 will hold me back despite the 510?? No need to go to a top 20 I just wanted to gauge how competitive my application is because UVA is my ideal choice and their median is 518.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think my CARS score of 123 will hold me back despite the 510?? No need to go to a top 20 I just wanted to gauge how competitive my application is because UVA is my ideal choice and their median is 518.
No. The AA applicant pool is small and only ~300 apply each year with a GPA greater than 3.6 and a MCAT of 508+. That is only 2 per MD school in the entire country.

No. The AA applicant pool is small and only ~300 apply each year with a GPA greater than 3.6 and a MCAT of 508+. That is only 2 per MD school in the entire country.
Thank you for your response! Do you think NYU, Columbia, and Duke are reaches?

Rock star application here! Good work. Don't sweat the CARS score. You can give T20s a shot (don't expect to get flooded with acceptances) but I think you will get into an MD without too much trouble if you apply early, broadly, and with good essays and LORs.

Rock star application here! Good work. Don't sweat the CARS score. You can give T20s a shot (don't expect to get flooded with acceptances) but I think you will get into an MD without too much trouble if you apply early, broadly, and with good essays and LORs.
Thanks for your response! Do you think that applying to some upper tier schools with my MCAT being under their 10th percentile would be reasonable given the rest of my app?