MD & DO WAMC - planning to apply 19-20 cycle // 3.3cGPA + lots of ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azizi_az

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Junior (major - biomedical sciences)

Country/state of residence: US/Wisconsin

Schools to which you are applying: Philadelphia College of Medicine, Midwestern COM Chicago, Loyola Chicago, Medical College of WI, Touro(all maybe?), *also need help compiling list of where to apply!!!

Cumulative GPA: 3.32 (strong upward trend, messed up sophomore year and am retaking a class due to a bad grade)

Non-Science GPA: 3.72 (all the classes besides science classes)

Science GPA: 3.1

MCAT Scores: Aiming for 510+ (MCAT on June 1 2019)

Research – undergraduate research assistant in neuroscience lab studying binge-eating feeding patterns in rats for 2 years now, started second semester freshman year; received Honors Summer Research Fellowship for independent summer research in 2016 with a stipend and worked intensively with PI and graduate students; presented research in Fellowship Fair, Biodiscovery Research symposium (university-wide); have 2 publication in Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology.

Volunteering (clinical) – ~400+ hours in a hospital, have been volunteering for same healthcare group for 6 years now (have done all volunteer roles, and now train incoming volunteers); ~30-40 hours in local free medical clinic for the financially disadvantaged

Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties: Pediatrics (10 hours 3 physicians), Surgery (30 hours - 10 procedure), Anaesthesiology (30 hours, cases in a variety of procedures directly with the physician), Orthopedic Surgery (2 procedures)

Non-clinical volunteering: Campus Kitchen (recycling unused food to send to different sites in city), volunteered with fundraiser-luncheons in local temple for 2 years, go to India and donate books/shoes/uniforms to children in poor areas/schools

Extracurricular activities: AMSA, SOMA, Research Assistant, MU Brain Brigade (leadership role - content development chair to make neurosci content to present to ~120 local HS students to help them pursue STEM after high school), Delta Xi Phi Multicultural Sorority (philanthropy chair, social external chairperson, multicultural committee)

Employment history: Digital Programs Undergrad Assistant in special collections in campus library, biology tutor for EOP (educational opportunity program in college that gives talented but financially disadvantaged HS students resources to do well)

Please include time span and weekly commitment for volunteering/research/shadowing/extracurriculars.: Hospital Volunteering (5 years+ and 8 hours every month during semester), Local Free Clinic (4 months and 1-2 times a month for 3 hours), Research (depending on semester, 3-4 hours per week), Shadowing (only have done it during breaks)

Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No

Specialty of interest: Surgery or OB/GYN

Shadowing experience: General Surgeon (MD - 30+hours) & Anaenesthiologist (DO - 30+ hours)

Graduate (degree no, but experience in the industry) -- Cardiology Business Intern for Philips Healthcare in their cardiology unit working with clinicians in the summer of 2018 (paid internship) & have a cardiology journal review article on Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its future use in diagnostic imaging.

**Interest in rural health (y/n): **Maybe, I'm not too exposed to it but would not mind

I would appreciate any and all support and information that you have to offer!!

-Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Come back when you have an MCAT score, and then we can advise.
Hi Goro, I don't take the MCAT until June so I wanted to know if I should even prepare getting materials for an application this cycle. Like LORs and finances. Do you have advice based on my stats right now?