WAMC-----Osteopathic/MD Schools I should apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TroubledKing1

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if I could get advice on what osteopathic schools (I would love advice on MD schools outside of Texas also!) I should apply to.

-I am a Texas resident, white male
-I have 1000+ Hours clinical volunteering at a Homeless/underserved clinic
-200+ non clinical volunteering focused on underserved.
-300+ hours shadowing an MD in underserved primary care setting
-My cGPA is more or less 3.79 and my sGPA is 3.6 more or less (I say more or less because I don't know how AACOMAS/AMCAS/TMDSAS will calculate the GPAs).
-I just took my MCAT on April 12th and I want to say I scored between 502-507 (I didn't do well in CARS if I had to guess, I've never been good at CARS and always score below average while my other sections are higher).
-I have 3 letters of recommendation-- two very strong ones from a volunteer coordinator and physician, a likely generic one from a science teacher where I made an A in his class.

-I unfortunately don't have any research nor have I found a DO willing to take me on for shadowing. My future plans include actively hunting for research, finding a DO to shadow, scribing, and doing more community volunteering.

To kind of state the obvious, I've built my app/personal statement around underserved settings and I have an interest in public health, underserved populations, and I would like to do primary care one day.

I would appreciate any advice to improve my chances and please comment any other things you need to know for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you grow up in Texas? Texas likes relatively high GPAs but also prefers applicants with local connections to communities near them (though a few exceptions exist). TCOM should be on your list. Add VCOM which will treat Texas applicants with preference.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you grow up in Texas? Texas likes relatively high GPAs but also prefers applicants with local connections to communities near them (though a few exceptions exist). TCOM should be on your list. Add VCOM which will treat Texas applicants with preference.
Hi, I grew up in the Houston area! TCOM will surely be on my list as I'm applying to all schools in Texas. And thank you for mentioning VCOM, I'm quite unfamiliar with what schools to apply outside Texas to so It's awesome to hear about their preference. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
MD outside of TX is a no go.

You don't need research for DO, and many schools dumped the DO shadowing requirement (but having it always helps).

For DO schools, I suggest:
all those in TX
OKCOM
TUNCOM
all VCOMs
KYCOM
WCU
DMU
KCOM
KCU
Western
TUNCOM
MUCOM
Touro-CA
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
ARCOM
NYITCOM.AR

MD outside of TX is a no go.

You don't need research for DO, and many schools dumped the DO shadowing requirement (but having it always helps).

For DO schools, I suggest:
all those in TX
OKCOM
TUNCOM
all VCOMs
KYCOM
WCU
DMU
KCOM
KCU
Western
TUNCOM
MUCOM
Touro-CA
AZCOM (but watch tuition!)
ARCOM
NYITCOM.AR
Thank you so much for the list! Since I'm a Texas resident, are MD schools outside Texas generally biased against us? I only ask because I was wondering if there are any select MD schools worth applying to outside Texas.

Thank you so much for the list! Since I'm a Texas resident, are MD schools outside Texas generally biased against us? I only ask because I was wondering if there are any select MD schools worth applying to outside Texas.
That will depend on your MCAT, if it turns out good you could apply to a few OOS

One has a be a superstar to get accepted outside of TX, as the MD schools know that Texans love that cheap TX tuition!

It's also truly impossible to answer your question since you don't know your actual MCAT score, and dealing with hypotheticals is not a good use of time.