Wake Forest Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EvoDevo said:
No problem. BTW, if you check my saga link, the "crazy story" is finally explained. :thumbup:

I just caught it :) thanks for telling it, I'm honestly impressed that you were able to push yourself to do those applications in the midst of all those feelings.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I'm relatively new to SDN so I don't know anyone except Jllander but since I'll be in WS , can i come too?

SAL0320 said:
Count me in too! I think dinner Sunday sounds good . . . since 8:30 is pretty early on Monday morning - however I'm up for whatever you guys want to do!
:)

Carolinek83 said:
Hey guys,
I'm relatively new to SDN so I don't know anyone except Jllander but since I'll be in WS , can i come too?

yes please come!

updating list:
pre-orientation bar hop list:
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house
Burke Street Pub -- near 1st st.
Gatsby's Pub -- near 1st st.
Fusion -- near 1st st.
West End Tap Room

Members don't see this ad :)
erock said:
bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house
Fusion -- near 1st st.
West End Tap Room

Wow, there is more bars in W-S than I thought...

Post-exam time is starting to look up!

Kuma
erock said:
yes please come!

updating list:
Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house
Fusion -- near 1st st.
West End Tap Room

Which hospital are we in for years 3 and 4? Do we spend a lot of time at Forsyth Memorial?
Anyone?

kuma said:
Which hospital are we in for years 3 and 4? Do we spend a lot of time at Forsyth Memorial?
Anyone?

Baptist. only 1 or 2 rotations at forsyth.

nockamura said:
Hey, since I got in relatively late I haven't gotten any information. Have you guys finalized all your financial aid stuff? I didn't fill out the CSS because my family makes too much for me to be considered for need-based aid. What loans did you go with and how much non-federal aid are you borrowing? Also, can someone tell me what that first week's schedule looks like and what, if any, vacations we will get this first year?

The total financial aid budget is ~50K. 40K of that will be covered by gov. loans and the other 10K will be private.

I'm in WS right now looking for housing, and was hoping that some kind soul would let me crash on their floor. I have an aerobed, and bedding. I had to spend a wad of cash to fly out here, so any help would be great.
If you could help me out please PM me, or post here telling me how to get a hold of you.

Thank you.

kuma said:
I'm in WS right now looking for housing, and was hoping that some kind soul would let me crash on their floor. I have an aerobed, and bedding. I had to spend a wad of cash to fly out here, so any help would be great.
If you could help me out please PM me, or post here telling me how to get a hold of you.

Thank you.
Where are you staying now?

The Holiday Inn.
Cultural shock down here right now.
I'm from San Francisco.

kuma said:
The Holiday Inn.
Cultural shock down here right now.
I'm from San Francisco.

You should buy some Rice-a-roni for yourself tonight then ;).

Have you tried messaging some of the active Wake Foresters on here from the class of 08 or 07 to see if they wouldn't mind taking in a student for a day or two?

Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine
1st street draft house
Fusion -- near 1st st. (so-so place)
West End Tap Room
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)
Silver Moon Saloon -- great hole-in-the-wall bar off trade st.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump (just to piss off TypeB-md) :smuggrin:

There are so many bars on the list now that I'm thinking we should hit 4-5 of them. I can't choose just one.

I talked to some of the 3rd years, and a second year. He said that it was kind of competitive amongst the students in his class. I think that has a lot to do with the grading.
I'm not sure that I'm going to WF anymore.
I don't think that the environment is right for me, big city in the South maybe, but a small town in the South is hard. I had a knot in my stomach the entire time I was down there about if this was the right place for me.
I think that I'm going to being going to U of Minnesota.

kuma said:
I talked to some of the 3rd years, and a second year. He said that it was kind of competitive amongst the students in his class. I think that has a lot to do with the grading.
I'm not sure that I'm going to WF anymore.
I don't think that the environment is right for me, big city in the South maybe, but a small town in the South is hard. I had a knot in my stomach the entire time I was down there about if this was the right place for me.
I think that I'm going to being going to U of Minnesota.

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you but I'm glad you have the option to go somewhere else. Good luck man. Interestingly enough I'm making this post from 20th street and Valencia in SF :)

I have a full tuition scholarship at WF. I just want a place that I'm gonig to fit in a little better. Maybe it's not the right choice but it is what feels best to me and my gut.

kuma said:
I have a full tuition scholarship at WF. I just want a place that I'm gonig to fit in a little better. Maybe it's not the right choice but it is what feels best to me and my gut.

definitely go with the gut feeling -- some schools are just better fits than others for different people. Good luck wherever you end up.

kuma said:

Wow. I can't imagine walking away from a full tuition scholarship.

It's funny that I had seen complaints on "interview feedback" that Wake didn't give any scholarship money to out-of-staters. According to Kuma and DrThom that is not the case.

Anyway, I agree with erock. Do what makes you happy. For me, a full tuition scholarship = happy, but to each his/her own.

Hey everybody, I'm going to Wakeforest too, I haven't used the forum for a couple weeks so I just checked out this post for the first time, let me see if I can catch up.

I'm heading out a couple of days before orientation, I've already got an apartment set up, I don't know the name of the neighborhood but its across the street from the YMCA i think and biking distance from school.
Is anyone else living near there?

Yeah.. free laptops are pretty sweet especially with fingerprint scanners and everything.

Hey Kuma can I have your scholarship if your not using it? Just kidding good luck to you.

I guess thats it, oh yeah did I hear something about drinks..?

desertcat said:
Hey everybody, I'm going to Wakeforest too, I haven't used the forum for a couple weeks so I just checked out this post for the first time, let me see if I can catch up.

I'm heading out a couple of days before orientation, I've already got an apartment set up, I don't know the name of the neighborhood but its across the street from the YMCA i think and biking distance from school.
Is anyone else living near there?

Yeah.. free laptops are pretty sweet especially with fingerprint scanners and everything.

Hey Kuma can I have your scholarship if your not using it? Just kidding good luck to you.

I guess thats it, oh yeah did I hear something about drinks..?

Cool Deal desertcat! I'm also living in an apartment near the YMCA. The neighborhood is called the West End. It is definitely within a short bike ride to the medical school. I'll be on N. Sunset Road. When I was up there looking around it looked like a neighborhood that was populated with a lot of medical students / hospital employees. Supposively we also get a really good deal if we want to join the Y as med students.

I wonder if people turn down scholarships at this point if they reallocate financial aid to anyone else? Sure would be nice :)

Hey everyone! I just got off the waitlist this monday and will be attending Wake also ! :D It took me a looong time to read all the posts on this thread.. but I am finally caught up ! :) I am from california so this will defintely be a change for me. I guess looking for a place to live will be a challenge now. So from what I gathered, ardmore is the place to live if you want to walk to campus and Clemmons if you have a car?
Oh !Add me to the sunday night dinner list :)

Did wake require a CSS profile also? I didn't fill one out , it deadline is probably over too.

if ya'll want a deal at the Y you're going to have to apply for financial assistance - there isn't an automatic "student" deal. just ask for the paperwork... if you had a real job heading in you might have trouble b/c you'll have an income but just talk to them. i had under $20/month the whole time i was there (class of 2005, now in chicago).

why on earth would you want to live in clemmons? very few ppl live out that way - most students live in ardmore. it's a big area and you can't walk from all of it unless you like to walk over a mile to school. that said there are plenty of areas from which you can walk. i walked my first 2 yrs and drove a short distance the last 2. now i'm spoiled and live 1/2 mile from my new hospital, lol.

PM me w/ any questions ya'll have... it's not a bed of roses but wake was a pretty enjoyable, less stressful than most place to go to med school.

DoctorMalki said:
Hey everyone! I just got off the waitlist this monday and will be attending Wake also ! :D It took me a looong time to read all the posts on this thread.. but I am finally caught up ! :) I am from california so this will defintely be a change for me. I guess looking for a place to live will be a challenge now. So from what I gathered, ardmore is the place to live if you want to walk to campus and Clemmons if you have a car?
Oh !Add me to the sunday night dinner list :)

Did wake require a CSS profile also? I didn't fill one out , it deadline is probably over too.

Congratulations! The deadline is way past but go ahead and fill one out and turn it in. Have you filled out the Wake Forest financial aid form as well?

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/FinancialAid/

WF Form: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/FinancialAid/Financial+Aid+Forms.htm

Hmmm...I didn't fill anything out except the FAFSA (I think my parents make too much for me to get institutional aid). Do I need to file PROFILE for private loans?

Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine :thumbup: :thumbup:
1st street draft house :thumbup:
Fusion -- near 1st st. (so-so place, not the best) :thumbdown:
West End Tap Room
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)
Silver Moon Saloon -- great hole-in-the-wall bar off trade st. :thumbup: :thumbup:

erock said:
Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine :thumbup: :thumbup:
1st street draft house :thumbup:
Fusion -- near 1st st. (so-so place, not the best) :thumbdown:
West End Tap Room
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)
Silver Moon Saloon -- great hole-in-the-wall bar off trade st. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Whatever happened to CharlieVN? He started the thread and he's not even on the list.

On the financial aid question, I don't think you need to fill out PROFILE to get loans. You could check with Brenda Mimms at (336) 716-2889.

I called Melissa today and she told me that the deadline for the profile was april 1 and that is need based aid given from private sources. She said that I would probably not get any aid because it was so late but I could still try.

So does everyone have their private loans finalized...because I don't. What lender are you planning on using?

HEY!

If any of you are still looking for a place to live, I got a suggestion for you.

Glen Eagles Apartments.

I just signed a committment there with a few other first year med students and its gonna be the rockin place to live. 8 min drive to the medical school (its right off of 421) and the apts are relatively new (about 10 years old).

Right now they have hellsa specials. I got an 1100 sq ft apt for 660/month when its usually 825/month. A couple kids I went around with also got a 1050 sq ft place for 630/month.

If we can get a bunch of the first years all lving around each other, how awesome would that be?

Check out their website:

www.colonialprop.com

Click on Apartment Homes, then Winston-Salem, then Glen Eagles.

DO IT!

Edit: Forgot to mention that they waive the application fee and the $250 deposit cause you are students going to Wake.

Hey I'm living in Glen Eagles too! Glad to hear that there'll be other 1st years there - It was a really great community, my roommate and I got a really good deal on the rent (and they waived our fees too), and its only like a 6-8 minute drive to the medical center.

After about 3 days of apartment shopping, we picked it over stuff in Ardmore and closer areas to the medical center for a bunch of reasons:

1) the apartments in the Ardmore area are, for lack of a better term, very shoddy-looking. They were very small, almost falling apart, and did not seem very well maintained. For only about 100 bucks a month more, Glen Eagles is far superior in terms of quality of living.

2) A friend of mine who just graduated from the medical school recommended (from experience) not living in the Ardmore apartments. He said that the proximity to the medical school is a nice thing to have, but him and his friends that lived there never liked their living conditions. Because we get parking permits, driving/parking is not as huge an issue as one might think.

3) The area where Glen Eagles is (West W-S) seemed much nicer than the area around the med center.

Even if you don't like Glen Eagles, there's about 5-6 different apartment complexes in that same area, so you have a selection to choose from. We only really looked at apartments, so if you're interested in a house then ignore everything I said - hope this helps anybody who's still looking for a place

Thanks a lot for the info Kumanati and DrThom. The apartments sound great but I won't have a car there so it'll be kinda hard for me to live there. Did an of you find decent one bedroom apartments within walkins distance of the hospital? I won't be able to make a trip to WS until right before orientation, so any information about apartments is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton! :) How is everyone's weekend going?

DoctorMalki said:
Thanks a lot for the info Kumanati and DrThom. The apartments sound great but I won't have a car there so it'll be kinda hard for me to live there. Did an of you find decent one bedroom apartments within walkins distance of the hospital? I won't be able to make a trip to WS until right before orientation, so any information about apartments is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton! :) How is everyone's weekend going?

There are two apartment complexes that I found within walking distance (up to 1 mile) from the medical center: Ardmore Terrace (Wilson-Covington is the name of the company that owns the apartments, I believe) and Miller Park. Ardmore Terrace is on Cloverdale Avenue right by the medical center, and Miller Park is also under a mile away. I dont remember what their one bedroom rates/sizes were, but those are two options that I know of.

Good luck and see you in about a month and a half -

IT"S OFFICIAL!!!! I graduated from college today!!! Wooo hooo!!

Kumanati said:
There are two apartment complexes that I found within walking distance (up to 1 mile) from the medical center: Ardmore Terrace (Wilson-Covington is the name of the company that owns the apartments, I believe) and Miller Park. Ardmore Terrace is on Cloverdale Avenue right by the medical center, and Miller Park is also under a mile away. I dont remember what their one bedroom rates/sizes were, but those are two options that I know of.

Good luck and see you in about a month and a half -

Thanks so much for the info! :) Do you remember if they were decent looking? I'l definately look into them.

jllander said:
IT"S OFFICIAL!!!! I graduated from college today!!! Wooo hooo!!

Congratulations!! :hardy: :clap:

DoctorMalki said:
Thanks so much for the info! :) Do you remember if they were decent looking? I'l definately look into them.

I saw some of the Wison-Covington apartments and they were awful. You should check out Apartments & Condos for Rent. There you will find apartments in Ardmore within walking distance and you can probably get the owners to e-mail some digital photos so that you can shop around without making the trip to W-S. These will not be located in an apartment complex. They will most likely be small houses or larger houses that are divided into apartments. If you need to be able to walk to the hospital, then these are your best bet. The nice apartment complexes are too far and the Wilson-Covington complexes are totally ghetto.

Does wakeforest have a white coat ceremony, or is that only for dentist? My parents want to know, anybody got any ideas?

desertcat said:
Does wakeforest have a white coat ceremony, or is that only for dentist? My parents want to know, anybody got any ideas?

I do believe it is second year.

Correct me if I am wrong.

i61164 said:
I saw some of the Wison-Covington apartments and they were awful. You should check out Apartments & Condos for Rent. There you will find apartments in Ardmore within walking distance and you can probably get the owners to e-mail some digital photos so that you can shop around without making the trip to W-S. These will not be located in an apartment complex. They will most likely be small houses or larger houses that are divided into apartments. If you need to be able to walk to the hospital, then these are your best bet. The nice apartment complexes are too far and the Wilson-Covington complexes are totally ghetto.

I agree - the Wilson-Covington ones are ghetto as hell, and the Miller Park ones arent much better.

i61164 said:

Thanks for the info ! I really appreciate it. I am looking into maybe bringing my car now. I have finals next week so I will start looking into the moving situation after that.

Anyone else just get the survival guide today? I was kind of surprised they did one of those mass email things where you can see everyone's address. It was kind of fun to comb through them to see what undergrads were represented.

yeah I got the survival guide today too. I thought that was really nice of them to put something like that together for us. Its 60 some pages though! and there are no movie theatres in winston. That was kinda surprising.

DoctorMalki said:
yeah I got the survival guide today too. I thought that was really nice of them to put something like that together for us. Its 60 some pages though! and there are no movie theatres in winston. That was kinda surprising.

fear not ... Winston Salem has these theaters:

Movie Theaters:*
There are not many movie theaters in Winston, but to check the weekly movie schedule, check out www.moviephone.com.

Marketplace Cinema: 2095 Peters Creek Parkway $2!! 725-464

Carmike 10: 3608 Reynolda Rd.* 922-1301

Wynnsong 12: Stadium seating, 1501 Hanes Mall Blvd.* 765-5875

Films on Fourth: Art house movies at the Stephens Center. 405 West Fourth Street. www.cinemasociety.org/films-on-fourth/index.html

*Wake Forest Undergraduate campus has a small movie theater at the Benson Center with recent movies everyday – showings are listed in the monthly calendar (tickets are two dollars).
*Discount tickets for some theaters are available at the Medical Center post office.

erock said:
*Discount tickets for some theaters are available at the Medical Center post office.

Damn, I just finished my first year and I didn't even know that.

Bars, our class met at the Fox and Hound before orientation and had a couple of other gatherings, from the e-mail list they sent out.

Ok. I'm sending it, but it'll take awhile to upload (it's ~7MB). Check at about 9:45 Pacific time.