Wake Forest Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nockamura said:
Ok. I'm sending it, but it'll take awhile to upload (it's ~7MB). Check at about 9:45 Pacific time.

Got it! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! I just spoke with the lady from glen eagles. The apartments sound great and I decided that I will be getting a car there so I could live further away. Thanks for letting me know about their special promotion :) The one bedroom apartment is $615 but they are $530. That is a much better rate than a lot of one bedroom apartments in the ardmore area. Did you guys looks at both the old and new phases of the apartments? The unit I will be getting is in the older phase. I think one was built in 1987 the others in 1997.

Also, are you all taking your current cars or buying a new/ used car there?

DoctorMalki said:
hey guys! I just spoke with the lady from glen eagles. The apartments sound great and I decided that I will be getting a car there so I could live further away. Thanks for letting me know about their special promotion :) The one bedroom apartment is $615 but they are $530. That is a much better rate than a lot of one bedroom apartments in the ardmore area. Did you guys looks at both the old and new phases of the apartments? The unit I will be getting is in the older phase. I think one was built in 1987 the others in 1997.

Also, are you all taking your current cars or buying a new/ used car there?

When I went, I looked at apts in both the old and new phases. While the new phase (where I ended up) is indeed newer, I don't think you are losing any quality by living in the old phase. Those apts were still very nice and clean and the applicances still looked like they had many years left in them. I'm stoked you chose Glen Eagles. We need to get more first years out there!

As far as cars go, I am taking my current car. It does me no use sitting here at home. :p

Just found this thread. Congrats to all of you on your med school acceptances to Wake :thumbup: I, on the otherhand, am also attending Wake in the fall, but for their PhD program, not medicine.

You peeps want to hang with a grad student? ;)

Anyways, congrats! Maybe I'll bump into some of you guys there! :)

solid snake said:
Just found this thread. Congrats to all of you on your med school acceptances to Wake :thumbup: I, on the otherhand, am also attending Wake in the fall, but for their PhD program, not medicine.

You peeps want to hang with a grad student? ;)

Anyways, congrats! Maybe I'll bump into some of you guys there! :)

Cool, what are you studying?

Kumanati said:
I just sent it -

Thanks to all three of you that sent it. Wake tried to mail it to my hotmail account and either it ended up in junk mail or didn't go through.

7MB is too big for hotmail probably. Want a gmail account?

DrThom said:
I do believe it is second year.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Hey all, I'm an MSIII at Wake, just poking around this thread while procrastinating for the medicine shelf :) The white coat ceremony is in the fall of your second year. The timing is a little silly since you will have already had a white coat to wear on the wards for a year, but I guess we are a little *special* in that respect.

Just wanted to say welcome to you all, good luck moving and getting settled in and all that good stuff. If any of you want any inside info about the school or Winston feel free to PM me or post a question here, I'll be around :)

hey guys, do you know i wake requires a mandatory research project during the summer between MS I and MS II ?

Members don't see this ad :)
DoctorMalki said:
hey guys, do you know i wake requires a mandatory research project during the summer between MS I and MS II ?
no

nicedoc said:
did i miss something. How come i didn't get a survival guide.

PM me your email address and I can forward it to you.

hey everyone, if you guys are still looking for a place to live, I talked to this lady today who manages apartments owned by the university. The one bedroom apartment was $315/month. I will get more information about exactly where they are next week and will post it then for anyone who is interested.

I hope you all have a great weekend !

I am graduating tomrorow so I am really excited !! :)

DoctorMalki said:
hey everyone, if you guys are still looking for a place to live, I talked to this lady today who manages apartments owned by the university. The one bedroom apartment was $315/month. I will get more information about exactly where they are next week and will post it then for anyone who is interested.

I hope you all have a great weekend !

I am graduating tomrorow so I am really excited !! :)

Congrats on your graduation!

I'm definitely interested in one of those apts. Who should I contact? (I tried to PM but couldn't).

What are you guys doing about internet service? I was just on BellSouth's website to order my new phone service and they offer 3 different levels of DSL. Right now I have cable internet through Time Warner, but I'm not sure how it compares to DSL. Last time I was shopping for an ISP I think there was only 1 level of DSL, so I'm not sure if they have gotten faster or if they are just offering 2 slower versions of it now. Anyway, the fastest DSL was $55/month which seemed too high. I pay $42/month for cable internet now.

I want to get this set up ahead of time so I'll be up and running right when I get to W-S. I would hate to have to go several days without SDN. :scared:

i61164 said:
What are you guys doing about internet service? I was just on BellSouth's website to order my new phone service and they offer 3 different levels of DSL. Right now I have cable internet through Time Warner, but I'm not sure how it compares to DSL. Last time I was shopping for an ISP I think there was only 1 level of DSL, so I'm not sure if they have gotten faster or if they are just offering 2 slower versions of it now. Anyway, the fastest DSL was $55/month which seemed too high. I pay $42/month for cable internet now.

I want to get this set up ahead of time so I'll be up and running right when I get to W-S. I would hate to have to go several days without SDN. :scared:

Keep the cable internet.

Cable usually outperforms DSL anyday.

I agree with DrThom -- stick with cable. Bellsouth DSL is okay, but not as good as cable. I've had both and prefer Earthlink or RR (both with Time Warner). I just hooked up Earthlink cable internet in the house and it's about 4Mbps download/384kbps upload -- $10 cheaper than the highest speed Bellsouth option which only makes it up to 3Mbps down/ 384 up.

i61164 said:

erock said:
I agree with DrThom -- stick with cable. Bellsouth DSL is okay, but not as good as cable. I've had both and prefer Earthlink or RR (both with Time Warner). I just hooked up Earthlink cable internet in the house and it's about 4Mbps download/384kbps upload -- $10 cheaper than the highest speed Bellsouth option which only makes it up to 3Mbps down/ 384 up.

Thanks a bunch. You guys really took the guesswork out of it. Here's another techy question. Once we get our laptops, my wife and I will have a desktop and a laptop. The cable modem will be hooked up to our desktop. I think I need a router if I want to get online with the laptop from home. Any recommendations? Is there anything else I will need? I'm probably not going to run out and buy anything until we actually get our laptops, but I'll probably start shopping around on-line.

I couldn't possibly turn down a bar tour my first weekend in W-S. I'll be there... (and i was at 6th and Vine last year, very, very good...) :D

Brian

i61164 said:
Thanks a bunch. You guys really took the guesswork out of it. Here's another techy question. Once we get our laptops, my wife and I will have a desktop and a laptop. The cable modem will be hooked up to our desktop. I think I need a router if I want to get online with the laptop from home. Any recommendations? Is there anything else I will need? I'm probably not going to run out and buy anything until we actually get our laptops, but I'll probably start shopping around on-line.

I use the Linksys Wireless G router. Whatever you end up going with make sure it has wireless. Just buy it, plug the connection into the uplink port on the router and it usually works.

a stable router is all you'll need to connect both PC's -- good ones out there are D-link or linksys brands. I use D-link's wireless router DI-524 -- 4 ports in back for desktop/stationary PC's and wireless for laptop's -- and it works well. D-link's router is already at a good price, but there is also a $20 mail-in rebate making it even cheaper. As for linksys, I've heard good things about their wireless router WRT54G.

it's also a good idea to setup some kind of encryption -- WEP is okay, but WPA is much better. I've had trouble with WPA on my d-link so I just use a 128 bit WEP key. Most routers come with encryption disabled by default.

i61164 said:

warrenb733 said:
I couldn't possibly turn down a bar tour my first weekend in W-S. I'll be there... (and i was at 6th and Vine last year, very, very good...) :D

Brian

updates:
1st st. is the best bar I've been to in W-S. Nice atmosphere, good beer selection, and decent food for a bar. Plus it's only a few minutes walk from the medical center.

pre-orientation bar hop list:
Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki
warrenb733

bars/restaurants:
6th and Vine :thumbup: :thumbup:
1st street draft house :thumbup: :thumbup:
Burke Street Pub -- near 1st st.
Gatsby's Pub -- near 1st st.
Fusion -- near 1st st. (so-so place, not the best) :thumbdown:
West End Tap Room
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)
Silver Moon Saloon -- great hole-in-the-wall bar off trade st. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey guys,
I've been browsing for a bit now and I guess it's time to introduce myself and get on the list for the bar hop. Also, we should definitely add West End Cafe and 4th St. Filling Station to the list of restaurants, both are great.

I'll be moving most of my stuff to Winston this weekend and then going to be there permanently after July 5. Anyone else going to be around that early?

- Ryan

Duke '04
WFUSOM '09

erock said:
updates:
1st st. is the best bar I've been to in W-S. Nice atmosphere, good beer selection, and decent food for a bar. Plus it's only a few minutes walk from the medical center.

Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki
warrenb733

bars/restaurants:
West End Tap Room
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)
Silver Moon Saloon -- great hole-in-the-wall bar off trade st. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yo Ryan, I didn't know you were going to WF - this is Kunal

rvasan said:
Hey guys,
I've been browsing for a bit now and I guess it's time to introduce myself and get on the list for the bar hop. Also, we should definitely add West End Cafe and 4th St. Filling Station to the list of restaurants, both are great.

I'll be moving most of my stuff to Winston this weekend and then going to be there permanently after July 5. Anyone else going to be around that early?

- Ryan

Duke '04
WFUSOM '09

I'll be there July 3rd.

rvasan said:
Hey guys,

- Ryan

Duke '04
WFUSOM '09

I'm in Winston now, and will be around when you get here.

Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki
warrenb733
rvasan

bars/restaurants:
West End Tap Room
West End Cafe
4th St. Filling Station
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)

Question for those who already go to Wake but I know lurk on this board:

A good friend of mine got me a Philips Rappaport Sprague stethoscope as a gift.

Is there some sort of steth requirement at Wake or can I use what he gave me? (and I have heard nothing but good things about this steth)

Hey Guys, congrats to all that have been accepted, we are all looking forward to meeting you guys. Our class (the second years) busted our butts to get out the survival guide as early as possible to you guys, I hope it is usefull (we didn't get it until we arrived on campus). As for whitecoat, yeah the ceremony is during second year... really strange. As for stethoscopes... you will need to have one, but you can have whatever you want. They will have some reps come in from Welch-Allyn and 3M during orientation, but it doesn't matter what you have. As for internet you will probably want cable modems, probably RR or Earthlink - both are Time Warner. As for the router, you probably will want a Wireless G router. You will want a nice fast and reliable internet to download all those powerpoints and audio files from all the lectures you are skipping. Well maybe that was just me, but it sure was nice to sleep in till 9 and study in my pajamas.

Don't worry we do have movie theatres. But that is about it. Anyways, PM if you have any more questions, or I will check back here as well. Good luck and enjoy your summers.

Dr. Thom, I have also heard nothing but good things about the Rappaport. It will definitely work just fine, if you already have one then you are completely set. No worries at all.

Hi everyone,

I have been reading your posts for a long time as I too desperately hope to join the class of 2009 at wfu. It was exciting reading entries when people got accepted off the list and I would day dream about when I would receive that treasured phone call. Sadly though, reality is dawning on me that I may not hear from Wake this time around and would have to reapply as I have no acceptance anywhere. I did everything I was told to do when I got waitlisted - sending out 3 letters of intent, additional recommendations and an abstract of my senior thesis. The truth is that I do not want to give up hope but I know that July 25th is not very far away and perhaps there's going to be little or no movement from the list at this point.

Do you guys think I still have a chance. I would greatly appreciate your candid opinion and any suggestions you might have to help me out. I do not want to be too hopeful and then be crushed at the end of the whole thing, but then again I want to have faith.

Thanks guys
:)

lepetite said:
Hi everyone,

I have been reading your posts for a long time as I too desperately hope to join the class of 2009 at wfu. It was exciting reading entries when people got accepted off the list and I would day dream about when I would receive that treasured phone call. Sadly though, reality is dawning on me that I may not hear from Wake this time around and would have to reapply as I have no acceptance anywhere. I did everything I was told to do when I got waitlisted - sending out 3 letters of intent, additional recommendations and an abstract of my senior thesis. The truth is that I do not want to give up hope but I know that July 25th is not very far away and perhaps there's going to be little or no movement from the list at this point.

Do you guys think I still have a chance. I would greatly appreciate your candid opinion and any suggestions you might have to help me out. I do not want to be too hopeful and then be crushed at the end of the whole thing, but then again I want to have faith.

Thanks guys

I got in to WF off the waitlist on July 14. Yes, that would be two weeks before orientation started. There are few in my class who got even later than I did. I don't know if you know how far down the waitlist you are, but if you are in the top five I would say there is a decent chance. I wouldn't say it's likely you'll get in this late, but it certainly is possible :)

Hey Guys,
I didn't have a chance to read through the entire thread, but congrats to everyone who got in. Some encouraging news for fellow waitlisters: I just got a call from Wake, making sure I am still interested because I am next on the waitlist. Some guy is supposed to defer on Monday, then I'm in! I had completely given up on this cyle because I met with admissions and they told me I was around 1/3 of the way down. So keep the faith, the list is moving!

DeaconMD04 said:
Hey Guys,
I didn't have a chance to read through the entire thread, but congrats to everyone who got in. Some encouraging news for fellow waitlisters: I just got a call from Wake, making sure I am still interested because I am next on the waitlist. Some guy is supposed to defer on Monday, then I'm in! I had completely given up on this cyle because I met with admissions and they told me I was around 1/3 of the way down. So keep the faith, the list is moving!

Congratulations! Don't give up hope Lepetite.

themann said:
Hey Guys, congrats to all that have been accepted, we are all looking forward to meeting you guys. Our class (the second years) busted our butts to get out the survival guide as early as possible to you guys, I hope it is usefull (we didn't get it until we arrived on campus).

I just got mine in my real mailbox today. Thanks!

DeaconMD04 said:
Hey Guys,

Congrats! :thumbup:

I just got mine too. Thanks MSII!!
((Could someone teach me how to reply to multiple posts at once?? ))

themann said:
Hey Guys, congrats to all that have been accepted, we are all looking forward to meeting you guys. Our class (the second years) busted our butts to get out the survival guide as early as possible to you guys, I hope it is usefull (we didn't get it until we arrived on campus). As for whitecoat, yeah the ceremony is during second year... really strange. As for stethoscopes... you will need to have one, but you can have whatever you want. They will have some reps come in from Welch-Allyn and 3M during orientation, but it doesn't matter what you have. As for internet you will probably want cable modems, probably RR or Earthlink - both are Time Warner. As for the router, you probably will want a Wireless G router. You will want a nice fast and reliable internet to download all those powerpoints and audio files from all the lectures you are skipping. Well maybe that was just me, but it sure was nice to sleep in till 9 and study in my pajamas.

Don't worry we do have movie theatres. But that is about it. Anyways, PM if you have any more questions, or I will check back here as well. Good luck and enjoy your summers.
:D :D

Carolinek83 said:

I open a lot of windows when I browse. This is a lot easier now that I use firefox to browse with. Anyways, what you do is make two reply windows and copy the quote out of one window and paste it into another.

Medikit said:
I open a lot of windows when I browse. This is a lot easier now that I use firefox to browse with. Anyways, what you do is make two reply windows and copy the quote out of one window and paste it into another.

Carolinek83 said:
I just got mine too. Thanks MSII!!

:D :D

Like this?
OHhhhhh... :) Thanks Medikit!

DeaconMD04 said:
Hey Guys,

:luck: Deac. Let us know when it's official.

Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki
warrenb733
rvasan

bars/restaurants:
Black Bear Tavern -- Burke St. :thumbup: :thumbup: nice pool tables, laid back atmosphere
Burke Street Pub -- Burke st.
Gatsby's Pub -- Burke st.
Fusion -- Burke st. (so-so place, not the best) :thumbdown:
West End Tap Room
West End Cafe
4th St. Filling Station
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)

"Dance Club"
There's a quasi-dance club in Winston above Kabob's Indian Restaurant downtown on Friday nights with live DJ's and no cover charge. Went there and had a lot of fun. The crowd is relatively small if you're used to nightlife in bigger cities, but it's still possible to meet a lot of people and have a good time dancing till dawn (or 2pm, whichever comes first ;) ).

Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki
warrenb733
rvasan
DeaconMD04

bars/restaurants:
Black Bear Tavern -- Burke St. :thumbup: :thumbup: nice pool tables, laid back atmosphere
West End Tap Room
West End Cafe
4th St. Filling Station
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)

It's official, Sherry called today and I'M IN!!!! I couldn't be happier about being back in Winston. I guess I should officially introduce myself. Name is Philip, from Raleigh, NC, went to Wake undergrad. I had a chance to read the entire thread (since I obviously couldn't sleep last night in anticipation of their call) and am really looking forward to meeting everyone. I am out in Jackson Hole, Wyoming right now. I've been here since the end of February. It is amazing out here, and I am definetly not ready to leave, but I guess this is a fairly good reason. I'm packing up and heading home soon. Congrats to all, good luck to the waitlisters, and I'll see yall soon.

-Philip

Oh, and could someone please forward me the survival guide?

[email protected].

Thanks so much.

Congrats & Welcome!

DeaconMD04 said:
Kuma
DrThom
erock
i61164
jllander
Medikit
nockamura
Kumanati
SAL0320
Carolinek83
DoctorMalki
warrenb733
rvasan
DeaconMD04

bars/restaurants:
West End Tap Room
West End Cafe
4th St. Filling Station
Speakeasy Jazz (4th st)

It's official, Sherry called today and I'M IN!!!! I couldn't be happier about being back in Winston. I guess I should officially introduce myself. Name is Philip, from Raleigh, NC, went to Wake undergrad. I had a chance to read the entire thread (since I obviously couldn't sleep last night in anticipation of their call) and am really looking forward to meeting everyone. I am out in Jackson Hole, Wyoming right now. I've been here since the end of February. It is amazing out here, and I am definetly not ready to leave, but I guess this is a fairly good reason. I'm packing up and heading home soon. Congrats to all, good luck to the waitlisters, and I'll see yall soon.

-Philip

[email protected].

Thanks so much.

DeaconMD04 said:
\

-Philip

[email protected].

Thanks so much.

I will forward you the survival guide right now. CONGRATS!