Wake Forest Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where is everybody?!?!?! This thread dies like every three posts!! I was hoping I'd see more people say "Hello!" since the waitlists have started moving. Hmmm...we sure are a quiet bunch! :rolleyes: Hehe! Is everyone looking forward to orientation! :p Alright, I am off to stand in line to see Star Wars. Haha! I'm such a nerd! Later!

Members don't see this ad.

jllander said:
Where is everybody?!?!?! This thread dies like every three posts!! I was hoping I'd see more people say "Hello!" since the waitlists have started moving. Hmmm...we sure are a quiet bunch! :rolleyes: Hehe! Is everyone looking forward to orientation! :p Alright, I am off to stand in line to see Star Wars. Haha! I'm such a nerd! Later!

I just bought a house in W-S. It's 1 mile from Baptist Hospital. The current owner is just finishing his path residency at Wake and he went to Wake for med school. He started a gas residency out West and switched to path because it's easier (his words). I'm really excited about it because it is big enough for my family and I will be able to walk to the hospital. Of course the payment is higher than what is covered by the financial aid budget, so my family and I will deplete our savings until eventually my wife is forced to bring in enough money to support us. I am hoping that she can accomplish this by working from home, but I guess we will see. We have a two year old daughter and neither one of us wants to put her in day care. In another year and a half she will be old enough for preschool. Buying a house was exciting and frightening at the same time. This is our first house after living in apartments for seven years. I like Ardmore a lot more now that I've gone through the house buying process. Back when I was looking at rentals I was getting really depressed because they were so ****ty and/or small. For you renters out there, I think you can get something nice if you are willing to live with two or three roommates. Admittedly, my standards would be a lot lower if I didn't have a wife and kid.

Good luck with your house hunting and good luck to the waitlisters. :luck:

PS: Don't worry about being a nerd. I will be reading Harry Potter in the 9 days before orientation. I'll probably finish it in 3-4.

How goes the roommate search for everybody??

Mine is going a little slow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in San Francisco right now.
Though I'm not sure I'm going to accept, I've got a really nice Financial aid package, so cost wise it would be the best place to go.
I'm still waiting on USC and Duke.
I have to decide btwn Minnesota-with in state Tuition, and living with my sisiter rent free.
Or Temple with a $12.5 scholarship.

I'm happy I've got so many choices.

kuma said:
I live in San Francisco right now.
Though I'm not sure I'm going to accept, I've got a really nice Financial aid package, so cost wise it would be the best place to go.
I'm still waiting on USC and Duke.
I have to decide btwn Minnesota-with in state Tuition, and living with my sisiter rent free.
Or Temple with a $12.5 scholarship.

I'm happy I've got so many choices.

Shouldn't you have made all those decisions by now?

If I get into Duke I'm going there.
I can't seem to get the Wake curriculum demo to work from the website, anybody know what is up?

Guys,

I just got off the waitlist at WVU. Having just entered into a contract to buy a house in Winston-Salem, I doubt that I will accept WVU's offer, but I would like to see their financial aid package. How much time do you think I have to make my decision? WVU doesn't seem to expect an answer for a couple of weeks, and I don't know if Wake is aware that I was accepted, but I haven't told them. How much time do you think Wake will allow? Should I call them, or wait until they figure it out on their own?

You could hear within a few days, via e-mail or phone, from Wake that they know you have another acceptance at WVU and ask what your decision is. I've had this happen to other friends (at other schools) within days after getting off the waitlist, all post May-15th.

hopeful32 said:
You could hear within a few days, via e-mail or phone, from Wake that they know you have another acceptance at WVU and ask what your decision is. I've had this happen to other friends (at other schools) within days after getting off the waitlist, all post May-15th.

I'm pretty sure Wake gives a little more slack than most schools, could be wrong though.

i61164 said:
I just bought a house in W-S. It's 1 mile from Baptist Hospital.

Hey Congrats on the house. We might be neighbors -- I'm about a 4 min. lazy walk from the hospital.

Just got the BOG scholarship at Wake (full tuition). :eek: :eek: :eek: See you guys in July. I will offically add myself to the Matriculation thread.

So is anyone going to the summer session before school starts?

I'm getting kind of stoked on WF. Its all the talk on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good to hear kuma! I'm not quite sure when the summer session thing starts. I think it's the two weeks before orientation so maybe July 11?

jllander said:
Good to hear kuma! I'm not quite sure when the summer session thing starts. I think it's the two weeks before orientation so maybe July 11?

What goes on during the summer session? I'm moving to W-S in June, so I might as well attend it.

It's sort of like basic problem-based learning. Reviewing basic sciences. Interact with faculty, staff and other students. Basically a jump start, I think. You should get a letter in the mail about it.

jllander said:
It's sort of like basic problem-based learning. Reviewing basic sciences. Interact with faculty, staff and other students. Basically a jump start, I think. You should get a letter in the mail about it.

I decided not to attend the summer program. I think it's really meant for those that haven't taken any classes in the last few years, or anyone that is really worried about their ability to handle med school. Besides, the upperclassmen have advised us to relax and have fun this summer. My only school related activity this summer will be going down to the Deacon store and buying t-shirts to send to my relatives.

hey guys - figure its about time to start finding a roommate... any guys still looking for a roommate?

i61164 said:
Just got the BOG scholarship at Wake (full tuition). :eek: :eek: :eek: See you guys in July. I will offically add myself to the Matriculation thread.

I got the BOG too - do you know exactly how much its for (it lists it as tuition + "fees" and says that fees are at the discretion of the school)? I'm wondering if i still need to take out any loans -

Kumanati said:
I got the BOG too - do you know exactly how much its for (it lists it as tuition + "fees" and says that fees are at the discretion of the school)? I'm wondering if i still need to take out any loans -

Hey Congrats!

Welcome to the class!

(and congrats to i61164 too!)

i61164 said:
My only school related activity this summer will be going down to the Deacon store and buying t-shirts to send to my relatives.

good news! the deacon store no longer has a monopoly on wake paraphernalia...now we can buy stuff at the mall and (gasp) wal-mart as well!!! :D

maybe i'll see you on the quad as i struggle through my senior year at wake!

Bump.

So I've started a countdown.

I move to W-S in 57 days.

jllander said:

You're moving on the 20th too??

We definately need to get some pre-orientation dinner and drinks thing together.

That way all of us will look cool come the start of orientation because we will all know each other and everyone else in the class won't. (I suppose we can get to know them as well)

DrThom said:
You're moving on the 20th too??

We definately need to get some pre-orientation dinner and drinks thing together.

That way all of us will look cool come the start of orientation because we will all know each other and everyone else in the class won't. (I suppose we can get to know them as well)

Agreed! I wish more people were on this forum so that we could plan stuff like that and include more of the class. Hmmm... Either way, we should plan something for like the Sunday before orientation. That way, everyone will be in town.

If I ever get off the darn waitlist, I will be happy to post in here and make plans with you all! :D

I have 7 days until moving to Winston. I'll scope out good bars and restaurants for the pre-orientation get together.

Kumanati said:

I expect to take out 10-15K/year in loans to cover living expenses. I haven't gotten an updated FA package from Wake yet, but I did contact the financial aid office to tell them that I got the scholarship (since the BOG contacted us directly, we found out before Wake).

I will be in W-S before the 20th, so I'll be happy to get together with you guys.

wetlightning - Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out WalMart for Deacon stuff.

pharmgirl said:
If I ever get off the darn waitlist, I will be happy to post in here and make plans with you all! :D

I just declined my spot... good luck to all of you!

Hello, future classmates!
I just got into Wake off the waitlist :) :D :D
I was just wondering where you guys/gals will be living in Winston Salem.
I am from California and don't know much about WS so I need your help finding a nice place to live. (Doesn't have to be NICE nice... a decent apt would be okay...)

Is anyone looking for a female roommate?? I need a roommate!! I'm clean, quiet and will have a car but I don't think parking in WS would be a problem at all.

I am so excited. YAY! :thumbup:

Carolinek83 said:
I am from California and don't know much about WS so I need your help finding a nice place to live. (Doesn't have to be NICE nice... a decent apt would be okay...)

Is anyone looking for a female roommate?? I need a roommate!! I'm clean, quiet and will have a car but I don't think parking in WS would be a problem at all.

Congrats!

Welcome to the class!

Carolinek83 said:

Congrats and Welcome!

Carolinek83 said:

Hey! I am looking for a clean and quiet female roommate! I have been researching apartments in the area and found a couple. Are you interested? Shoot me an email if you are. [email protected]

Hey, does anyone know who a "Sherri" is? I got a call from someone named Sherri from Wake Forest. If she's from financial aid then that makes sense because I sent in my financial aid stuff late. If she's from admissions I just might freak out because I am on the waitlist.

Medikit said:
Hey, does anyone know who a "Sherri" is? I got a call from someone named Sherri from Wake Forest. If she's from financial aid then that makes sense because I sent in my financial aid stuff late. If she's from admissions I just might freak out because I am on the waitlist.

The only people who would call you from financial aid would be Brenda or Melissa. I've never gotten a call from a Sherri from financial aid.

Medikit said:

I checked the pre-enrollment guide they sent and the only Sherri on the administration directory is in admissions. Good luck and keep us posted.

erock said:
I checked the pre-enrollment guide they sent and the only Sherri on the administration directory is in admissions. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well there you go :)

Thanks by the way

DrThom said:
Keep us posted man! I'm excited for you!

I called this morning. I'm accepted :). Now I need to find a place to live. I know a doctor who just finished his residency and is moving out at the end of June so I might look into that.

i61164-did you use a realtor to buy your house?
I'm thinking about buying a house, if you or anyone else knows a realtor please pass that info on to me, by PM or here.
I'd like to buy a place and share it with another student or two.
If anyone is interested.

Medikit said:
I called this morning. I'm accepted :). Now I need to find a place to live. I know a doctor who just finished his residency and is moving out at the end of June so I might look into that.

WHOO HOO!!

I told you you'd get in.

Medikit said:
I called this morning. I'm accepted :).

AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! I am so excited for you! I know you have wanted this for so long. Congrats and I'll see you there! You coming to that Sunday night dinner? ;)

Medikit said:

OH MY GOSH, I am so excited and so happy for you!!!! It's about time they realized how fabulous you are. I'm at work with a huge grin on my face right now!!!! :D Congratulations!!!!

So your choosing WF over Oregon?
That's great.

So it looks like the number of those enrolled for the fall keep increasing :) Does anyone know how many of us there are on this forum yet?

Also have you guys all recieved financial aid info yet? Supposively mine is in the mail . . .

Excited to meet you all!

Medikit said:
Did you? I can't even remember now. When are you going to be in Winston-Salem?

Right now, I am aiming for july 20th. I am heading over on june 8-11 to look for housing with a couple people I might room with. If anyones gonna be in town and want to bum around with us, let me know!

*Edit - This is my 1000th post!*

DrThom said:
*Edit - This is my 1000th post!*

Conerdulations!

jllander said:
AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! I am so excited for you! I know you have wanted this for so long. Congrats and I'll see you there! You coming to that Sunday night dinner? ;)

When is the Sunday night dinner? I don't know about anything at all. I have wanted this for a long time, it feels really good.

Ambs said:
OH MY GOSH, I am so excited and so happy for you!!!! It's about time they realized how fabulous you are. I'm at work with a huge grin on my face right now!!!! :D Congratulations!!!!

Ambs! I'm excited for me too! I know the grin you're talking about, I've been wearing it most of the day. Thanks for wandering over to the Wake thread to congratulate me. I'm looking at OHSU in my beaten up MSAR, looks like our class sizes are about the same. When in August do you start? We're beginning orientation on the 26th of July and classes begin on the 2nd.

kuma said:
i61164-did you use a realtor to buy your house?
I'm thinking about buying a house, if you or anyone else knows a realtor please pass that info on to me, by PM or here.
I'd like to buy a place and share it with another student or two.
If anyone is interested.

I used Coldwell Banker Triad Realtors (336) 725-0506. They have several agents that know the area around the hospital very well.

Oh, a couple of us had just talked about getting together on July 24 at a bar or restaurant for drinks and dinner before we all began. Nothing has been set in stone; we were just throwing the idea around. I thought we began orientation on July 25 and classes on August 1...