Wake Forest 2012 anyone?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PS- Saturday morning I mailed my 3 acceptance withdraws, picked a lender, mailed my financial aid letter back, and completed my MPN online. I am officially 100% WF committed! :)

See you in July!

Members don't see this ad.

Everything was submitted on time but they said it's still being reviewed...Hope I get it soon.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything about the laptop for class of 2012? Any chance it's a Macbook Pro?? Haha it's what I'm getting if i don't end up at WFU, but i know they usually get thinkpads? Those are great computers anyway, so i won't complain...anyone know the specs or anything?

Everything was submitted on time but they said it's still being reviewed...Hope I get it soon.

Anyway, has anyone heard anything about the laptop for class of 2012? Any chance it's a Macbook Pro?? Haha it's what I'm getting if i don't end up at WFU, but i know they usually get thinkpads? Those are great computers anyway, so i won't complain...anyone know the specs or anything?

It should remain a thinkpad. In the past it's been a T series.

Members don't see this ad :)
go to the web site it tells you what you get..... even soft ware

Link? I can only find the one for class of 2010...
Link? That's one more page than I found... I did notice their FAQ page has tuition numbers from 2004-2005....

Cancel that, I found it (2010). And I must say, SWEET. It could do with a larger screen, but I'm really surprised to see a Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, 120GB HDD, and a discrete graphics chip(!) in last year's model. Whether you like Apple or not, this hardware outstrips most of the current Apple laptops. If I were picking a computer for myself I would have bought something very similar to this (maybe a little less to save money). The only thing I don't like about Thinkpad's is that they remind me of some of IBM's original laptops. They're smaller, lighter, etc., but there's just something about their blocky shape and track stick that brings back computer shop memories.... I understand they are very rugged though, which is probably one of the strongest characteristics a school looks for >).

Darn! I'm one year too late for the camping trip.

2010: (http://www1.wfubmc.edu/MDProgram/Admissions/Incoming+Medical+Students.htm)

Also, for those like me desperately wanting more information about the schedule and other minutia of medial school check out the pre-enrollment guide from last year (http://www1.wfubmc.edu/NR/rdonlyres/E573F9AE-73E3-431C-ACFE-11F7BABB9E1C/0/PREENROL.DOC). The last page shows orientation starting 7/30/07.

Another question for current students- is Hep B vaccine required for admission, or just a negative PPD skin test? I can still get free skin tests as a hospital volunteer, so I'll do it now if that's all I need (for Hep B, that is). I also think it's weird that they require a chickenpox blood test...I'm not sure I've ever had/needed one.

One more thing- do you remember whether there was a transcript request form? The pre-enroll guide reiterates that they're needed, but doesn't mention what address and/or form to have them sent to/with.

One more thing- do you remember whether there was a transcript request form? The pre-enroll guide reiterates that they're needed, but doesn't mention what address and/or form to have them sent to/with.

They get sent to the admissions office. I didn't use any transcript request form or anything...just requested that each of the schools that I atteded send an official transcript to Wake.

On another note, how is Wake Forest's Student Health inurance policy?

Kind of on the expensive side if you have a family...$196 for the student, $546 for the spouse, and another $263 for each child.

The irony of it is wonderful...in the richest nation on the planet, a medical student can't even afford to insure his/her own family while in school.

Hehe. I worked for CIGNA for a little bit. The benefits they offered their employees weren't so great either- high premiums/deductibles/coinsurance. The best benefits I've had were offered by Unum, and they aren't even a health insurance company! (they do life and disability)

Another question for current students- is Hep B vaccine required for admission, or just a negative PPD skin test? I can still get free skin tests as a hospital volunteer, so I'll do it now if that's all I need (for Hep B, that is). I also think it's weird that they require a chickenpox blood test...I'm not sure I've ever had/needed one.

A PPD is checking for TB, and you'll need one annually. They're provided free and are done during orientation.

You will need to get your Hepatitis B vaccine, which is a 3 injection series (initial, 1-2 months, 4-6 months.)

Varicella (chickenpox) is lethal in immunocompromised patients - some of whom you'll be interviewing your 1st year! So it's also very important.

A PPD is checking for TB, and you'll need one annually. They're provided free and are done during orientation.

You will need to get your Hepatitis B vaccine, which is a 3 injection series (initial, 1-2 months, 4-6 months.)

Varicella (chickenpox) is lethal in immunocompromised patients - some of whom you'll be interviewing your 1st year! So it's also very important.
I thought once you get your Heb B vaccine you always test positive on the skin test...? Obviously it's too late to get it where I'm from (although I could start it, I suppose), is this something else you can get once school starts?

I thought once you get your Heb B vaccine you always test positive on the skin test...? Obviously it's too late to get it where I'm from (although I could start it, I suppose), is this something else you can get once school starts?

The skin test is for TB, if I am not mistaken, I think you have to give blood for Hep B testing. And once you have tested positive on the PPD (Skin TB) test, you will always test positive on it. This doesn't mean that you have active TB, more likely that you have LTBI (exposed to TB, but not active). Also, people in other countries who get the vaccine for TB, BCG, may also test positive for it.

If + PPD than you get an Xray and take some pills for 9 months. I only know this from personal experience. 3rd world country living will get you every time.

The skin test is for TB, if I am not mistaken, I think you have to give blood for Hep B testing. And once you have tested positive on the PPD (Skin TB) test, you will always test positive on it. This doesn't mean that you have active TB, more likely that you have LTBI (exposed to TB, but not active). Also, people in other countries who get the vaccine for TB, BCG, may also test positive for it.

If + PPD than you get an Xray and take some pills for 9 months. I only know this from personal experience. 3rd world country living will get you every time.
Oh wow, duh! I was confusing the TB vaccine with the Hep B vaccine!

Members don't see this ad :)
On another note, how is Wake Forest's Student Health inurance policy?

Unfortunately, I think that the WF Health Insurance policy was even worse (by worse I mean more expensive - it's probably good coverage) when the c/o 2010 entered, but (I think) they have tried made some changes to make it better (less expensive). So, really - I don't know too much about the whole school insurance thing because I decided to get other insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) which made it much more reasonable, but then again - I have no kids (yet) and my wife works and gets her insurance through her job. Bottom line: You may want to look into getting some quotes from some other companies to see if they are more reasonable.

Unfortunately, I think that the WF Health Insurance policy was even worse (by worse I mean more expensive - it's probably good coverage) when the c/o 2010 entered, but (I think) they have tried made some changes to make it better (less expensive). So, really - I don't know too much about the whole school insurance thing because I decided to get other insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield) which made it much more reasonable, but then again - I have no kids (yet) and my wife works and gets her insurance through her job. Bottom line: You may want to look into getting some quotes from some other companies to see if they are more reasonable.

I agree - shop around!

If you go to you doc 1 or 2 times a year, it may be better to simply get catastrophic coverage (since most entering students are early to mid-20's.)

On the flip side - compare Wake's program vs. other carriers in the area if you have any chronic conditions that require you to 1.)visit the doc frequently 2.) take medication on a daily basis 3.) have frequent or repetitive lab work performed...

Group, partially-employer funded plans (e.g. through your wife) will always be better than what you can get on your own or though a school...but with that said, do you know of any other (specific) alternatives students are using? I'm fine with catastrophic only, but will Wake even accept this? I've heard some schools require a "similar level of coverage" if you're not going to use their plan.

Group, partially-employer funded plans (e.g. through your wife) will always be better than what you can get on your own or though a school...but with that said, do you know of any other (specific) alternatives students are using? I'm fine with catastrophic only, but will Wake even accept this? I've heard some schools require a "similar level of coverage" if you're not going to use their plan.

I think the Wake Forest plan isn't so expensive if it is just you being covered by it, $196 a month. And it seems to cover most of everything you would need.

Insurance isn't such a big problem if you are in your 20's, healthy, single, etc. It is quite reasonable no matter what company you look at if you fit that profile.

The reality of it is though, outside of medical school and colleges, the demographics of America change quite a bit, and most people don't fall into that small category. Thus...a healthy family of four, self-employed, can expect to pay somewhere between 10000 to 15000 a year for a decent insurance plan a year, not including how much you would pay for RX, co-pays and deductibles. Whether you are self-employed or not really doesn't matter, because the cost of your health insurance paid by your company will ultimately be passed on to the consumer...which is you anyways. So in the end, things are kind of out of control, but I guess that is a topic of another thread and likely future discussions in school.

The bottom line for me is that it is pretty outrageous to be paying more for health insurance for my healthy young family, than I will be paying in rent and utilities each month while I am in school. I digress...

Whether you are self-employed or not really doesn't matter, because the cost of your health insurance paid by your company will ultimately be passed on to the consumer...which is you anyways. So in the end, things are kind of out of control, but I guess that is a topic of another thread and likely future discussions in school.

The bottom line for me is that it is pretty outrageous to be paying more for health insurance for my healthy young family, than I will be paying in rent and utilities each month while I am in school. I digress...
I disagree, it makes a huge difference. The part of health insurance the employer pays is only passed on to the extent that you might have otherwise made a higher salary, but since you're already at a certain salary level with a certain level of insurance, those costs are already factored in. On top of this, the costs are somewhat offset by tax incentives and other intangible benefits (great insurance=happy employees=good productivity; also, great insurance may attract higher quality people/more talent). So while a company may pass some costs on via slightly lower salaries, it also has incentive to cut costs in other areas of operations and not pass too much of the cost directly to its employees. Under group insurance I've not personally been offered a plan that was over $300/month for a family (defined as 2+ members). Individual rates were as low as $50. I've worked for approximately 5 major companies.

Self-employment or small-business is a completely different situation, and it's the one we're now finding ourselves in. I agree that reform is needed (as does the government) to give people like us better options. Still, being a student is a bit of a special case. For small businesses there are other options, and with self-employment if total benefits are not greater than total costs then career options need to be reevaluated.

I'm heading out to NC next week 21-24ish to find housing, yay for housing.
What is this early program people are talking about? I think I missed that somewhere.

As for the aid pkg. Is CFNC easy to make payments on - online and such? I know that the major banks will do this, but I have Wells Fargo for checking now and I hate it so I'll probably switch banks when I get to NC and I'm not to high on chase and citi right now with what has been going on with the financial markets.

I'm heading out to NC next week 21-24ish to find housing, yay for housing.
What is this early program people are talking about? I think I missed that somewhere.

As for the aid pkg. Is CFNC easy to make payments on - online and such? I know that the major banks will do this, but I have Wells Fargo for checking now and I hate it so I'll probably switch banks when I get to NC and I'm not to high on chase and citi right now with what has been going on with the financial markets.

An email was sent out a couple weeks ago regarding a "pre-matriculation" course to be held from July 7th to July 18th. You can PM me and I will email it to you if you like.

CFNC seems as easy to use as the next lender, everything seems to be online judging from the website. They also seem to have the best fee schedule as well...

...I have Wells Fargo for checking now...

They don't have actual Wells Fargo Banks here in WS anyway (I had them before I came as well, all they have here is Wells Fargo Financial - not the actual bank) - so you might want to switch to a different bank before moving out here (if possible - just a suggestion to streamline things). If you're coming out to visit/search for housing - you can look around and find a bank that would be convenient to that location and stick with it. I believe that there are only two banks that actually have ATM machines within the hospital - Wachovia and BB&T - which I don't have, but I've thought of opening an account at one of those banks for that reason alone.

So as an entering MS1 to Wake, some things to have done / start doing now:

1) sign and return fin. aid offer
- complete MPN thing online once email from fin/ aid office received

2) housing
- make sure to be living in winston by orientation (which looks like end of July, therefore get a lease for July 1 , or maybe july 15th if possible)

3) official transcripts to Wake admissions office

4) immunizations / vaccines

and thats about it right??
all of this logistical stuff makes me nervous...

am i missing anything?

any word on when we ought to receive the updated pre-enrollment guide?

I was just wondering that as well (about the pre-enrollment guide)...do you all think we can use the one on the website for our immunizations and our blood work?? i just went looking through my papers to see if i missed something....hmmmm maybe i will call...

it is official i am going to wake forest.... i have withdrawn from every school...well i will finally withdraw from einstein today...i think i am scared of committment:)this is soooo exciting!!!:)

hiya

so i just called... i just forgot how incredibly helpful they all are!!!

1. the pre enrollment guide will be sent out in a week or so...they are normally out by this time but they are waiting for someone to update their information...she says don't worry we aren't late or missing anything...and they will give us ample time...if we don't receive it by mid may then we should call them....

2. the pre matriculation program is up in the air at this time...they haven't fully decided if they are going to do that...and they didn't know that before they sent the email...they will notify the entire class of any updates as soon as they have any...if there is going to be a pre matric class then it will start monday july 7th and it will be every day monday thru friday 9-3pm...the orientation will start regardless on the last monday in july.... i

have a good day...:luck::luck:

weird, i was accepted back in oct. but i havent gotten a fin. aid package or anything yet? should i worry? i have gotten the pre-matr. email though....

weird, i was accepted back in oct. but i havent gotten a fin. aid package or anything yet? should i worry? i have gotten the pre-matr. email though....
Definitely call right away! Did you fill out your FAFSA and needaccess info? If you did you should have gotten something. If you didn't...you still probably should have gotten something but I don't know, maybe they don't process financial aid info until the FAFSA is done...?

I was just wondering that as well (about the pre-enrollment guide)...do you all think we can use the one on the website for our immunizations and our blood work?? i just went looking through my papers to see if i missed something....hmmmm maybe i will call...

it is official i am going to wake forest.... i have withdrawn from every school...well i will finally withdraw from einstein today...i think i am scared of committment:)this is soooo exciting!!!:)

In the meantime, if you like Mark Twain, you may want to read "Any Mummery Will Cure" by K. Patrick Ober.

yup u should call...did u fill out the need access form??? because that was holding mine up until i went to visit and she told me about it....they are very helpful...good luck!!

In the meantime, if you like Mark Twain, you may want to read "Any Mummery Will Cure" by K. Patrick Ober.

i will give it a try.... i do like mark twain...and i am trying to get in as much reading as i can before med school...this was the best thing about being done with school... i could read anything i wantef... i go through a book in two days....in school i always felt guilty if i was reading anything besides my bio or nursing books...so i wouldn't....

i am currently reading barack's book...dreams of my father...i will then read his other book audacity of hope...and then i will read your suggestion...so i will probably get to it next week!:)

i will give it a try.... i do like mark twain...and i am trying to get in as much reading as i can before med school...this was the best thing about being done with school... i could read anything i wantef... i go through a book in two days...
Interesting. I've found this time incredibly useful for sleeping in, playing video games, eating, and....well I guess that's about it >).

Try The House of God - Samuel Shem. From my understanding it is the unofficial guide to your future residency and a coveted book among medical students.

it is actually quite funny... i got it as a present last year when i told ppl i was applying to med school...

Interesting. I've found this time incredibly useful for sleeping in, playing video games, eating, and....well I guess that's about it >).

i haven't mastered this multiple quote skill...

hahaha i think u have had a pretty eventful time off as well...:)... i did buy a nintendo wii in my free time ... this is sad... i think my wii will start to build up dust in med school...ooh the sacrifices we will have to make...

i really can't wait to start school:)

Just click the multi-quote button for the posts you want to quote, then click on "post reply" down at the bottom left. They should appear in your new message. You can also manually copy and paste the text between (quote=name) and (/quote); only use square brackets where I've used parenthesis.

I got my Wii pretty close to launch and it's been collecting dust ever since....until last week when I got Pro Evolution Soccer and Mario Kart (UK version- it's not out in the US yet). These games are amazing! Pro Evo controls differently from every other soccer game on the market, and Mario Kart executes online Kart racing flawlessly. The whole friend code system is just downright silly, but Mario Kart makes it a little better. I'm really glad Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid 4 are both coming out before school starts...otherwise I might have had to choose >).

Hey guys,

Congrats on getting into Wake everyone! If you're on the waitlist, hang in there!

I just started 3rd year and I'm looking for a roommate. I live in a condo about 8 minutes from school. $400/mo. PM me if you are interested and have questions, want pictures, and such.

okay, everyone seems on top of it but i am completely lost. i just called about the fin. aid package, and they said they just sent mine. is there a deadline to respond/accept the finan. aid package? when is the time you can only hold wake forest as your only acceptance (is wake forest's policy the same as aamc's may 15th rule, because ive heard some schools have different policies). when is all this insurance/tb/hep b info due? crazy! im so busy with school trying to graduate that i have no clue whats going on :confused:

okay, everyone seems on top of it but i am completely lost. i just called about the fin. aid package, and they said they just sent mine. is there a deadline to respond/accept the finan. aid package? when is the time you can only hold wake forest as your only acceptance (is wake forest's policy the same as aamc's may 15th rule, because ive heard some schools have different policies). when is all this insurance/tb/hep b info due? crazy! im so busy with school trying to graduate that i have no clue whats going on :confused:

hey, i'd just relax if i were you and focus on graduation...

As previously posted, the pre-enrollment guide has been delayed this year, and we can expect it sometime shortly. In that guide should be all of your information on insurance/vaccines, etc.. so I wouldn't worry about it until you get that, especially if you have other things to take care of.

There are a few things you should do though - when you get your fin aid, you will have 15 days to review/return it. and by may 15th, if you have multiple acceptances, you have to withdraw from all but one.

I got my Wii pretty close to launch and it's been collecting dust ever since....until last week when I got Pro Evolution Soccer and Mario Kart (UK version- it's not out in the US yet). These games are amazing! Pro Evo controls differently from every other soccer game on the market, and Mario Kart executes online Kart racing flawlessly. The whole friend code system is just downright silly, but Mario Kart makes it a little better. I'm really glad Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear Solid 4 are both coming out before school starts...otherwise I might have had to choose >).

hahahahaha...so i went to target because i started seeing the ads for mario kart and i wanted to go and find it...but instead i bought guitar hero...i didn't know they made one for the wii...and that is what i have spent all weekend playing!!!...i am soo excited for school to start...but in the mean time i don't mind relaxing...i do need to find an apt though...

hahahahaha...so i went to target because i started seeing the ads for mario kart and i wanted to go and find it...but instead i bought guitar hero...i didn't know they made one for the wii...and that is what i have spent all weekend playing!!!...i am soo excited for school to start...but in the mean time i don't mind relaxing...i do need to find an apt though...

I went house hunting last weekend in Winston-Salem and stayed with friends. Played the wii for the first time while there, it is awesome...I may have to buy it even though I don't have any time to play it.

Has anyone received the welcome packet/pre-enrollment guide for this year yet?

I went house hunting last weekend in Winston-Salem and stayed with friends. Played the wii for the first time while there, it is awesome...I may have to buy it even though I don't have any time to play it.

Has anyone received the welcome packet/pre-enrollment guide for this year yet?

I haven't received anything yet, but it looks as though they have updated all that pre-enrollment stuff on the website: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/MDProgram/Admissions/incoming+medical+students however it looks as though the majority of the stuff hasn't changed much (if at all) from the documents that were posted for last year's class.

I'm sure that this stuff is the majority of what they will be mailing out soon. Hope that helps.

I haven't received anything yet, but it looks as though they have updated all that pre-enrollment stuff on the website: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/MDProgram/Admissions/incoming+medical+students however it looks as though the majority of the stuff hasn't changed much (if at all) from the documents that were posted for last year's class.

I'm sure that this stuff is the majority of what they will be mailing out soon. Hope that helps.

w00t. Thanks, NC Doc! I need to get all of this health stuff done before I graduate and my free health care disappears.

Welp, I found a place to live yay. And I'll probably be doing the pre-matric program if they do it this year. Driving around Winston was horrible. The roads were really confusing and there were trees everywhere so I couldn't really see where I was going because I had walls of trees. AAh

Welp, I found a place to live yay. And I'll probably be doing the pre-matric program if they do it this year. Driving around Winston was horrible. The roads were really confusing and there were trees everywhere so I couldn't really see where I was going because I had walls of trees. AAh

I agree that it is confusing, you can be traveling north west on 421, yet the signs say it is south 421...awesome. However, once you figure out the town, it is pretty easy to get around because their are so many highways and the interstate that goes through town as well.

can anyone think of a way (since there is no 2nd look, which would have already occurred anyways) for an incoming first year like myself to find a roommate that is also an incoming first year? I was thinking facebook group, but no one would know to join it. I can't exactly post an ad on the housing site because I don't have a place to live yet, want a roommate first..

hrmmmm...

YAHOO!!!! I just got off the wait list I am going to WF!!!!!!!!! OMG I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!! I AM GOING TO WF!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy. :love::D

YAHOO!!!! I just got off the wait list I am going to WF!!!!!!!!! OMG I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!! I AM GOING TO WF!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy. :love::D

Congrats! Welcome to the class!