Wake Forest 2012 anyone?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omg!! I GOT ACCEPTED OFF THE WAITLIST THIS MORNING!! I SCREAMED when i got the email!!! ahhhhhh I am SOOOO EXCITED !!!

now, time to read your postings on housing.. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. have you filled out fin aid stuff yet? If not I would get on that before housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again, could anyone recommend some apartment complexes for me to check out? I've looked through the listings on the WFUSM website, but it's hard to figure out what is a good place since I don't know the area at all! I want to visit and walk around to find a good apartment, but I'm from SoCal and my classes don't end until mid-June, so I don't really have that option. I would really like to find a place within walking distance.. and maybe a roommate or two or three?? If anyone could tell me about which streets have nice places, or which streets to avoid (someone mentioned 1st street), that would be so helpful! :)

Someone PMed me about Legacy Park Apts.. are these close to campus??

Thanks to everyone for their help and support ;)

Hi again, could anyone recommend some apartment complexes for me to check out? I've looked through the listings on the WFUSM website, but it's hard to figure out what is a good place since I don't know the area at all! I want to visit and walk around to find a good apartment, but I'm from SoCal and my classes don't end until mid-June, so I don't really have that option. I would really like to find a place within walking distance.. and maybe a roommate or two or three?? If anyone could tell me about which streets have nice places, or which streets to avoid (someone mentioned 1st street), that would be so helpful! :)

Someone PMed me about Legacy Park Apts.. are these close to campus??

Thanks to everyone for their help and support ;)

Oooh from SoCal? Where from? It's nice to know that there are other Cali-peeps who will be in the class. I'm coming from Irvine - went to UCI and graduated last year and have been working here since. I'm originally from the Bay Area. There is no way I am driving to NC like others are - are you?

hiya...

Congrats to all of the new members of the class of 2012!!! :hardy::hardy::hardy:

I am glad the waitlist is moving along so quickly!

Do we have a face book group??? I think someone should make one... I just joined face book in hopes of getting to know the rest of class!!!!

Oooh from SoCal? Where from? It's nice to know that there are other Cali-peeps who will be in the class. I'm coming from Irvine - went to UCI and graduated last year and have been working here since. I'm originally from the Bay Area. There is no way I am driving to NC like others are - are you?

i'm coming from UCLA and originally from the LA area :).. I don't think my car will be able to make such a long-distance trip!!

i'm coming from UCLA and originally from the LA area :).. I don't think my car will be able to make such a long-distance trip!!
It would be such an exciting drive though >). Out of curiosity, how are you planning on getting your stuff from one place to the other?

It would be such an exciting drive though >). Out of curiosity, how are you planning on getting your stuff from one place to the other?

Right now I have no idea.. I guess I'd have to pack a lot of luggage and wear 50 layers of clothing on the airplane. I think I'll probably try to find a furnished apartment so I don't have to worry about furniture... hmm

Right now I have no idea.. I guess I'd have to pack a lot of luggage and wear 50 layers of clothing on the airplane. I think I'll probably try to find a furnished apartment so I don't have to worry about furniture... hmm

Not bringing my car, I'll buy one when I get there. The cost to drive/ship my car is more than it's worth so I think (hope) I'll be starting anew.

As for living, I'm actually going to be gone for a good month out of the country until 7/23. I should fly into NC the 25th hopefully and stay at a hotel for the first few days, up to a week. I'll probably try to get an apartment, which compared to the prices here, is a complete steal. I know some complexes I want to look at when I get there (Crowne, Savannah, etc).

Probably just furnish it and what not in the first couple weeks I am there. It'll be a tough transition, but hopefully it'll be ok.

As for bringing everything, looks like I am going to have to pay baggage fees...

Hey future classmates,

I have been lurking on this thread for a while, so I decided to finally join in on the fun! First of all, I am super excited to meet you guys and congrats to all the people who have gotten in so far and people on the waitlist, hang in there, you are almost there!!!! :)
Okay, So I live about an hour and a half from Winston-Salem but still do not know the area that well, so I went over there to check out some of the apartment complexes that they have. I went to Ardmore Terrace and Cedar Woods. Both of these apartment complexes have unfurnished 1-2 Br, 1 BA apartments which are nice... but the area is shady! I wouldnt feel safe walking around them..so that was kind of a deal breaker for me. (Cedar Woods actually has a $460/month 1Br apartments that have been recently renovated that are not that bad at all.. plus you get a student discount the lady was telling me). Ardmore Terrace is right around the same price range and the apartments are in a similar condition but they stopped doing a student special.

Okay, now for where I have decided to live next fall. I came across this listing by a gentleman named George Kappas in the WFU housing list and I gave him a call. He is a very nice Greek gentleman and I decided to go visit him as the last thing before I left Winston. He lives on Burke Mill Rd which is about 2.5 miles from the Medical school buildings. He has renovated his basement, added a seperate entrance and basically is renting out the 3 rooms that are in this portion of the house. All three rooms have beds, dressers, I dont remember if they all have desks but they all have nice closests and are in GREAT condition. There is also a laundry room in the basement so you dont ever have to go upstairs (where the elderly couple live) for anything. The basement has heating and AC and even a fireplace in one of the rooms. Here are the negatives.. The AC/Heat control is upstairs where the couple lives of if you needed radical changes in heat or AC you would have to ask the couple to change it for you...but it is not a problem for me. The second problem is that there is only 1 bathroom to share between the 3 rooms. It is a nice big bathroom and has tons of storage space etc and if you are a guy like me...it would work out if 3 people share it. The third problem is that there is no cooking range in the kitchen of the basement. There is a full fridge, microwave, toaster oven, coffeemaker, even a small grill type set-up but no stove top... that could be a concern if you are a big chef...which I am not lol...

Here is the best part of the deal. The guy is totally awesome, he is such a nice genuine guy and the street/area has tons of greenery and has a safe feel to it. There is also a park right across for those that like to run/jog/bike etc and his backyard is just gorgeous. He takes care of it well. The rent of the place is $400/month which is a STEAL. The whole basement is basically furnished...you might need a extra desk in one of the rooms if I remember correctly. EVERYTHING ELSE IS IN PLACE!!! THE 400$ covers ALL UTILITIES the only thing we have to get as roommates will be highspeed internet and cable which would be nice to share the cost of.

There are 2 rooms open and Mr. George Kappas wants me to help fill them...so if you guys out there want a place to stay PM me and I will give you his number and his address and stuff so you can check the place out yourself! Here are some pics I took, not professional but will give you an idea of what the place looks like.. :hardy: And dont get turned away by the problems I listed, unless one of them really strikes a nerve. Just visit Mr. Kappas when you are in W-S and the feel of the place will change your mind!

http://img263.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backyardjw0.jpg
http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backyard2uf1.jpghttp://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backyard3uy4.jpg
http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bathroomno2.jpg
http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bed1cr7.jpg http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bed1fireplacemi8.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bed3rl1.jpg http://img93.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bedroom1closetcg9.jpg
http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bedroom2rs7.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bedroom3aa1.jpg http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doorbasementtl5.jpg
http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=houseld3.jpg http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=housefrombacksj3.jpg
http://img527.imageshack.us/my.php?image=housefrontvh3.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kitchenyj2.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=laundryroomxd1.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2140/mrkappaslo1.jpg

Good luck finding housing and all the prep we have to do before we start!!! PM if you have any general questions about the area too... I am not the greatest at directions but I can tell you a little about what I saw...

Looking forward to spending 4 great years with you guys!

Thanks everyones for talking about housing it will be really helpful but on a similar note does anybody have suggestion where to grab a car (other than just checking autotrader.com). I'm gonna have to pick one up when I get in town. In particular is it worth it to get a car across state lines (GA, TN, SC, VA)/ Is there any dealerships in town that are know for being "shiesters?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everybody!

Congratulations to all of those who are accepted into the class of 2012! I know we're going to have a great class and I'm excited to get started!
I got accepted in October but didn't hear about this site until just the other day. I am originally from Buffalo, NY and a grad of Ohio State, where I currently live. Anybody else from Buffalo or Columbus?
My sister lives down in Charlotte, so I've made a couple of trips to WS in the past few months to check out apartments and stuff. I originally thought that I wanted to live in a complex, so I've got info on a bunch of the major apt complexes within about 7-8 miles from the hospital. I eventually decided to find a place within walking distance, so I signed a lease at a place in Ardmore on S. Hawthorne Rd. I found out about this place on the Wake Forest housing website. The family that I am renting from seems really nice. If anybody has questions about any of the apt complexes, I'm happy to help! Like I said, I checked out most of them and wrote down some pros and cons.

P.S. Join the facebook group! I just joined and there's only 4 of us right now!

Hey Everybody!

Congratulations to all of those who are accepted into the class of 2012! I know we're going to have a great class and I'm excited to get started!
I got accepted in October but didn't hear about this site until just the other day. I am originally from Buffalo, NY and a grad of Ohio State, where I currently live. Anybody else from Buffalo or Columbus?
My sister lives down in Charlotte, so I've made a couple of trips to WS in the past few months to check out apartments and stuff. I originally thought that I wanted to live in a complex, so I've got info on a bunch of the major apt complexes within about 7-8 miles from the hospital. I eventually decided to find a place within walking distance, so I signed a lease at a place in Ardmore on S. Hawthorne Rd. I found out about this place on the Wake Forest housing website. The family that I am renting from seems really nice. If anybody has questions about any of the apt complexes, I'm happy to help! Like I said, I checked out most of them and wrote down some pros and cons.

lol.. lookin forward to meeting you man. Although I am a HUGE Michigan fan...im sure we can have a friendly rivalry especially come November in Columbus :laugh:

So, does anyone have any idea how much the waitlist has moved? I'm still on it and really, really hoping that I get in. I know that because the waitlist is non-ranked, it is very difficult to gauge someone's chances.

Does anyone have any inside information?

Hey Everybody!

Hello Future Classmate!
I just graduated Friday and have started looking online for some housing for next year. As I was reading about some of the apartment complexes, I stumbled on your post. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on Crowne Club and Legacy Park. The only info I have is what they post online, so a student perspective would be great! Also, if you would have chosen to live in an apt complex, which one would you have picked?
I'm from Washington State and will be gone most of the summer, so I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to Winston-Salem before orientation. I am very excited for next year and am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thank you

Hi!

I just discovered this thread as well. I am excited to meet you all on July 28th! I was accepted in October and have been anxiously awaiting the start.

I actually live in W-S (am a nontrad). I live out on the western side of W-S (near Hwy 421 (Bus 40) and Lewisville-Clemmons), so I don't have much housing info to give, but do know the area. We've lived in W-S for 4 years now and we love it!

Have a great summer and a good move! I'll see you all at the end of July :)

Hello Future Classmate!
I just graduated Friday and have started looking online for some housing for next year. As I was reading about some of the apartment complexes, I stumbled on your post. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on Crowne Club and Legacy Park. The only info I have is what they post online, so a student perspective would be great! Also, if you would have chosen to live in an apt complex, which one would you have picked?
I'm from Washington State and will be gone most of the summer, so I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to Winston-Salem before orientation. I am very excited for next year and am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thank you

Hey YborMed,

I did take a look at Crowne Club when I was down in WS. It is located in my favorite area of all of the complexes that I looked at. It's on Country Club Road, which is only about an 8 min drive from the hospital and the area is really accessible by the highway (route 421). You just jump on the highway which is right around the corner, and can be anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes.
That being said, I think that if I remember correctly, Crowne Club was really nice with lots of new buildings and renovations, but if you are looking at a single, I think that the single apts are in the older buildings. They were still nice and clean, but if you are looking in that price range, I think that there are much better options right nearby.
My personal favorites on Country Club Road were Briarleigh Park and Brookford Place. They are around the price range of Crowne Club for a single ($600-$700 per month). Briarleigh Park was where I was planning to live before I found the place in Ardmore. The whole complex is set back from the road and really secluded. It has a "resort" feel to it. Brookford Place is a little pricier (closer to $700), but really really nice. The apartments are brand new and have tons of space and amenities. I would suggest checking both of these places out.
I didn't actually look at legacy park apartments because they seemed a little bit further away than I wanted to drive each day, so I don't really have much input on those.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

So, does anyone have any idea how much the waitlist has moved? I'm still on it and really, really hoping that I get in. I know that because the waitlist is non-ranked, it is very difficult to gauge someone's chances.

If it's anything like when I applied the chances are pretty good until June rolls around. Call them and let them know how interested you are.

Keep on calling if you are really interested in getting in and love the school. Send updates. There were people last year that got in about 3 days before classes started. Good luck to those that really have it in their hearts to go to Wake.

Hey all,

First off, congratulations to all of you for being accepted at Wake :)

I just graduated and will be leaving for residency on Saturday. For anyone who is in the area, I am selling some of my furniture:

Washer and Dryer:
- Washer: Frigidaire : Super capacity plus - commercial heavy duty. Precision roll Plus wash system. Sound silencer. Hand wash setting ¾ HP 2 speed motor - 15 cycles
- Dryer: GE: 6 clothes care cycles - 4 heat settings/fabric care settings. Extra large capacity.
Both purchased at same time from Best Buy for 900.00. Asking 350.00

- 6 piece bedroom set: includes: Wooden oak: matching upright 5 drawer dresser, 6 drawer horizontal dresser, 2 drawer night stand, mirror, headboard and footboard, and Sealy Leland Comfort care Queen size bed and box spring. Bought three years ago for over 1500...asking 600.

If you are interested, e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks and congrats again!

Hi All,

I Got a call on Wednesday From USC-Keck offering me a spot and I just accepted it this morning. With LA County hospital I just couldn't say no. Good Luck everyone and i hope we meet in residency.

sincerely,

braintrust

I just got in off the waitlist and am absolutely ecstatic!!!!! This was the school I wanted from the beginning of the application process and I cannot believe it. I was writing another letter of interest when I got the email! Cant wait to meet all you guys in July! Is there no camping trip this year?

I just got in off the waitlist and am absolutely ecstatic!!!!! This was the school I wanted from the beginning of the application process and I cannot believe it. I was writing another letter of interest when I got the email! Cant wait to meet all you guys in July! Is there no camping trip this year?

Congats, and welcome to the class! As far as I've heard, there is a camping trip (per pre-matriculation guide: http://www1.wfubmc.edu/MDProgram/Admissions/incoming+medical+students)

I just sold my most precious worldly possession. No biking around W-S as i think showing up in the ER when you all are doing rounds would be a little embarrassing...

is anybody else in the process of selling their distractions?

Nope...just buying them. Am actually looking to buy a bike once I get into town...it isn't a distraction for me, just a cheap form of transportation. Although the roads there really aren't made for biking...so I may be the one in the ER while you are all doing rounds. :)

I'm acquiring more too >). So far I have a road bike, mountain bike, and a motorcycle. I'm so tempted to buy a cheap scooter, but I have no idea how I'd get it to W-S.

I'm acquiring more too >). So far I have a road bike, mountain bike, and a motorcycle. I'm so tempted to buy a cheap scooter, but I have no idea how I'd get it to W-S.

a scooter would be the heat...although a motorcycle isn't too shabby either!

How far will you be living from school?

No idea, but I'm thinking about driving up tomorrow to look for housing. I'm starting a new job on Monday to try and eek out some more money before starting my 4 years of poverty. So, it's either now or never....or else pick somewhere by correspondence, which I'm not too fond of >). Of the apartments I've been looking at closely the cheapest application fee is $100....seems a bit steep! Also, back in the day they always used to include water but not other utilities. Now it seems you get nothing....

Of the apartments I've been looking at closely the cheapest application fee is $100....seems a bit steep! Also, back in the day they always used to include water but not other utilities. Now it seems you get nothing....

That is so lame. I imagine in a place with lots of student turnover, they assume they can get away with charging more and giving less. Good luck on your housing hunt. When do you plan on moving down there for good?

has everyone gotten the email from fin aid telling you to go online and sign your MPN (master promissory note... i think?) ??

i sent my fin aid stuff back a long time ago but haven't gotten the MPN email yet...

has everyone gotten the email from fin aid telling you to go online and sign your MPN (master promissory note... i think?) ??

i sent my fin aid stuff back a long time ago but haven't gotten the MPN email yet...

I haven't gotten any e-mails from fin aid regarding MPNs yet either. I did call last week and they said they would be sending them out this week. I am going to call again on Monday if I still don't have anything.

Got mine right after I posted that I hadn't received it yet!

That is so lame. I imagine in a place with lots of student turnover, they assume they can get away with charging more and giving less. Good luck on your housing hunt. When do you plan on moving down there for good?
Just got back from W-S 10 minutes ago! >). I'm 90% sure it will be July 1. Now I just have to sort through all the information I gathered and make a final decision! >)

As for the MPN email- I didn't get the email from WF with the link to go fill it out, however, I already filled it out by simply applying through the lender's website. It's been in the "waiting for institutional confirmation" status for a month or two, and just yesterday I got an email from them saying it's been approved.

Just got back from W-S 10 minutes ago! >). I'm 90% sure it will be July 1. Now I just have to sort through all the information I gathered and make a final decision! >)

Awesome. I will be there on the 3rd of July...setting up house, then going backpacking in the Smoky Mountains...can't wait.

I just sent my deposit in today with my application... Only one month to go! I'm really excited, but I have so much to do.

Hey everyone. I was just accepted on Friday. I now have another decision to make (not complaining). I was wondering if I will get my Fin Aid packet before the two week deadline is up? Should I call and tell them my situation? Thanks

I just got accepted off the waitlist and wanted to say hi to everyone!!! I've been following this thread but not too closely because I had kind of given up hope. But I am so excited that I will be joining you all in less than 2 months!

Congrats, welcome to the class of 2012! Cubsrule, I suggest giving the admission office a call. They are extremely friendly people and I'm sure they'll at least try to accommodate your situation.

Hey Class of 2012,

I know some people had been thinking of ditching their vehicle in the move and getting one once they get out here... so I decided to post this for a friend of mine. He is a Peds resident and will be moving around the first of July. Anyway, he would rather ditch the car and get a new one where he is headed as well. So here's what he gave me to put up here:

97 Mitsubishi Mirage LS Coupe - Red, 2-door, 114,000 mi.
It has been completely reliable and gets good gas mileage.
CD player factory installed, A/C doesn't work.
Asking $1,200.00 OBO

I'll give you his information if you are interested (phone, email, even pager if you want...). Just PM me. I don't have an actual pic of his car - I found the attached pic online (if it shows up) and I think it looks just like that. I'm sure he'll send you some real pics if you want them.

Attachments

• 97_mitsubishi_mirage_coupe.jpg
    97_mitsubishi_mirage_coupe.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 137
What are the best providers in the area?

I would say that it is a split between Verizon and AT&T/Cingular. I have AT&T/Cingular, and have never had any problems.

PS: Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! If you are on the waitlist, keep the faith. There is still a lot of movement left to go. I promise. Good luck!

What are the best providers in the area?

I have Verizon and it works fine as well. I do get a few dropped calls here and there, but coverage is complete and I have a good signal in almost every building I've been in around here.

I have Verizon and it works fine as well. I do get a few dropped calls here and there, but coverage is complete and I have a good signal in almost every building I've been in around here.

Do you know anyone that has T-mobile and is okay with its coverage?