Wake Forest 2012 anyone?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know anyone that has T-mobile and is okay with its coverage?

I know a classmate with Tmobile. Sometimes her reception is better than mine and I have Verizon. Reception within the medical school and hospital is pretty spotty for both of us but that is to be expected.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I just finished up my 1st year at Wake and LOVE it here! I don't have time to read alllllll the pages, but I read the last one and saw several people mention Legacy Park. I've lived in Legacy this last year and loved it.

It's about a 10 min drive max to the hospital, and its only a few minutes from a huge shopping area (hanes mall, target, everything!). It was built last summer, so you'll most likely be only the 2nd (or maybe even first) to live in your place. The apartments are huge...i have a 2 br/2 ba with a classmate and i think its like 1050 sqft. Great pool, 24hr gym, and its gated so it makes you feel special haha. One thing i really like is that the bedrooms are on opposite sides of the living room, so sound is minimal when someone is studying (the only apartment that i saw this setup). We pay $750, but i think that may have been a special opening move-in price.

There are 2 apartments i can think of that are within "walking distance" of the hospital, but they are pretty shady. I felt verrry safe in Legacy. I'm moving into a classmate's house within walking distance of school for next year, but otherwise i'd stay in Legacy. If you want walking distance, your best bet is renting a house....i've seen a lot of signs go down already though, so it may be slim pickings. But really, driving isn't bad....parking is $90/semester and is directly across the street from the building. Plus its safer for those late-night study sessions.

Also, i get a $50 gift card to target if i refer people to move into Legacy! You just have to give my name! I know...lame. But remember, i'm a poor medical student and you will be one soon too! But i didn't lie, it really is a great place....i wanted to have a nice place to come home to, even if i was coming home to study :)

Also, you can let me know if you have any questions about whatever...I'm doing a research project here, so I'll be around all summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some family in W-S and my understanding is with T-Mobile you are roaming on the ATT towers. When I was there it took a few hours to send/recieve a txt msg because you are always last in the queue; all ATT customers come first. I may be wrong but with T-mobile it got to be kind of a pain in the rear to txt at least.

I noticed that on T-mobile's website they show all of WS as roaming...was hoping to get on my family's Tmobile plan while in school, but I don't think that is going to work.

You do get a discount with Verizon (I think 17%) which is nice. Verizon has better coverage in the hospital than AT&T (in my opinion - I switched to Verizon from AT&T once my contract was up). Just something to think about.

Oh, and with regard to T-mobile, one of my good friends has T-mobile and since they actually don't have a presence in NC (or at leat in WS), I think they can use any cell tower in the area (maybe?), so he seems to be happy with their coverage. I guess you would have to have a plan that allows for free roaming - but I think that is pretty standard these days.

I'll take an informed medical student opinion over an anonymous internet one any day >). I couldn't find Legacy when I went to W-S...I found Bromley and Carlyle, but the street address for Legacy wasn't in my GPS. Oh well! >).

I would say that it is a split between Verizon and AT&T/Cingular. I have AT&T/Cingular, and have never had any problems.

PS: Congrats to everyone who has been accepted! If you are on the waitlist, keep the faith. There is still a lot of movement left to go. I promise. Good luck!

Where did you hear that there is still a lot of waitlist movement to go?

Also, is it good to constantly update them either by e-mailing them or calling the Admissions Office, or will they get annoyed by it?

I don't mean to be rude but it seems like Legacy is not such a good place to live anymore. There are a few comments about lots of vandalism and possible gang activity.

I think your link took us to Legacy in Charlotte NC , not in Winston-Salem NC. Totally different area. You might want to delete your post. Although there aren't many reviews for Legacy in Winston- probably because it's a new apartment complex - here's the correct link:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NC-Winston-Salem-Legacy-Park-Apartments.html

Last edited:
Ah, good catch, you're absolutely right. That link is for a completely different apartment.

Legacy is actually across the street from carlyle and bromley. If you're coming from school, you'll pass bromley park on your right, then cross over the highway, then make an immediate left onto Salem Crest lane. The apartment is right there on that corner. If you get to Carlyle place, then you just missed the street.

Those 3 apartments are all 'sister' apartments, all owned by the same company i guess. I didn't like Carlyle Place b/c it doesn't have its own pool or gym, but you can use Legacy's. Bromley is 5-6 years old i think, cheaper (it was barely cheaper though after Legacy's move-in specials). I also didn't like the set up as much (rooms down the same hallway).

I can't believe anyone would say there is gang activity. I mean, winston isn't the safest place in the world, but i've seen no evidence of vandalism or gangs in my complex. My neighbors downstairs are a cute family, and across from them is a resident. half the people that live here are medical people that work at forsyth hospital (not saying medical professionals can't be in gangs, but its not likely). a lot of younger females my age live here from what i've seen at the gym and pool.

the one apartment that i think is reallllly shady is colonial village. It's on the way to school from Legacy park, and i've seen multiple cop cars there at a time on several different occasions. And there's always people hanging out there on the street at night, being sketchy. I have never seen cop cars in legacy park (other than the few "courtesy cops" that live here)

I know from personal experience when I applied. I got in June 25th or so, and I know of at least 6-8 people who got in after me. One student got in the second day of orientation. Wake loves for people to express interest, but it's up to you to walk the fine line between showing interest and annoying them. Hard to know where that line is. If you have something worth telling them about, then I would definitely email or send a letter. Otherwise, I wouldn't call just to call.

Where did you hear that there is still a lot of waitlist movement to go?

Also, is it good to constantly update them either by e-mailing them or calling the Admissions Office, or will they get annoyed by it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was just in Winston today, looking at apartments. I liked the Crowne Club the best out of all the places I went so that's where I'll be living (moving in on June 28th). So anyone else looking, def consider Crowne Club! It'd be awesome to have quite a few med students in the same apt complex so we can have impromptu study groups and what not! I'll try to post my thoughts about the different apartments I visited when I get some more free time on my hands.

Hey, Guys

I am new to SDN but I have been keeping up with the posts for wake forest. I am still in the waiting list...and cant seem to think about anything else but the waiting list. May was hell...and now June is even harder. I was wondering if some one can help me out with this...

Wake interviews 500 people.
Last year they accepted 276.
They have about 120 seats, and my letter said that they do not over fill their seats.

So that means, based on last years data, which is not necessarily going to happen again, but still... they should be 156 people on the wait list who get acceptances.

So my question is....how many people are on the waitlist? I remember the person at the admissions office saying it was 200... but that means that they rejected about 180 people right after the interview...but that seems a bit high for a school that only interviews about 7 percent of the applicants.

I have read on forums that wake does not reject any one after the interview, they either accept you or put you on the wait list, but the admissions office told me that they do reject people after the interview...but did not go in to details regarding how many...

I really want to go to wake, and the wait is killing me, I was wondering if anyone had an idea of just how many people get put on the wait list?

Am I hoping to be one of the 156 out of 200...or 300.. or 400?

Ok, how exactly does $40,000 in tuition NOT cover a $37 background check!? I just got a bill via email, and I must say, it stings a little >).

Ok, how exactly does $40,000 in tuition NOT cover a $37 background check!? I just got a bill via email, and I must say, it stings a little >).

I am just waiting for my bill...since I have lived in multiple states...countries...etc...I am expecting it to be nice and high. Oh yeah...and since I am not living in the states right now, the cheapest notary I could find was $25....awesome deal.

But hey, the $40,000 covers the computer, most of our books, Step 1, Step 2, and a PDA...not many schools can say that.

I always get things notarized at my bank- they do it for free. I just got the cheapest gas in town- took $47 to fill up my mid-sized 2 door coupe. And the tank wasn't even completely empty. What's worse, gas runs about 10c more in W-S than it does here. This is going to be a very expensive 4 years!

I don't have anything new to add, only that during my interview session they mentioned PDA's for 3rd year. From the explanation I got it sounded like they were more for interfacing with the hospital systems for labs, chart data, etc. than for traditional PDA functionality.

I don't have anything new to add, only that during my interview session they mentioned PDA's for 3rd year. From the explanation I got it sounded like they were more for interfacing with the hospital systems for labs, chart data, etc. than for traditional PDA functionality.

I think they are doing away with the PDAs for the clinical years. They are awful in my opinion, and I know I'm not alone. A few people use them for epocrates (look up drugs), but they make pocket guides for that. Not worth the extra 5 lbs in the white coat. The novelty of them was cool at first, but they are a waste of money. They never worked for tracking patient data. I'm not sure if the school is going to replace them with anything.

I always get things notarized at my bank- they do it for free.

They don't do it at banks where I am living...I miss the US.

If they got rid of PDAs, that is great cause I have never been a fan, you waste more time using them than they save you. They told us at our interview during the financial aid presentation that the school provides them for 3rd year.

So what's a good furniture store in WS that one can furnish an apartment with?

I'll definitely need a bed, nightstand, and probably living room furniture (sofa, coffee table) and dining set. Too bad there's no Ikea in NC...

So for those who go there now, any ideas?

I think one of the biggest furniture manufacturers in the US is located in Greensborough. One of my good friends had a big show there where her company was presenting some furniture. I'll ask her and post the info asap.

High Point's the place for furniture. It's at the southern end of the Piedmont Triad. Greensboro has a Bassett Furniture Direct, but no manufacturing shops. G-Boro used to be a mill town. I know High Point has a Thomasville and about a million furniture malls.

Just Google "high point furniture" and look at the map.

Am I the only semi-native going to WF this year? (feels embarrassed)

Oh, and get used to the gas. Gasoline in NC is 10-15 cents higher as compared to SC or GA, even though the gas tax actually is lower in NC! Never figured that out....

Ha! Another question...anyone know of anybody looking for housing still? I'm trying to get a house and could possibly take some roommates.

It would be a late July to end of May lease.

To my knowledge, the PDAs for third year are dead. This is in part due to the overwhelming sentiment of the other classes with PDAs that thought they weren't useful. I got one this year and I use it for more than epocrates (I don't use it for patient tracking, though) - and I think that it would still be beneficial. I think that the money that would have been used for the PDAs may be routed to some other technology fund or something - but don't count on getting a PDA or smartphone (due to contracts, etc) at the beginning of third year (sorry if you have based your decision to come to WF on the 3rd year PDA).
With regard to the little fees (compared to the $40K) here and there - they will keep coming, so get used to it. You think that the 90 bucks a semester for parking could be "included" in the $40K as well (my wife reminds me the computer was not "free", but rather "included" whenever I say that they gave it to us) - but then you'd still be getting charged, you just wouldn't notice it immediately. At the beginning of third year you also have to pay the $100 for pager service (for one year I think - so you'll pay again for fourth year). All those little fees are annoying, I agree, but I don't see them changing their policies on that stuff anytime soon (especially for outside services like pager service and background checks).

yeah, we're no longer getting PDAs, but the $ is going towards other technology (they mentioned a few things, but the only thing I remember was more wireless hotspots)

Also, I saw that someone listed "books" as being included in tuition, but that's not true. We don't get any actual books, but there are a lot of textbooks available online. For 1st year, i can think of 2 books (path and immuno) that are online, but some of the others you'll need to get (netter's and neuro definitely, and a couple others if you think they'll help). A lot of us bought from the classes above us because they'll send out emails...a great way to save money and help them out too.

You atleast have one thing going for you money wise....I've seen the bags you guys are getting with your computers, and they're pretty sweet! I'm jealous. Apparently there was a lot of feedback from my class saying we hated our dorky computer bags haha.

Good to know- I've been contemplating what kind of overpriced laptop bag to buy, so it's one less thing I have to think about >). I found a rebate deal on a wireless optical notebook mouse at $10. I think CC has one for $14 this week. I can't stand tackpads!

I'm pretty sure most IBM thinkpads don't have trackpads. They usually have a track point which is a little red dot in the middle of the keyboard that you apply pressure to left, right, up, down... You probably still wanna get a mouse though.

NM, I guess they have both these days.

I'm pretty sure most IBM thinkpads don't have trackpads. They usually have a track point which is a little red dot in the middle of the keyboard that you apply pressure to left, right, up, down... You probably still wanna get a mouse though.

NM, I guess they have both these days.

I know the specs for the thinkpads for our class haven't been updated on the medical school webpage, but do you think they are the same as what all the undergrads on main campus are getting? I know NCdoc posted a while ago that we are getting the T61s...

http://www.wakeforest.edu/technology/thinkpad/student/2012.html

High Point's the place for furniture. It's at the southern end of the Piedmont Triad. Greensboro has a Bassett Furniture Direct, but no manufacturing shops. G-Boro used to be a mill town. I know High Point has a Thomasville and about a million furniture malls.

Just Google "high point furniture" and look at the map.

Am I the only semi-native going to WF this year? (feels embarrassed)

Oh, and get used to the gas. Gasoline in NC is 10-15 cents higher as compared to SC or GA, even though the gas tax actually is lower in NC! Never figured that out....

Ahhhh the benefit of coming from CA and feeling like no matter how much gas (substitute "gas" with "rent" "food" "clothes" "everything") is anywhere else - it'll ALWAYS be cheaper.

Currently I pay...
Gas - $4.50/gallon (as of last night, regular)
Rent - $800/month (room in apartment)
Food - $5.49 Big Mac Meal at Mickey D's (this is the only comparable thing I can think everyone can relate to. I hate McDonalds, however).

looking forward to cheaper living in NC!

Ahhhh the benefit of coming from CA and feeling like no matter how much gas (substitute "gas" with "rent" "food" "clothes" "everything") is anywhere else - it'll ALWAYS be cheaper.

Currently I pay...
Gas - $4.50/gallon (as of last night, regular)
Rent - $800/month (room in apartment)
Food - $5.49 Big Mac Meal at Mickey D's (this is the only comparable thing I can think everyone can relate to. I hate McDonalds, however).

looking forward to cheaper living in NC!

+2

Canada...

Gas (in US dollars) almost $5.50 a gallon
Gallon of Milk - $6
Four sticks of butter $5

Fast food though has stayed pretty cheap...

Hey guys, I'm trying to complete all the forms they want us to complete and I need help figuring out where they go. I know the Data Sheet goes to the Office of Admissions. Is that where the Student Demographic Form should be sent as well? On the bottom of the physical form, it says to send it to Employee Health Services, and I'm wondering if this is also where we send the immunization info and the medical screening?? Your help is appreciated!

Hey guys, I'm trying to complete all the forms they want us to complete and I need help figuring out where they go. I know the Data Sheet goes to the Office of Admissions. Is that where the Student Demographic Form should be sent as well? On the bottom of the physical form, it says to send it to Employee Health Services, and I'm wondering if this is also where we send the immunization info and the medical screening?? Your help is appreciated!

I asked the admissions office this same question, and they said that either will do. If you send it to the admissions office, they'll forward it to Employee Health Services. I'd save the shipping $ and send it all in the same envelope. Hope that helps!

Question for current med students- when would you recommend we start seriously looking for housing/move to Winston-Salem? I thought I saw something about school/orientation starting at the end of July, can anyone confirm this?

I would start seriously looking right now, it's not to soon to start moving either. You can find a place now and tell them when you can move in, maybe they will pro-rate it.

Hey guys, just wondering how much books and stuff will cost at the beginning of the year? Are all books required? Is it easy to find used stuff? For the FA they allocate for books, do you usually spend it all at the beginning of the year or is the cost of books split for each semester?

Thanks.

As a follow-up to that I've also been wondering how students connect to buy/sell books. Is this normally done during orientation?

Does anyone know if the wait list has moved at all recently? I haven't seen any posts about people getting off the wait list in the past couple of weeks...:(

Hey guys, just wondering how much books and stuff will cost at the beginning of the year? Are all books required? Is it easy to find used stuff? For the FA they allocate for books, do you usually spend it all at the beginning of the year or is the cost of books split for each semester?

During orientation you'll get a "Survival Guide" made by the class above you. It's a ~40 page document that tells you everything…curriculum, books, door codes, study tips, etc. This will answer so many of your questions.

Quick breakdown:
1. Anatomy: You need Netter's and a Neuro book, your lab group needs a dissector, optional books include Histo, flashcards, clinical anatomy, review books, etc
2. cellular block: biochem is required, path is pretty necessary (huge book, will be useful for 2nd year too, available online through the library if you don't mind staring at a comp), immuno is available online, a lot of people used Clinical Microbio made ridiculously simple but I did fine without it.
3. Neuro block: you use the same neuro book you bought during anatomy. Required!!

Again, all of this is explained in orientation, but just wanted to show you that you won't buy $1500 in books like the budget says (which freaked me out at first). That includes equipment too, but unless you buy an otoscope or something, you won't get near this number. Personally, I got Netters, flashcards, neuro, histo, immuno, biochem, and pathology. There were all <$100, some i got used for ~$30. I think I bought more books in college!

There are 2 ways to buy used books. We have a "for sale" website they'll show you during orientation. Another way is email&#8230;.you can email a whole class "ms2012" for example. So people will email out their book lists to your whole class. Reply quickly! (I've replied to an email in 8 seconds and someone beat me!!). I also had to buy a few books on amazon because students keep some books to study for boards or just to keep (i don't think I'll ever sell my netters or path book)

Also, don't buy stethoscopes yet b/c a Litthmann rep comes and sells them to us at a discount. I think most people in my class did it this way&#8230;.

I am going down to Winston-Salem to find housing either this weekend or the beginning of next week. I will be looking for a house in the Ardmore neighborhood. Does anybody know if it is easier to contact renters on the weekends or weekdays?
Also, I remember a medical student posting on this thread that his wife did rental real estate. Does anybody know how to contact her possibly?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Does anyone know if the wait list has moved at all recently? I haven't seen any posts about people getting off the wait list in the past couple of weeks...:(

Yes, I got a call and then an email this morning!

I am going down to Winston-Salem to find housing either this weekend or the beginning of next week. I will be looking for a house in the Ardmore neighborhood. Does anybody know if it is easier to contact renters on the weekends or weekdays?
Also, I remember a medical student posting on this thread that his wife did rental real estate. Does anybody know how to contact her possibly?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Yeah, I think that was Dcons whose wife worked in real estate. He has some postings on page 1, you could go there and PM him.

Hi all, I’m married with a new baby and wondered if anyone knew of an area where other med students in my situation will be living. I would love for my wife to have friends close that understand what it is like to lose a spouse to intense test weeks.

Hi all, I’m married with a new baby and wondered if anyone knew of an area where other med students in my situation will be living. I would love for my wife to have friends close that understand what it is like to lose a spouse to intense test weeks.

The best advice I have is to attend all of the "after-school" orientation social gatherings. Not only do you get to make friends - so does your wife!

Winston isn't that big, and my wife's friends are typically only a few minutes away.

Thanks LabMonster, that sounds like good advice.

Thanks LabMonster, that sounds like good advice.

Hey-
I will be moving to Winston-Salem with my siginificant other as well. She is definitely looking for friends who will understand the stresses of dating a busy medical student. They should meet up!
Will be signing our lease tomorrow morning! Looking forward to meeting everybody.

Looks like there is already a club for siginificant others with information on the accepted aplicants page! I have a cousin that lived in Winston-Salem while her husband finished his internship year at the hospital. She told me that, in addition to the school sponsored stuff, there is also a club called "moms and dads of Winston-Salem" or something like that. She enjoyed the play groups for her daughter. Sounds like the whole area is supportive of families.