Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyberMaxx

Doing math in pen
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that interviews are done for almost every school it seems like the waitlist offers are really piling up. I personally have been waitlisted at every out-of-state school I interviewed at and am starting to go a little crazy :scared:. I thought about posting in the Panic Thread but felt guilty because I do have an acceptance. Anyone else dealing with waitlist insanity??? Maybe this will be like the Panic Thread and posting in here will give you good luck... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I wouldn't say that I'm in the exact same boat. I have more than 1 acceptance but am on the wait list for my top choice and would REALLY like to just know where I'm going to f***ing be in 6 months. I also feel guilty about complaining as there are less fortunate guys and gals on these forums. Thanks for starting this thread. :)

Reactions: 6 users
I'm on 9 wait lists. I'm lucky enough to have a few great acceptances, but all this wait list tension is driving me nuts nonetheless. Every time I get an email from a med.*.edu address, I nearly have a heart attack.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on 9 waitlists. I'm lucky enough to have a few great acceptances, but all this waitlist tension is driving me nuts nonetheless. Every time I get an email from a med.*.edu address, I nearly have a heart attack.
I would be shocked if you didn't move from 1 of 9 wait lists!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi, I'm PreMedOrBread and I'm on a waitlist too. Or wait, is that for Waitlist-o-holics anonymous.

Anyway, yeah, this might be a good idea as dwelling on my one waitlist spot is starting to stress me out. SUPPORT!

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, but at the same time, I'd feel guilty holding on to nine wait list spots while other people on those same wait lists haven't been accepted anywhere as of yet. I've already withdrawn from three of the nine, and I'll probably bump that up to four or five by the end of next week.

Yeah, but at the same time, I'd feel guilty holding on to nine wait list spots while other people on those same wait lists haven't been accepted anywhere as of yet. I've already withdrawn from three of the nine, and I'll probably bump that up to four or five by the end of next week.

Feel free to peruse my mdapps and drop any of the schools I'm wait listed at :)

Reactions: 11 users
Checking in with 6 waitlists. Best of luck everyone!

Feel free to peruse my mdapps and drop any of the schools I'm wait listed at :)

Maybe we could work this like Pokémon cards. You know like I'll drop my waitlist at UofI if you drop yours at BU... ;)

Reactions: 5 users

Not to incite panic, but I would not be. I interviewed at schools ten times, rejected initially by none of them, wait listed by nine, and was ultimately only accepted to the one program that did not wait list me.

And I consider myself fortunate.

It can be difficult to put into perspective, especially for those with high stats and high expectations for themselves, but any US MD program will do you excellently in your education and you should feel very blessed to have the opportunity to attend any one of those universities.

Best of luck to those on wait lists, though, they do move regardless of how it appears they don't!

Reactions: 3 users
Not to incite panic, but I would not be. I interviewed at schools ten times, rejected initially by none of them, wait listed by nine, and was ultimately only accepted to the one program that did not wait list me.

And I consider myself fortunate.

It can be difficult to put into perspective, especially for those with high stats and high expectations for themselves, but any US MD program will do you excellently in your education and you should feel very blessed to have the opportunity to attend any one of those universities.

Best of luck to those on wait lists, though, they do move regardless of how it appears they don't!

debbie downer! pshhhh

Waitlisted at five schools. On a bright side we have about five months to start getting accepted...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm basically waitlisted at 4 schools in-state (CA), and only accepted to 1 OOS school. While I am grateful to have an acceptance, I would very much like to stay here if I can.

I'm waitlisted at 4 schools... which are my top 4 choices :p. 48 days until 5/15!

Reactions: 4 users
Next week all the AMCAS schools will be able to see the full reports (including waitlist) for all their applicants. I would think that if a school needs to fill a spot, that they would be more inclined to make an offer to someone who has not yet received an acceptance. So for all of you with only waitlist spots, this cycle is far from over.

Hello friends, not waitlisted myself (bit too early for me to apply!) but here's to hoping for some Changes

Next week all the AMCAS schools will be able to see the full reports (including waitlist) for all their applicants. I would think that if a school needs to fill a spot, that they would be more inclined to make an offer to someone who has not yet received an acceptance. So for all of you with only waitlist spots, this cycle is far from over.
I'm worried about this.

Should we send interest letters (and one intent letter) right before May 15?

1 waitlist, 2 "will hear soon"s
I need a hug.

Reactions: 1 users
One acceptance and waitlisted at 3 schools , 2 of which include my two top choices. I have been pretty bummed too :(

Next week all the AMCAS schools will be able to see the full reports (including waitlist) for all their applicants. I would think that if a school needs to fill a spot, that they would be more inclined to make an offer to someone who has not yet received an acceptance.oils can for all of you with only waitlist spots, this cycle is far from over.
But @gyngyn said earlier this year that medical schools can never see where you are waitlisted?

But @gyngyn said earlier this year that medical schools can never see where you are waitlisted?
Right, but schools where you are waitlisted can see where you are accepted.

So now that interviews are done for almost every school it seems like the waitlist offers are really piling up. I personally have been waitlisted at every out-of-state school I interviewed at and am starting to go a little crazy :scared:. I thought about posting in the Panic Thread but felt guilty because I do have an acceptance. Anyone else dealing with waitlist insanity??? Maybe this will be like the Panic Thread and posting in here will give you good luck... :rolleyes:

Sort of. I have an acceptance to my #2, but waitlisted at my #1. Mostly, I just hate the waiting until May. Otherwise, I'm actually satisfied with how things turned out seeing as I got my #2 and #3 schools. Let's hope everything happens in three's.

Reactions: 2 users
Does this benefit the waitlisted applicants in any way? I feel like schools should have no right to this information unless they have accepted the applicants already.
It doesn't really hurt or help them. If one is accepted to a very fine institution it might deter lesser schools (unless they are cheaper!).

Can schools see the acceptances of candidates with no official post-interview decision (ie silence or continued) or must they officially be on the waitlist?
The school must make a decision registered with AMCAS before they are able to access anything. Silence or a non-decision does not allow access.

At this point I'm not even sure whether the school I thought was my number one is my number one anymore. I was waitlisted there...but I'm starting to fall in love (again) with my number two which was my number one before I interviewed at my number one. I'm basically confused. I would love to get off the waitlist but I'm not sure how I would choose...

Does this benefit the waitlisted applicants in any way? I feel like schools should have no right to this information unless they have accepted the applicants already.
I disagree. I think that I would want the spot to go to someone who hasn't been accepted anywhere else. I know people in that position and it's a really awful one to be in. If they were waitlisted, obviously they're qualified...

Thank you for creating this. It's good to see I'm not the only one on waitlists at a few of my top choices (see MDApps). I do consider myself lucky to be accepted at a great institution though.

I guess we'll see what happens come May 15!

I'm so in love with the one school I've officially been wait listed at that it hurts. Not to mention I have two schools left that have a " you're on the waitlist once you've interviewed and haven't been accepted yet" type deal along with really liking where I've been accepted to already, so I might be going slightly crazy soon.

Sort of. I have an acceptance to my #2, but waitlisted at my #1. Mostly, I just hate the waiting until May. Otherwise, I'm actually satisfied with how things turned out seeing as I got my #2 and #3 schools. Let's hope everything happens in three's.
do you know if schools send acceptances on may 15th? or is this when they start to look at waitlist applicants.

do you know if schools send acceptances on may 15th? or is this when they start to look at waitlist applicants.

I think it's school-dependent, but I imagine May 15th is a day that waitlist movement begins as begin start to withdraw from multiple acceptances in droves as the deadline to do so approaches. So, acceptances off the waitlist probably ramp up on that day or soon after until that school fills out their class. Some schools will probably take people off the waitlist earlier, but from what I hear the bulk of this movement occurs mid-May to late May/early June. There's probably a bit of planning in how to approach the waitlist and who to take off, so they probably are already looking at the waitlist.

I know Emory requires a response within 24 hours of notification. Is that the norm or will we have longer on average?

Thank you for creating this. It's good to see I'm not the only one on waitlists at a few of my top choices (see MDApps). I do consider myself lucky to be accepted at a great institution though.

I guess we'll see what happens come May 15!

I can feel your pain...

It will depend on how closely the admissions dean's calculations align with reality. If they want to be able to sleep, they will accept a somewhat smaller number than needed to fill the class so that they get to the waitlist in late May with a soft landing.

If they have nerves of steel, they attempt to get very close to the actual number needed to fill and hope that they only get to the waitlist very late for very few candidates.

I know Emory requires a response within 24 hours of notification. Is that the norm or will we have longer on average?
It's usually 48 hours to a week, except in unusual circumstances. At least a couple of places gave two weeks!

I hope it's longer cause there's no way I can make a decision on any of my schools within a day

I hope it's longer cause there's no way I can make a decision on any of my schools within a day

I don't know, I've spent so much time thinking about the various schools I've interviewed at I feel like I have them pretty well ranked in my head. The only thing that would make it difficult is if I got offered a spot off of the waitlist with a drastically different financial package than I expected. Though, seeing as I was on the waitlist to begin with this seems unlikely! :p

I appreciate the waitlist commiseration. I want to start planning for next year--I don't know how to evaluate the chances or benefits of these waitlists. I'm probably going to dump most of mine after second looks in April, but there are a few schools I'm unsure about...just a continuation of the insanity of this process. All of my friends and family in non-medical fields don't understand why I can't say for sure where I'm going yet.

I'm deferred at 2 school, zero acceptances. I feel fortunate just to have gotten interviewed, but I really wish I knew whether or not to renew the lease on my apartment, start looking for housing in other states, start looking for a better job, start studying for a retake, etc etc etc. I cannot wait until May 15th - unless of course I just get waitlisted then.

I'm so in love with the one school I've officially been wait listed at that it hurts. Not to mention I have two schools left that have a " you're on the waitlist once you've interviewed and haven't been accepted yet" type deal along with really liking where I've been accepted to already, so I might be going slightly crazy soon.

I know how you feel, brosef. Because it's the same school.

2 wait-lists and 1 pending post-interview decision! I'm going through a lot in my life right now, so good news would really mean everything to me at this moment.

Does it show if you've interviewed and they haven't decided anything yet?

Hang in there on the waitlist - I applied late in cycle and only received waitlist decisions at first. That lucky phone call came at the end of May that I was offered a spot in the class.

Reactions: 6 users
Hang in there on the waitlist - I applied late in cycle and only received waitlist decisions at first. That lucky phone call came at the end of May that I was offered a spot in the class.
Yay!

Does it show if you've interviewed and they haven't decided anything yet?

No, a school must make a decision (either WL or Accept) before they can see your other acceptances. (or lack thereof)

So the waitlist positions that I'm holding onto fall in to two categories: ranked and unranked. I assume I should keep sending updates and LoIs to schools where I am on an unranked waitlist but what about schools where I am on a ranked waitlist? Will continued letters have any effect or at this point is there nothing to do but wait?

@plumazul - That is really good to know... I didn't know that about being able to see your other acceptances. Thanks!