VSAS how it works?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is it so horrible to do a rotation at an HCA hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

How late into 4th year is too late for auditions? Im planning on ending my last one mid dec, trying to decide if this is too late

How late into 4th year is too late for auditions? Im planning on ending my last one mid dec, trying to decide if this is too late
Do you need a letter from it. Then yes. Also when does your specialty interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need a letter from it. Then yes. Also when does your specialty interview?
No letter needed just trying to maximize IV yield at desired programs, and from what i can tell mostly Dec/Jan with a few sprinkled in earlier.

Last audition id be trying for would be nov16th-dec11th

No letter needed just trying to maximize IV yield at desired programs, and from what i can tell mostly Dec/Jan with a few sprinkled in earlier.

Last audition id be trying for would be nov16th-dec11th

Might also depend on how late your place interviews too. One of my top pick interviews until February, so even a January audition might be viable if it's the only thing that fits your schedule. I'm shooting for IM and I'm trying to audition as early as possible. Your Nov-Dec date might be loaded with interviews as Oct - Nov is when there is the greatest volume of interviews, at least according to the stats my school gives me). You don't want to constantly leave for interviews during that Nov-Dec month you have.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought about this as well but still gonna go through with my November audition site. I heard generally the programs understand if you’re leaving for interviews. Also confirmed with our current 4th years if the site I chose is okay about giving days off for interviews. For IM I would just get my subI done in July and may be one audition in August if you have a geographic preference and call it a day.

Yeah, that's the plan. We have some freedom in scheduling our interview dates too, but having 3+ interview in a 4 week span might leave a bad taste for a program. I've heard of some specialty programs(gas does this per friend) interviewing during the weekends too, so that's some flexibility for scheduling during a sub-i. I'll just be grateful in having any interviews later haha.

Anyone know about the VSAS immunization form? I have all the immunizations and titers so can I just have the doc I'm rotating with sign off on it? (OB for example). I don't have a PCP where I'm rotating and I'm at the hospital from 8-5 every day.

In the same boat as not knowing what to do at this point. How many places should I be applying to if I want EM?

whats up brethren? this process sucks

I am literally just checking it every day to see if new rotations/institutions have been added lol. I have a spreadsheet with possible places I'd want to go and all the supposed dates they have listed as their "go live" VSAS dates.

I started an excel document with dates and specific items I need for some spots (based on last year requirements and speaking to coordinators via email).

One spot that has a "go live" date was April 1st. Looked this afternoon and the first day to submit was 5 days ago.

On top that this site requests that i email the GME director directly w/ all the documents needed. So it feels like VSLO is pointless.

Gotta love this process. Now i'm checking specific sites I want to go to daily.

Reactions: 2 users
For the fellas with beards..

How are y'all getting the N-95 mask fitting test done? It seems to be a requirement at many of these rotation sites and having a beard automatically means you can't pass the mask fitting test.

• Hmm
For the fellas with beards..

How are y'all getting the N-95 mask fitting test done? It seems to be a requirement at many of these rotation sites and having a beard automatically means you can't pass the mask fitting test.

My school just had us do it before rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
Also did you guys just upload the AAMC immunization form? Or did you attach all the copies of titers vaccinations etc. along with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also did you guys just upload the AAMC immunization form? Or did you attach all the copies of titers vaccinations etc. along with it.
One place im applying requires the AAMC form and separate uploads for titers and flu shot. Whack and repetitive but im uploading both and sending depending on what they ask for!

VSAS has been useless for me up to this point. I've been able to get 4 auditions by using Clinician Nexxus or Simply e-mailing programs and asking for a spot.

I'm just sending them the AAMC immunization form unless they specifically ask for titers or something. My school filled it out for me and didn't attach any copies to it. I have the documentation but it's a poorly organized mess of scanned in images so I decided best to not force programs to go through it with a comb just to verify what my school documented and signed.

sent in a handful of apps for a end of 3rd year elective. 2 institutions denied me because I'm not a 4th year yet (even though their instructions didn't say that as a requirement) but one place accepted me so far. I have a couple weeks to accept it. Honestly still not sure what specialty I want to do but hopefully that will help give me some clarity. Will send in more apps for the beginning of 4th year. Good luck mates

Anyone know about the VSAS immunization form? I have all the immunizations and titers so can I just have the doc I'm rotating with sign off on it? (OB for example). I don't have a PCP where I'm rotating and I'm at the hospital from 8-5 every day.

I uploaded all of my immunizations & the AAMC form just in case.

Also, how are people finding out about this N-95 mask? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on VSAS or institutions' requirements section... is this something I should do? If so how do I do it?

I uploaded all of my immunizations & the AAMC form just in case.

Also, how are people finding out about this N-95 mask? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on VSAS or institutions' requirements section... is this something I should do? If so how do I do it?

It's on page 2 at the bottom - "respiratory fit testing". If your school doesn't help with it then check out some urgent cares in your area some of them do it. It costs $50 ish. Google N-95 fit testing in your area and something should pop up. Some (many?) VSAS programs ask for it.

It's only a problem if you're a grizzly bearded son of a gun like me lol. Otherwise it's not that hard to get it done don't worry.

I'm just sending them the AAMC immunization form unless they specifically ask for titers or something. My school filled it out for me and didn't attach any copies to it. I have the documentation but it's a poorly organized mess of scanned in images so I decided best to not force programs to go through it with a comb just to verify what my school documented and signed.

Thanks. I'll do the same unless the school specifically asks. I don't wanna give them more than needed in case they find something weird to delay the process further :laugh:

Your schools are letting you down big time. Our school had 1-2 lectures just about VSAS, and we met with upperclassmen in small groups to help us plan it out. Also, our health center totally hooked it up with the immunization forms. Demand more from your schools, this is embarrassing. VSAS is only gonna become more important every year.

Are many of you from newer programs?

It's on page 2 at the bottom - "respiratory fit testing". If your school doesn't help with it then check out some urgent cares in your area some of them do it. It costs $50 ish. Google N-95 fit testing in your area and something should pop up. Some (many?) VSAS programs ask for it.

It's only a problem if you're a grizzly bearded son of a gun like me lol. Otherwise it's not that hard to get it done don't worry.

Firstly, thank you.

Secondly, I look like a prepubescent boy without my facial hair I hope I don't have to shave it off.

Opinions on doing multiple 2 week long aways as opposed to 4 weeks? So far I’m finding it easier to set up 2 week electives. I know it’s “early” but I’m paranoid about turning them down in case I don’t get anything at all later!

Welp just found this thread today so now I’m panicking haha. How many programs are you guys applying to? My school has a LIC curriculum so we don’t have 3rd year grades until we finish 3rd year (probably wont have an official transcript until April) am I gonna be super behind if this can’t be uploaded until then?

Welp just found this thread today so now I’m panicking haha. How many programs are you guys applying to? My school has a LIC curriculum so we don’t have 3rd year grades until we finish 3rd year (probably wont have an official transcript until April) am I gonna be super behind if this can’t be uploaded until then?

Haven't seen 3rd year grades as a requirement. I did have to upload unofficial transcripts at a few places. You're not behind, really depends on where you are. Most of Texas schools haven't opened yet and that's where I'm looking to apply.

Anybody heard back from programs yet? I have a friend from school who said they heard back from a university-affiliated family med program in the midwest.

I personally haven't heard from any programs yet.

Anybody heard back from programs yet? I have a friend from school who said they heard back from a university-affiliated family med program in the midwest.

At this point I'm REALLY hoping programs don't overreact and begin cancelling aways/auditions :eek:

Reactions: 3 users

Didn't go through VSAS because I'm a 2nd year (in a 3 year program) and haven't taken Step 1 or Level 1 yet........but yeah I've got 2 auditions...one June, one July. I have another 2 programs that say they're considering me for October.....one of which says the audition there also counts as the interview. The vast majority of places I contacted with said they're obligated to use VSAS, so they were not an option for me. I also heard several places say they're not even offering auditions until after match day.

Finally got done with this today after my school dragged its ***. I applied to 6 programs. Hopefully I get one and can get a good letter in my desired field. Eff this.

Reactions: 4 users
Finally got done with this today after my school dragged its ***. I applied to 6 programs. Hopefully I get one and can get a good letter in my desired field. Eff this.
Are auditions still going on with all the COVID19 craziness going on? I know some schools even pulled people off rotations.

Sent from my SM-G981U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
A couple New York sites arent accepting students for 4th year rotations due to covid...

I still haven't applied. Ugh
Get on it. My school sent an email saying they’re basically not doing anything (so somehow even less?) in admin after this week. Your school has to send stuff for your aways.

Get on it. My school sent an email saying they’re basically not doing anything (so somehow even less?) in admin after this week. Your school has to send stuff for your aways.

Which is so irritating. One of my top places I really want to rotate opened yesterday, and my school still hasn't done their part of it. The last few I've applied for they did it that same day.

Man I just got notification of VSAS denials from a community hospital internal medicine residency program near my hometown. Reason stated “you do not meet the current criteria at this time.” This wasn’t my dream program (not that I would know that for sure yet) but it was near family and would have been glad to go there for residency let alone a rotation which is what I was trying to get.

Sigh. I’ve been up all night working on my school’s online COVID-19 course while looking up/adding residencies to my excel list. And this just feels bad. If I can’t even get a 4th year rotation at the IM program near my family and home town, what’s the chance I can even match in IM? Maybe I should give up and apply FM and even then I just feel bad about my chances to match anywhere now. Might sound like an overreaction but that’s always a fear and now it’s coupled with all the uncertainty of getting everything done in light of COVID-19 AND getting knocked down by that VSAS response.

Man I just got notification of VSAS denials from a community hospital internal medicine residency program near my hometown. Reason stated “you do not meet the current criteria at this time.” This wasn’t my dream program (not that I would know that for sure yet) but it was near family and would have been glad to go there for residency let alone a rotation which is what I was trying to get.

Sigh. I’ve been up all night working on my school’s online COVID-19 course while looking up/adding residencies to my excel list. And this just feels bad. If I can’t even get a 4th year rotation at the IM program near my family and home town, what’s the chance I can even match in IM? Maybe I should give up and apply FM and even then I just feel bad about my chances to match anywhere now. Might sound like an overreaction but that’s always a fear and now it’s coupled with all the uncertainty of getting everything done in light of COVID-19 AND getting knocked down by that VSAS response.

Are you actually missing a current criteria?
And you're overreacting :) My friends (the smart ones who'll eventually apply to GI/Cardio etc.) just matched IM at great programs and the only IM rotation they did in their entire 4th year is their subI at our home institution. Unlike EM, It's not a death sentence to not get VSAS IM rotations.

Are you actually missing a current criteria?
And you're overreacting :) My friends (the smart ones who'll eventually apply to GI/Cardio etc.) just matched IM at great programs and the only IM rotation they did in their entire 4th year is their subI at our home institution. Unlike EM, It's not a death sentence to not get VSAS IM rotations.

I submitted everything on my end and as far as I know my school did. I don’t know what mystical unpublished criteria they are referring to. And I’m less worried about not having “aways/auditions” and more worried that if I’m not even wanted for a month as a student how the heck will I ever get anyone to want me for a residency I’m a simple DO student with aspirations of general IM primary care. And this program has like 25% DOs. And it’s the closest IM residency to my hometown. It just feels bad. Like a sign of things to come in residency applications.

I submitted everything on my end and as far as I know my school did. I don’t know what mystical unpublished criteria they are referring to. And I’m less worried about not having “aways/auditions” and more worried that if I’m not even wanted for a month as a student how the heck will I ever get anyone to want me for a residency I’m a simple DO student with aspirations of general IM primary care. And this program has like 25% DOs. And it’s the closest IM residency to my hometown. It just feels bad. Like a sign of things to come in residency applications.
Breathe. For all you know they’re just rejecting everyone bc of covid and that’s just the generic auto response that gets sent when they reject someone. Even if not the case, remember what you learned from applying to med school: everything’s stupid and nothing matters.

Reactions: 6 users

Deep breaths. Away applications are a crap shoot and you will be 100% fine come residency app time.

Reactions: 4 users
Are people getting notifications back about programs accepting students? Two of the programs I have contacted said they will revisit it in late april-May about visiting student rotations?

Are people getting notifications back about programs accepting students? Two of the programs I have contacted said they will revisit it in late april-May about visiting student rotations?

I heard back from two, but that's it.

Oregon Health Sciences University just sent me an email. Last line:
At this time OHSU will not be accepting applications for the Academic Year 2020/2021.

I suspect more and more places will be following suit if they haven't already suspended VSLO applications for the year

So far I have set up 1 audition in clinician nexus, 1 outpatient elective, a rejection from 1 audition I mentioned on VSAS, and multiple pending on clinician nexus and VSAS with some programs I want to apply to for 4th year not even open yet.

So far I have set up 1 audition in clinician nexus, 1 outpatient elective, a rejection from 1 audition I mentioned on VSAS, and multiple pending on clinician nexus and VSAS with some programs I want to apply to for 4th year not even open yet.
You’ll be okay and find a place, might not be able to get close to fam, but your Nexus audition is pretty close. I’d hit up some of the VCOM core sites and consider migrating a bit North too.