VSAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NecrotizingFasciitis

IR/DR PGY-2 (DO)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Quick question(s). I'm new to VSAS.. just kinda messing around with it right now.

I want to do an away rotation specifically in internal medicine at a couple places, but a certain school I'm looking at only has subspecialties listed to rotate in in VSAS. Is this normal? Would it provide the same benefit if I want to do IM & I'm not necessarily sure if I want to sub-specialize in anything?

Also, do the rotations offered at different schools change/update a lot in VSAS? For example, I see that a medicine away rotation is offered at a second school I'm looking at - they have a whole page of information devoted to it on their website - but I don't see it offered when I search in VSAS. It is offered to both MD & DO students, so that isn't the issue here.

Not sure when people normally submit applications either? Literally clueless over here.

Thanks!
-NF

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everybody,

Quick question(s). I'm new to VSAS.. just kinda messing around with it right now.

I want to do an away rotation specifically in internal medicine at a couple places, but a certain school I'm looking at only has subspecialties listed to rotate in in VSAS. Is this normal? Would it provide the same benefit if I want to do IM & I'm not necessarily sure if I want to sub-specialize in anything?

Also, do the rotations offered at different schools change/update a lot in VSAS? For example, I see that a medicine away rotation is offered at a second school I'm looking at - they have a whole page of information devoted to it on their website - but I don't see it offered when I search in VSAS. It is offered to both MD & DO students, so that isn't the issue here.

Not sure when people normally submit applications either? Literally clueless over here.

Thanks!
-NF

Rotations are updated occasionally throughout the cycle, but not very frequently. Some rotations are offered to MD students only and DOs may not be able to see them when they are searching. People usually submit VSAS apps months ahead of the start date because some programs fill up fast. You can email the coordinator to see if spots are filled in a certain block before submitting your app if you want to save money.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes it's normal. A lot of programs will fill internally for the standard floor rotations and only offer subspecialties to visiting students. (i.e having to do a NICU rotation instead of general peds, OB anesthesia or pain instead of regular clinical anesthesia). You will still be able to interact w/ residents and get to know the program. I still go to all didactics, was able to sit down with the PD and schedule a few days w/ him. So definitely still beneficial.

Submit apps as soon as you can. Some programs will post when apps open. Others wont or they'll be outdated so you have to check everyday. Apply to places that are somewhat reaches or in a region you're interested in if youre not from that region