Virginia Tech Carilion or Marshall? MUST DECIDE ASAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VTC or Marshall? Where would you go?

• Virginia Tech Carilion (VTC)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Marshall (MUSOM)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • It's a tie; they're both comparable.

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoIt4Love

Breathe...just believe.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently got accepted to Virginia Tech Carilion (VTC) off of their wait-list, the brand new school opening with Virginia Tech. I got into Marshall University in March, from out-of-state. I need to decide between the two by May 15 (4 DAYS AWAY!!) Here are the factors I've considered so far. Keep in mind that I would eventually like to become a practicing doctor in Virginia or DC.

MONEY:
VTC: 40k/year, but they are offering me a 1-year scholarship.
Marshall: out-of-state tuition: 46k/year. no scholarship.

VTC: Roanoke, VA (4 hrs from home) I like the city, and I prefer to be closer to home.
Marshall: Huntington, WV (6.5 hrs from home) Beautiful place, so-so city. Far from home but it's a gorgeous drive there!

SIZE:
VTC: 42 students/class. Really, really tiny. I'm not too comfortable with that.
Marshall: 85 students/class. Still small, but I'm okay with the size.

GRADING:
VTC: Pass/Fail
Marshall: A-F
...not sure which is better...thoughts anyone??

VTC: Brand new. Virginia Tech itself, however, is a big name, esp. in VA.
Marshall: Been around for about 40 years or so. Every medical student I've spoken with from the school loves it there.

FACILITIES:
VTC: Brand new, quite beautiful. Don't know much more than that.
Marshall: Enormous. Brand new, huge biotech center for undergrad science students and medical students.

HOSPITAL AFFILIATION:
VTC: Carilion Clinic
Marshall: Cabell-Huntington Hospital

COMPETITIVENESS:
VTC: looks like they're setting it up to be a very competitive environment (if you don't agree let me know!)
Marshall: comfy, students are chill, low-competitiveness environment.

So what do you guys think?

Last notes:
VTC: they are requiring all students to do this major research project, and I'm worried that the load will be too heavy/stressful to handle; I'd much rather have the option of doing research if I want to, but just focusing on classes if I need to. Also, being a brand new school, I'm hoping that the inevitable bumps in the road won't affect my academic performance in the end.
Marshall: really sweet, friendly faculty and staff. the school kind of felt like a comfy home away from home.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I recently got accepted to Virginia Tech Carilion (VTC) off of their wait-list, the brand new school opening with Virginia Tech. I got into Marshall University in March, from out-of-state. I need to decide between the two by May 15 (4 DAYS AWAY!!) Here are the factors I've considered so far. Keep in mind that I would eventually like to become a practicing doctor in Virginia or DC.

MONEY:

VTC: Roanoke, VA (4 hrs from home) I like the city, and I prefer to be closer to home.
Marshall: Huntington, WV (6.5 hrs from home) Beautiful place, so-so city. Far from home but it's a gorgeous drive there!

SIZE:

GRADING:

Marshall: Been around for about 40 years or so. Every medical student I've spoken with from the school loves it there.

FACILITIES:
Marshall: Enormous. Brand new, huge biotech center for undergrad science students and medical students.

HOSPITAL AFFILIATION:

COMPETITIVENESS:
VTC: looks like they're setting it up to be a very competitive environment (if you don't agree let me know!)

Last notes:
VTC: they are requiring all students to do this major research project, and I'm worried that the load will be too heavy/stressful to handle; I'd much rather have the option of doing research if I want to, but just focusing on classes if I need to. Also, being a brand new school, I'm hoping that the inevitable bumps in the road won't affect my academic performance in the end.
Marshall: really sweet, friendly faculty and staff. the school kind of felt like a comfy home away from home.

i just replied to your post on the vtc thread, but wanted to give me two cents here, too lol. let me preface my opinions by saying i interviewed at both schools and will most likely be attending VTC this fall...

1. The money factor is big, and I get the feeling they will be offering us additional scholarships for our last 3 years (probably not full-tuition, though)
2. VTC's class size is really small...Marshall's is more ideal. That was pretty much the only negative for me when deciding whether or not to accept VTC's offer. However, it will probably make the class very close-knit and allow it to establish a "home away from home" type feeling.
3. I think the Virginia Tech name along with the school's research emphasis will help VTC gain a competitive reputation very quickly, if this is important to you. Marshall has a lower rep, even among WV residents.
4. Grading: P/F is a huge plus for me. Med school is going to be hard enough already without having to worry about trying to get A's all the time and compete with your fellow students for class rank. I
5. Some of the faculty present at the VTC interview came off as unfriendly, but I think overall the community is really excited about the school. Marshall faculty seemed quite friendly.
6. Research project: Look at the curriculum outline on their website for all 4 years...there is a TON of dedicated research time built into the schedule. I don't think we're expected to do too much extra research while normal classes are going on. Research is basically required for good residency placements, so I think (at least, for me) having it built into the curriculum will a) keep us on track to actually do something worth publishing, and b) guarantee us access to research labs and PI's to work with.

Whew, that was long, but hopefully helpful. Tough decision, but what helped me was picturing myself at each school I was accepted to and imagining what it would feel like to hang their diploma on my office wall. The one that gives you the warm fuzzies is probably the right school for you! :laugh:

I don't know about the whole tuition thing.

Plus, in the grand scheme of things, a year's tuition really doesn't mean much. I think it is much more important to choose a school based on quality. A more established school is always a better bet for future career advancement.

I think I mentioned this once before, but I student who chooses a school based on a year's free tuition is like a patient who chooses a doctor because he had a coupon!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your insights. you've made a lot of valid points. i'm also seeing another:

it's true that going to a brand new school with no established reputation yet may make it tougher to get a residency, but how much easier will it be when going to a school whose name recognition mainly exists in West Virginia or Ohio? For me, Virginia/DC is the area I want to practice and hopefully do my residency, so I guess recognition will be a weakness of both schools.

my poll is now at a dead tie! I really need more of you guys' thoughts!

There aren't many people who will be able to directly compare the two schools, especially since VTC is so new.

VTC will be an interesting ride for you and likely less expensive. It has a lot of potential, but there is the risk that the first class guinea pigs will experience a good deal of friction as the university tries to balance its mission with reality. For example, I personally think there will be a good bit of struggling when the school attempts to shove everyone into research when a good portion of it will have to take place so far away (ie. not on-campus).

Marshall is a known quantity that you can go in knowing what to expect.

I would choose VTC IF they live up to their potential. I would go in knowing, however, that they might just crash and burn. Small chance that will happen, but it always can when people try something new. I would personally take that risk if I were you (but I am not).

:luck:

I think the guinea pig thing at VTC is a real problem. Unless they have modified it, I got the impression that VTC is heavy into mandatory classes, PBL small group stuff, etc., and you will literally be at school all day every day. The added burden of the research project may be the tipping point.

My guess is that if this is the case, students will grouse and they will adjust the mandatory schedule accordingly, but honestly, I would not want to go through even one year of that, and they seem to think they are pioneers in medical education and they may not listen to students...

I have no opinion on Marshall, but at least it is a known quantity, and hopefully you have really kicked the tires there and know what it is all about.

Well I vote for Virginia Tech Carilion:love: .And perhaps most importantly (especially if you decide to go there); It is not MUSOM, but Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine!:laugh:

Hey All,

MONEY:

SIZE:

GRADING:

FACILITIES:

HOSPITAL AFFILIATION:

COMPETITIVENESS:

Last notes:

I voted for Va Tech, what did you ultimately choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.