VCU vs. NYMC...any opinions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky889

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was hoping that someone could give me some advice ASAP.
I am accepted to both VCU and NYMC and I need to make a decision. The cost is about the same since I am not a Virginia Resident. I liked Virginia better when I visited it, but I do not know too much about Richmond, coming from New York, and I am not positive about the area.

I was trying to do some research about residencies and it seems like the hospitals are pretty comparable- VCU may have a better hospital, but NYMC students are more likely to get residencies in New York. It seemed from my research and interview that the faculty and students were more friendly and that the students didn't choose the school simply because it was the only school they got into, which worries me about NYMC.

However, NYMC is only 1.5 hrs away from home whereas VCU is a little over 5 hrs away. The actual idea of being away from home doesn't concern me too much since I went to undergrad 6 hours away and adjusted very well. However, the move itself and finding an apartment will not be as easy in VCU as living on campus at NYMC. I don't know how the extent of the role of the location of the school in determining where you obtain a residency, and I don't know if it is more important if the hospital associated with VCU is more prestigious. I am also on the alternate list for Downstate and if I get in I definitely want to go there but I do not want to rely on that.

Any suggestions? I will take any help I can get.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am accepted to both VCU and NYMC and I need to make a decision. The cost is about the same since I am not a Virginia Resident. I liked Virginia better when I visited it, but I do not know too much about Richmond, coming from New York, and I am not positive about the area.

I was trying to do some research about residencies and it seems like the hospitals are pretty comparable- VCU may have a better hospital, but NYMC students are more likely to get residencies in New York. It seemed from my research and interview that the faculty and students were more friendly and that the students didn't choose the school simply because it was the only school they got into, which worries me about NYMC.

However, NYMC is only 1.5 hrs away from home whereas VCU is a little over 5 hrs away. The actual idea of being away from home doesn't concern me too much since I went to undergrad 6 hours away and adjusted very well. However, the move itself and finding an apartment will not be as easy in VCU as living on campus at NYMC. I don't know how the extent of the role of the location of the school in determining where you obtain a residency, and I don't know if it is more important if the hospital associated with VCU is more prestigious. I am also on the alternate list for Downstate and if I get in I definitely want to go there but I do not want to rely on that.

Thanks!

First off, good luck on Downstate (since I'm going there in the fall)!

One thing I would say is just "go with your gut"--meaning, go to whichever school you feel you'll ultimately be happiest at--both in terms of academic education as well as "off-campus" type thing criteria--living space/area, surrounding area's "entertainment", etc."

My vote is for VCU though, based off my gut/logic. I think you may have more "fun" in Virginia, and it'll be a nice change for you. That being said, NYMC can also provide you with fun, since NYC isn't very far at all. The only problem with NYMC is you *may* want to be farther from your family? Those types of things you'll have to figure out for yourself, or explain to us before we can help you out in those areas.

I won't comment on which school has more students that ended up there bc it was their "only choice", but I would say that you can make that determination based on the stats of each school.

First off, good luck on Downstate (since I'm going there in the fall)!

One thing I would say is just "go with your gut"--meaning, go to whichever school you feel you'll ultimately be happiest at--both in terms of academic education as well as "off-campus" type thing criteria--living space/area, surrounding area's "entertainment", etc."

My vote is for VCU though, based off my gut/logic. I think you may have more "fun" in Virginia, and it'll be a nice change for you. That being said, NYMC can also provide you with fun, since NYC isn't very far at all. The only problem with NYMC is you *may* want to be farther from your family? Those types of things you'll have to figure out for yourself, or explain to us before we can help you out in those areas.

I won't comment on which school has more students that ended up there bc it was their "only choice", but I would say that you can make that determination based on the stats of each school.

+1 on the good luck. Hopefully some of these people posting the Downstate vs. threads and putting schools that are far inferior go to those inferior schools so someone who really wants to go gets in.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC has an excellent affiliated hospital in Westchester Medical Center - especially the Children's Hospital plus the affiliates in NYC. For the same price, I would definitely choose NYMed. Traveling to see your family would be much easier - good for support - but you won't be so close that it is an obligation. Also, if you want to match in the NY region, NYMC would certainly give you the advantage.

Good luck at Downstate if that is your choice over these two.

I'm also coming from New England area, and while I didn't get into NYMC, I choose VCU over a bunch of schools closer to home.

I would say go with your gut. I loved everyone I met at VCU on interview day, and I think in terms of the hospital for clinicals and for research, its pretty strong in both areas. Those were important to me. I'd weigh what factors you're considering, and choose based on that. Best of luck, and hope to see you next year at VCU (if thats what you decide)!

Thanks!

I went to VCU so I am a bit biased so take what I say as you may.

During the first 2 years, wherever you choose to go, you will have plenty of time to visit family on the weekends as you weekends more often than not are going to be free.

I was happy with VCU (formerly known as MCV). The faculty are great and the facilities, especially the hospital are pretty nice. Comparing the hospitals, I think VCU wins although either should be fine option. Both are level 1 trauma centers, both have burn units. MCV hospital is a hundred beds larger (~800) and also has a 400 bed VA as well. I'd recommend going to a place with a VA as the vets basically let you whatever you want as a student and are really nice. I have no idea if NYMC has a VA.

There are pros and cons to MCV hospital. It has a NCI designated cancer center (which NYMC does not). The internal medicine program is strong. It has basically every specialty you could want (which I imagine NYMC has as well). There are also some downsides. The peds program isn't very strong. This didn't stop many from my classmates from matching some truly exceptional places for peds (Johns Hopkins, duke) but it does make life a bit more difficult if you want peds b/c staying at MCV isn't a great option. I felt the surgery program was kind of malignant but others felt very differently.

In terms of patient populations, MCV sees almost exclusively indigent patients. They take care of roughly 50% of the indigent patient of all of Va and 75% of the indigent population of Richmond. This also means you see a lot of violent trauma like stabbings and gunshot wounds during your trauma rotation since it is in an inner city. I liked the population while I was a student. I have no idea of the NYMC population.

The board review was set up by Dr. Linda Costanzo who is the author of the major physiology text that all med students use for board study. Since physiology is one of the 3 main subjects on the boards and Dr Costanzo is a reviewer of the major board review books (and has reviewed basically all of the board review books herself), we were pretty well prepared for the boards. The board review involves lectures throughout the second half of the year during each lunch period, intensive 3 day review course of all major topics at the end of the year and it also included a meeting with Dr Costanzo where she would review your grades, your MCAT score and your weaknesses and give you a day-by-day study guide with the exact books to use given your scores. I found it incredibly helpful.

I have no idea how to compare cities since I don't know much about NYMC. Plus I am from Richmond originally so I don't think I'd be much help as Richmond is where I call home. Areas of Richmond have a distinctly southern feel as you get outside of the city but the areas around MCV (the fan) is where VCU undergrad is, which is one of the nation's top arts schools so it gives you an artsy feel at times.

The people, students and faculty are very nice and I was quite happy there for school.

In the end, I was happy with MCV. It doesn't have the same name recognition as Harvard but did allow me to interview at basically every top program i applied to including MGH and BIDMC (2 harvard hospitals), Penn, UNC, Yale, UTSW, and Hopkins. I ended up matching at my #1 choice (hopkins) where I am now for residency.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.