VCU vs Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NorwegianRepresentative

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have put together the list so far. Any knowledgeable input would be much appreciated.

VCU
Pros:
1. 1.5 Year curriculum
2. More diverse population
3. Opportunity to get out of the state
4. Less distractions
Cons:
1. Long lecture days (but many are optional)
2. Large class

UTAH
Pros:
1. Cheaper (I figure after interest it would be about $100k difference)
2. Mountains
3. Higher rank/Location out west (I am probably more interested in ending up on the west coast for career, but honestly think that either school could get me there)
4. Have some connections with physicians
Cons:
1. I have met a fair number of students that seem fairly apathetic there
2. More of the same
3. Standard 2 year curriculum wouldn't allow me as much clinical exposure before applying for the match for letters of recommendations and choosing a specialty

I am interested in specializing and academic medicine (from the standpoint of teaching future physicians and less of being a researcher). I am leaning toward VCU for the opportunity of a new experience, but also know that $100k difference is fairly significant. Any thoughts, especially if any Utah students could chime in because I haven't been able to find as much on that end.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
VCU
Pros:
1. 1.5 Year curriculum
2. More diverse population
3. Opportunity to get out of the state
4. Less distractions
Cons:
1. Long lecture days (but many are optional)
2. Large class

Cons:
3. Richmond
4. Richmond hipsters
5. VCU hipsters
6. Monroe park
7. humidity
8. the hospitals
9. vcu

utah

If you want to go to VCU, then by all means do it. I know it's a popular school from my state because of the fact that Utah doesn't admit very many OOS. Utah is a great school, and if you have a support system there (in addition to the # in the ranking system) it may be nice to stay in state. I would personally attend my IS school for tuition purposes, support system, etc. instead of VCU.

HOWEVER, money/ranking isn't everything. Go where your heart desires. Yes, $100K is a huge chunk of money - but there are definitely other people who will be in your shoes attending VCU because they have not been accepted to their in-state schools. (Think Californians). Those people will be paying off their debt too. If going to Utah would make you miserable, don't do it, but I think the benefits outweigh by far the idea of going to VCU.

Last edited:
VCU is a great school but it's not worth $100k extra and it won't provide you any extra opportunities in academic medicine. If anything, since academic medicine usually pays less than private practice, you're better off saving the money. Stay in Utah. You can go OOS for residency.