WMed vs. NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taylorloche

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just recently received an acceptance to NYMC so it looks like I have a decision to make (although I still have one more decision pending)! I liked both schools but the reasons why are pretty different so I'd love some insight, if anyone has any advice or resources to share. Anyways, here are my personal thoughts.

WMed:
Pros:
-Loved the community and students seemed happy
-Beautiful new facilities
-H/P/F grading
-Faculty and admin seemed very receptive to student input and making changes accordingly

Cons:
-Newer school- will this affect residency opportunities?
-Currently not approved for federal loans (although I believe this will change very soon)
-Small class size
-No summers off to do research

NYMC:
Pros:
-Older school, better established
-Large class size
-Beautiful campus/facilities
-More options for clinical years with a better network of hospitals

Cons:
-I couldn't get a sense for if the students were happy as I only talked to a couple on interview day (this is by far my largest concern!)
-Not P/F
-Campus seemed a bit remote, although it's in proximity to larger cities which I liked

I'm from the west coast, so distance from home is pretty much negligible at this point. Tuition is essentially the same as well, although cost of living is higher in Valhalla.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMC handsdown.

No summer will put you at a disadvantage for competitive specialties (unless you get research during some other time). Don't trust that the school will get federal loans soon unless you are told by the federal loan people themselves or they actually get approval.

NYMC is good and has a good match list. You can finds friends that make you happy at any school

Hey everyone!

I just recently received an acceptance to NYMC so it looks like I have a decision to make (although I still have one more decision pending)! I liked both schools but the reasons why are pretty different so I'd love some insight, if anyone has any advice or resources to share. Anyways, here are my personal thoughts.

WMed:
Pros:
-Loved the community and students seemed happy
-Beautiful new facilities
-H/P/F grading
-Faculty and admin seemed very receptive to student input and making changes accordingly

Cons:
-Newer school- will this affect residency opportunities?
-Currently not approved for federal loans (although I believe this will change very soon)
-Small class size
-No summers off to do research

NYMC:
Pros:
-Older school, better established
-Large class size
-Beautiful campus/facilities
-More options for clinical years with a better network of hospitals

Cons:
-I couldn't get a sense for if the students were happy as I only talked to a couple on interview day (this is by far my largest concern!)
-Not P/F
-Campus seemed a bit remote, although it's in proximity to larger cities which I liked

I'm from the west coast, so distance from home is pretty much negligible at this point. Tuition is essentially the same as well, although cost of living is higher in Valhalla.

Thanks for any help!
Well, there are no summers off to do research because it's built into the curriculum. I heard all students there are expected to publish at least once before graduating. It's mostly clinical/community research, but there will also be opportunities to do basic science research for the entering class of this year if that's important to you...

NYMC is a pretty "safe option" if you were worried about matching. They do very well on boards and are pretty well known. I don't think they'll have any issues getting into competitive specialties if that's your thing.

WMed is still a very new school and has alot of work ahead of them to build their reputation, I think. Might be more of an issue for the inaugural class than the class of 2020. Although, they are connected to hospitals that have been doing residency training for decades... so I don't think you'll have to worry that much about matching somewhere. But competitive specialties? I don't know. The admissions people seemed confident that their students will have no problem matching into competitive specialties. We'll have to wait and see don't we. . . but I guess you don't have that option. : P

Try and talk more with the peeps at NYMC before deciding. They must have a facebook page or something...