VCOM Class of 2011!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you that attended accepted students day would you mind telling me about the curriculum? I was told that it is changing a little bit.
Thanks a bunch!

they did state that it will be changing. however, they did not elaborate on it very much. they said that they will send out this information during the summer, so hopefully we will know sooner than later.

i think the major things will be the same, but with some small differences. that was the impression i got. anyone feel free to chip in here...

i am excited to know what the curriculum will look like when the changes are made.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone hear the news about Vtech today??

I'm totally in shock. Sorry to jump into this thread, but I'm on the waitlist at VCOM for this year. I actually did my post-bac pre-med at tech and worked in the ER at local hospital there. When the shooting happened in August in the ER, the security guard that was killed was a friend of mine and the shooting happened on my shift with all of my coworkers... luckily I had moved at that point so I wasn't there, but it totally shook up my world and I'm still horribly upset about that incident. I CANNOT even believe this is happening right now and that over 20 people have been killed ON CAMPUS! The town is such a small and safe town, everyone knows everyone (locals in the community do, not necessarily the students). Anyway, I'm still totally in shock. I've been talking to my friends who work in the hospital there and it's just horrible.

Not to be weird, but does this incident affect any of your decisions at all? I'd urge it not to because Blacksburg is usually such a safe and wonderful place, but then again I can't deny that these two horrible events have happened in less than a year's time there somehow. And, it's strange for me having grown up in NYC and the only person I know who's been shot was shot in this small town in Virginia where I worked and lived. I am still horrified and in shock and don't really know what else to say.

Members don't see this ad :)
what happened now is totally scaring me off. I might reconsider not going to vcom now since this happened. I have sent deposits to two schools (WVSOM) and vcom, I might going to wvsom now. This is important since safety is a priority on my list of which school to go to. 26+ killed is horrible, just imagine that happening at vcom, we only have two big classes and the entrance is easy to get into it. I know the building is away from the main campus, but its close enough. oh boy, i will pray for the families. This is SAD!!

what happened now is totally scaring me off. I might reconsider not going to vcom now since this happened. I have sent deposits to two schools (WVSOM) and vcom, I might going to wvsom now. This is important since safety is a priority on my list of which school to go to. 26+ killed is horrible, just imagine that happening at vcom, we only have two big classes and the entrance is easy to get into it. I know the building is away from the main campus, but its close enough. oh boy, i will pray for the families. This is SAD!!

What happened today could have happened at any large public institution. I wouldn't reconsider VCOM based solely on today's events.

I'm totally in shock. The town is such a small and safe town, everyone knows everyone (locals in the community do, not necessarily the students). .

I thought it was a small safe town too...wow, soo suprised..:eek: I guess stuff does happen everywhere..

I am still going in the fall, I loved VCOM

Agreed, I will be there in the fall. My prayers are with the victims and members of VTech and VCOM.

I'm still going to vcom in the fall. I'll be praying for the families and students involved. It is a horrible event. Vcom is a seperate institution and my decision will be to still attend vcom.

this will not affect my decision to attend VCOM. this was totally random and just goes to show that we are never safe. i mean, when is the last time you went to a new place and said "now this just seems like the place that a lunatic would go on a shooting rampage..."

i do think that the administration should reconsider their methods of notifying students and that the med school should consider increasing security efforts.

i will feel as safe in blacksburg as i did before this happened...

see you guys in august...

please remember all of the families and students involved....

I grew up in the Blacksburg community and having such a tragedy occur has been very difficult to deal with. Virginia Tech is such an amazing and special place to be and I hope that what has occurred will not be what Tech is remembered for. Please remember that this could have happened anywhere. I know that you have been watching the news for the past few days and if anything can be taken away from all of this it is that through it all Virginia Tech is a family and the way that the students and community have dealt with this tragedy makes me proud to be a HOKIE. I hope that you can see through the news coverage that through adversity Tech will prevail. I attached a part of the convocation that happened yesterday and I think that it is a good reflection on Tech and what we are all about, start it at the 49:52 mark and watch it for about 3:00 minutes with sound. Also, a maroon and orange effect has been issued for April 20th so wear your orange and maroon, GO HOKIES!!!
http://www.hokiesports.com/convocation.html

tried to send this before but it would not post so hopefully I will get it right this time.

Hi everyone. I've been reading posts on sdn for several months now, but this is my first actual post. I'll be attending VCOM in the fall and I just wanted to comment on some of the posts here. My parents and I went to Blacksburg on Monday to check out housing. It was an absolute shock and horror to hear of what had happend at VT. The entire community of and surrounding Blacksburg was completely devastated. The people of the town were in utter shock because, as they said, nothing of this proportion has ever happend in Blacksburg. But despite the devastation and sadness, it was absolutely incredible to see the way that the community and the student pulled together to lend support in the grieving process. It was obvious that everyone was in this together. Of all the students i've talked to and seen interviewed they all said the same thing; they don't want to place blame; they love their school and they will get through this together. Even though I was only there for a few days I could already see the community and students would heal together. Though I'm deeply saddened and will continually pray for the community, seeing the closeness and friendship interwoven through out Blacksburg only made me leave more excited about becoming a part of this awesome place. Of any reason that someone might choose not to come to VCOM, fear from this tragedy should not be one of them. As many have said, this could happen ANYWHERE, but there's a sense of comfort to have a community like Blacksburg behind you.

BabyDoc832, i just wanted to say that you have an amazing spirit and a well written post.

I was rethinking about what I wrote before and i realized that i was a bit naive about reconsidering the school. i know this situation occurred out of no where and for no reason, but when something like this happens, it troubles my mind greatly.

Anyway, i will see u guys in the fall, VCOM has more advantages for me than any other school and i am sticking to it.

whats bothering me now is housing. i truly despise this search. Can anyone from blacksburg or class of 2010 tell me if Apartment Heights is a good place to live? Does it have a lot of graduate students or mixed. I honestly dont have time in the summer to go up there and look around, I am just going to pick from what i see on the internet and your recommendations.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Simpleman,
You may want to consider Knollwood apartments. They are across the street from campus and I will be giving up one bedroom apartment there, (it was the last one I believe) One bedrooms are pretty hard to come across I hear so you may want to look into it. Good Luck with your housing hunt!

BabyDoc832, i just wanted to say that you have an amazing spirit and a well written post.

I was rethinking about what I wrote before and i realized that i was a bit naive about reconsidering the school. i know this situation occurred out of no where and for no reason, but when something like this happens, it troubles my mind greatly.

Anyway, i will see u guys in the fall, VCOM has more advantages for me than any other school and i am sticking to it.

whats bothering me now is housing. i truly despise this search. Can anyone from blacksburg or class of 2010 tell me if Apartment Heights is a good place to live? Does it have a lot of graduate students or mixed. I honestly dont have time in the summer to go up there and look around, I am just going to pick from what i see on the internet and your recommendations.

Any suggestions?

Hi Simpleman,
I am very happy to hear that you have reconsidered. I applaud your willingness to agree with our logic and admit your initial doubt about attending VCOM. I must admit after the news broke about the tragedy some of my family and friends started calling me and asking me if I was still going to attend. Most everyone said that I should and was very supportive of my decision to do so but in the back of my mind I kept thinking about your post and wondering if I was making the right choice. Now that you are back on board I too feel a bit more confident in my resolve to become apart of the wonderful Hokie community that I fell in love with on my previous visits to Blacksburg. Also, Fox Ridge Apartments is supposed to be a good housing complex, the main complaint seems to be that the walls are too thin. The recommendation is to apply for one on the third floor. I look forward to meeting you all in the fall and will continue to pray for everyone touched by this tragedy.

if Apartment Heights is a good place to live? Does it have a lot of graduate students or mixed. I honestly dont have time in the summer to go up there and look around, I am just going to pick from what i see on the internet and your recommendations.

Any suggestions?

Hello, after doing some extensive researching, I have to say that I have not heard very good things about Apartment Heights..do a search for ratings..were people rate where they live and ask upperclassmen..look again at that list I gave you..Terrace View is nice and includes some utilites..

Hello, after doing some extensive researching, I have to say that I have not heard very good things about Apartment Heights..do a search for ratings..were people rate where they live and ask upperclassmen..look again at that list I gave you..Terrace View is nice and includes some utilites..

Hey thanx alot. I think i am convinced now with Terrace View. I filled out their application and faxed it to them. I havent really seen the area, but it seems fine from the net. Are you considering Terrace View as well?

I wish I could stay at Knollwood right infront the school, but gosh, it is so expensive.

Hey thanx alot. I think i am convinced now with Terrace View. I filled out their application and faxed it to them. I havent really seen the area, but it seems fine from the net. Are you considering Terrace View as well?

I wish I could stay at Knollwood right infront the school, but gosh, it is so expensive.

I really would like to live close to VCOM too..are the 1 bedrooms gone yet?

Does anyone happen to know about how many people go on the waitlist and how many have been pulled off in the past?:confused: I have not seen much in posted on other threads.

I really would like to live close to VCOM too..are the 1 bedrooms gone yet?

no they are not, they will free up in mid june from what i heard. Call them and you can reserve the room for you!!!

Does anyone happen to know about how many people go on the waitlist and how many have been pulled off in the past?:confused: I have not seen much in posted on other threads.

Haven't heard any news about the movement yet..but I recall hearing that they would put 50 people on the waitlist..you may want to look at last years threads on movement..it seems there was a bit..don't give up!!

Good luck:luck:

Hey! Thanks for the encouragement. At this point giving up is not an option.

Hey everyone!

I bought a place this past weekend! I'll be posting pictures later today. Here's some info on it:

-2 bedrooms
-1.5 baths
-new washer/dryer
-built in 2000
-really quiet neighborhood in Christiansburg
-right next to the bypass
-rent probably b/w $450-475
-front and back porch
-and I can't think of anything else right now...

If you are interested, contact me at [email protected]

Here's the link:

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/nsolana/April%20- August/

The rooms won't be as messy as the pictures- I can assure you that.

I put all my pictures on this page, so in about a week or so, you'll have to push the "view all" page or just go to page two to see the photo's...

I am waiting to hear about the waitlist too! I left a message with Megan this morning hoping to get an update on the waitlist situation. I know the board was suppose to meet on Thursday, April 19, but not sure if they had the board due to the situation last week. I also know VCOM is interviewing through April 30, then a final board will meet to make final ranking decisions.

Did you find out anything from Megan? This waiting is the pitts. It seems we always had some sort of deadline and always busy, now it is just hurry up and wait! UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

So I just wanted to say what up to all my VCOM classmates. I cant wait to meet all of you in August. I have been thinking about posting for like 2 months and finally decided to stop being anti-social. I am really stoked to be going to VCOM and being around such awesome people (from the posts I've read).

So I just wanted to say what up to all my VCOM classmates. I cant wait to meet all of you in August. I have been thinking about posting for like 2 months and finally decided to stop being anti-social. I am really stoked to be going to VCOM and being around such awesome people (from the posts I've read).

Hi, welcome!! So glad that you finally decided to post..there are lots of us here and more on the myspace and facebook group..look on page 2 of this thread and you will find the link..

Glad more people are popping up..there are only 90something on the facebook..missing a couple..come out come out wherever you are..:laugh:

I know that this has been discussed a bunch but I am still wondering about good places to live and maybe a roommate. PM me if you need a roomie and just post places to live. Thanks!

I know that this has been discussed a bunch but I am still wondering about good places to live and maybe a roommate. PM me if you need a roomie and just post places to live. Thanks!

try Terrace View Apartments. Their apartments are new, they have alot of extras. The shopping mall is within walking distance, they have a weight room, a swimming pool, basketball courts, gas and water is included. Their prices are decent. I think i am convinced enough with this area! plus ask for the Graduate students quiet areas in any place you are seeking. I am probably going to rent a 1 room apartment for myself. It ranges from 500 to 595. You can check for two bedroom apartments. check out terraceviewapartments.com

try Terrace View Apartments. Their apartments are new, they have alot of extras. The shopping mall is within walking distance, they have a weight room, a swimming pool, basketball courts, gas and water is included. Their prices are decent. I think i am convinced enough with this area! plus ask for the Graduate students quiet areas in any place you are seeking. I am probably going to rent a 1 room apartment for myself. It ranges from 500 to 595. You can check for two bedroom apartments. check out terraceviewapartments.com

Hi, Simpleman!

Glad to see that you found housing at Terrace View..I told you there were nice and affordable....it's such a great feeling to have housing secured:D

Hey! Does anyone know how many are on the waitlist at this time? And when do they start pulling people off?

Hi, Simpleman!

Glad to see that you found housing at Terrace View..I told you there were nice and affordable....it's such a great feeling to have housing secured:D

thanx alot. You are the one who suggested it, so thank you.

hey guys. i went to the facebook site today to check out the VCOM 2011 group. i am obviously more familiar with myspace (although very limited familiarity i might add). on facebook, i was able to access the vcom group, but all i could see is the main profile. is there anyway to access more information on the individual (interests, etc) like on myspace or do you just get the basic info. (undergrad school, age, etc). i was curious about our group and thought this would be a good way to get an idea of the make-up of our class.

any ideas?

hey guys. i went to the facebook site today to check out the VCOM 2011 group. i am obviously more familiar with myspace (although very limited familiarity i might add). on facebook, i was able to access the vcom group, but all i could see is the main profile. is there anyway to access more information on the individual (interests, etc) like on myspace or do you just get the basic info. (undergrad school, age, etc). i was curious about our group and thought this would be a good way to get an idea of the make-up of our class.

any ideas?

I too am more of a myspacer...not crazy about facebook..but it seems that our class is..94 on facebook vs. 18 on myspace..:rolleyes: You have to be added as someone's friend to see thier profile, there is tells their likes, dislikes and intrests and pics....hope this helped.

I too am more of a myspacer...not crazy about facebook..but it seems that our class is..94 on facebook vs. 18 on myspace..:rolleyes: You have to be added as someone's friend to see thier profile, there is tells their likes, dislikes and intrests and pics....hope this helped.

ok cool. that does help. i was sure there had to be more to it than just that main page...

thanks for the info.

Is there anybody here who has been accepted to any other schools, and is a little skeptical on where they will be going next year? What I mean is there anybody not one hundred percent sure they are going to VCOM? :idea:

ok cool. that does help. i was sure there had to be more to it than just that main page...

thanks for the info.

no problem..so start adding people and then their name will be highlighted in blue and click on it and you can see their page..see you on facebook..

Exigente

Is there anybody here who has been accepted to any other schools, and is a little skeptical on where they will be going next year? What I mean is there anybody not one hundred percent sure they are going to VCOM? :idea:

hey there!! tell me, where else have you been accepted. I got accepted to many schools, put deposits on three schools (yes, i am stupid), and leaning more towards VCOM, mainly because it fits me more about location, my type of church, housing, cost, and professors. u can PM me if u want any further advice. what other schools are u looking at? tell us and maybe we can help you on ur decision. hope this helps :)

hey there!! tell me, where else have you been accepted. I got accepted to many schools, put deposits on three schools (yes, i am stupid), and leaning more towards VCOM, mainly because it fits me more about location, my type of church, housing, cost, and professors. u can PM me if u want any further advice. what other schools are u looking at? tell us and maybe we can help you on ur decision. hope this helps :)

just curious about one thing...how does VCOM fit "my type of church"?

just wondering...

just curious about one thing...how does VCOM fit "my type of church"?

just wondering...

hey!!! I am an orthodox christian and there is a church that is Roanoke, which is 15-20 mins away from VCOM. Church is very important to me than anything else. I live in the south right now, and from where i live, I drive 120 miles one way to church every sunday and back home. Having church really close to me is my number one priority. other schools are very far from church.

The only thing that I am afraid of VCOM is the fact its a new school founded in 2002. Other than that, I believe VCOM will become one of the top DO schools in the country. I hope i clarified :)

I would not be worried that much about VCOM's being young..their students have gotten really nice reviews from their rotations( heard from doctor)...and their first match lists were impressive..schools like Duke and some other bigs names I was told..there program seems solid..do some more research or contact some current students.

Hey waitlisters just wanted to tell you that I formally withdrew from VCOM today so good luck!:luck:

hey!!! I am an orthodox christian and there is a church that is Roanoke, which is 15-20 mins away from VCOM. Church is very important to me than anything else. I live in the south right now, and from where i live, I drive 120 miles one way to church every sunday and back home. Having church really close to me is my number one priority. other schools are very far from church.

The only thing that I am afraid of VCOM is the fact its a new school founded in 2002. Other than that, I believe VCOM will become one of the top DO schools in the country. I hope i clarified :)

wow...120 miles one way...that is some serious dedication. i am sure you already know this, but if you attend VCOM you could spend your entire third year in roanoke on your clinincals and be even closer to the church if you chose to do so.

well good luck to you. i am sure whatever decision you make will be the right one. i think VCOM is building a solid program and the match results for the first graduating class are good. will only get better w/better board scores, etc.