VCOM Class of 2011!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Samkell,

I stayed at the Comfort inn and I would highly recommend it!! The shuttle was a God send. I have to tell you my story. I arrived on interview day at 2:45pm, all flights to Roanoke were cancelled the day before my interview due to freezing rain in VA. So I left Philly 10:25 am on Sunday and got to VA 1:50pm on interview day. The shuttle took me straight to the interview from the airport. The entire faculty and staff at VCOM was very understanding of my situation and accommodated me. I was in shock, everyone was so good about the whole thing, and a few of the staff had prior engagements but they stayed late to interview me and give me a tour. Hope this helped feel free to ask me other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Samkell,

I stayed at the Comfort inn and I would highly recommend it!! The shuttle was a God send. I have to tell you my story. I arrived on interview day at 2:45pm, all flights to Roanoke was cancelled the day before my interview due to freezing rain in ATL. So I left Philly 10:25 am on Sunday and got to VA 1:50pm on interview day. The shuttle took me straight to the interview from the airport, (I got changed in the airport bathroom). The entire faculty and staff at VCOM was very understanding of my situation and accommodated me. I was in shock, everyone was so good about the whole thing, and a few of the staff had prior engagements but the stayed late to interview me and give me a tour. Hope this helped feel free to ask me other questions.

Thanks for the info. That's great that the school was willing to accomodate you. It doesn't surprise me because I have heard so many good things about VCOM. I would have been completely stressed out, good for you that you impressed them and got accepted!!! :D When was your interview and when did you hear about the acceptance? Congrats again. I hope to be in your shoes soon!

That is awesome that you got accepted, it was definately worth all that trouble then. (I was the one sitting next to you when you came in.)

Now I have to decide between some schools... I think I might have to revisit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Founder

It was worth all the trouble. Is VCOM one of the schools you have to decide about? And if it is are you thinking of going to accepted students day? You all were so great that day when I came in late, I feel bad I did not get to actually have conversations with everyone.

Yes. VCOM and a few others school I have to decide about. The problem is, each school (VCOM and WVSOM are the two I am conflicted about) are both such great schools with great people and faculty. It is going to be a really tough decision to figure out which one to go to.

I like the facilities and the new building and technology at VCOM and their association with Tech research is great as well. And I have only heard positives about faculty.

WVSOM is the same, though I did get the impression they are not as big on research as VCOM is getting to be. I haven't decided if I want to attempt to do some research. But they have a very good reputation and I loved Lewisburg when I was down there. I like the small town feel of... small towns. Tech has 25,000 students! It was a tad overwhelming.

It's going to be tough.

Congrats Gonabado! :D
Okay guys, I'm making travel arrangements for my interview on the 21st. Where did you all stay? I saw that Comfort Inn offers transportation from/to the airport/school. Did anyone stay here, and if so, do you recommend it? I'm just looking for somewhere quiet and relaxing. Any advice on where to stay, interviewing, things to do and see in Blacksburg and really anything else would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

I stayed at the Comfort Inn. They picked me up from the airport, dropped me off and picked me up from the interview, gave me a tour of Christiansburg, then dropped me off at the airport (and even offered to drop me off at the mall since I had a 6 hour wait at the airport). They were really nice. The manager is cool-

Hi all,

I was hoping to get your insight on VCOM vs. PCOM.

Pros and Cons, I am making a list.
Also, does anyone know if the VCOM and PCOM deposits are refundable and if the PCOM deposit is put towards Tuition?

Thanks in advance.

Well, We finally got the information we've been waiting for and its an impressive list! The preliminary 2007 Match List has been released (keep in mind, allopathic match results have yet to be determined)...

"After much waiting and anticipation, VCOM is extremely excited to announce our internship and residency match positions for the Class of 2007! As you will see, they are very impressive. This will be updated shortly after March 15 with results from the NRMP (aka: the allopathic match).

Some additional interesting facts are:

1) 92% of VCOM students who entered the osteopathic match received their FIRST choice (compared to 87% nationally)

2) 56% of VCOM students matched in the military or osteopathic match (compared to 47% nationally) so we will likely end up with more students in osteopathic programs than the national pool of DO graduates

3) 26% of VCOM students who we have data on plan to purse Family Medicine; 15% plan to pursue IM; 14% EM; 7% OB/Gyn per our preliminary results. While these rates will change when all placements are in, these are above the national placements date-to-date for these primary care areas.

4) A more defined breakdown of specialty choices will be available after the NRMP but take a look at the other specialty areas – our students also did very well in obtaining programs in competitive specialties!"

Attachments

• MILITARY LISTING.doc
    47.5 KB · Views: 220
  • MATCHED OSTEOPATHIC 1.doc
    67.5 KB · Views: 482
  • MATCHED OSTEOPATHIC 2.doc
    56.5 KB · Views: 371
Hi all,

I am running around trying to get my stuff together for April 15. If you guys do not mind me asking, did anyone get a good health and life insurance plan:confused:. I would hate to rush and get something that is too expensive or does not provide me with quality health coverage?

Hi all,

I am running around trying to get my stuff together for April 15. If you guys do not mind me asking, did anyone get a good health and life insurance plan:confused:. I would hate to rush and get something that is too expensive or does not provide me with quality health coverage?

I am in the process of looking right now too. I will try and update you with what I find. Good luck.

Hey Guys,

Im a 4th year and have a house for sale in Christiansburg. nice quiet area. Payments would be around 1200/month....so 600 if you had a roomie! Good investment!

here is the link
http://www.forsalebyowner.com/20785548

Best of Luck next year!!

Hey Samkel!
Yeah, it's a little late in the cycle, but I think that we will get in. VCOM seems like a great school, at least from talking to Megan. I have the same date as you we should definitely be in touch! I am more excited than nervous, but I will probably start getting really nervous when the day approaches. Is this your top choice? Are you going to be there on the 20th? I intend to attend one of the lectures before the interview.

Yeah, I just got my call for an interview today..VCOM is my first choice:love:
Guess we will be interviewing together on the 21st...:thumbup:

Yeah, I just got my call for an interview today..VCOM is my first choice:love:
Guess we will be interviewing together on the 21st...:thumbup:

Congrats!!! :D We should be in touch ahead of time. Maybe we can give each other pointers! I'm going to attend a class on the day before the interview just to see what it's like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Hey, I've done a little research and decided to get my Health Coverage through the SOMA Program. They offer osteopathic students good coverage (Under Plan 1) for a decent amount/mo. ($126). You can also add dental ($38/mo.) or vision ($16/mo.) to the plan if you wish. Their website is http://somainsurance.com/index.html

As far as life insurance, my roommates father is taking care of that for me, and if you're interested I can pass along his information.

Andrew.

Hey guys, just wanted to give you some insight about the apartments right across the street from the school after spending 7 months in one.

Pros:
Convienant

Cons:
WAYYY overpriced
Cheaply made (floors loud, air leaks)
Horrible AND expensive cable/internet company (and that's the ONLY one you can get thanks to CMG being in bed with the company. Trust me, you don't know how much you miss quality cable until your internet goes down for two days like it did for me last weekend. This has happened multiple times.)
Really high electric bill for apartments of comparable size (possibly due to poor insulation/leaky windows and doors?)
Management is not helpful and quite rude ONCE you sign the lease (they're all smiles till then)
Really expensive to keep a pet
Required lease renewal three months into the lease

With all of this said, I like living here because it IS so convienant. I can hear the person above me like he's in the same room and my neighbor downstairs said it was like an earthquake when a 35 lb dog was in my apartment.

Once again, I love the convienance:). Don't expect luxury like they try to tell you though, the apartments are only a few years old and they're junk.

Now, if you're like me and still want to live here, personal message me. If I refer you I get $100 and I'll give you half of that ($50 for those math majors).

Thanks DDrewJMU,

I am researching the insurance information from SOMA right now. I found a life insurance policy from Globe life. I appreciate your help; it is just good to know that I am on the right track.

I will be joining you guys for the class 2011. I sent my deposit yesterday. I got accepted to WVSOM, VCOM, and Pikeville. I finally decided to choose VCOM and I dont know why, but I did. All three schools were good, but it was down to two: WVSOM and VCOM.

WVSOM is way expensive since I am out of state and I dont like the roads there. They are dangerous and only one lane roads. But everything else is great about WVSOM. I really liked their patient simulators, which I dont think VCOM has.

VCOM is ok as well. The facility, professors and everything else is great.
I just went to VCOM b/c of the OK price, nearby my sect of church, and that was about it.

I just dont know if i made the right decision. I really like WVSOM, but VCOM as well. I couldnt compare.

Anyway, I will see you guys there and I am completely excited to meet you all.

Hello everybody, I am looking to rent a place near vcom either in blacksburg or christianburg, maybe a room in an apartment or townhome. Anybody renting a place or looking for roommates?

Hello everybody, I am looking to rent a place near vcom either in blacksburg or christianburg, maybe a room in an apartment or townhome. Anybody renting a place or looking for roommates?

I think most of us are looking for roommates! I will be needing two...

I'm be buying a 3 bedroom/2.5 bath place in Christiansburg. Everyone will have keys to thier rooms for privacy. No pets. I'm clean and can cook :D

looking for roommates and/or a place to live. i am hoping that there will be an opportunity for us to discuss all of this march 31.

Hey guys!!

I have been reading this forum for months..I had my interview yesterday and loved Vcom and the town!!

I got the call today and I am in..:thumbup:

Soo excited and will definetly be there this fall...yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Can't wait to meet you all.

Exigente

Hey guys!!

I have been reading this forum for months..I had my interview yesterday and loved Vcom and the town!!

I got the call today and I am in..:thumbup:

Soo excited and will definetly be there this fall...yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Can't wait to meet you all.

Exigente

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D I know you must be excited! I called and am on the waitlist :( but at least it's not a rejection. Hopefully some seats will open up. It was nice meeting you all yesterday, and I hope to see you all in the Fall as well. :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D I know you must be excited! I called and am on the waitlist :( but at least it's not a rejection. Hopefully some seats will open up. It was nice meeting you all yesterday, and I hope to see you all in the Fall as well. :)

Thanks Sam! It was nice meeting you too..I bet you will get in and start this fall 2007!

Exigente:luck:

Got an e-mail this morning saying that I've been put on the waiting list. Any idea how much movement there is on the waiting list generally? Or... how long it might take to find out the final decision?

Thanks! And congrats to everyone who got in!!!:thumbup:

For all who are attending the ASD... Where is everyone planning on staying fri/sat night? Anyone staying with any current students?

I'm trying to get in touch with a couple people currently at VCOM. I think it would be great to get to know the students and learn more about the program. People from the class of '10 are going to be at TOTS (Top of the Stairs) Sat. evening for a couple drinks so I think we should all get together that night.

Aww man..I won't be able to got to ASD..:( Have lots of fun and tell me about it next week..

Can't wait to meet you all in the fall..

Exigente:love:

Hey Class of 2011! The Class of 2010 is planning a social gathering for you after Accepted Students Day at one of the bars in downtown Blacksburg. Drink specials starting at 8pm with no cover charge until 9pm!

Our class will be running some carpools from VCOM to TOTS and will be providing DDs as well. Thought you might like a heads up! More info to come, probably on Saturday!

See you guys this weekend! :)

Hey guys, if anyone needs a place to stay for accepted students day, my door is open, I live right across the street from the school. I have an extra bedroom and a queen sized bed in it. I'll even give you the other key so you can come and go as you please. The only requirement is a promise to drink a few at TOTS that night with the rest of us. Should be a good time.

First one to respond gets the nod.

Jonathan

hi vcom class of 2011. i got a call from megan price for an interview on the 3rd of april am so excited but am scared that its a bit late for acceptance. does anyone have any interview tips? and i also heard all the spots r filled up already is that true? hopefully ill be joing u all soon

Hey first of all...wanted to say congrats to class of 2011! i've had the best time here so far and have met awesome people...all of ya'll will too!:D

Beautiful townhome available starting August 2007. Details: $760 each month whereas Maple Ridge is charging $800 and up now; 2 bedrooms 1 1/2 bath, washer/dryer, tons of parking, just built about 5 years ago---brand new still, gym in clubhouse, Tons of VCOM students live here---so quiet!!, 7 miles from school---so close. I really love living here---but I’m moving because I'm living in a house with VCOM students for next year! I already signed the lease to this place so that is why I still get to keep my cheaper rent for next year! This is seriously a great deal guys!! Please contact me (Tanya) for more information and photos by e-mail at [email protected] or phone at (843) 263-1078 :)

one last thing.....i'll be showing my place as part of accepted students day from 2-5. come on by!!! have a great time on saturday...and come out to TOTS on saturday night for some FUN :laugh:

If any of you are still looking for a place I know of someone in the class of 2010 that needs a roommate. She lives in a brand new very nice apartment/townhouse. I do not know the specifics but if you send me PM I will put you in contact with her.

Hey guys,

I am a current MSI at VCOM and am looking for a female roommate starting in mid-July. I have a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment right across the street from VCOM in The Crossing at Knollwood. PM me or drop me an e-mail at [email protected] for more information. :)

Can anyone that went to ASD tell us how it went? How was the class of 2011 and TOT?

Thanx

i wanna know how it went too??? was it fun!!!!! did u get to meet the faculty?

Hey classmates!

Accepted Students Day was nice. We did not meet the faculty but it was good seeing some of the students we will be going to school with in the Fall. We met some of the 2010 students and learned a little of what to expect when school starts. The financial Aid presentation wasn't too interesting haha. My favorite part was the student panel and OMM demonstration, they were great. I guess the next time i'll be up there will be Aug 4 when I move in. See everyone at orientation Aug 15!

Hey '11ers. The ASD was really a great time. The administration and class of 2010 were extremely helpful answering questions and offering advice for incoming students. I think all of us were impressed with the school once again and are even more excited to start class in August! We asked a lot of questions to the current students, so if anyone has any questions about curriculum, OMM, student life, etc. please post them on the site and those of us who were there can share what we learned.

(For those of you who are not on Facebook.com I would recommend setting up a free account and joining our VCOM - Class of 2011 Group. Its really easy and a great way to keep in touch with people from our class. I like it a little better than the SDN forum so you should check it out.)

Here's the link: VCOM - Class of 2011 Facebook Group

Here is another housing opp for those in the markert to buy. Most in my class have seen a nice return on their investment. see the attached flyer.

Attachments

• tilleyhome.pdf
    229.1 KB · Views: 154
so i dont know when to start looking for housing???? Is May too late??? I mostly want an apartment for myself, no pets, and I want a price range of 400 to 550 per month in a quiet area that is close to the school. Where do you guys recommend to look at?

If any of the 2009 or 2010 class have a spot for me that fits the above criteria, please PM me.

I appreciate your feedback.

so i dont know when to start looking for housing???? Is May too late??? I mostly want an apartment for myself, no pets, and I want a price range of 400 to 550 per month in a quiet area that is close to the school. Where do you guys recommend to look at?

If any of the 2009 or 2010 class have a spot for me that fits the above criteria, please PM me.

I appreciate your feedback.

Hey Simpleman,
Here is a website that has helped me out alot in regards to housing..happy hunting..http://www.apt-guide.com/nrv/frameset.html

Exigente

bumpity bump..wondering where everyone is? Kinda quiet..:eek:

So I found out today that I was accepted to my state allopathic school today and I will be going. I really loved VCOM, but at the end of the day cheap tuition wins in the end. I'll be calling VCOM tomorrow to withdraw my acceptance so I hope one of you guys on the waitlist gets it. I wish you all the best. You've been some of the most helpful people I've been associated with. Good luck. :luck:

Greg Harris

:luck: Sorry to hear that we are losing you, but ECU is a good school too and super cheap..good luck..

Hey out there:) I have been on the altenate list for VCOM since early December:( I have done everything requested, does anyone understand the difference between waitlist and alternate list?

So I found out today that I was accepted to my state allopathic school today and I will be going. I really loved VCOM, but at the end of the day cheap tuition wins in the end. I'll be calling VCOM tomorrow to withdraw my acceptance so I hope one of you guys on the waitlist gets it. I wish you all the best. You've been some of the most helpful people I've been associated with. Good luck. :luck:

Greg Harris
Way to go and best of luck

hi vcom class of 2011. i got a call from megan price for an interview on the 3rd of april am so excited but am scared that its a bit late for acceptance. does anyone have any interview tips? and i also heard all the spots r filled up already is that true? hopefully ill be joing u all soon
Hey you! Just wondered how your interview went?

For those of you that attended accepted students day would you mind telling me about the curriculum? I was told that it is changing a little bit.
Thanks a bunch!