VCOM Class of 2011!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
haha well congrats and welcome to the thread! You werent dreaming all the many years of studying and hard work paid off. I just got back from blacksburg...looking for apartments. I tried to go early because I want a one bedroom and they go quick. I'm thinking The Crossing or Hethwood.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I am new to SDN, but I just wanted to share with all of you that I just got into VCOM. Hope to meet you guys soon!

Hey guys! I made a myspace group for us too- since some of us don't use facebook as much. Yes- I copied you Andrew. I literally do nothing all day at work- I hate my job- but I'm sure I'll be missing it when school starts back up!

Here it is: http://groups.myspace.com/VCOM2011

Members don't see this ad :)
haha well congrats and welcome to the thread! You werent dreaming all the many years of studying and hard work paid off. I just got back from blacksburg...looking for apartments. I tried to go early because I want a one bedroom and they go quick. I'm thinking The Crossing or Hethwood.

how did the apartment search go? just curious because i am thinking a one bedroom would be best for me also...can you let me know the price ranges that you found? i am gonna go to blacksburg soon to look around as well. i had such little time when i was there.

Hey,

My apartment search went very well. If you are looking for a 1 bdrm look NOW most places dont have many 1 bedrooms to begin with and some residents resign their lease and that makes less available. I decided to stay at the crossing at knollwood. I also liked foxridge. Foxridge has different graduate/professional housing starting at 619/mo and up from there. I was planning on staying at Fox Croft 619-644/mo. The crossing for me is 675/mo but I chose it because of its location right next to campus the upgraded style with washer and dryer included. When I looked for apartments there were cheaper apartments, actually most of the apartments are cheaper than crossing but it works for me. Cedarfield and terrace view were decent too. Have fun looking.

Rent estimates of apts I went to:

Cedarfield did not have any one bedrooms but I was thinking about renting out a two bedroom for myself and making the extra room a study room/office/guest room 700-710/mo

Chasewood I looked at the Belmont 550-580/mo

Foxridge I looked at Fox Croft graduate/professional 619/mo first floor 644/mo second and third and to get a new upgraded apartment will be $30 extra/month

Terrace View has plenty of one bedrooms and one bedrooms with a den. These are anywhere from $500-600 depending on which section you live in and if you prefer a den or not.

I'm not sure if they have any one bdrms left at the crossing but theyre 675/mo first and second floor

Lastly Windsor Hills has a den option as well 619 without 649 with (This one I got from last years apt guide)

Have fun looking for apts

Hi All.

I love VCOM especially their medical mission program. However I have been accepted to PCOM too which is a great institution as well. I am a city girl but I can sacrafice 4 years. I am so confused as to what to do?

Does anyone know how the 4th years placed for their residency match (DO and MD). I am not sure if I want to do primary care or specialty but I was just curious as to where people are going (location and hospitals).

Also does anyone know how the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations are? How do people like the sites (NJ, VA, NC sites)? How much rural medicine vs specialized medicine do you get exposure too?

Thanks for your input.

How fast did you all hear back from VCOM?

Hi All.

I love VCOM especially their medical mission program. However I have been accepted to PCOM too which is a great institution as well. I am a city girl but I can sacrafice 4 years. I am so confused as to what to do?

Does anyone know how the 4th years placed for their residency match (DO and MD). I am not sure if I want to do primary care or specialty but I was just curious as to where people are going (location and hospitals).

Also does anyone know how the 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations are? How do people like the sites (NJ, VA, NC sites)? How much rural medicine vs specialized medicine do you get exposure too?

Thanks for your input.

Considering the only match so far has been the military match and non-NRMP (I think), we have no idea where our 4th years placed. Though, the osteopathic match is tomorrow, so maybe we'll hear something soon regarding those that went with osteopathic programs. You'll have to wait a while longer to get complete match results (allopathic match is not released until 3rd week of March).

Regarding your second group of questions, I'll wait for someone from the classes ahead of me to answer (and AmyB will be jumping on here in 5...4...3...2...1...). We have one month of our third year (so, one out of a total of eighteen) that is specifically rural primary care. The others may also be fairly rural, depending on what region you got. I doubt the people rotating with UMDNJ or in Roanoke are getting as much rural medicine as those in Abingdon or Bluefield. I believe this is posted elsewhere on SDN, but we spend nine months in third year on: Family Medicine, rural primary care, OB/Gyn, Pediatrics, Internal Medicine, Geriatrics, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, and Psychiatry. Fourth year is composed of 3 medical selectives, 2 surgical selectives, and 4 electives. These months can be done at any VCOM affiliated sites, sites with an AOA-approved residency (2 selectives), or anywhere else (4 electives). If that last sentence confused you, I mean that you can spend up to six months of fourth year outside of the area, so long as two of them are at sites with AOA-approved residencies. And, yes, you can do months of CT surgery, neurosurgery, infectious disease, dermatology, etc in your fourth year.

Hey,

My apartment search went very well. If you are looking for a 1 bdrm look NOW most places dont have many 1 bedrooms to begin with and some residents resign their lease and that makes less available. I decided to stay at the crossing at knollwood. I also liked foxridge. Foxridge has different graduate/professional housing starting at 619/mo and up from there. I was planning on staying at Fox Croft 619-644/mo. The crossing for me is 675/mo but I chose it because of its location right next to campus the upgraded style with washer and dryer included. When I looked for apartments there were cheaper apartments, actually most of the apartments are cheaper than crossing but it works for me. Cedarfield and terrace view were decent too. Have fun looking.

Rent estimates of apts I went to:

Cedarfield did not have any one bedrooms but I was thinking about renting out a two bedroom for myself and making the extra room a study room/office/guest room 700-710/mo

Chasewood I looked at the Belmont 550-580/mo

Foxridge I looked at Fox Croft graduate/professional 619/mo first floor 644/mo second and third and to get a new upgraded apartment will be $30 extra/month

Terrace View has plenty of one bedrooms and one bedrooms with a den. These are anywhere from $500-600 depending on which section you live in and if you prefer a den or not.

I'm not sure if they have any one bdrms left at the crossing but theyre 675/mo first and second floor

Lastly Windsor Hills has a den option as well 619 without 649 with (This one I got from last years apt guide)

Have fun looking for apts

hey..thanks for taking the time to answer this. sounds like you are set and ready to go...hopefully i will have good luck too.

Is anyone going to this? Any upper classmen have advice on this day? what to expect, etc...

AmyB is a bit tied up. But usually she would be all over any question you all have. The rotations are good. They really depend on who your preceptors or residents are (as any rotation experience would I suppose). Not knowing anything about PCOM, other than it has surgery residencies, I would make the decision between VCOM and PCOM based on what fields of medicine you are interested in. It's ok if you don't know what field you want to do and I'm sure you will change your mind 50 times. If you want to do primary care (FP, IM, Peds, ER, OB/GYN, Geriatrics, etc), choose VCOM. If you are possibly interested in surgery then you have decision to make. VCOM's surgery program is very young (but with the new surgery chair, hopefully improving/developing quickly).
As for Accepted Students Day, you should go. It's your first opportunity to meet your classmates and gives you a chance to go apartment hunting. VCOM usually has a few financial aid programs.

Accepted student day is boring but it gives you a chance to see your classmates for the first time. Also, You have to attend one out of the two finaincial aid lectures offered, so it is better to get it over with during accepted students day.

i think i will be attending the accepted students day. it will be nice to meet some people before august. i need to look for apartments anyway. can anyone speak to the specifics of the day (does it last all day, etc) other than the financial aid presentation, do they offer any kind of list of people looking for roommates, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if VCOM is still sending interview invites? I finally got the green light to send my secondary. Sent it today but I am afraid it is too late.:(

i think i will be attending the accepted students day. it will be nice to meet some people before august. i need to look for apartments anyway. can anyone speak to the specifics of the day (does it last all day, etc) other than the financial aid presentation, do they offer any kind of list of people looking for roommates, etc.?

When is accepted students day?..(hoping I get to attend)..:thumbup:

When I got home from school tonight, I had a voice mail from someone at VCOM. I couldn't quite make out the name. Sounded like B Jones??? I was complete on 2/14, and got an email saying I would get a phone call if I were selected for interview. I'm REALLY hoping that's what the voice mail was for, but the person (female) said to call back as soon as possible to talk about my application. I'm going to be dying to have to wait until morning to call back. :scared: Does anyone know if this is good news- they don't call to reject you, do they? Also if anyone can help me with the name of this person, I would really appreciate it. I will feel dumb calling back and asking for the wrong person. Thanks so much in advance and congrats to all who have already been accepted! :)

Probably was Bea Jones. I don't believe VCOM is usually in the practice of rejecting applicants via phone (too direct). You never know, though, there's a first time for everything. Ok, enough giving you a hard time; back to studying

When I got home from school tonight, I had a voice mail from someone at VCOM. I couldn't quite make out the name. Sounded like B Jones??? I was complete on 2/14, and got an email saying I would get a phone call if I were selected for interview. I'm REALLY hoping that's what the voice mail was for, but the person (female) said to call back as soon as possible to talk about my application. I'm going to be dying to have to wait until morning to call back. :scared: Does anyone know if this is good news- they don't call to reject you, do they? Also if anyone can help me with the name of this person, I would really appreciate it. I will feel dumb calling back and asking for the wrong person. Thanks so much in advance and congrats to all who have already been accepted! :)

i would think this is a positive sign. i have never heard of anyone calling to reject anybody under any circumstances. it is probably for an interview. good luck. interview day really is very laid back...it was bea jones btw.

With my luck it may be the very first time that VCOM has personally called someone to reject them! ;) I'll just have to hope for good news until the morning. I'm really excited at the prospect of interviewing at VCOM. I've heard very good things about the program.

I bet its good news....:D Good luck to you let us know what happens

With my luck it may be the very first time that VCOM has personally called someone to reject them! ;) I'll just have to hope for good news until the morning. I'm really excited at the prospect of interviewing at VCOM. I've heard very good things about the program.

if you have any quesitons regarding the interview or anything else, i would be glad to help you out in any way. i am VCOM bound this fall and i am very excited about it. just PM me if you want.

good luck.

if you have any quesitons regarding the interview or anything else, i would be glad to help you out in any way. i am VCOM bound this fall and i am very excited about it. just PM me if you want.

good luck.

Thanks everyone. Just spoke with Bea Jones (everyone at VCOM is so nice), and it is an interview!!! :D The first available date is March 21st. I wish it was sooner, but I'm not complaining! Thank you very much dctrgreen, I will take you up on the offer to answer questions when it gets closer to March! I can't wait... I still can't believe it! :)

OK, so I've been looking at the interview feedback, and it seems like last year the class was full by March or sometime in March. Anyone know how many spots are left and if I will have a realistic chance of getting in with such a late interview?

OK, so I've been looking at the interview feedback, and it seems like last year the class was full by March or sometime in March. Anyone know how many spots are left and if I will have a realistic chance of getting in with such a late interview?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I didn't interview until the 3rd week in April (2 years ago), and was offered a spot. I was told that they save a few spots each year for people who apply late.

On the downside, they've had tons of applications this year (I've heard b/t 2400-3000), so they probably have filled many of their spots. The good news is that not everyone who is accepted will end up here (even the ones that pay their $1000 and have reserved their spot). So, if you aren't accepted outright, there's still a chance of getting in after being waitlisted. But don't worry about that stuff now. Just go to your interview and shine.

does VCOM even waitlist after interviews? I got rejected straight out. Is this a bad sign that I shouldnt apply again?

Does anyone know of any other airports that I can fly into besides Roanoke? It's almost $400 to fly there. Isn't there one is KY?

does VCOM even waitlist after interviews? I got rejected straight out. Is this a bad sign that I shouldnt apply again?

Yes, they do waitlist (at least they did when I interviewed). I'm not sure how extensive a list it is though.

If you interested in VCOM, you should definately apply again (and early). If there's anything you can do to buff up your application, do it in the meantime (I wouldn't recommend taking the MCAT again unless your scores were well below avg., b/c VCOM doesn't really factor the MCAT into decision making).

Does anyone know of any other airports that I can fly into besides Roanoke? It's almost $400 to fly there. Isn't there one is KY?

Got these from Google Maps. For nearest airports, you're looking at Roanoke (VA), Richmond (VA), Asheville (NC), Greensboro (NC), Raleigh-Durham (NC), Charlotte (NC), or Blountville (TN). Greensboro is only about a two hour drive from Blacksburg, same with Blountville (near Johnson City), Richmond 3-4 hours, Charlotte about 4 hours. When I've looked up flights before, I found that I saved a decent bit of time and money to fly out of/into Charlotte, NC (4hr drive vs 8hr layover for connecting flight to Roanoke).

Awesome- thanks. I tried the google thing, but I don't know the area well enough... it kept showing me little airports where Cessna's fly into.

My deadline to have everything in (immunizations, transcripts, insurance info etc) is March 1. Has anyone ever asked for an extension and get it? I wont have my hep B series completed by then so I had to write a letter to the registrar to extend the date. All my others materials are sent off. Hopefully I get good news from them.

You can fly into Charleston , WV or Winston Salem/Greensboro, NC. If I fly outof here I always drive down to NC to save money. It is roughly 2.5 hours away. WV is about 3 hours away.

My deadline to have everything in (immunizations, transcripts, insurance info etc) is March 1. Has anyone ever asked for an extension and get it? I wont have my hep B series completed by then so I had to write a letter to the registrar to extend the date. All my others materials are sent off. Hopefully I get good news from them.

I had to ask for an extension last year. My hep B series didn't take the first time, and I had to redo them. The registrar's office was really cool about it. Just make sure you contact them early. :)

Just send them what you have, and inform them that you are still undergoing your HepB series. They'll put it aside and not look at your records until you start ECEs in second year, anyway. Several of my classmates had to redo their MMR or HepB since their records showed low titers (and no one checked until last month).

Hey future classmates!

I need your help! I can not make up my mind on whether I should go to VCOM or LECOM. Anyone have any input? I am currently going to the Post Bacc program at LECOM, and LECOM is closer to my home by three hours..........but I was really impressed with VCOM when I went for the interview, and maybe it is time for me to explore out of Pennsylvania. I am really torn!

sorry had to delete it

Last edited:
Anyone know if VCOM is still sending interview invites? I finally got the green light to send my secondary. Sent it today but I am afraid it is too late.:(

I just got a call last week from Bea Jones about my interview which is in three weeks. They are pretty quick about it once they get all your stuff..on average 4 days to review!

I just got a call last week from Bea Jones about my interview which is in three weeks. They are pretty quick about it once they get all your stuff..on average 4 days to review!

Hi ZimDoctor,
I got the call last week too! I was complete on 2/15 and got the call on 2/19, so it was exactly a 4 day turn around. What day will you be there? My interview is scheduled for 3/21. I'm very excited, but also very nervous because it's so late in the cycle. I hope we still have a good chance of getting in! Good luck. :luck:
Samantha

Do y'all know if any of these housing places allow pets (specifically a 90-lb German Shepherd) and if so, any stipulations attached to the lease?

I'm going to be renting... If your dog is trained and they other roommate doesn't mind dogs, then I won't mind so much- I have two, but they aren't really potty trained too well- I wish I could bring them.

Hi ZimDoctor,
I got the call last week too! I was complete on 2/15 and got the call on 2/19, so it was exactly a 4 day turn around. What day will you be there? My interview is scheduled for 3/21. I'm very excited, but also very nervous because it's so late in the cycle. I hope we still have a good chance of getting in! Good luck. :luck:
Samantha

Hey Samkel!
Yeah, it's a little late in the cycle, but I think that we will get in. VCOM seems like a great school, at least from talking to Megan. I have the same date as you we should definitely be in touch! I am more excited than nervous, but I will probably start getting really nervous when the day approaches. Is this your top choice? Are you going to be there on the 20th? I intend to attend one of the lectures before the interview.

http://www.vcomstudent.com/

most of you probably have already seen this, but for any of you guys who haven't, there is a lot of information on the clubs at VCOM, student life, forums, etc.

later~

jason

Hey Everyone,

Who is still looking for roommates? I've seen a few places that are available and talked to a couple people about getting together on an apt. and we've kinda been in limbo for a couple weeks. I'd like to get something set up before the accepted students day so we can lock in a good place. I have pics of the places i've visited so send me a PM and i'll get back in touch.

Andrew.

Hi everyone, I got into VCOM I got the email today!!! I can't wait to meet you all. Congrats to everyone who got in.

Congrats Gonabado! :D
Okay guys, I'm making travel arrangements for my interview on the 21st. Where did you all stay? I saw that Comfort Inn offers transportation from/to the airport/school. Did anyone stay here, and if so, do you recommend it? I'm just looking for somewhere quiet and relaxing. Any advice on where to stay, interviewing, things to do and see in Blacksburg and really anything else would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

Hey Drew

Are these places close to campus? Will probably not have a car for the first semester or year. I'll need a walking distance place. Hope you can help!

Chao

Hey Drew

Are these places close to campus? Will probably not have a car for the first semester or year. I'll need a walking distance place. Hope you can help!

Chao

Hey Zim,
The one apartment is only about a mile away from VCOM (I'd recommend a bike ride instead of a walk since it's a little "hilly"), but i'll have my car and wouldn't mind driving whenever we needed. The places across the road from VCOM (knollwood) are right there, but more expensive.

Congrats Gonabado! :D
Okay guys, I'm making travel arrangements for my interview on the 21st. Where did you all stay? I saw that Comfort Inn offers transportation from/to the airport/school. Did anyone stay here, and if so, do you recommend it? I'm just looking for somewhere quiet and relaxing. Any advice on where to stay, interviewing, things to do and see in Blacksburg and really anything else would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. :)

I would suggest Microtel Inn. I never heard of Microtel before I stayed there but I was happy with my stay. Its $50 for a single with continental breakfast included and free wireless in each room. http://www.microtelinn.com/. Its 2-5 mins from vcom.

Drew

Thanks for this infor. I will be interested in living there if this works out. What are the details of this place?