VCOM Class of 2011!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ummmmm........kinda quiet quys??? nothing much going on? I didnt receive my award letter, are any of u in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad.

ok this question is directed to the class of 2010 or anyone who can answer it...hopefully some of them read these posts....

Do we have to purchase all the required books for each class? Did you have notes from the classroom? Were those notes sufficient for you to pass and do well in the class?

Also, are there any study guides do you guys recommend? If so, what have you used?

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

ok this question is directed to the class of 2010 or anyone who can answer it...hopefully some of them read these posts....

Do we have to purchase all the required books for each class? Did you have notes from the classroom? Were those notes sufficient for you to pass and do well in the class?

Also, are there any study guides do you guys recommend? If so, what have you used?

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

You don't have to buy all the books. In fact, you'll probably only use a few of them. Powerpoints are given for each class prior to the lecture. For most classes, the lecture notes are sufficient to do well on the exams. I'd recommend some other book (BRS for Physio and Path, as well as Goljan for Path) to supplement. Netter and Moore are useful for Anatomy, and Robbins/Baby Robbins for Path. The Pharm text is pretty good, usually supplement it with Lippincott's illustrated review. Other than that, I remember flipping through some parts of Guyton for Physio, and that's about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
ummmmm........kinda quiet quys??? nothing much going on? I didnt receive my award letter, are any of u in the same situation?

i got mine last week. i think i was accepted a little earlier than you so that may be an indication that they are going in order??? not sure though. you will get it soon. dont worry, because they are still in the process of reviewing the available lenders, so even though i have my award letter, i am just waiting on their list of acceptable lenders. you are not getting behind. it has been a game of hurry up and wait so far. all i was able to do was fill out VCOM's required form and mail it back. you will be ok.

later~

I have been stalking the mail man..and nothing here yet either..perhaps they are going in order of acceptance..:confused:

I didnt get mine yet either.. .I just emailed the financial aid person though... maybe I can get some insight.

I got an email on the friday the letters started going out and I got my letter the next Mon. Loans Loans Loans I cant wait to get information about our schedule and breaks. Like someone said earlier I need to plan a vacation :)

I am in the class of 2010 and I heard a little bit about the curriculum change for your class. From what I understand Block 1 for you guys will be pretty much the same as for our class. They always change a couple of little things for each class to make things better. For us that block included the basic sciences and it was 13 weeks long and then we had 2 weeks off over the Thanksgiving holiday. The next break we got was 1 week over Christmas. From what I hear you guys are changing to a "true" systems based curriculum. I am sure that they will send out the details to you guys soon. Do not expect to get your schedule for the whole year though. You will only get one block at a time and sometime near the end of block 1 I think they sent out a list of the scheduled breaks. Congrats to all of you for being in the VCOM class of 2011!! Enjoy the rest of your summer and I look forward to meeting you in Aug.

thank you so much cyclegirl. i appreciate the info. It is definitely exciting to know the class schedule. Hopefully, we all will hear something this coming week. thanks!

I am in the class of 2010 and I heard a little bit about the curriculum change for your class. From what I understand Block 1 for you guys will be pretty much the same as for our class. They always change a couple of little things for each class to make things better. For us that block included the basic sciences and it was 13 weeks long and then we had 2 weeks off over the Thanksgiving holiday. The next break we got was 1 week over Christmas. From what I hear you guys are changing to a "true" systems based curriculum. I am sure that they will send out the details to you guys soon. Do not expect to get your schedule for the whole year though. You will only get one block at a time and sometime near the end of block 1 I think they sent out a list of the scheduled breaks. Congrats to all of you for being in the VCOM class of 2011!! Enjoy the rest of your summer and I look forward to meeting you in Aug.

Can you elaborate on the "true" system based curriculum and compare/contrast to the curriculum for your class? Do you see any major advantages and do you see it as an improvement? Thanks for the input.

I would love to elaborate but I have only heard about the curriculum change from one faculty source so I can not verify that I am 100% correct. In general in a true systems based curriculum you will only study one system per block and in that block you will learn the physiology, path, pharm, histo... all in that block. For example, if you were in your cardio block you would learn all that goes along with cardio at the same time. The curriculum VCOM uses right now is a version of that. We still have the blocks divided up into systems (block 3 was musculoskeletal, block 4 was nuero, block 5 is cardio/pulmonary/GI) but we only learn the anatomy, physio, histo as the core subjects. We will then see every system again 2nd year where we will get the path and pharm. This way there is a little more repetition because we see things multiple times. I like our current system but I know of people that like a true systems based learning curriculum too.

Disclaimer: Take what I said with grain salt because I could be wrong. VCOM will send out the details as soon as they have them.

First of all, let me congratulate the new class...i look forward to meeting all of you guys pretty soon. I wanted to pass along some fun info our class (2010) found out about today. As you will find out, Blocks 3 and 4 are the toughest blocks in the first year; some will find them easier than others, but generally, that is where students struggle. The up side to that is one of the professors is excellent, she teaches some of block 3 and all of block 4 (neuroanatomy) and is brilliant. She also dissects the model cadaver with textbook precision. Really, I think the majority of our class would have her teach every class, she's that good! Well, all this to say that she will be starting medical school next year...in your class.:laugh: Hopefully VCOM will find someone as good as her to teach neuro, otherwise, just get her to tutor you!

anybody heard anything from VCOM yet as far as the preferred lender list? i got the initial papers from fin. aid and mailed them back in. have not heard anything since and have received no emails, etc.

i am sure they are still working on it, but i am a little paranoid seeing as how without FA i will be working at Mcdonalds next year instead of starting medical school.

take care~

Members don't see this ad :)
The lenders are now posted on the VCOM website. I think they also sent an e-mail out about it this morning.

First of all, let me congratulate the new class...i look forward to meeting all of you guys pretty soon. I wanted to pass along some fun info our class (2010) found out about today. As you will find out, Blocks 3 and 4 are the toughest blocks in the first year; some will find them easier than others, but generally, that is where students struggle. The up side to that is one of the professors is excellent, she teaches some of block 3 and all of block 4 (neuroanatomy) and is brilliant. She also dissects the model cadaver with textbook precision. Really, I think the majority of our class would have her teach every class, she's that good! Well, all this to say that she will be starting medical school next year...in your class.:laugh: Hopefully VCOM will find someone as good as her to teach neuro, otherwise, just get her to tutor you!

Yeah, when I heard that, I wondered if they'd still have Dr McDuffee teach...eventhough she'll technically be a student. Whoever they get to replace her had better be damn good; she knows everything, and was a fantastic teacher. Even better than getting her to tutor you, hope that she's in your anatomy lab group, or at a table near you, so you can pick her brain during dissections.

Yeah, when I heard that, I wondered if they'd still have Dr McDuffee teach...eventhough she'll technically be a student. Whoever they get to replace her had better be damn good; she knows everything, and was a fantastic teacher. Even better than getting her to tutor you, hope that she's in your anatomy lab group, or at a table near you, so you can pick her brain during dissections.

how awesome would that be to get this person in your group. it will be great anyway to have her in our class...very exciting to hear.

The lenders are now posted on the VCOM website. I think they also sent an e-mail out about it this morning.

thanks. i just saw that on my school email. kind of funny that it shows up on the very day i ask about it...

Anyone looking into the VCOM SAL program? Looks good. I'm having a hard time deciding a lender

how awesome would that be to get this person in your group. it will be great anyway to have her in our class...very exciting to hear.

why did she decide to go to med school?? she is already a professor getting a salary? Thats odd. I guess she will be the pioneer of the class.

After all of my research last year I went with THE. I am very happy with them and most of the people I know in the class of 2010 use THE. But this is a very personal decision look into all the options.

why did she decide to go to med school?? she is already a professor getting a salary? Thats odd. I guess she will be the pioneer of the class.

I don't think her reasons for starting med school are any different from ours. For those that have worked prior to school, you know that having a job isn't where your life stops, obtaining a salary shouldn't signify that you career is set. Some people want more out of what they do. Some rumors going around are that she will still be teaching some of the second year classes, i guess until she gets there. She's going to be VCOM's poster child...I wouldn't be surprised if she got a 47 on the MCAT; she probably wrote in corrections to get the extra points :laugh:

If anyone still needs a place to live next year, I have a room in the Crossing right across the street for $420/month. PM me.

Secondly, I used The Access Group as my lender, primarily because they sent someone to come talk to us about their loan programs. Their website's great with all of the calculators you need on it. Whoever you choose, you'll still get the green.

Did everyone get their award letter allready?

I didn't yet... I talked with the financial aid guy and he said there are two batches that go out.... we must not have been in the first one. They will be coming out very soon he said.. he told me not to get my panties all up in a bunch.... ok I made that last part up. :hardy:

Anyone looking into the VCOM SAL program? Looks good. I'm having a hard time deciding a lender

I have used www.northstar.org
That is the THEgroup. They have been wonderful. No hidden fees. I have saved a bunch of money compared to a friend who used another company and had to deal with a bunch of fees. I would highly recommend them. You can get all your federal subsidized and graduate PLUS loans from them and do everything online year after year. It saves all your info and it is quite easy.

Amy

thank you Amy B for the information.

Yah, I def didnt receive the award letter, but thats ok.

VCOM is really strict on their health requirements!!! I still have to find a place that gives a meningitis vaccine....cant find one. I live in a small town.

I finished the BLS program today and that was a relieve. My knees hurt though.

I still have too many documents to turn in....its bothering me. oh well.

If anyone wants to move down earlier (July) and needs a place to stay until their place becomes available send me a message for the details.

thank you Amy B for the information.

Yah, I def didnt receive the award letter, but thats ok.

VCOM is really strict on their health requirements!!! I still have to find a place that gives a meningitis vaccine....cant find one. I live in a small town.

I finished the BLS program today and that was a relieve. My knees hurt though.

I still have too many documents to turn in....its bothering me. oh well.

Yeah the health requirements are somewhat stringent.... the secretary has been on my ass for awhile... .I need my meningitis done too... not to mention a tb test and my last hep B shot..... argghhh

i am having a hard time as well. i am thinking of going with the VCOM SAL program. is it only the one page application or am i missing something?

how is your process going?

Yeah the health requirements are somewhat stringent.... the secretary has been on my ass for awhile... .I need my meningitis done too... not to mention a tb test and my last hep B shot..... argghhh

Ugghh..tell me about it..I think I am empty and have no more blood left..:scared:My doctor was even suprised with the amount of things they required..I got all of them done, so I thought..but got a call about the meningitis shot..ewww:thumbdown:. I will get it next week..don't want to be hurt before my show.

i am having a hard time as well. i am thinking of going with the VCOM SAL program. is it only the one page application or am i missing something?

how is your process going?

I went with the VCOM SAL program as well. As far as I know its just the one page application. It seems to be the same as the T.H.E. with a part of the payback going to fund future student grants. That should be the only one that needs 2 be mailed in while the other loan apps can be filled out online.

I went with the VCOM SAL program as well. As far as I know its just the one page application. It seems to be the same as the T.H.E. with a part of the payback going to fund future student grants. That should be the only one that needs 2 be mailed in while the other loan apps can be filled out online.

ok cool. thanks. i think i am going with that one as well.

Hey! I've been browsing the thread for a bit. I'm in the class of 2011, too! Nervous, excited, etc. As far as the meningitis shot, I had to get mine through the health dept. That was the only place I could find it. I think the health depts have to give them, though, because of the number of colleges that are starting to require them.
Hope that helps!
--ah1120

Just got the e-mail that the second batch of award letters have been sent out Friday..so check your mail boxes..they should be here this week!!:D

Just got moved into the top 10... I hope that I still have a chance to get in for this year...:clap::banana:

In the meantime I'll be sending them my paperwork and getting the BLS requirement over with.

Just got moved into the top 10... I hope that I still have a chance to get in for this year...:clap::banana:

In the meantime I'll be sending them my paperwork and getting the BLS requirement over with.

Really hope it works out for you. Good luck!:thumbup:

Keeping you guys up to date with some policy changes at VCOM...today they officially announced a change in the examinations. The way it presently works is we could have up to 2, 3, or even 4 exams every week (usually works out to 1 or 2) with a big finals week at the end of every block. Starting in August, there will only be two weeks per block for exams, one midterm week and one finals week. Just keeping you guys informed.

Keeping you guys up to date with some policy changes at VCOM...today they officially announced a change in the examinations. The way it presently works is we could have up to 2, 3, or even 4 exams every week (usually works out to 1 or 2) with a big finals week at the end of every block. Starting in August, there will only be two weeks per block for exams, one midterm week and one finals week. Just keeping you guys informed.

does this mean that the grade for the course will consist only of a mid-term and a final? any info on the changes in the curriculum for the 2011 class?

thanks.

I do not think they have it all figured out yet. They might throw in a couple of small quizzes but your grade is mostly going to depend on 1 midterm and 1 final. Everyone including the faculty are going to go through an adjustment period with this change. I guess we are the guinea pigs.

I do not think they have it all figured out yet. They might throw in a couple of small quizzes but your grade is mostly going to depend on 1 midterm and 1 final. Everyone including the faculty are going to go through an adjustment period with this change. I guess we are the guinea pigs.

ouch...this puts a little more pressure on everything...does anyone know what brought this change about? just curious as to the rationale behind this..i prefer frequent exams that cover less material than huge exams that cover everything. i guess the new way is more reflective of boards (comprehensive, i.e.) it may have less of an impact on the new class since we wouldn't be used to the other way...good luck to everybody. i am sure it will work out.

Just my opinion, but block 3 wasn't as difficult for me. I liked the tangible structures (something you wont have in block 4).

To respond to the last post, for a large percentage (the majority, even if by a slim margin) of the class, we were in a never ending cram mode. The second years were looked to for input on how to change our testing situation. They felt it was not conducive to learning the subject for understanding. Some of our best students can still make all A's, but not all of them can explain what they have learned (thankfully some still can).

Medical education by systems should allow you to learn the anatomy, phys, histo, genetics, and clinical relevance of the system AT THE SAME TIME. As it is now, we just learn one of them at a time, because we have uber-frequent testing.

that is why

The second years were looked to for input on how to change our testing situation. They felt it was not conducive to learning the subject for understanding.

Say what now?

Maybe one or two second years were consulted, but this was just as much news to us, as it was to you guys. Frankly, I and most other MS2s I've spoken with (admittedly small, n=12), prefer more frequent exams to two exams per class per block. We, however, do agree that having 3+ exams per week sucks, especially when you have them on two consecutive days (with class thrown in there, for good measure). I think the multiple exams forced me to stay current, and thus allowed me to do better than I would otherwise have done. Ah well, I'll be out of this big grey box in another month, so will not have to worry about any of that stuff. Best of luck to you all.

regarding the new exam style, i think for the most part it will stink, but whatever they impose on us, we will have to deal with one way or another.

But what I want to know is my class schedule. I am so eager to know what courses will we take and the class times!!!! VCOM promised to tell us this information soon, but we havent heard anything from them......

You will never get your block schedule this far in advance. You will most likely get it a couple of weeks before class starts. The classes you will be taking during block 1 are Biochem, Immunology, Genetics, Histology, Principles of Primary Care, and OMM. We also had Micro but the instructor told me the other day that you guys will not have that until block 2. I was probably one of the people that was the most against the exam change. We had a meeting with the dean last week and I am starting to think everything will be ok. VCOM actually hired someone to come in and analyze the curriculum. He determined that we are tested way to often and suggested some changes. The dean even said that of her 15 years working in medical school admin she has never seen students so tired and burned out. The change will include less hours of lecture and incorporate some self study. She also made is seem like for those classes where we might have 60 hours of lecture in a block there will be more than 2 exams but for the classes where we only have 30 hours of lecture will just have 2 exams. We will all have to see how it works out but it sounds like it will be ok. Enjoy what you have left of your break!!!

thank you cyclegirl!! I appreciate the info :)

I was wondering if any of you 2010ers can give us 2011ers a heads up about school; meaning pros and cons by answering the questions below. I will also post it on the student mentor forum. I do understand that your time is restricted, but if you can answer some, that would be fine and i am sure everyone here will be thankful for your replies.

Simple format:

Curriculum:

Cost:

Faculty:

Clinical Rotations:

Housing:

Study areas:

Social Scene:

Local Hospitals:

Board Prep:

Specialty:

Grades:

Curriculum:
Financial Aid:
Faculty:
Study Space/Library:
Library technology/Resources:
Rotations:
Social:
Hospitals:
Post Grad:

Overall Grade:

or answer to questions:

Curriculum
1. Are there any special programs for which this medical school is noted?
2. Describe this school's curriculum in the pre-clinical and clinical years. Are there any innovations, like Problem-Based Learning?
3. Are there opportunities for students to design, conduct, and publish their own research?
4. Is there a note-taking service? If so, is it university-run or student-run?
5. Is there flexibility in the coursework (the number of electives) and the timing of the courses (accelerating, decelerating, and time off) during the pre-clinical and clinical years?
6. Has this medical school, or any of its clinical departments, been on probation or had its accreditation revoked?
7. How do students from this medical school perform on the National Board Examinations? How does the school assist students who do not pass?

Evaluations
8. How are students evaluated academically? How are clinical evaluations performed?
9. Is there a formal mechanism in place for students to evaluate their professors and attending physicians? What changes have been made recently as a result of this feedback?

Counseling/Student Support
10. What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students? Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children?
11. Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students, or both?
12. How diverse is the student body? Are there support services or organizations for ethnic minorities and women?

Facilities
13. Tell me about the library and extracurricular facilities (i.e., housing and athletic/recreational facilities).
14. Are there computer facilities available to students? Are they integrated into the curriculum/learning?
15. What type of clinical sites—ambulatory, private preceptors, private hospitals, rural settings—are available or required for clerkships? Does this school allow for students to do rotations at other institutions or internationally?
16. Is a car necessary for clinical rotations? Is parking a problem?

Financial Aid
17. What is the current tuition and fees? Is this expected to increase yearly? If so, at what rate?
18. Are there stable levels of federal financial aid and substantial amounts of university/medical school endowment aid available to students?
19. Are there students who have an "unmet need" factor in their budget? If so, where do these students come up with the extra funds?
20. Are spouses and dependents/children covered in a student's budget?
21. Is someone available to assist students with budgeting and financial planning?
22. Does this school provide guidance to its students, and to its graduates/alumni, on debt management?

Student Involvement
23. What medical school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation?
24. Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service?
25. How active is the Student Council/Government? Are there other student organizations?
Policies
26. Is there an established protocol for dealing with student exposure to infectious diseases? Is disability insurance provided to cover this exposure?
27. Does this school provide, or does the student pay for, vaccinations against Hepatitis B or prophylactic AZT treatment in case of a needle-stick or accident?
28. Is there a school Honor Code? Is there a grievance process/procedure? Are the students involved?
Residency
29. May I see a list of residency programs to which this school's recent graduates were accepted?

Questions to Ask Yourself
30. Does this school have strengths in the type of medicine (primary versus specialized care, urban versus rural practice environment, academic medicine versus private practice) that I will want to practice?
31. Would I be happy at this school (for at least the next four years)?

Thanks a million :) everyone

Ok, I’m going to preface this with one thing: I am not a cheerleader. I am not a smiling ball of laughter and sunshine here to blast wholesome-goodness up your @ss. I am very blunt. I tell things like I see them. I also do like my school, though I try hide that behind layers of sarcasm.

Curriculum
1. Are there any special programs for which this medical school is noted?

VCOM likes to talk about its systems-based blocks. It also likes to talk about its commitment to rural and underserved regions in Appalachia, yet seems to like to talk about international missions even more. Sometimes I have to wonder if the dean has lost sight of the stated mission of this school when trying to set up sites in Latin American nations. By putting bodies into the community hospitals of SW Virginia, we are helping the area re: medical care, but I think more could be accomplished if we focused on problems at home, rather than the looking to build more glamorous international medical mission sites.

We have a number of excellent faculty members, though I do not know if any are particularly well-known in their line of work (honestly, I don’t care whether or not the professors are well known, so long as they can teach me what I need to know). There are also some not-so-stellar professors; but that’s life, and why we have textbooks.

2. Describe this school's curriculum in the pre-clinical and clinical years. Are there any innovations, like Problem-Based Learning?

Pre-clinical: Divided into 12 blocks (6 each year), you hit each major organ system twice, going through the anatomy/physiology the first time around (yes, we do Anatomy and lab January through September), then doing pathology and pharmacology in second year. First block is filled with all the basic sciences—biochemistry, immunology, genetics, micro (I hear that’s going to block 2, for future classes), and epidemiology (not sure where that’s going). Histology was previously included in anatomy, but is now its own course. Principals of Primary Care (with OMM) and Clinical Case Correlations are also throughout each year. CCC delves into the various diseases/disorders from a clinician’s standpoint (versus a pathologist’s or pharmacist’s standpoint). We usually go for 5-10 weeks on, one week off; lather, rinse, and repeat. Our summer after first year was three weeks long, but I think it’s a whole month for class 2010. We also have five weeks between second and third year (for boards), and a month between third and fourth year (again, for boards). Spring of second year also sees the arrival of Early Clinical Experiences: we spend Fridays either doing clinical skills labs (IVs, sutures, casting/splinting, etc), or spending the day in some part of the hospital or outpatient setting (hospice, free clinic, IM, radiology, pharmacy, etc). These vary greatly in how much they are actually worth doing--but they're all required.

Clinical: All I can say is, each clinical year is divided into 9 one-month rotations. Third year is all core rotations: FM, EM, Surgery, Psych, OB/Gyn, Peds, Geriatrics, Rural PC, and IM. Fourth year is 2 surgical selectives, 3 medical selectives, 4 electives. Can’t comment further about rotations, ask me again next year.

3. Are there opportunities for students to design, conduct, and publish their own research?

I’m sure there are, as with any medical school. It’s just not laid out there with a big red sign saying “Student Research Here!” you have to go looking for the opportunity. I know of some classmates involved in faculty research projects (and several have presented original posters at some conferences), and we have a DO/PhD program, as well.

4. Is there a note-taking service? If so, is it university-run or student-run?

There is no note-taking service (since we're expected to all show up here with bright, shining faces, eager to learn :thumbdown:), but all lectures are required to be made available in powerpoint or word document format (usually ppt) online before class. This usually happens. When it doesn't, those lectures are posted by the end of the day. These lectures then remain online throughout the block. Some people record lectures, and generally let others know that they have them, should anyone really want to listen, for that complete grey-box experience.

5. Is there flexibility in the coursework (the number of electives) and the timing of the courses (accelerating, decelerating, and time off) during the pre-clinical and clinical years?

The extent of preclinical flexibility is that you aren’t quite sure what's in the later blocks, as they may change on you (constantly trying to find the best fit). Though, I wouldn’t call this ‘flexible’ so much as ‘dynamic’ (love those spin-words).

As far as the school being flexible, should life gets out of hand, admin has been fairly reasonable. If you don’t pass a course, you may be allowed to remediate during the break between classes (often consists of retaking the final, or doing some other coursework). If you pass the remediation, you are allowed to continue with the rest of the class. A few students from my class were allowed to remain at VCOM, but are now one class behind us (various reasons as to why). Two other notables were absent for prolonged periods of time due to medical issues, and have been allowed to stay in our class. They just had to make up all the missed work on their own, in addition to all the normal coursework—which can be extensive, as one of them missed an entire block.

In the clinical years, you don’t have any electives 3rd year--9 core rotations at many different sites, but you get more than a fair bit of input into what region you go. Fourth year has 5 selectives (2 surgical, 3 medical), and 4 electives, so you can pretty much do as you wish, where you wish.

6. Has this medical school, or any of its clinical departments, been on probation or had its accreditation revoked?

We just got started, and just got accreditation (first class graduated June 2007, so we are now fully accredited).

7. How do students from this medical school perform on the National Board Examinations? How does the school assist students who do not pass?

Too early to tell, as only 2 classes have taken COMLEX 1 so far, and the school won’t give us the hard numbers (just gave us some fluffy statistics about them doing ‘well’ and that there was a high-correlation between boards score and performance in pre-clinical years…Naw, you don’t say?). There was, apparently, a substantial increase in scores (along the lines of 50 points) between the first and second class, though.

Not sure what they do to help those that don’t pass (and I hope I never find out). This year, the school decided to give each of us $500 to put toward whatever board prep program we want (most of us chose one form or another of Boards Boot Camp), so that’s pretty sweet.

Evaluations
8. How are students evaluated academically? How are clinical evaluations performed?

Preclinically: GPA based on 4-point scale (A = 4, B = 3, etc). This is based on exams, quizzes, pre and post cases, and/or practicals, depending on the class in question.

Clinically: At the end of each month, the preceptor is supposed to fill out an evaluation form for each student. This does not factor into GPA, but decide the whole Pass/Fail/Honor thing. There is also a “shelf” exam of VCOM’s own creation that (as of this year) will be graded, and factor in to GPA—or so we’ve been told (previously, it was just graded as Pass/Fail). I have been told that in previous years, some of the questions on the exam were just plain ridiculous…like WTF was that?! kind of ridiculous. Now that they actually count, I really hope they fix this (let’s all cross our fingers).

9. Is there a formal mechanism in place for students to evaluate their professors and attending physicians? What changes have been made recently as a result of this feedback?

Not anymore. We used to have an extensive online questionaire at the end of each block to evaluate each professor using several standard questions, and one large comment section at the end. In order to receive grades, 75% of the class had to submit the evals. Now, each course eval is reduced to just a few general questions about the course as a whole, and no comment section…this does not make me a happy camper. Also, questions from non-final exams may be challenged, and will be dropped if the challenge is accepted. I believe that there is still a student evaluation of each site and preceptor, but I cannot comment on this, as I have not yet started the third year.

There were huge changes made due to feedback (some professors no longer teaching as much, or changing lecture/exam styles). Students were required to sit on at least one Continuing Quality Improvement meeting, where they went through all the feedback for a given class, digested it, and summarized it for the administration. I believe this is still done, but I have not had to take part since the first time (was it something I said?). The biggest example of feedback in action is the change from multiple exams each block to a midterm week and finals week, to take effect 2007/2008 academic year. Gone will be the days of 3+ exams nearly every week. Now, there'll apparently be two weeks of nothing but exams. I'd rather be tested more frequently, but I don't have to put up with the new policy, anyway, so it matters not to me.

Counseling/Student Support
10. What kind of academic, personal, financial, and career counseling is available to students? Are these services also offered to their spouses and dependents/children?

I can’t speak too much about this, as I haven’t used any of them.

11. Is there a mentor/advisor system? Who are the advisors—faculty members, other students, or both?

Each incoming student is assigned two ‘big siblings’ in the class above, and two faculty advisors (one academic, one clinical). My big siblings really weren’t involved with me, but I give old exams/notes/assignments to my little siblings, when I can. The extent of involvement varies between advisors/mentors. At the end of first year, you are reassigned a new advisor, and involvement varies again. They sometimes try to match you to a clinical advisor that matches your interests—example: most of the EM club officers and active members were assigned the head of the EM department.

12. How diverse is the student body? Are there support services or organizations for ethnic minorities and women?

Each class is hugely different. My class was a little bit older than the next, and had a lot of second-career/non-traditional students in addition to those straight from undergrad. I believe over half the class is women, and we have a good number of minorities. Yes, there are student organizations specifically for minorities and women.

Facilities
13. Tell me about the library and extracurricular facilities (i.e., housing and athletic/recreational facilities).

The library is small, but has access to a fair number of texts electronically, which you can access from anywhere. There is also a large room next to the library for study space, with individual computer cubicles (power outlets in each; wireless throughout the grounds). There is no local VCOM housing, and I cannot speak yet for VCOM housing for clinicals (which would vary by site, anyway). There are no VCOM-specific athletic/recreational facilities, though we have grad student privileges at Virginia Tech, and can use their facilities (and go to their games, do intramural sports, etc).

14. Are there computer facilities available to students? Are they integrated into the curriculum/learning?

The library has a half-dozen desktop computers, but it is expected that you use your laptop on campus. Most people use these computers to quickly check email when stopping by, or to print something off in the library (used to be free, now they charge). Each table in the gross anatomy lab also has a computer with VH dissector installed, and instructions for the lab, so that those not involved in actually dissecting can follow along on the computer.

15. What type of clinical sites—ambulatory, private preceptors, private hospitals, rural settings—are available or required for clerkships? Does this school allow for students to do rotations at other institutions or internationally?

VCOM currently has 6 different regions for rotations (each region having several hospitals), with sites varying from outpatient clinics, to VA hospitals, to private hospitals, to rural community hospitals. All students have one required month of rural primary care, but some regions end up having a lot more rural medicine. Fourth year rotations can be just about anywhere (including overseas), but it takes a lot to get third year rotations outside of the standard VCOM regions (can be done, though). However, if you are military, you can do up to 3 months each year at DoD sites which have an MOU with the school (such as Portsmouth, Womack, etc).

16. Is a car necessary for clinical rotations? Is parking a problem?

A car will be necessary for most rotations. For some, VCOM housing is apparently right next to the hospital, so you should be able to walk. Parking will, of course, vary based on the hospital in question.

Financial Aid

I really can’t answer these questions. I sold my soul to the Army (HPSP).

Student Involvement
23. What medical school committees (e.g., curriculum committee) have student representation?

Some committees have student representation (Via Wellness Committee comes to mind), but I don’t know about any curriculum committees, or anything of the sort. The Council of Presidents (the Presidents of each student organization) also meets regularly to discuss issues that pertain to more than one group.

24. Are students involved in (required or voluntary) community service?

Students can be involved in whatever they want, but no one is holding a gun saying “Sacrifice for the community, or this cute, little puppy gets it!” I volunteer 100+ hours per month serving the town of Blacksburg, but I’m weird, in case you can’t already tell (this town has been my home for seven years, and I’ve been a medic with the rescue squad here since undergrad). Most students aren’t heavily involved in community service (though community service of one form or another is common enough). There are a few other sick freaks, though, that can’t seem to get enough to do at school, so pile on more and more (yeah, you know who you are…hard working bastards).

25. How active is the Student Council/Government? Are there other student organizations?

Not sure just how active our class officers are. They have a lot of meetings with admin that we are not privy to (but the report back to us fairly regularly). We have a plethora of student organizations, with activity level varying greatly from organization to organization, and year to year. There’s an organization for most medical specialties, and others for major areas of interest (SOMA, military medicine, Virginia Rural Health Association, etc).

Policies
26. Is there an established protocol for dealing with student exposure to infectious diseases? Is disability insurance provided to cover this exposure?

I’m sure there’s a policy, most of us just don’t know it off the top of our heads. As for insurance, we all have to have our own health and life insurance prior to matriculation, so I would assume that this comes under one of those headings. I have no idea if the school or hospitals have any additional coverage for exposure.

27. Does this school provide, or does the student pay for, vaccinations against Hepatitis B or prophylactic AZT treatment in case of a needle-stick or accident?

All students are required to have HepB immunization, along with many others, before coming to VCOM. The school does not pay for this (that I recall). I have no idea about post-exposure prophylaxis, and I really hope I never need to find out.

28. Is there a school Honor Code? Is there a grievance process/procedure? Are the students involved?

Oh yeah, there’s an Honor Code, alright. Student-written, and student-run. There are also some peasants with pitchforks and torches (“she turned me into a newt”), but we try not to pay too much attention to those.

Residency
29. May I see a list of residency programs to which this school's recent graduates were accepted?

It’s posted somewhere here on SDN, and I don’t have a copy readily available, myself.

So there you are. Remember, all opinions expressed herein are mine, and mine alone. No, you cannot have them, get your own (*thwak*).

Psychbender you must have been trying to find anything to do other than studying. Don't we all have finals right now? :)

Thank you psychbender for the info. I appreciate your opinion and your time u put into it. :)